Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default Country Fried Steak, was chicken fried steak last week

Food Snob wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > (Yes, Swiss steak DOES have a tomato sauce on it, not a cream gravy.)

> I've never had Swiss steak that was anything but nasty.
> >
> > N.

> --Bryan

We've had this discussion here before. You haven't had the right
stuff. Here's my crockpot recipe (it's the most hassle-free), but it
can be done on the top of the stove, and I've made it in my electric
frypan. Done in the crockpot, in the manner described, it is
absolutely fantastic, if you like meat dishes with sauce.

Swiss Steak, Crockpot Style Nancy Dooley

2 pounds top round steak
1 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. ground oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 T. oil
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes with juice, divided into thirds
1 14-oz. Beef broth
1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings

Cut the meat into small portion sizes (meat pieces will expand during
tenderizing). Mix flour with seasonings, and using a heavy pointed
meat mallet, pound it into the meat pieces, making sure each piece is
throughly tenderized and evenly coated with flour on both sides. Heat
oil in large heavy skillet. Brown each piece of meat quickly, turning
once, and not crowding the skillet. When each piece is done, remove
from skillet and plate until all pieces are done. Pour beef broth
into the crockpot, and put one third of the onion rings on the bottom.
Put one third of the meat pieces in next, and then 1/3 of the tomatoes
with juice. Continue layering, ending with tomatoes.

Cook in crockpot on "low" setting, 6 to 8 hours. This will serve
4-6 persons.