Old 12-05-2006, 05:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Country Fried Steak, was chicken fried steak last week

Last week there was a topic on chicken fried steak and the debate was
whether to serve gravy over this dish or not. I had posted that I was
going to buy some cubed steaks at the end of last week which, which I
did. On Wednesday I prepared them and put the cooked steaks back into
the gravy to lightly simmer for about an hour. I have found out if I
prepare these the day before they are to be consumed they are sooooo
much better the next day. I guess the spices somehow penetrate the
meat and make them more flavorful.

Well gang, I'm no fancy shmancy cook claiming to know all the culinary
secrets, but these were damned good for supper tonight!! Tender enough
to cut with a fork and the gravy was magnificent! Thanks for the
thread last week on the chicken fried steak and I don't know why I've
waited years to prepare this dish again. It ranks right up there with
comfort food in my book.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" writes:

did. On Wednesday I prepared them and put the cooked steaks back into
the gravy to lightly simmer for about an hour. I have found out if I
prepare these the day before they are to be consumed they are sooooo
much better the next day.

I wouldn't consider these country fried steaks. Sounds more like a
swiss steak. But, those can be good, too.

nb
Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

I wouldn't consider these country fried steaks. Sounds more like a
swiss steak. But, those can be good, too.

nb

Nooo, not a swiss steak at all. I may be wrong, but I think swiss
steak has tomatoes or tomato sauce in the gravy. Chicken fried is
served *immediately* upon completion of cooking with a generous
helping of gravy. The breading on chicken fried steak is always
crunchy. Country fried is just as I described; cube steaks are cooked,
gravy is made, then the cooked cubed steaks are placed back in the
gravy to lightly simmer for an hour. This will tenderize the steaks
even more. Try it, mighty good!

Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 12 May 2006 01:45:48a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
itsjoannotjoann?

notbob wrote:

I wouldn't consider these country fried steaks. Sounds more like a
swiss steak. But, those can be good, too.

nb

Nooo, not a swiss steak at all. I may be wrong, but I think swiss
steak has tomatoes or tomato sauce in the gravy. Chicken fried is
served *immediately* upon completion of cooking with a generous
helping of gravy. The breading on chicken fried steak is always
crunchy. Country fried is just as I described; cube steaks are cooked,
gravy is made, then the cooked cubed steaks are placed back in the
gravy to lightly simmer for an hour. This will tenderize the steaks
even more. Try it, mighty good!

I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
"country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 12-05-2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote

I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
"country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

See? I'm not the only one.

nancy

Old 12-05-2006, 01:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
[...]

I have no comment other than to say YESSSS! Comfort food and absolutely
tenderly cooked in the gravy... uh huh!

Jill

Old 12-05-2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote

I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
"country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

See? I'm not the only one.

nancy

Yeah, but you two are weird. LOL.

(Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

N.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
Nancy Young wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote

I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
"country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

Something I always do is salt both sides of the cobed steak, and mill
some mixed peppercorns onto both sides before flouring. I know the
"chicken fried" name means cooked after the fashion of fried chicken,
but one could give it an additional meaning by frying the steak in
rendered chicken fat.

See? I'm not the only one.

nancy

Yeah, but you two are weird. LOL.

One problem with "gravy" is what people are willing to consider
acceptable gravy. If it involves a packet or a jar, you can keep that
crap. My mother used to pour off the fat and deglaze the pan with
water. She called it, "grease gravy."

(Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.

N.

--Bryan

Old 12-05-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
Nancy Young wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote

I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken
fried" and "country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy
soaked crust. In fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

See? I'm not the only one.

nancy

Yeah, but you two are weird. LOL.

(Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

N.

Swiss steak isn't country fried steak, not by a long shot!

Jill

Old 12-05-2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:
Nancy2 wrote:

(Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.

N.

--Bryan

We've had this discussion here before. You haven't had the right
stuff. Here's my crockpot recipe (it's the most hassle-free), but it
can be done on the top of the stove, and I've made it in my electric
frypan. Done in the crockpot, in the manner described, it is
absolutely fantastic, if you like meat dishes with sauce.

Swiss Steak, Crockpot Style Nancy Dooley

2 pounds top round steak
1 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. ground oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 T. oil
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes with juice, divided into thirds
1 14-oz. Beef broth
1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings

Cut the meat into small portion sizes (meat pieces will expand during
tenderizing). Mix flour with seasonings, and using a heavy pointed
meat mallet, pound it into the meat pieces, making sure each piece is
throughly tenderized and evenly coated with flour on both sides. Heat
oil in large heavy skillet. Brown each piece of meat quickly, turning
once, and not crowding the skillet. When each piece is done, remove
from skillet and plate until all pieces are done. Pour beef broth
into the crockpot, and put one third of the onion rings on the bottom.
Put one third of the meat pieces in next, and then 1/3 of the tomatoes
with juice. Continue layering, ending with tomatoes.

Cook in crockpot on "low" setting, 6 to 8 hours. This will serve
4-6 persons.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
Food Snob wrote:
Nancy2 wrote:

(Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.

N.

--Bryan

We've had this discussion here before. You haven't had the right
stuff. Here's my crockpot recipe (it's the most hassle-free), but it
can be done on the top of the stove, and I've made it in my electric
frypan. Done in the crockpot, in the manner described, it is
absolutely fantastic, if you like meat dishes with sauce.

No, I think your recipe is pretty standard. You can have my share.
You can have my share of chicken cacciatore as well.

[...]

Bryan

Old 12-05-2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:
Nancy2 wrote:
Food Snob wrote:
Nancy2 wrote:

(Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.

N.

--Bryan

We've had this discussion here before. You haven't had the right
stuff. Here's my crockpot recipe (it's the most hassle-free), but it
can be done on the top of the stove, and I've made it in my electric
frypan. Done in the crockpot, in the manner described, it is
absolutely fantastic, if you like meat dishes with sauce.

No, I think your recipe is pretty standard. You can have my share.
You can have my share of chicken cacciatore as well.

Bryan

LOL. Perhaps you just don't like tomato sauces with meat....?

N.

Old 13-05-2006, 12:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" writes:

LOL. Perhaps you just don't like tomato sauces with meat....?

I'm with you, Nancy2. I'd just as soon prepare it with a good
espagnole sauce and leave the tomatoes for the salad.

nb
Old 13-05-2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:

One problem with "gravy" is what people are willing to consider
acceptable gravy. If it involves a packet or a jar, you can keep that
crap.

--Bryan

That's true. But good homemade, properly seasoned gravy is something
to behold. Yummmmmmm!

Old 13-05-2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 12 May 2006 01:17:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy2?

Food Snob wrote:
Nancy2 wrote:
Food Snob wrote:
Nancy2 wrote:

(Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream
gravy.)

I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.

N.

--Bryan

We've had this discussion here before. You haven't had the right
stuff. Here's my crockpot recipe (it's the most hassle-free), but it
can be done on the top of the stove, and I've made it in my electric
frypan. Done in the crockpot, in the manner described, it is
absolutely fantastic, if you like meat dishes with sauce.

No, I think your recipe is pretty standard. You can have my share.
You can have my share of chicken cacciatore as well.

Bryan

LOL. Perhaps you just don't like tomato sauces with meat....?

Well, *I* like it, Nancy. Very similar to the way I make it, although I
cook it, covered, in the oven.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@