Default Just Starting Out

We've just moved to the SouthWest.
and
I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.

Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
that taste soap when we eat cilantro.

On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.

I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
too many exotic ingredients ??

<rj>
Wayne Lundberg

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> We've just moved to the SouthWest.
> and
> I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.
>
> Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
> that taste soap when we eat cilantro.
>
> On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
> A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.
>
> I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
> Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
> too many exotic ingredients ??
>
> <rj>

My suggestion is to start learning the different tastes in a simple,
uncomplicated manner. when my uncle George came down to Mexico, never having
tasted Mexican food, we gave him a heated corn tortilla with a bit of butter
on it, rolled into a tight taco. He loved them! The next day we did the same
except not with butter, but with some avocado pulp and salt with a tad bit
of onion and cilantro. By the third day we had him eating soft tortilla
tacos filled with finely chopped broiled beef and a tad bit of fresh green
and red salsa.

For you, I would suggest the fourth day to take one of the leftover corn
tortillas, deep fry it until crisp, spread some refried beans on one
surface, sprinkle with parmesano cheese and some chicharones plus a slice or
two of avocado and enjoy one of Mexico's true delights - a tostada.

If you get back to us after your experimental dive into Mexican taste, we
will give you more. You could go through life without ever having the same
Mexican meal twice!

Wayne

Wayne Lundberg

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> We've just moved to the SouthWest.
> and
> I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.
>
> Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
> that taste soap when we eat cilantro.
>
> On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
> A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.
>
> I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
> Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
> too many exotic ingredients ??
>
> <rj>

My suggestion is to start learning the different tastes in a simple,
uncomplicated manner. when my uncle George came down to Mexico, never having
tasted Mexican food, we gave him a heated corn tortilla with a bit of butter
on it, rolled into a tight taco. He loved them! The next day we did the same
except not with butter, but with some avocado pulp and salt with a tad bit
of onion and cilantro. By the third day we had him eating soft tortilla
tacos filled with finely chopped broiled beef and a tad bit of fresh green
and red salsa.

For you, I would suggest the fourth day to take one of the leftover corn
tortillas, deep fry it until crisp, spread some refried beans on one
surface, sprinkle with parmesano cheese and some chicharones plus a slice or
two of avocado and enjoy one of Mexico's true delights - a tostada.

If you get back to us after your experimental dive into Mexican taste, we
will give you more. You could go through life without ever having the same
Mexican meal twice!

Wayne

Carolyn LeCrone

Drain and rinse one can black beans. Add defrosted white corn,chopped red
onion, a little roasted red pepper, and a bit of minced jalapeno. Dress
with lime juice, oil, salt and pepper. I use a bit of dried cilantro as my
husband doesn't like the "soapy" taste of fresh.
"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> We've just moved to the SouthWest.
> and
> I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.
>
> Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
> that taste soap when we eat cilantro.
>
> On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
> A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.
>
> I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
> Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
> too many exotic ingredients ??
>
> <rj>

Carolyn LeCrone

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> We've just moved to the SouthWest.
> and
> I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.
>
> Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
> that taste soap when we eat cilantro.
>
> On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
> A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.
>
> I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
> Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
> too many exotic ingredients ??
>
> <rj>

hahabogus

"Carolyn LeCrone" > wrote in
:

> Drain and rinse one can black beans. Add defrosted white corn,chopped
> red onion, a little roasted red pepper, and a bit of minced jalapeno.
> Dress with lime juice, oil, salt and pepper. I use a bit of dried
> cilantro as my husband doesn't like the "soapy" taste of fresh.

And of course some garlic. Never forget the garlic (Life Rule #2).
Possibly add some of that canned green chiles (small can)...if you can't
get fresh.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

"Carolyn LeCrone" > wrote in
:

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
lgo

"Carolyn LeCrone" > wrote in
:

> Drain and rinse one can black beans. Add defrosted white corn,chopped
> red onion, a little roasted red pepper, and a bit of minced jalapeno.
> Dress with lime juice, oil, salt and pepper. I use a bit of dried
> cilantro as my husband doesn't like the "soapy" taste of fresh.
> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
>> We've just moved to the SouthWest.
>> and
>> I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.
>>
>> Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
>> that taste soap when we eat cilantro.
>>
>> On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
>> A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.
>>
>> I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
>> Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
>> too many exotic ingredients ??
>>
>> <rj>

Tex-Mex is not Mexican cooking. At least, not the way I know it.

lgo
lgo

"Carolyn LeCrone" > wrote in
:

> Drain and rinse one can black beans. Add defrosted white corn,chopped
> red onion, a little roasted red pepper, and a bit of minced jalapeno.
> Dress with lime juice, oil, salt and pepper. I use a bit of dried
> cilantro as my husband doesn't like the "soapy" taste of fresh.
> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
>> We've just moved to the SouthWest.
>> and
>> I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.
>>
>> Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
>> that taste soap when we eat cilantro.
>>
>> On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
>> A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.
>>
>> I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
>> Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
>> too many exotic ingredients ??
>>
>> <rj>

Tex-Mex is not Mexican cooking. At least, not the way I know it.

lgo
lgo

"Carolyn LeCrone" > wrote in
:

> Drain and rinse one can black beans. Add defrosted white corn,chopped
> red onion, a little roasted red pepper, and a bit of minced jalapeno.
> Dress with lime juice, oil, salt and pepper. I use a bit of dried
> cilantro as my husband doesn't like the "soapy" taste of fresh.
> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
>> We've just moved to the SouthWest.
>> and
>> I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.
>>
>> Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
>> that taste soap when we eat cilantro.
>>
>> On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
>> A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.
>>
>> I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
>> Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
>> too many exotic ingredients ??
>>
>> <rj>

Tex-Mex is not Mexican cooking. At least, not the way I know it.

lgo

Easy way is to buy a package of frozen fire roasted corn, 1 can of black
beans in water, jalapeño peppers minced fine, lime juice, diced tomatoes,
and diced green onions, cilantro is used but can be omitted, or added to
your taste.

Thaw the fire roasted corn, drain the black beans and wash, combine the two,
mince the jalapeño and add a little at a time to your taste, add a small
amount of the lime juice (taste it till you like it), add diced tomatoes,
green onions, salt & pepper. Taste it then take a small amount and slowly
add some cilantro to it. If you find that you do not like the taste, leave
the original batch as is.
Enjoy
Chef R. W. Miller
Marriott Resorts & Hotels

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> We've just moved to the SouthWest.
> and
> I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.
>
> Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
> that taste soap when we eat cilantro.
>
> On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
> A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.
>
> I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
> Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
> too many exotic ingredients ??
>
> <rj>

sf

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:44:13 GMT,
> wrote:

> frozen fire roasted corn

Which company puts this out?

sf

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:44:13 GMT,
> wrote:

> frozen fire roasted corn

Which company puts this out?

sf

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:44:13 GMT,
> wrote:

> frozen fire roasted corn

Which company puts this out?

Karen O'Mara

lgo <lgo@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrs tuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com> wrote in message news:<0HTMc.62383$Oi5.39780@okepread07>...
> Tex-Mex is not Mexican cooking. At least, not the way I know it.

Tex-Mex has more Mexican influence than anything else, expect perhaps
Tex. It's not Chinese food, anyway!

Karen
Steve House

Joining discussion late...

I grew up in Albuquerque and I find "Tex-Mex" to be closer to what I grew up
with eating in cafes in little New Mexico villages etc than anything else
I've found in the rest of the States, including Southern California. Even
down in Mexico itself it's not quite what I think of as "Mexican" as it's
nowhere nearly as heavy on the chilis and actually quite different from New
Mexican country and indian reservation cooking. For example, last night I
threw together some enchildas - brown up some beef or pork and onion, add
some basic red chili sauce and let it simmer. Melted a bit of lard in a
cast iron skillet and when hot enough took corn tortillas and cooked about
30 seconds on a side. Onto a plate, layer on some chili meat, add another
tortilla, more meat, etc stacking them like pancakes on each person's
serving plates. Once layered about 3 tortillas high, add some meat on top
and a runny sunny-side up fried egg, ladle over some red sauce, sprinkle
with grated cheese, and pop under the broiler for a minute or so to melt the
cheese. Serve with pinto beans on the side. Quite different from what you
usually get when you order "enchiladas" in most places either in the States
or Mexico.

Here's a great online cookbook reference from the Public Service Company of
New Mexico
http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...s.cocinas.html

Steve

"Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
om...
> lgo

<lgo@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrs tuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com>
wrote in message news:<0HTMc.62383$Oi5.39780@okepread07>...
> > Tex-Mex is not Mexican cooking. At least, not the way I know it.

> Tex-Mex has more Mexican influence than anything else, expect perhaps
> Tex. It's not Chinese food, anyway!
>
> Karen

David Wright

On 7 Aug 2004 09:25:13 -0500, "Steve House"
> wrote:

>Joining discussion late...
>
>For example, last night I
>threw together some enchildas -

We had something similar for breakfast yesterday (Sunday) morning. I
made stacked enchiladas using green chile sauce and queso fresco.
Instead of frying the egg to put on top, I poached them in the
left-over sauce, and scooped up some extra sauce as well as the egg.
Mighty tasty!

>Here's a great online cookbook reference from the Public Service Company of
>New Mexico
>http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...s.cocinas.html
>
>Steve

I like that one, too. Also, "Feast of Santa Fe" by Huntley Dent has
some culinary history of New Mexico to go along with the good recipes.

David

P.S. Nice to see someone else in this ng who has an affinity for
"New-Mex!"
David Wright

On 7 Aug 2004 09:25:13 -0500, "Steve House"
> wrote:

>Joining discussion late...
>
>For example, last night I
>threw together some enchildas -

We had something similar for breakfast yesterday (Sunday) morning. I
made stacked enchiladas using green chile sauce and queso fresco.
Instead of frying the egg to put on top, I poached them in the
left-over sauce, and scooped up some extra sauce as well as the egg.
Mighty tasty!

>Here's a great online cookbook reference from the Public Service Company of
>New Mexico
>http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...s.cocinas.html
>
>Steve

I like that one, too. Also, "Feast of Santa Fe" by Huntley Dent has
some culinary history of New Mexico to go along with the good recipes.

David

P.S. Nice to see someone else in this ng who has an affinity for
"New-Mex!"
Tuffchett

On 7 Aug 2004 09:25:13 -0500, "Steve House"
> wrote:

>Joining discussion late...
>
>I grew up in Albuquerque and I find "Tex-Mex" to be closer to what I grew up
>with eating in cafes in little New Mexico villages etc than anything else
>I've found in the rest of the States, including Southern California. Even
>down in Mexico itself it's not quite what I think of as "Mexican" as it's
>nowhere nearly as heavy on the chilis and actually quite different from New
>Mexican country and indian reservation cooking. For example, last night I
>threw together some enchildas - brown up some beef or pork and onion, add
>some basic red chili sauce and let it simmer. Melted a bit of lard in a
>cast iron skillet and when hot enough took corn tortillas and cooked about
>30 seconds on a side. Onto a plate, layer on some chili meat, add another
>tortilla, more meat, etc stacking them like pancakes on each person's
>serving plates. Once layered about 3 tortillas high, add some meat on top
>and a runny sunny-side up fried egg, ladle over some red sauce, sprinkle
>with grated cheese, and pop under the broiler for a minute or so to melt the
>cheese. Serve with pinto beans on the side. Quite different from what you
>usually get when you order "enchiladas" in most places either in the States
>or Mexico.
>
>Here's a great online cookbook reference from the Public Service Company of
>New Mexico
>http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...s.cocinas.html
>
>Steve

Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put it
on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
David

Tuffchett

On 7 Aug 2004 09:25:13 -0500, "Steve House"
> wrote:

>Joining discussion late...
>
>I grew up in Albuquerque and I find "Tex-Mex" to be closer to what I grew up
>with eating in cafes in little New Mexico villages etc than anything else
>I've found in the rest of the States, including Southern California. Even
>down in Mexico itself it's not quite what I think of as "Mexican" as it's
>nowhere nearly as heavy on the chilis and actually quite different from New
>Mexican country and indian reservation cooking. For example, last night I
>threw together some enchildas - brown up some beef or pork and onion, add
>some basic red chili sauce and let it simmer. Melted a bit of lard in a
>cast iron skillet and when hot enough took corn tortillas and cooked about
>30 seconds on a side. Onto a plate, layer on some chili meat, add another
>tortilla, more meat, etc stacking them like pancakes on each person's
>serving plates. Once layered about 3 tortillas high, add some meat on top
>and a runny sunny-side up fried egg, ladle over some red sauce, sprinkle
>with grated cheese, and pop under the broiler for a minute or so to melt the
>cheese. Serve with pinto beans on the side. Quite different from what you
>usually get when you order "enchiladas" in most places either in the States
>or Mexico.
>
>Here's a great online cookbook reference from the Public Service Company of
>New Mexico
>http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...s.cocinas.html
>
>Steve

Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put it
on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
David
jw

"Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put

it
> on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> David

David,
Two of the best "eating" years of my life were spent in the service at
Sandia Base in the mid-60's. I had never eaten any "Mexican" food
before that time. Needless to say I fell in love with New Mexican
style dishes. My fondest memories are the Sopapilla and the Green
Chilli. The oldtimers on the base loved to catch the newbie with "You
better order the green because it's not as hot as the red." We spent
a lot of time in a little place -- and bear in mind my memory is not
what it use to be -- called Jotters. If I recall it was a drive-in on
of the main streets. I have ask on occasion if the place still
existed but noone remembers Jotters. We would stop in after enjoying
the Albuquerque night life -- the Hitching Post and a bar downtown
that was the roughest bar I've ever been in and I grew up in the PA
coal mining area -- and have a bowl of Green Chilli stew.
My question is -- was the name Jotters? If not what was the name of
the drive-in eating places in the downtown area in the 60's. If I
thought that Jotters still existed I would change my travel plans this
fall.

JW

jw

"Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put

it
> on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> David

David,
Two of the best "eating" years of my life were spent in the service at
Sandia Base in the mid-60's. I had never eaten any "Mexican" food
before that time. Needless to say I fell in love with New Mexican
style dishes. My fondest memories are the Sopapilla and the Green
Chilli. The oldtimers on the base loved to catch the newbie with "You
better order the green because it's not as hot as the red." We spent
a lot of time in a little place -- and bear in mind my memory is not
what it use to be -- called Jotters. If I recall it was a drive-in on
of the main streets. I have ask on occasion if the place still
existed but noone remembers Jotters. We would stop in after enjoying
the Albuquerque night life -- the Hitching Post and a bar downtown
that was the roughest bar I've ever been in and I grew up in the PA
coal mining area -- and have a bowl of Green Chilli stew.
My question is -- was the name Jotters? If not what was the name of
the drive-in eating places in the downtown area in the 60's. If I
thought that Jotters still existed I would change my travel plans this
fall.

JW

jw

"Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put

it
> on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> David

David,
Two of the best "eating" years of my life were spent in the service at
Sandia Base in the mid-60's. I had never eaten any "Mexican" food
before that time. Needless to say I fell in love with New Mexican
style dishes. My fondest memories are the Sopapilla and the Green
Chilli. The oldtimers on the base loved to catch the newbie with "You
better order the green because it's not as hot as the red." We spent
a lot of time in a little place -- and bear in mind my memory is not
what it use to be -- called Jotters. If I recall it was a drive-in on
of the main streets. I have ask on occasion if the place still
existed but noone remembers Jotters. We would stop in after enjoying
the Albuquerque night life -- the Hitching Post and a bar downtown
that was the roughest bar I've ever been in and I grew up in the PA
coal mining area -- and have a bowl of Green Chilli stew.
My question is -- was the name Jotters? If not what was the name of
the drive-in eating places in the downtown area in the 60's. If I
thought that Jotters still existed I would change my travel plans this
fall.

JW

John Droge

"Steve House" > wrote in message
> Joining discussion late...
>
> I grew up in Albuquerque and I find "Tex-Mex" to be closer to what I grew

up
> with eating in cafes in little New Mexico villages etc than anything else

Steve
Did you ever eat at Sally's? I don't remember much about it other then the
food was really good and it was of all things in a bowling alley and the
name might not even be Sally's (age you know and it was about 10 years ago
that I was there)
John

John Droge

"Steve House" > wrote in message
> Joining discussion late...
>
> I grew up in Albuquerque and I find "Tex-Mex" to be closer to what I grew

up
> with eating in cafes in little New Mexico villages etc than anything else

Steve
Did you ever eat at Sally's? I don't remember much about it other then the
food was really good and it was of all things in a bowling alley and the
name might not even be Sally's (age you know and it was about 10 years ago
that I was there)
John

John Droge

"jw" > wrote in message

> "Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> > Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> > I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> > Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> > Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> > rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> > or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> > I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put

> it
> > on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> > David

> David,
> Two of the best "eating" years of my life were spent in the service at
> Sandia Base in the mid-60's. I had never eaten any "Mexican" food
> before that time. Needless to say I fell in love with New Mexican
> style dishes. My fondest memories are the Sopapilla and the Green
> Chilli. The oldtimers on the base loved to catch the newbie with "You
> better order the green because it's not as hot as the red." We spent
> a lot of time in a little place -- and bear in mind my memory is not
> what it use to be -- called Jotters. If I recall it was a drive-in on
> of the main streets. I have ask on occasion if the place still
> existed but noone remembers Jotters. We would stop in after enjoying
> the Albuquerque night life -- the Hitching Post and a bar downtown
> that was the roughest bar I've ever been in and I grew up in the PA
> coal mining area -- and have a bowl of Green Chilli stew.
> My question is -- was the name Jotters? If not what was the name of
> the drive-in eating places in the downtown area in the 60's. If I
> thought that Jotters still existed I would change my travel plans this
> fall.
>
> JW

Say with you guys all familiar with NM do any of you have a good recipe for
Green Chile Stew?. There used to be a place on Sante Fe here in Denver that
had what the called "New Mexico Style", it was basically meat green chiles
and potatoes in a pretty watery sauce that I liked a lot. It's gone now and
my attempts at duping have been disappointing.
John

Tuffchett

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:46:19 GMT, "John Droge"
> wrote:

>"Steve House" > wrote in message
>> Joining discussion late...
>>
>> I grew up in Albuquerque and I find "Tex-Mex" to be closer to what I grew

>up
>> with eating in cafes in little New Mexico villages etc than anything else

>Steve
>Did you ever eat at Sally's? I don't remember much about it other then the
>food was really good and it was of all things in a bowling alley and the
>name might not even be Sally's (age you know and it was about 10 years ago
>that I was there)
>John

Sadie's! Man do I miss that place. I forget where they were before the
bowling alley I think Lomas blvd. around 13th. Or that could have been
another great place. Its been 25 yrs. Beef and Bean burrito with Red
and Green together. Break a good sweat and I was a happy guy. And
great portion's! I can still see my friend and I sitting at a booth
looking down on the bowler's talking about just how good we have it.
Boy did we !
One of my favorite foods is Chilles Papa's. Mash the potatos add
green chilli's and longhorn cheese. and when they got a brown crust on
the bottom , scrap and turn. just like refies. When I broke my atkins
diet for a weekIt was one of the first things I had.
david
Steve House

Yep, I do indeed remember La Hacienda and La Placita both. Moved to
Albuquerque in 1960, graduated high school in '62 and from UNM in '74.
During high school my buddies and I would go to a place after school, I
think it was called Princess Pat, at Menaul and Eubank and wash dishes for
an hour or so in exchange for a big platter of enchiladas. Spent a couple
of years down in Socorro right after high school and I think the best chili
I ever had was in a little bar out on a back road down near the bosque in
Bernardo, about 25 miles north of Socorro. Little place was an old adobe
building literally with a dirt floor - had a long wooden bar and maybe 6
tables -- can't remember its name now. Owners wife did the cooking in a
little back kitchen.

My favorite Old Town restaurant was El Molino Rojo - was on the second floor
about the middle of the block on the south side of the Plaza. During my
college years would go to Bacas a lot because it was near campus. Was back
in town for a few days a couple of years ago and had a couple of good meals
at Monroe's down on Lomas. And each time I make it back to the state I try
to pass through Chimayo about lunch or dinner time for a stop at Rancho de
Chimayo.

Steve House

"Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> On 7 Aug 2004 09:25:13 -0500, "Steve House"
> > wrote:
>
> >Joining discussion late...
> >
> >I grew up in Albuquerque and I find "Tex-Mex" to be closer to what I grew

up
> >with eating in cafes in little New Mexico villages etc than anything else
> >I've found in the rest of the States, including Southern California.

Even
> >down in Mexico itself it's not quite what I think of as "Mexican" as it's
> >nowhere nearly as heavy on the chilis and actually quite different from

New
> >Mexican country and indian reservation cooking. For example, last night

> >threw together some enchildas - brown up some beef or pork and onion, add
> >some basic red chili sauce and let it simmer. Melted a bit of lard in a
> >cast iron skillet and when hot enough took corn tortillas and cooked

about
> >30 seconds on a side. Onto a plate, layer on some chili meat, add

another
> >tortilla, more meat, etc stacking them like pancakes on each person's
> >serving plates. Once layered about 3 tortillas high, add some meat on

top
> >and a runny sunny-side up fried egg, ladle over some red sauce, sprinkle
> >with grated cheese, and pop under the broiler for a minute or so to melt

the
> >cheese. Serve with pinto beans on the side. Quite different from what

you
> >usually get when you order "enchiladas" in most places either in the

States
> >or Mexico.
> >
> >Here's a great online cookbook reference from the Public Service Company

of
> >New Mexico
> >http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...s.cocinas.html
> >
> >Steve
> >

> Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put it
> on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> David

Steve House

"Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> On 7 Aug 2004 09:25:13 -0500, "Steve House"
> > wrote:
>
> >Joining discussion late...
> >
> >I grew up in Albuquerque and I find "Tex-Mex" to be closer to what I grew

up
> >with eating in cafes in little New Mexico villages etc than anything else
> >I've found in the rest of the States, including Southern California.

Even
> >down in Mexico itself it's not quite what I think of as "Mexican" as it's
> >nowhere nearly as heavy on the chilis and actually quite different from

New
> >Mexican country and indian reservation cooking. For example, last night

> >threw together some enchildas - brown up some beef or pork and onion, add
> >some basic red chili sauce and let it simmer. Melted a bit of lard in a
> >cast iron skillet and when hot enough took corn tortillas and cooked

about
> >30 seconds on a side. Onto a plate, layer on some chili meat, add

another
> >tortilla, more meat, etc stacking them like pancakes on each person's
> >serving plates. Once layered about 3 tortillas high, add some meat on

top
> >and a runny sunny-side up fried egg, ladle over some red sauce, sprinkle
> >with grated cheese, and pop under the broiler for a minute or so to melt

the
> >cheese. Serve with pinto beans on the side. Quite different from what

you
> >usually get when you order "enchiladas" in most places either in the

States
> >or Mexico.
> >
> >Here's a great online cookbook reference from the Public Service Company

of
> >New Mexico
> >http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...s.cocinas.html
> >
> >Steve
> >

> Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put it
> on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> David

Steve House

Here's a recipe that I've made and liked, was well received.

Borrowed from Cocinas de Neuvo Mexico cookbook from the Public Service
Company of New Mexico

Guisado de Chile Verde (Green Chile Stew)
Yield: 6 servings Cooking Time: Approximately
Temperatu Medium, Low 1 hour
Freezes Well

2 pounds pork, venison, or beef, cubed 3 cups tomatoes
1/4 cup flour 2 cups water
2 tablespoons shortening 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 large onions, chopped 2 teaspoons salt
3 cups chopped green chile

1. Dredge the meat in flour. Place the shortening in a heavy skillet
and brown meat at medium heat. Place meat in a large stewing pot.
2. Sauté the onions in the remaining shortening and add to
stewing pot.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to stewing pot and simmer at low
heat for 1 hour.
When I've made it I also added some carrots

Serve with pinto beans, warm tortillas and honey

Steve House

"John Droge" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "jw" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> > > Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> > > I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> > > Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> > > Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> > > rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> > > or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> > > I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put

> > it
> > > on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> > > David

> > David,
> > Two of the best "eating" years of my life were spent in the service at
> > Sandia Base in the mid-60's. I had never eaten any "Mexican" food
> > before that time. Needless to say I fell in love with New Mexican
> > style dishes. My fondest memories are the Sopapilla and the Green
> > Chilli. The oldtimers on the base loved to catch the newbie with "You
> > better order the green because it's not as hot as the red." We spent
> > a lot of time in a little place -- and bear in mind my memory is not
> > what it use to be -- called Jotters. If I recall it was a drive-in on
> > of the main streets. I have ask on occasion if the place still
> > existed but noone remembers Jotters. We would stop in after enjoying
> > the Albuquerque night life -- the Hitching Post and a bar downtown
> > that was the roughest bar I've ever been in and I grew up in the PA
> > coal mining area -- and have a bowl of Green Chilli stew.
> > My question is -- was the name Jotters? If not what was the name of
> > the drive-in eating places in the downtown area in the 60's. If I
> > thought that Jotters still existed I would change my travel plans this
> > fall.
> >
> > JW
> >

> Say with you guys all familiar with NM do any of you have a good recipe

for
> Green Chile Stew?. There used to be a place on Sante Fe here in Denver

that
> had what the called "New Mexico Style", it was basically meat green chiles
> and potatoes in a pretty watery sauce that I liked a lot. It's gone now

and
> my attempts at duping have been disappointing.
> John

Steve House

[...]

"John Droge" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "jw" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> > > Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> > > I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> > > Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> > > Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> > > rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> > > or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> > > I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put

> > it
> > > on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> > > David

> > David,
> > Two of the best "eating" years of my life were spent in the service at
> > Sandia Base in the mid-60's. I had never eaten any "Mexican" food
> > before that time. Needless to say I fell in love with New Mexican
> > style dishes. My fondest memories are the Sopapilla and the Green
> > Chilli. The oldtimers on the base loved to catch the newbie with "You
> > better order the green because it's not as hot as the red." We spent
> > a lot of time in a little place -- and bear in mind my memory is not
> > what it use to be -- called Jotters. If I recall it was a drive-in on
> > of the main streets. I have ask on occasion if the place still
> > existed but noone remembers Jotters. We would stop in after enjoying
> > the Albuquerque night life -- the Hitching Post and a bar downtown
> > that was the roughest bar I've ever been in and I grew up in the PA
> > coal mining area -- and have a bowl of Green Chilli stew.
> > My question is -- was the name Jotters? If not what was the name of
> > the drive-in eating places in the downtown area in the 60's. If I
> > thought that Jotters still existed I would change my travel plans this
> > fall.
> >
> > JW
> >

> Say with you guys all familiar with NM do any of you have a good recipe

for
> Green Chile Stew?. There used to be a place on Sante Fe here in Denver

that
> had what the called "New Mexico Style", it was basically meat green chiles
> and potatoes in a pretty watery sauce that I liked a lot. It's gone now

and
> my attempts at duping have been disappointing.
> John

John Droge

"Steve House" > wrote in message
> Here's a recipe that I've made and liked, was well received.
>
> Borrowed from Cocinas de Neuvo Mexico cookbook from the Public Service
> Company of New Mexico
>
> Guisado de Chile Verde (Green Chile Stew)
> Yield: 6 servings Cooking Time: Approximately
> Temperatu Medium, Low 1 hour
> Freezes Well
>
> 2 pounds pork, venison, or beef, cubed 3 cups tomatoes
> 1/4 cup flour 2 cups water
> 2 tablespoons shortening 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
> 2 large onions, chopped 2 teaspoons salt
> 3 cups chopped green chile
>
> 1. Dredge the meat in flour. Place the shortening in a heavy skillet
> and brown meat at medium heat. Place meat in a large stewing pot.
> 2. Sauté the onions in the remaining shortening and add to
> stewing pot.
> 3. Add all remaining ingredients to stewing pot and simmer at low
> heat for 1 hour.
> When I've made it I also added some carrots
>
> Serve with pinto beans, warm tortillas and honey
>
> Steve House

Thanks Steve
John

John Droge

"Steve House" > wrote in message
> Here's a recipe that I've made and liked, was well received.
>
> Borrowed from Cocinas de Neuvo Mexico cookbook from the Public Service
> Company of New Mexico
>
> Guisado de Chile Verde (Green Chile Stew)
> Yield: 6 servings Cooking Time: Approximately
> Temperatu Medium, Low 1 hour
> Freezes Well
>
> 2 pounds pork, venison, or beef, cubed 3 cups tomatoes
> 1/4 cup flour 2 cups water
> 2 tablespoons shortening 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
> 2 large onions, chopped 2 teaspoons salt
> 3 cups chopped green chile
>
> 1. Dredge the meat in flour. Place the shortening in a heavy skillet
> and brown meat at medium heat. Place meat in a large stewing pot.
> 2. Sauté the onions in the remaining shortening and add to
> stewing pot.
> 3. Add all remaining ingredients to stewing pot and simmer at low
> heat for 1 hour.
> When I've made it I also added some carrots
>
> Serve with pinto beans, warm tortillas and honey
>
> Steve House

Thanks Steve
John

newsuser

In article >,
>Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
>I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
>Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
>Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
>rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
>or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
>I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put it
>on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> David

Dave, old buddy pal... :-) How about a recipe for your Red and Green?

Getting close to that time of year!

Johann

newsuser

In article >,