Posted to rec.food.cooking
Food Snob Food Snob is offline

Default Country Fried Steak, was chicken fried steak last week

Nancy2 wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
> >
> > > I don't think most people make the distinction between "chicken fried" and
> > > "country fried". In either case, I don't like a gravy soaked crust. In
> > > fact, I don't even like gravy on them.

Something I always do is salt both sides of the cobed steak, and mill
some mixed peppercorns onto both sides before flouring. I know the
"chicken fried" name means cooked after the fashion of fried chicken,
but one could give it an additional meaning by frying the steak in
rendered chicken fat.

> > See? I'm not the only one.
> >
> > nancy

> Yeah, but you two are weird. LOL.

One problem with "gravy" is what people are willing to consider
acceptable gravy. If it involves a packet or a jar, you can keep that
crap. My mother used to pour off the fat and deglaze the pan with
water. She called it, "grease gravy."

> (Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.

> N.

--Bryan