Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Country Fried Steak

I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always come out
very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I mostly use has
flour and cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also, how to keep the
coating from coming off?

Thanks,

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" > wrote in message
>I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always come out very
>tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I mostly use has flour and
>cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also, how to keep the coating from coming
>off?
>
> Thanks,
>
> laurie

Use a heavy cast iron pan and plenty of heat before adding the breaded meat.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 10:32 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "laurie" > wrote in messagenews:yK4uh.17996$pb7.6744@trndny09...
>
> >I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always come out very
> >tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I mostly use has flour and
> >cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also, how to keep the coating from coming
> >off?

> > Thanks,

> > laurieUse a heavy cast iron pan and plenty of heat before adding the breaded meat.

> Dimitri

I agree with Dimitri. But I've never heard of using cornmeal in the
coating. Sounds more like you are making chicken fried steak if you
want a crispy crust.

This topic was discussed here in great length within the last year or
so, if I remember correctly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> On Jan 25, 10:32 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>> "laurie" > wrote in
>> messagenews:yK4uh.17996$pb7.6744@trndny09...
>>

>> > laurieUse a heavy cast iron pan and plenty of heat before adding the
>> > breaded meat.

>> Dimitri

The recipe did say to use a cast iron pan, but I don't have one. Maybe
that's the problem. I'll have to invest I suppose.

> I agree with Dimitri. But I've never heard of using cornmeal in the
> coating. Sounds more like you are making chicken fried steak if you
> want a crispy crust.

I've done it both with and without the cornmeal, and it adds a nice texture
to it. I did think the terms were interchangeable though (country fried and
chicken fried- I didn't realize they weren't the same thing).

> This topic was discussed here in great length within the last year or
> so, if I remember correctly.

Good to know, thanks.

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:

> I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always come out
> very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I mostly use has
> flour and cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also, how to keep the
> coating from coming off?

To make fried foods crispy you need hot oil and you need to shake off
excess oil when it comes out of the oil, and it helps to put in on a rack
or paper towel to get rid of oil. To make a coating bind, dip the meat in
flour, then egg then crumbs. Press them so they aren't just sitting loose
on the surface, and let them sit for 12-20 minutes do the egg dries and
glues it in place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 11:17*am, "laurie" > wrote:
> I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always come out
> very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I mostly use has
> flour and cornmeal in it. *

That's not a breading for country fried anything... use bread crumbs...
and keep your pea-picking fingers off of it, if you move it about
before it crisps up it never will.

> Also, how to keep the coating from coming off?

Same way as making the breading stick with any meat.. you forgot the
glue... very first thing is to dredge the meat with flour... the flour
is the glue... then teh egg wash, then the breading. Then after
breading leave in fridge for at least an hour to firm up.

And any decent weight pot will do... you don't want to use more than
medium heat or the breading will burn before the meat begins to cook.
Frying means cooking in fat.. if you're cooking in fat heated past it's
smoke point then you're not cooking, you're burning. To properly fry
food it should be cooked at temperatures where it just achieves a
medium sizzle... if smoke is pouring out you ****ed up!

Why is everyone so consumed with cooking only at the highest
temperature.. get the **** out of the kitchen and get a job at a
foundry.

And cast iron cookware is archaic, only useful for those who need to
reduce arm flab and for those with unfullfilled emotional attachment to
their great grandma... your great grandma didn't have stainless steel
and aluminun cookware or she would have used it. Today cast iron
cookware is mostly good for door stops. I actually have a couple of
sets of antique cast iron bookends... but I don't wanna own any rust
bucket cast iron pots, and I don't. Heavy cast aluminum cookware out
performs cast iron in every way, especially frying.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 25, 11:17am, "laurie" > wrote:

That's not a breading for country fried anything... use bread crumbs...
and keep your pea-picking fingers off of it, if you move it about
before it crisps up it never will.

Hmm. All the recipes I have looked at (several) say to dredge in flour, then
egg, then seasoned flour, which is what I did. The one I used the other day
calls for dredging in flour first, then egg, then flour mixed with cornmeal
and seasoning. No breadcrumbs.

> Also, how to keep the coating from coming off?

Same way as making the breading stick with any meat.. you forgot the
glue... very first thing is to dredge the meat with flour... the flour
is the glue... then teh egg wash, then the breading. Then after
breading leave in fridge for at least an hour to firm up.

Ok, well I didn't forget the glue, but thanks for the tip on leaving it for
a while to firm up. I'll do that next time.

And any decent weight pot will do... you don't want to use more than
medium heat or the breading will burn before the meat begins to cook.
Frying means cooking in fat.. if you're cooking in fat heated past it's
smoke point then you're not cooking, you're burning. To properly fry
food it should be cooked at temperatures where it just achieves a
medium sizzle... if smoke is pouring out you ****ed up!

You have *such* a way with words. Thanks for the tips.

Why is everyone so consumed with cooking only at the highest
temperature.. get the **** out of the kitchen and get a job at a
foundry.

And cast iron cookware is archaic, only useful for those who need to
reduce arm flab and for those with unfullfilled emotional attachment to
their great grandma... your great grandma didn't have stainless steel
and aluminun cookware or she would have used it. Today cast iron
cookware is mostly good for door stops. I actually have a couple of
sets of antique cast iron bookends... but I don't wanna own any rust
bucket cast iron pots, and I don't. Heavy cast aluminum cookware out
performs cast iron in every way, especially frying.

Sheldon

Ok, shall I cross the cast iron pan off the grocery list then?

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> To make fried foods crispy you need hot oil and you need to shake off
> excess oil when it comes out of the oil, and it helps to put in on a rack
> or paper towel to get rid of oil. To make a coating bind, dip the meat in
> flour, then egg then crumbs. Press them so they aren't just sitting loose
> on the surface, and let them sit for 12-20 minutes do the egg dries and
> glues it in place.

THanks for the tips. I'll try those next time. I do always let fried things
sit on paper towels, but I didn't know about letting it sit after or about
pressing in the coating.

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" > wrote in message

> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>

>> On Jan 25, 10:32 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>>> "laurie" > wrote in
>>> messagenews:yK4uh.17996$pb7.6744@trndny09...

>>> Dimitri

> The recipe did say to use a cast iron pan, but I don't have one. Maybe that's
> the problem. I'll have to invest I suppose.

OK the reason for the cast iron pan is pretty simple.

The mass of the pan will hold (store) a large amount of heat. When ever you are
frying anything, the minute you drop food into the oil the temperature of the
oil begins to drop. Depending on the pan and the amount of food and the BTU
rating of the burner, the pan/burner may not be able to keep up with the drop in
temperature. If this happens generally you end up with the food absorbing too
much oil or not being fried to the desired results.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 10:03 am, "laurie" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in ooglegroups.com...
>
> On Jan 25, 11:17am, "laurie" > wrote:That's not a breading for country fried anything... use bread crumbs...
> and keep your pea-picking fingers off of it, if you move it about
> before it crisps up it never will.
>
> Hmm. All the recipes I have looked at (several) say to dredge in flour, then
> egg, then seasoned flour, which is what I did. The one I used the other day
> calls for dredging in flour first, then egg, then flour mixed with cornmeal
> and seasoning. No breadcrumbs.
>
> > Also, how to keep the coating from coming off?Same way as making the breading stick with any meat.. you forgot the

> glue... very first thing is to dredge the meat with flour... the flour
> is the glue... then teh egg wash, then the breading. Then after
> breading leave in fridge for at least an hour to firm up.
>
> Ok, well I didn't forget the glue, but thanks for the tip on leaving it for
> a while to firm up. I'll do that next time.
>
> And any decent weight pot will do... you don't want to use more than
> medium heat or the breading will burn before the meat begins to cook.
> Frying means cooking in fat.. if you're cooking in fat heated past it's
> smoke point then you're not cooking, you're burning. To properly fry
> food it should be cooked at temperatures where it just achieves a
> medium sizzle... if smoke is pouring out you ****ed up!
>
> You have *such* a way with words. Thanks for the tips.
>
> Why is everyone so consumed with cooking only at the highest
> temperature.. get the **** out of the kitchen and get a job at a
> foundry.
>
> And cast iron cookware is archaic, only useful for those who need to
> reduce arm flab and for those with unfullfilled emotional attachment to
> their great grandma... your great grandma didn't have stainless steel
> and aluminun cookware or she would have used it. Today cast iron
> cookware is mostly good for door stops. I actually have a couple of
> sets of antique cast iron bookends... but I don't wanna own any rust
> bucket cast iron pots, and I don't. Heavy cast aluminum cookware out
> performs cast iron in every way, especially frying.
>
> Sheldon
>
> Ok, shall I cross the cast iron pan off the grocery list then?
>
> laurie

No, it has it's place- this is one person's opinion against many who do
like cast iron- if it's seasoned properly, they are very useful

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" > wrote in message
>I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always come out
>very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I mostly use has
>flour and cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also, how to keep the
>coating from coming off?
>
> Thanks,
>
> laurie

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef: Chicken Fried Steak

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Poultry

2 pounds flank steak
salt & pepper
2 1/2 cups flour
2 eggs beaten with 2 tblsp milk
vegetable oil for frying
6 ounces bacon -- finely chopped
1/4 cup onions -- minced
3 cups milk

Cut the flank steak into 4 equal portions, crosswise. Using a meat mallet,
pound out the steak, about 1/4 inch. Season with salt & pepper. Season 2
cups of the flour with salt & pepper. Dredge the steaks in the seasoned
flour. Dip steaks in the egg wash, letting excess drip off. Dredge the
steaks in the seasoned flour, coating each side completely.

Add enough oil to a large skillet to fill about 1/4 of the pan. Heat the
oil. When oil is hot, carefully lay the steaks in the hot oil. Pay-fry
steaks 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden. Season with salt & pepper.

In another skillet, render the bacon until crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Add
the onions and continue to saute 2-3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup
flour, and continue to cook 2 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.

Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, cook the gravy 3-4 minutes. If
gravy is too thick, add milk, if too thin, cook longer.

Remove from heat, season with salt & pepper. Spoon gravy over steaks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" > wrote in message
>I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always come out
>very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I mostly use has
>flour and cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also, how to keep the
>coating from coming off?
>
> Thanks,
>
> laurie

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef: Country Chicken Fried Steak

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

3 pounds round steaks
5 ounces evaporated milk
2 tblsp green Tabasco sauce -- or other hot sauce if desired
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour -- divided
2 teaspoons paprika
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
oil for frying
Cream Gravy:
flour
2 1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper

Trim sdteak, cut into 6 to 8 smaller pieces and pound flat.

Combine milk, Tabasco and salt into bowl. Add 1 cup flour to a 2nd bowl.
Combine remaining flour, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper in 3rd bowl.

Coat steak in 1st bowl of plain flour. Dip floured steak into mild mixture
then coat with seasoned flour mixture. Set aside until all meat is coated.

Heat 1-2 inches of oil in heavy fry pan or cast iron skillet. Fry steaks
approx 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.

Drain on paper towels, serv with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits.

Pour off all but 6 tblsp fat from frying pan. using the leftover seasoned
flour, first add 6 tablespoons flour and blend well.

Gradually stir in milk mixture. Cook and stir over mdium heat until
thickened, season with salat and pepper. Servy gravy over steaks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> "laurie" > wrote in message
>>I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always come out
>>very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I mostly use has
>>flour and cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also, how to keep the
>>coating from coming off?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> laurie
>>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Beef: Chicken Fried Steak
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Beef Poultry

> 2 pounds flank steak
> salt & pepper
> 2 1/2 cups flour
> 2 eggs beaten with 2 tblsp milk
> vegetable oil for frying
> 6 ounces bacon -- finely chopped
> 1/4 cup onions -- minced
> 3 cups milk
>
> Cut the flank steak into 4 equal portions, crosswise. Using a meat mallet,
> pound out the steak, about 1/4 inch. Season with salt & pepper. Season 2
> cups of the flour with salt & pepper. Dredge the steaks in the seasoned
> flour. Dip steaks in the egg wash, letting excess drip off. Dredge the
> steaks in the seasoned flour, coating each side completely.
>
> Add enough oil to a large skillet to fill about 1/4 of the pan. Heat the
> oil. When oil is hot, carefully lay the steaks in the hot oil. Pay-fry
> steaks 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden. Season with salt & pepper.
>
> In another skillet, render the bacon until crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Add
> the onions and continue to saute 2-3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2
> cup flour, and continue to cook 2 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
>
> Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, cook the gravy 3-4 minutes. If
> gravy is too thick, add milk, if too thin, cook longer.
>
> Remove from heat, season with salt & pepper. Spoon gravy over steaks.

Oops, wrong one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" > wrote in message

> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>

>> On Jan 25, 10:32 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>>> "laurie" > wrote in
>>> messagenews:yK4uh.17996$pb7.6744@trndny09...

>>> Dimitri

> The recipe did say to use a cast iron pan, but I don't have one. Maybe
> that's the problem. I'll have to invest I suppose.

Perhaps a wok?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 1:32 pm, "Kswck" > wrote:

Perhaps a wok?

No, not a wok. Despite what Sheldon says, you'll get a lot of use out
of a properly seasoned cast iron skillet.

And I *do* need to get rid of some upper arm flab.

Also, the difference between chicken fried steak and country fried
steak is chicken fried steak is served on a plate with the gravy
spooned over the meat as soon as the gravy is done. Chicken fried
steak is slipped back into the pan after the gravy is made and the meat
lightly simmers in said gravy for about an hour or so.

Yummmmmmmmmmm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 2:21 pm, "itsjoannotjoann" >
wrote:

> Also, the difference between chicken fried steak and country fried
> steak is chicken fried steak is served on a plate with the gravy
> spooned over the meat as soon as the gravy is done. Chicken fried
> steak is slipped back into the pan after the gravy is made and the meat
> lightly simmers in said gravy for about an hour or so.
>
> Yummmmmmmmmmm.

Dangit, this is what happens when I try to reply and talk at the same
time.

It should read:

"Country fried steak is slipped back into the pan after the gravy is
made and the meat lightly simmers in said gravy for about and hour or
so."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-25, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:

> It should read:
>
> "Country fried steak is slipped back into the pan after the gravy is
> made and the meat lightly simmers in said gravy for about and hour or
> so."

We knew that, but were too lazy to mention it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
>>To make fried foods crispy you need hot oil and you need to shake off
>>excess oil when it comes out of the oil, and it helps to put in on a rack
>>or paper towel to get rid of oil. To make a coating bind, dip the meat in
>>flour, then egg then crumbs. Press them so they aren't just sitting loose
>>on the surface, and let them sit for 12-20 minutes do the egg dries and
>>glues it in place.

> THanks for the tips. I'll try those next time. I do always let fried things
> sit on paper towels, but I didn't know about letting it sit after or about
> pressing in the coating.
>
> laurie

For a firmer coating try just using beaten egg yolk, no egg white, then
proceed as above.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> "laurie" > wrote in message
>
>>"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
groups.com...

>>The recipe did say to use a cast iron pan, but I don't have one. Maybe
>>that's the problem. I'll have to invest I suppose.

Not necessary, hot oil and a stainless steel or aluminium or non stick
pan will work just as well as a cast iron pan.
--
JL

> Perhaps a wok?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always
> come out very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I
> mostly use has flour and cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also,
> how to keep the coating from coming off?
>
> Thanks,
>
> laurie

The secret is a very hot pan and very hot oil (actually lard or shortening).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2007-01-25, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>
>> It should read:
>>
>> "Country fried steak is slipped back into the pan after the gravy is
>> made and the meat lightly simmers in said gravy for about and hour or
>> so."

> We knew that, but were too lazy to mention it.
>
> nb

Well I didn't, so I appreciate it- and now I'm drooling!

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>On 2007-01-25, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>>

>>>It should read:
>>>
>>>"Country fried steak is slipped back into the pan after the gravy is
>>>made and the meat lightly simmers in said gravy for about and hour or
>>>so."

>>We knew that, but were too lazy to mention it.
>>
>>nb

> Well I didn't, so I appreciate it- and now I'm drooling!
>
> laurie

No way im going to wait an hour for a chicken fried steak, though ill
bet it probly is even more tender than my quick saute of a flattened steak.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> laurie wrote:
>> I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always
>> come out very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I
>> mostly use has flour and cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also,
>> how to keep the coating from coming off?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> laurie

> The secret is a very hot pan and very hot oil (actually lard or
> shortening).
>
> Jill

Doesn't it also have something to do with hammering the steak down to
paper-thin first?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> jmcquown said...
>
>> laurie wrote:
>>> I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always
>>> come out very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I
>>> mostly use has flour and cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also,
>>> how to keep the coating from coming off?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> laurie

>> The secret is a very hot pan and very hot oil (actually lard or
>> shortening).
>>
>> Jill

> Doesn't it also have something to do with hammering the steak down to
> paper-thin first?
>
> Andy

Pounded round steak (to tenderize) but not paper thin. Sounds to me like
her pan isn't hot enough if the coating is coming off.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> I have a few good recipes for country fried steak and they always come out
> very tasty, but I just can't get it crisp enough. The one I mostly use has
> flour and cornmeal in it. What's the secret? Also, how to keep the
> coating from coming off?
>
> Thanks,
>
> laurie

That cheap fried steak with crispy coating with or without gravy,
whatever it's called, can
be made with saltine cracker crumbs or even panko, pounded or not
pounded and double-dipped or single in beaten egg. Grandma probably
didn't use panko but I've tried it and with the right seasoning, it
works.

Letting it rest after dipping is good, chilled maybe better. Whichever
pan you use, watch the drop-off in oil temp when you add the steaks and
keep it at hot-fry not-burn until you're ready to flip.

As for the steak I've seen a recipe that called for rib eyes. Ye Gawd!
I'll bet there's somewhere in California you can order Country-fried
Kobe Beef Filets with egg-milk gravy. $125.00 and you have to wear a
red bandana while you eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-26, jmcquown > wrote:

> Pounded round steak (to tenderize) but not paper thin. Sounds to me like
> her pan isn't hot enough if the coating is coming off.

I used to have problems with the coating coming off either during or
after frying. I've since learned the flour often tends to cake on
during the first dredge. The steak should be allowed to sit a bit
until the flour is thoroughly moistened. If no time to wait, make
sure any excess flour is shaken or knocked off before the egg dredge.
This also applies to the last dry dredge. This has worked well for me
and applies to any 3 dredge breading on meat or veggies.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 26, 12:16 am, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

>No way im going to wait an hour for a chicken fried steak, though ill
> bet it probly is even more tender than my quick saute of a flattened steak.
>
> JL

You wouldn't be waiting an hour for "chicken fried steak." That is
eaten immediately after the gravy is prepared. It is for *country
fried steak* you would be waiting for an hour to give it time to simmer
in that wonderful gravy. That's pretty much the difference in the two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

>>No way im going to wait an hour for a chicken fried steak, though ill
>>bet it probly is even more tender than my quick saute of a flattened steak.
>>
>>JL
>>

> You wouldn't be waiting an hour for "chicken fried steak." That is
> eaten immediately after the gravy is prepared. It is for *country
> fried steak* you would be waiting for an hour to give it time to simmer
> in that wonderful gravy. That's pretty much the difference in the two.

You misunderstood, i adore chicken fried steak, would eat it several
times a day if i thought i could get away with it, but there is no way
im going to put a nice chicken fried steak in gravy and let it fricassee
for an hour before i indulge.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> On Jan 25, 1:32 pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
>>

> Perhaps a wok?
>

> No, not a wok. Despite what Sheldon says, you'll get a lot of use out
> of a properly seasoned cast iron skillet.
>
> And I *do* need to get rid of some upper arm flab.
>
> Also, the difference between chicken fried steak and country fried
> steak is chicken fried steak is served on a plate with the gravy
> spooned over the meat as soon as the gravy is done. Chicken fried
> steak is slipped back into the pan after the gravy is made and the meat
> lightly simmers in said gravy for about an hour or so.
>
> Yummmmmmmmmmm.

Well I did correct myself with the recipe. But I think the OP said they
didn't have a cast iron skillet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On 2007-01-25, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>>
>>> It should read:
>>>
>>> "Country fried steak is slipped back into the pan after the gravy is
>>> made and the meat lightly simmers in said gravy for about and hour
>>> or so."

>> We knew that, but were too lazy to mention it.
>>
>> nb

> Well I didn't, so I appreciate it- and now I'm drooling!
>
> laurie

I must have posted a recipe for simmered *in the gravy* (after frying crispy
first, of course) back in 1997 or 98. Google archives can't find it. And I
lost it when my other computer died. If anyone has a copy of what I posted
I'd like to see it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> laurie wrote:
>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> We knew that, but were too lazy to mention it.
>>>
>>> nb

>> Well I didn't, so I appreciate it- and now I'm drooling!
>>
>> laurie

> I must have posted a recipe for simmered *in the gravy* (after frying
> crispy first, of course) back in 1997 or 98. Google archives can't
> find it. And I lost it when my other computer died. If anyone has a
> copy of what I posted I'd like to see it.
>
> Jill

I had this one attributed to you:

2 pounds round steak
3 tablespoons flour seasoned with salt & pepper
1 cup whole milk
1 cup water
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 tspoon black pepper
flour seasoned with salt & pepper

Cut steak into serving size pieces. If the steak wasn't tenderized by
the butcher, pound with a meat mallet to break up the tissue and make it
more tender.

Dredge steak pieces in flour seasoned well with with salt & pepper.
Brown in skillet in fairly deep hot oil until golden and crispy on both
sides. Remove steak with slotted spoon and set aside. Pour off all but
1/3 of grease from frying. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and blend well
until mixture is very lightly browned (you don't want the roux to taste
like flour). Stir in milk and water and cook, stirring constantly, until
gravy is thickened. Add steak back to pan. Cover and cook on low heat
until meat is very tender, about 15-20 minutes. Serves 4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

SallyW wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> laurie wrote:
>>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Well I didn't, so I appreciate it- and now I'm drooling!
>>>
>>> laurie

>> I must have posted a recipe for simmered *in the gravy* (after frying
>> crispy first, of course) back in 1997 or 98. Google archives can't
>> find it. And I lost it when my other computer died. If anyone has a
>> copy of what I posted I'd like to see it.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I had this one attributed to you:
>
> 2 pounds round steak
> 3 tablespoons flour seasoned with salt & pepper
> 1 cup whole milk
> 1 cup water
> 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
> 3/4 tspoon black pepper
> flour seasoned with salt & pepper
>
> Cut steak into serving size pieces. If the steak wasn't tenderized by
> the butcher, pound with a meat mallet to break up the tissue and make
> it more tender.
>
> Dredge steak pieces in flour seasoned well with with salt & pepper.
> Brown in skillet in fairly deep hot oil until golden and crispy on
> both sides. Remove steak with slotted spoon and set aside. Pour off
> all but 1/3 of grease from frying. Stir in flour, salt and pepper
> and blend well until mixture is very lightly browned (you don't want
> the roux to taste like flour). Stir in milk and water and cook,
> stirring constantly, until gravy is thickened. Add steak back to
> pan. Cover and cook on low heat until meat is very tender, about
> 15-20 minutes. Serves 4

That's it! Thanks Sally! (Long time no see!)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:51vo2iF1lq5lkU1
@mid.individual.net:

<Big snip>

> That's it! Thanks Sally! (Long time no see!)
>
> Jill

You're welcome! I guess that I have been quieter than usual for longer
than usual.

Take care!
SallyW