Old 12-02-2005, 02:54 AM
Bud

Default Tuna Salad - horribly salty

Made tuna salad as follows.

Tuna - Star-Kist - solid white - canned - 6 oz.
Mayo - 2 heaping tablespoons.
Sweet pickles - 6 medium size - chopped..
Onion - 1/3 medium size - chopped.
Celery - 1 1/2 medium stalks - chopped.
Olives - 20 large - chopped.
Eggs - 2 large - chopped.
Pepper - 1/8 teaspoon.

All were good quality brand name items.

Refrigerated, after consuming about half of it. No problem with
refrigerator. Within approximately 19 hours it had a terrible taste, as
though at least a full tablespoon of salt had been added. Has anyone ever
heard of such a thing?

Bud (in Oceanside, Ca.)

Old 12-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Damsel in dis Dress

"Bud" , if that's their real name, wrote:

Made tuna salad as follows.

Tuna - Star-Kist - solid white - canned - 6 oz.
Mayo - 2 heaping tablespoons.
Sweet pickles - 6 medium size - chopped..
Onion - 1/3 medium size - chopped.
Celery - 1 1/2 medium stalks - chopped.
Olives - 20 large - chopped.
Eggs - 2 large - chopped.
Pepper - 1/8 teaspoon.

All were good quality brand name items.

Refrigerated, after consuming about half of it. No problem with
refrigerator. Within approximately 19 hours it had a terrible taste, as
though at least a full tablespoon of salt had been added. Has anyone ever
heard of such a thing?

If those were green olives, I think they'd be the likely culprit.

Carol

Old 12-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 11 Feb 2005 07:54:26p, Bud wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Made tuna salad as follows.

Tuna - Star-Kist - solid white - canned - 6 oz.
Mayo - 2 heaping tablespoons.
Sweet pickles - 6 medium size - chopped..
Onion - 1/3 medium size - chopped.
Celery - 1 1/2 medium stalks - chopped.
Olives - 20 large - chopped.
Eggs - 2 large - chopped.
Pepper - 1/8 teaspoon.

All were good quality brand name items.

Refrigerated, after consuming about half of it. No problem with
refrigerator. Within approximately 19 hours it had a terrible taste, as
though at least a full tablespoon of salt had been added. Has anyone ever
heard of such a thing?

Bud (in Oceanside, Ca.)

Though you might not notice it in the individual items, all olives are
salty, celery is naturally salty, even sweet pickles are salty. After
everything has been combined and allow to sit for 19 hours, flavors do
change and the saltiness of those items can become prominent.

20 olives and 6 pickles for 1 little can of tuna is a LOT! I would
probably have only put 1/2 to a whole stalk of celery. Did you ever taste
the tuna?

Personally, when I make tuna salad, I won't even eat it if it's been in the
fridge more than an hour, must less 19 hours.

Have you done this before? Similar or different results?

Obviously, a solution is to limit the salty items and consume all of it
within a "reasonable" period of time.

Cheers!
Wayne
Old 12-02-2005, 04:34 AM

Who else lives in the house
that likes salt,
and eats out of the bowl ??

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:54:26 -0800, "Bud"
wrote:

Made tuna salad as follows.

Refrigerated, after consuming about half of it. No problem with
refrigerator. Within approximately 19 hours it had a terrible taste, as
though at least a full tablespoon of salt had been added. Has anyone ever
heard of such a thing?

Bud (in Oceanside, Ca.)

rj
Old 12-02-2005, 04:34 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 11 Feb 2005 08:23:08p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

"Bud" , if that's their real name, wrote:

Made tuna salad as follows.

Tuna - Star-Kist - solid white - canned - 6 oz.
Mayo - 2 heaping tablespoons.
Sweet pickles - 6 medium size - chopped..
Onion - 1/3 medium size - chopped.
Celery - 1 1/2 medium stalks - chopped.
Olives - 20 large - chopped.
Eggs - 2 large - chopped.
Pepper - 1/8 teaspoon.

All were good quality brand name items.

Refrigerated, after consuming about half of it. No problem with
refrigerator. Within approximately 19 hours it had a terrible taste, as
though at least a full tablespoon of salt had been added. Has anyone ever
heard of such a thing?

If those were green olives, I think they'd be the likely culprit.

Carol

There you go, being generous again! :-)

Wayne

Old 12-02-2005, 04:37 AM
Damsel in dis Dress

Wayne Boatwright , if that's their real name, wrote:

On Fri 11 Feb 2005 08:23:08p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

If those were green olives, I think they'd be the likely culprit.

There you go, being generous again! :-)

No way! He's not getting his hands on MY olives! That doesn't sound
right, does it?

Carol

Old 12-02-2005, 04:40 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 11 Feb 2005 09:37:29p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Wayne Boatwright , if that's their real name, wrote:

On Fri 11 Feb 2005 08:23:08p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

If those were green olives, I think they'd be the likely culprit.

There you go, being generous again! :-)

No way! He's not getting his hands on MY olives! That doesn't sound
right, does it?

Carol

Uh, no, it doesn't! hehehehe

Wayne
Old 12-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Doug Kanter

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message

Personally, when I make tuna salad, I won't even eat it if it's been in
the
fridge more than an hour, must less 19 hours.

Not an hour later? Why?

Old 12-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 12 Feb 2005 05:51:56a, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message

Personally, when I make tuna salad, I won't even eat it if it's been in
the fridge more than an hour, must less 19 hours.

Not an hour later? Why?

I just prefer the flavor and consistency of a freshly mixed tuna or chicken
salad. Within the first hour of cold storage very little changes. After
that, both flavor and cosistency alter progressively with time.

AAOF, if I really want tuna or chicken salad for lunch at work, I take all
the prepared components and mix it just before eating, except for the onion,
which I cut fresh just before mixing.

Wayne

Old 12-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Damsel in dis Dress

Wayne Boatwright , if that's their real name, wrote:

I just prefer the flavor and consistency of a freshly mixed tuna or chicken
salad. Within the first hour of cold storage very little changes. After
that, both flavor and cosistency alter progressively with time.

Yeah, you wind up having to drain the tuna salad. Kinda gross.

I made Crash some tuna sandwiches sometime in the middle of the night, and
added shredded cheddar cheese. That's really a great way to eat tuna. My
other ingredients are mayonnaise, onion powder, celery seed (we don't like
crunchy stuff in our tuna salad), and a little lemon juice. Served on
toast, of course.

Carol

Old 12-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 12 Feb 2005 09:28:31a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
:

Wayne Boatwright , if that's their real name, wrote:

I just prefer the flavor and consistency of a freshly mixed tuna or
chicken salad. Within the first hour of cold storage very little
changes. After that, both flavor and cosistency alter progressively
with time.

Yeah, you wind up having to drain the tuna salad. Kinda gross.

I made Crash some tuna sandwiches sometime in the middle of the night,
and added shredded cheddar cheese. That's really a great way to eat
tuna. My other ingredients are mayonnaise, onion powder, celery seed
(we don't like crunchy stuff in our tuna salad), and a little lemon
juice. Served on toast, of course.

Carol

I pretty much eat tuna/chicken/ham salad as soon as it is made. I might
chill it in the fridge a short while while the bread or bagel is
toasting but not too long. As Carol said, everything separates. I love
crunchy stuff but not olives. I use diced onion, thinly chopped celery,
mayo, a very small squirt of lemon and of course I put bib lettuce on
the bread along with the salad.

Michael

Can I come over for a sammich? That's just how I like it!

Wayne
Old 12-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Dee Randall

Yeah, you wind up having to drain the tuna salad. Kinda gross.

With canned albacore and canned salmon that Costco (Kirkland brand), there
is hardly any draining to do. The quality is fantastic. You can eat the
contents in chunks and sprinkle some lemon juice over it for "gut safety" if
you so choose.
Dee

Old 12-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Damsel in dis Dress

"Dee Randall" deedoveyatshenteldotnet , if that's their real name, wrote:

Yeah, you wind up having to drain the tuna salad. Kinda gross.

With canned albacore and canned salmon that Costco (Kirkland brand), there
is hardly any draining to do. The quality is fantastic. You can eat the
contents in chunks and sprinkle some lemon juice over it for "gut safety" if
you so choose.

Yeah, I love eating the albacore with just a little lemon juice, salt, and
pepper.

The draining I was talking about was tuna salad. With the mayo and stuff.
Even with albacore, you have to drain the salad after awhile. It's
probably magic, the extra liquid just appears.

Carol, delirious from lack of sleep

Old 12-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 12 Feb 2005 09:35:56a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Yeah, you wind up having to drain the tuna salad. Kinda gross.

With canned albacore and canned salmon that Costco (Kirkland brand),
there is hardly any draining to do. The quality is fantastic. You can
eat the contents in chunks and sprinkle some lemon juice over it for
"gut safety" if you so choose.
Dee

Dee, IME, it's not the tuna that needs draining. It's the tuna salad after
the mixture has sat for a period of time. I agree, the Kirland tuna is quite
good.

Wayne

Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Doug Kanter

"Damsel in dis Dress" wrote in message
Wayne Boatwright , if that's their real name, wrote:

I just prefer the flavor and consistency of a freshly mixed tuna or
chicken
salad. Within the first hour of cold storage very little changes. After
that, both flavor and cosistency alter progressively with time.

Yeah, you wind up having to drain the tuna salad. Kinda gross.

Drain....what? Does yours get watery, or is the mayo separating? I've never
seen this happen.

Tuna Salad Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 40 17-08-2009 04:37 AM
Tuna Salad Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 10-05-2006 02:18 AM
Tuna Salad Duckie Recipes 0 28-06-2005 03:02 PM
Egg Salad was ( Tuna Salad - horribly salty) Hahabogus General Cooking 8 14-02-2005 02:47 PM