Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Country Fried Steak, was chicken fried steak last week

Last week there was a topic on chicken fried steak and the debate was
whether to serve gravy over this dish or not. I had posted that I was
going to buy some cubed steaks at the end of last week which, which I
did. On Wednesday I prepared them and put the cooked steaks back into
the gravy to lightly simmer for about an hour. I have found out if I
prepare these the day before they are to be consumed they are sooooo
much better the next day. I guess the spices somehow penetrate the
meat and make them more flavorful.

Well gang, I'm no fancy shmancy cook claiming to know all the culinary
secrets, but these were damned good for supper tonight!! Tender enough
to cut with a fork and the gravy was magnificent! Thanks for the
thread last week on the chicken fried steak and I don't know why I've
waited years to prepare this dish again. It ranks right up there with
comfort food in my book.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > writes:

> did. On Wednesday I prepared them and put the cooked steaks back into
> the gravy to lightly simmer for about an hour. I have found out if I
> prepare these the day before they are to be consumed they are sooooo
> much better the next day.

I wouldn't consider these country fried steaks. Sounds more like a
swiss steak. But, those can be good, too.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I wouldn't consider these country fried steaks. Sounds more like a
> swiss steak. But, those can be good, too.
>
> nb

Nooo, not a swiss steak at all. I may be wrong, but I think swiss
steak has tomatoes or tomato sauce in the gravy. Chicken fried is
served *immediately* upon completion of cooking with a generous
helping of gravy. The breading on chicken fried steak is always
crunchy. Country fried is just as I described; cube steaks are cooked,
gravy is made, then the cooked cubed steaks are placed back in the
gravy to lightly simmer for an hour. This will tenderize the steaks
even more. Try it, mighty good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 12 May 2006 01:45:48a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
itsjoannotjoann?

> notbob wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't consider these country fried steaks. Sounds more like a
>> swiss steak. But, those can be good, too.
>>
>> nb

> Nooo, not a swiss steak at all. I may be wrong, but I think swiss
> steak has tomatoes or tomato sauce in the gravy. Chicken fried is
> served *immediately* upon completion of cooking with a generous
> helping of gravy. The breading on chicken fried steak is always
> crunchy. Country fried is just as I described; cube steaks are cooked,
> gravy is made, then the cooked cubed steaks are placed back in the
> gravy to lightly simmer for an hour. This will tenderize the steaks
> even more. Try it, mighty good!

I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
"country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

> I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
> "country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
> fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

See? I'm not the only one.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> Last week there was a topic on chicken fried steak and the debate was
> whether to serve gravy over this dish or not. I had posted that I was
> going to buy some cubed steaks at the end of last week which, which I
> did. On Wednesday I prepared them and put the cooked steaks back into
> the gravy to lightly simmer for about an hour. I have found out if I
> prepare these the day before they are to be consumed they are sooooo
> much better the next day. I guess the spices somehow penetrate the
> meat and make them more flavorful.
>
> Well gang, I'm no fancy shmancy cook claiming to know all the culinary
> secrets, but these were damned good for supper tonight!! Tender
> enough to cut with a fork and the gravy was magnificent! Thanks for
> the thread last week on the chicken fried steak and I don't know why
> I've waited years to prepare this dish again. It ranks right up
> there with comfort food in my book.

I have no comment other than to say YESSSS! Comfort food and absolutely
tenderly cooked in the gravy... uh huh!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>
> > I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
> > "country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
> > fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

> See? I'm not the only one.
>
> nancy

Yeah, but you two are weird. LOL.

(Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
> >
> > > I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
> > > "country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
> > > fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

Something I always do is salt both sides of the cobed steak, and mill
some mixed peppercorns onto both sides before flouring. I know the
"chicken fried" name means cooked after the fashion of fried chicken,
but one could give it an additional meaning by frying the steak in
rendered chicken fat.

> > See? I'm not the only one.
> >
> > nancy

> Yeah, but you two are weird. LOL.

One problem with "gravy" is what people are willing to consider
acceptable gravy. If it involves a packet or a jar, you can keep that
crap. My mother used to pour off the fat and deglaze the pan with
water. She called it, "grease gravy."

> (Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.

> N.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken
>>> fried" and "country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy
>>> soaked crust. In fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

>> See? I'm not the only one.
>>
>> nancy

> Yeah, but you two are weird. LOL.
>

> (Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)
>
> N.

Swiss steak isn't country fried steak, not by a long shot!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > (Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

> I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.
> >
> > N.

> --Bryan

We've had this discussion here before. You haven't had the right
stuff. Here's my crockpot recipe (it's the most hassle-free), but it
can be done on the top of the stove, and I've made it in my electric
frypan. Done in the crockpot, in the manner described, it is
absolutely fantastic, if you like meat dishes with sauce.

Swiss Steak, Crockpot Style Nancy Dooley

2 pounds top round steak
1 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. ground oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 T. oil
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes with juice, divided into thirds
1 14-oz. Beef broth
1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings

Cut the meat into small portion sizes (meat pieces will expand during
tenderizing). Mix flour with seasonings, and using a heavy pointed
meat mallet, pound it into the meat pieces, making sure each piece is
throughly tenderized and evenly coated with flour on both sides. Heat
oil in large heavy skillet. Brown each piece of meat quickly, turning
once, and not crowding the skillet. When each piece is done, remove
from skillet and plate until all pieces are done. Pour beef broth
into the crockpot, and put one third of the onion rings on the bottom.
Put one third of the meat pieces in next, and then 1/3 of the tomatoes
with juice. Continue layering, ending with tomatoes.

Cook in crockpot on "low" setting, 6 to 8 hours. This will serve
4-6 persons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> Food Snob wrote:
> > Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > > (Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

> > I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.
> > >
> > > N.

> > --Bryan

> We've had this discussion here before. You haven't had the right
> stuff. Here's my crockpot recipe (it's the most hassle-free), but it
> can be done on the top of the stove, and I've made it in my electric
> frypan. Done in the crockpot, in the manner described, it is
> absolutely fantastic, if you like meat dishes with sauce.

No, I think your recipe is pretty standard. You can have my share.
You can have my share of chicken cacciatore as well.

> Swiss Steak, Crockpot Style Nancy Dooley
>
> 2 pounds top round steak
> 1 1/2 C. flour
> 1 tsp. dry mustard
> 1/2 tsp. ground oregano
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1/2 tsp. black pepper
> 3 T. oil
> 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes with juice, divided into thirds
> 1 14-oz. Beef broth
> 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
>
> Cut the meat into small portion sizes (meat pieces will expand during
> tenderizing). Mix flour with seasonings, and using a heavy pointed
> meat mallet, pound it into the meat pieces, making sure each piece is
> throughly tenderized and evenly coated with flour on both sides. Heat
> oil in large heavy skillet. Brown each piece of meat quickly, turning
> once, and not crowding the skillet. When each piece is done, remove
> from skillet and plate until all pieces are done. Pour beef broth
> into the crockpot, and put one third of the onion rings on the bottom.
> Put one third of the meat pieces in next, and then 1/3 of the tomatoes
> with juice. Continue layering, ending with tomatoes.
>
> Cook in crockpot on "low" setting, 6 to 8 hours. This will serve
> 4-6 persons.

Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > Food Snob wrote:

> > > I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.

> > > --Bryan

> > We've had this discussion here before. You haven't had the right
> > stuff. Here's my crockpot recipe (it's the most hassle-free), but it
> > can be done on the top of the stove, and I've made it in my electric
> > frypan. Done in the crockpot, in the manner described, it is
> > absolutely fantastic, if you like meat dishes with sauce.

> No, I think your recipe is pretty standard. You can have my share.
> You can have my share of chicken cacciatore as well.

> Bryan

LOL. Perhaps you just don't like tomato sauces with meat....?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > writes:

> LOL. Perhaps you just don't like tomato sauces with meat....?

I'm with you, Nancy2. I'd just as soon prepare it with a good
espagnole sauce and leave the tomatoes for the salad.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:

> One problem with "gravy" is what people are willing to consider
> acceptable gravy. If it involves a packet or a jar, you can keep that
> crap.
> >

> --Bryan

That's true. But good homemade, properly seasoned gravy is something
to behold. Yummmmmmm!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 12 May 2006 01:17:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy2?

> Food Snob wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:

>> > We've had this discussion here before. You haven't had the right
>> > stuff. Here's my crockpot recipe (it's the most hassle-free), but it
>> > can be done on the top of the stove, and I've made it in my electric
>> > frypan. Done in the crockpot, in the manner described, it is
>> > absolutely fantastic, if you like meat dishes with sauce.

>> No, I think your recipe is pretty standard. You can have my share.
>> You can have my share of chicken cacciatore as well.

>> Bryan
>>

> LOL. Perhaps you just don't like tomato sauces with meat....?

Well, *I* like it, Nancy. Very similar to the way I make it, although I
cook it, covered, in the oven.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 May 2006, notbob wrote:

> "itsjoannotjoann" > writes:
>

> > did. On Wednesday I prepared them and put the cooked steaks back into
> > the gravy to lightly simmer for about an hour. I have found out if I
> > prepare these the day before they are to be consumed they are sooooo
> > much better the next day.

> I wouldn't consider these country fried steaks. Sounds more like a
> swiss steak. But, those can be good, too.
>
> nb

I would. 'Round here, that is country fried steak or smothered steak, as
we also call it. Swiss steak is round steak (chopped with a mallet or
knife back) or cube (or minute or pounded or chopped) steak (round steak
run through the tenderizer) browned, and then simmered in tomatoes,
onions, and bell peppers - 'round here, that is.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 May 2006, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> notbob wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't consider these country fried steaks. Sounds more like a
> > swiss steak. But, those can be good, too.
> >
> > nb

> Nooo, not a swiss steak at all. I may be wrong, but I think swiss
> steak has tomatoes or tomato sauce in the gravy. Chicken fried is
> served *immediately* upon completion of cooking with a generous
> helping of gravy. The breading on chicken fried steak is always
> crunchy. Country fried is just as I described; cube steaks are cooked,
> gravy is made, then the cooked cubed steaks are placed back in the
> gravy to lightly simmer for an hour. This will tenderize the steaks
> even more. Try it, mighty good!

Yes, I agree. Chicken fried steak is breaded and fried crisp, like fried
chicken. The gravy is separate. It is "white gravy" or milk gravy and it
is laddled over the crispy steak. The other two, the meat is dredged in
flour and "browned" is a small amount of oil, removed from the skillet,
gravy is made from the pan drippings using flour to make a roux, water
(or tomato juice for swiss steak) is added to make a gravy, the meat is
added back to the skillet, the respective ingredients are added and it is
simmered for about an hour with a tight-fitting lid to keep in the
moisture. The gravy thickens and the meat plumps. Yum. With my country
fried steak, I add onions and bell peppers and, sometimes mushrooms to the
simmering pot.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 May 2006, it was written:

> > Nooo, not a swiss steak at all. I may be wrong, but I think swiss
> > steak has tomatoes or tomato sauce in the gravy. Chicken fried is
> > served *immediately* upon completion of cooking with a generous
> > helping of gravy. The breading on chicken fried steak is always
> > crunchy. Country fried is just as I described; cube steaks are cooked,
> > gravy is made, then the cooked cubed steaks are placed back in the
> > gravy to lightly simmer for an hour. This will tenderize the steaks
> > even more. Try it, mighty good!

> I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
> "country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
> fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

You've been out of the South too long, boy. If your grandma is looking
down from Heaven, you better duck. There is a lightening bolt headed in
your direction!

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 14 May 2006 02:41:18a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
Parrish?

> On Fri, 12 May 2006, it was written:
>

>> > Nooo, not a swiss steak at all. I may be wrong, but I think swiss
>> > steak has tomatoes or tomato sauce in the gravy. Chicken fried is
>> > served *immediately* upon completion of cooking with a generous
>> > helping of gravy. The breading on chicken fried steak is always
>> > crunchy. Country fried is just as I described; cube steaks are
>> > cooked, gravy is made, then the cooked cubed steaks are placed back
>> > in the gravy to lightly simmer for an hour. This will tenderize the
>> > steaks even more. Try it, mighty good!

>> I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried"
>> and "country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked
>> crust. In fact, I don't even like gravy on them.
>>

> You've been out of the South too long, boy. If your grandma is looking
> down from Heaven, you better duck. There is a lightening bolt headed in
> your direction!

LOL! Noone in our family, except for one of my aunts, ever made country
fried steak in gravy, but they all made chicken fried steak. Everyone
made cream gravy for it, but no one in my immediate family cared for gravy
with theirs, so my mother quit making the gravy. Only my mother made
swiss steak. My grandmother wouldn't care...she just wanted everyone to
enjoy their meal. :-) My grandfather wouldn't eat any form of beef, so
regardless of what else was served at dinner, there was also some form of
pork or chicken on the table. Good to see you, Elaine!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article m>,
Elaine Parrish > wrote:

> I would. 'Round here, that is country fried steak or smothered steak, as
> we also call it. Swiss steak is round steak (chopped with a mallet or
> knife back) or cube (or minute or pounded or chopped) steak (round steak
> run through the tenderizer) browned, and then simmered in tomatoes,
> onions, and bell peppers - 'round here, that is.
>
> Elaine, too

Well where have YOU been? I was this close to sending the posse.
" 'Splain yourself, Lucy. "
(That's how I make Swish Steak, too.)

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/10/06 - Patio construction

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> Last week there was a topic on chicken fried steak and the debate was
> whether to serve gravy over this dish or not. I had posted that I was
> going to buy some cubed steaks at the end of last week which, which I
> did. On Wednesday I prepared them and put the cooked steaks back into
> the gravy to lightly simmer for about an hour.

I think I've sort of heard of doing that before, but frankly, I'd
consider it a lost opportunity to have a nice crispy chicken-fried
steak with a nice, unctuous gravy on top. It's the textural thing.

And it's got me thinking chicken-fried, which I've got to stop
thinking. I know two places to get it -- no, three...four...five...

Agh!

Okay. Think broiled trout. Broiled trout. Broiled trout...

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 May 2006, it was written:

> On Sun 14 May 2006 02:41:18a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
> Parrish?
>

> >> I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried"
> >> and "country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked
> >> crust. In fact, I don't even like gravy on them.
> >>

> > You've been out of the South too long, boy. If your grandma is looking
> > down from Heaven, you better duck. There is a lightening bolt headed in
> > your direction!

> LOL! Noone in our family, except for one of my aunts, ever made country
> fried steak in gravy, but they all made chicken fried steak. Everyone
> made cream gravy for it, but no one in my immediate family cared for gravy
> with theirs, so my mother quit making the gravy. Only my mother made
> swiss steak. My grandmother wouldn't care...she just wanted everyone to
> enjoy their meal. :-) My grandfather wouldn't eat any form of beef, so
> regardless of what else was served at dinner, there was also some form of
> pork or chicken on the table. Good to see you, Elaine!

Hey Wayne,

Well ok. If your grandma said it was alright not to want gravy, that's
good enough for me!

Neither of my grandmothers, nor my great grandmother, ever made any of the
above. Beef was not a "staple" back in the olden days. When we did have
round steak, it had been hand pounded, dredged in flour, and fried
somewhat like chicken fried steak but not as crispy. The pieces would be
put between the covers of a big fluffy biscuit and eaten like a
sandwich. The milk gravy made from the pan drippings went over the creamed
potatoes.

Do you remember "veal cutlets"? ...Those thin, oval patties with breading?
I think those little jewels were the reason people started making white
gravy! <g>

Good to be here. I've got a few days off and this is my favorite vacation
destination!

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 May 2006, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article m>,
> Elaine Parrish > wrote:
> >
> > I would. 'Round here, that is country fried steak or smothered steak, as
> > we also call it. Swiss steak is round steak (chopped with a mallet or
> > knife back) or cube (or minute or pounded or chopped) steak (round steak
> > run through the tenderizer) browned, and then simmered in tomatoes,
> > onions, and bell peppers - 'round here, that is.
> >
> > Elaine, too

> Well where have YOU been? I was this close to sending the posse.
> " 'Splain yourself, Lucy. "
> (That's how I make Swish Steak, too.)

Hey Barb,

I've been around .. and around .. and around. Either I don't have as many
hours in a day as everyone else or I've gotten so old and slow that I'm
not acomplishing anything! <g>

I've been lurking a lot. I've got a couple of days off, so I've come to
visit my favorite place for more than a few minutes here and there, as I
usually have to do.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 14 May 2006 12:12:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
Parrish?

> On Sun, 14 May 2006, it was written:
>
>> On Sun 14 May 2006 02:41:18a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Elaine
>> Parrish?

>> > You've been out of the South too long, boy. If your grandma is
>> > looking down from Heaven, you better duck. There is a lightening bolt
>> > headed in your direction!

>> LOL! Noone in our family, except for one of my aunts, ever made
>> country fried steak in gravy, but they all made chicken fried steak.
>> Everyone made cream gravy for it, but no one in my immediate family
>> cared for gravy with theirs, so my mother quit making the gravy. Only
>> my mother made swiss steak. My grandmother wouldn't care...she just
>> wanted everyone to enjoy their meal. :-) My grandfather wouldn't eat
>> any form of beef, so regardless of what else was served at dinner,
>> there was also some form of pork or chicken on the table. Good to see
>> you, Elaine!
>>

> Hey Wayne,
>
> Well ok. If your grandma said it was alright not to want gravy, that's
> good enough for me!
>
> Neither of my grandmothers, nor my great grandmother, ever made any of
> the above. Beef was not a "staple" back in the olden days. When we did
> have round steak, it had been hand pounded, dredged in flour, and fried
> somewhat like chicken fried steak but not as crispy. The pieces would be
> put between the covers of a big fluffy biscuit and eaten like a
> sandwich. The milk gravy made from the pan drippings went over the
> creamed potatoes.

Before the tenderizing machines were very common, I remember everyone
using a meat mallet with the spikey side and pounding the hell out of a
good cut of round steak to make chicken fried steak. My mother never did
buy "cube steaks", instead always selecting a good round steak and having
the butcher run it through the tenderizer. Much better quality. Well, I
never really did like milk gravy, although when mom made fried chicken she
did add some milk to the chicken gravy for the potatoes. But not so much
milk to make a white gravy. It was tasty.

> Do you remember "veal cutlets"? ...Those thin, oval patties with
> breading? I think those little jewels were the reason people started
> making white gravy! <g>

If you mean those horrid things made of ground veal (if it was really
veal), yes I remember them well. I think I bought them once. They were
best covered up with anything you could find. :-)

> Good to be here. I've got a few days off and this is my favorite
> vacation destination!

I'm glad!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Before the tenderizing machines were very common, I remember everyone
> using a meat mallet with the spikey side and pounding the hell out of a
> good cut of round steak to make chicken fried steak.

> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

The first time I made country fried steak I had asked a girl at work
for her recipe which she copied out of her Betty Crocker cookbook
published some time in the mid 60's. The recipe called for a round
steak to be thoroughly pounded with one of those spikey meat mallets.
I decided to prepare these for ex-b/f at his house where he was turning
a small attached garage into a den. This project he was working on was
only about 1/4 complete. He went to take a shower and I proceeded to
beat the hell out of that round steak which grew to be quite enormous
after I had given it a good workout. When he got out of the shower he
came in the kitchen and wanted to know if I had finished framing up the
new den? We both had a hearty laugh out of my very vigorous pounding
which he could hear over the shower. But that steak was mouth
watering, falling apart tender!! That was my one and only time and
thereafter I always bought the cubed steaks at the grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried"
and
"country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust.
In
fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

its educate the kiwi chick time again lol

whats a chicken fried steak and whats the difference between chicken
and country fried steak

tessa