Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tuna Salad

It's what's for dinner.
TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
little bow tie pastas
four green onions, sliced
about 3/4 cup sliced celery
maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
mayo
Mrs. Dash

It's some good. We'll eat in 45 minutes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-14, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> It's what's for dinner.
> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
> little bow tie pastas
> four green onions, sliced
> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
> mayo

I'll pass on the peas (yes, I love peas), but otherwise, sounds like a
winner.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2009-08-14, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>> It's what's for dinner.
>> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
>> little bow tie pastas
>> four green onions, sliced
>> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
>> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
>> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
>> mayo

> I'll pass on the peas (yes, I love peas), but otherwise, sounds like a
> winner.
>
> nb

I did not love peas that much when young, but I *love* sweet peas now
raw in plain salads as well as intuna salad, and pasta salads in
general. Same thing for something like pot pies. didn't like the peas
when I was young, but they add to it now.

I think I hated peas when young as my experiences where with the canned
variety. That's a whole different product. Same thing with spinach.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> I'll pass on the peas (yes, I love peas), but otherwise, sounds like a
> winner.
>
> nb

That's okay, notbob. I served it atop a fresh pineapple ring with toast
and watermelon on the side. It was 90 here today -- breezy. PGA
competitors are getting their money's worth.

Best tuna salad I've eaten in a long time. Maybe the Mrs. Dash did the
trick.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 14, 4:49*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

> That's okay, notbob. *I served it atop a fresh pineapple ring with toast
> and watermelon on the side. *It was 90 here today -- breezy. *PGA
> competitors are getting their money's worth. *
>
> Best tuna salad I've eaten in a long time. *Maybe the Mrs. Dash did the
> trick.
> --

The TJ solid albacore is a very good product. What (more or less,
approximately) is in Mrs. Dash? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Aug 14, 4:49*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> >
> > That's okay, notbob. *I served it atop a fresh pineapple ring with toast
> > and watermelon on the side. *It was 90 here today -- breezy. *PGA
> > competitors are getting their money's worth. *
> >
> > Best tuna salad I've eaten in a long time. *Maybe the Mrs. Dash did the
> > trick.
> > --

> The TJ solid albacore is a very good product. What (more or less,
> approximately) is in Mrs. Dash? -aem

Lemon, spices. Salt free.
More or less, but that's it. A salt-free blend. Pretty decent.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> > On 2009-08-14, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >> It's what's for dinner.
> >> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
> >> little bow tie pastas
> >> four green onions, sliced
> >> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
> >> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
> >> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
> >> mayo

> > I'll pass on the peas (yes, I love peas), but otherwise, sounds like a
> > winner.
> >
> > nb

> I did not love peas that much when young, but I *love* sweet peas now
> raw in plain salads as well as intuna salad, and pasta salads in
> general. Same thing for something like pot pies. didn't like the peas
> when I was young, but they add to it now.
>
> I think I hated peas when young as my experiences where with the canned
> variety. That's a whole different product. Same thing with spinach.
>
> Bob

Canned peas and canned spinach will certainly leave a bad impression.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-15, Pete C. > wrote:

> Canned peas and canned spinach will certainly leave a bad impression.

Yep. Canning is great for a lotta things, but peas and spinach are not
among them. Frozen is ok.

Worked in an all-U-can-eat buffet. Peas w/ diced cheddar cheese in a
mayo dressing (that's all!) wuz a major mover. Even I liked it. Go
figure.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> Worked in an all-U-can-eat buffet. Peas w/ diced cheddar cheese in a
> mayo dressing (that's all!) wuz a major mover. Even I liked it. Go
> figure.
>
> nb

Sometimes you amaze me, nb.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> I did not love peas that much when young, but I *love* sweet peas now
> raw in plain salads as well as intuna salad, and pasta salads in
> general. Same thing for something like pot pies. didn't like the peas
> when I was young, but they add to it now.
>
> I think I hated peas when young as my experiences where with the canned
> variety. That's a whole different product. Same thing with spinach.
>
> Bob

Large, tough, overcooked flavorless peas are truly horrible.
I like raw peas and thawed frozen baby peas, uncooked, alone
or in most kinds of salads.

Sugar snap or Chinese peas grown int he garden have the most flavor when
the peas have begun to swell in the pods. That's when they are the
sweetest. Can't let 'em get too big or they get floury tasting.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2009-08-15, Pete C. > wrote:
>
>> Canned peas and canned spinach will certainly leave a bad impression.

Canned asparagus is pretty terrible, too.

> Worked in an all-U-can-eat buffet. Peas w/ diced cheddar cheese in a
> mayo dressing (that's all!) wuz a major mover. Even I liked it. Go
> figure.

A local deli makes that with crumbled crisp bacon and some kind
of ranch dressing spicing. Yowza!

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 19:36:53 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article
> >,
> aem > wrote:
>
>> On Aug 14, 4:49Â*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's okay, notbob. Â*I served it atop a fresh pineapple ring with toast
>>> and watermelon on the side. Â*It was 90 here today -- breezy. Â*PGA
>>> competitors are getting their money's worth. Â*
>>>
>>> Best tuna salad I've eaten in a long time. Â*Maybe the Mrs. Dash did the
>>> trick.
>>> --

>> The TJ solid albacore is a very good product. What (more or less,
>> approximately) is in Mrs. Dash? -aem

> Lemon, spices. Salt free.
> More or less, but that's it. A salt-free blend. Pretty decent.

wikipedia sez:

Original Blend €“ contains the following ingredients: onion, black pepper,
parsley, celery seed, basil, bay leaf, marjoram, oregano, savory, thyme,
cayenne pepper, coriander (cilantro), cumin, mustard seed, rosemary,
garlic, carrot, orange peel, tomato, and lemon juice.

it also says they make nine different blends, and some grill blends and
marinades:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Dash>

busy lady!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 9:37*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-08-15, Pete C. > wrote:
>
> > Canned peas and canned spinach will certainly leave a bad impression.

> Yep. *Canning is great for a lotta things, but peas and spinach are not
> among them. *Frozen is ok.
>
> Worked in an all-U-can-eat buffet. *Peas w/ diced cheddar cheese in a
> mayo dressing (that's all!) wuz a major mover. *Even I liked it. *Go
> figure.

I worked at a buffet, too. The carrot raisin salad with that
disgusting sugar and mayonnaise dressing, the tubbos almost knocked
each other over getting to it. I couldn't make that pea/cheddar
cheese salad fast enough, either. Heh...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote
> Sugar snap or Chinese peas grown int he garden have the most flavor when
> the peas have begun to swell in the pods. That's when they are the
> sweetest. Can't let 'em get too big or they get floury tasting.

I love tiny fresh peas in fried rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Gloria P" > wrote
>> Sugar snap or Chinese peas grown int he garden have the most flavor when
>> the peas have begun to swell in the pods. That's when they are the
>> sweetest. Can't let 'em get too big or they get floury tasting.

> I love tiny fresh peas in fried rice.

I forgot to mention that I like the fresh peas in many rice dishes
also... peas, they're what's for dinner :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 5:41*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> It's what's for dinner.
> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
> little bow tie pastas
> four green onions, sliced
> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
> mayo
> Mrs. Dash
>
> It's some good. *We'll eat in 45 minutes.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
> And check this, too:http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

I like all of the above plus diced tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers of
any color, sweet onions, sliced radishes, coarsely grated carrots.
"My" dressing needs mayo and miracle whip, celery seed, a little sugar
or sweet pickle juice and a healthy shot of Tabasco. I use shells for
macaroni. I would KILL to be able to eat this right now!
Lynn in Fargo
Scratch Hot and Sour Soup (no meat) for dinner. "Chop Suey" vegetables
(can't chew fresh bean sprouts etc), chicken stock, vinegar, black
pepper, chile oil, sesame oil, fish sauce, dark soy sauce, diced tofu,
a spoonful of fermented black beans, anything else with a kick. and a
beaten egg to drizzle into the boiling stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:
> On Aug 14, 5:41 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>> It's what's for dinner.
>> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
>> little bow tie pastas
>> four green onions, sliced
>> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
>> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
>> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
>> mayo
>> Mrs. Dash
>>
>> It's some good. We'll eat in 45 minutes.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
>> And check this, too:http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

> I like all of the above plus diced tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers of
> any color, sweet onions, sliced radishes, coarsely grated carrots.
> "My" dressing needs mayo and miracle whip, celery seed, a little sugar
> or sweet pickle juice and a healthy shot of Tabasco. I use shells for
> macaroni. I would KILL to be able to eat this right now!
> Lynn in Fargo
> Scratch Hot and Sour Soup (no meat) for dinner. "Chop Suey" vegetables
> (can't chew fresh bean sprouts etc), chicken stock, vinegar, black
> pepper, chile oil, sesame oil, fish sauce, dark soy sauce, diced tofu,
> a spoonful of fermented black beans, anything else with a kick. and a
> beaten egg to drizzle into the boiling stock.

Now you gone and did it. You use Miracle whip AND mayo in the same
recipe. Now I'm going to have to consider KFing you as a radical.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mature Peas

Gloria wrote:

> Large, tough, overcooked flavorless peas are truly horrible.

Hmmm... That got me thinking. There *has* to be some use for the large tough
peas. Of course, you could use them in a puréed soup, and I think the Brits
make "mushy" peas by drying large peas and then cooking them, but what other
uses could be good?

I'll think about it for a while, but thought I'd throw the question out
there.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:13:56 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Gloria wrote:
>
>> Large, tough, overcooked flavorless peas are truly horrible.

>Hmmm... That got me thinking. There *has* to be some use for the large tough
>peas. Of course, you could use them in a puréed soup, and I think the Brits
>make "mushy" peas by drying large peas and then cooking them, but what other
>uses could be good?
>
>I'll think about it for a while, but thought I'd throw the question out
>there.

Good question, Bob. I've never been able to grow Eng. peas at all, so
I've never had the prob., but whatever the solution is, I'm sure it
has more applicability. I am eager to see the answers.

Alex, wishing you well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Gloria wrote:
>
>> Large, tough, overcooked flavorless peas are truly horrible.

> Hmmm... That got me thinking. There *has* to be some use for the large
> tough peas. Of course, you could use them in a puréed soup, and I think
> the Brits make "mushy" peas by drying large peas and then cooking them,
> but what other uses could be good?
>
> I'll think about it for a while, but thought I'd throw the question out
> there.
>
> Bob

I can think of three uses offhand:

Spackle.
Grout.
Compost.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> It's what's for dinner.
> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
> little bow tie pastas
> four green onions, sliced
> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
> mayo
> Mrs. Dash
>
> It's some good. We'll eat in 45 minutes.

I've never made it with pasta. Sounds good!

My recipe includes:

Well drained canned tuna
Minced black olives
Minced fresh celery
Lemon pepper
Lime based mayoniasse
A dash of garlic powder

Optional depending on mood:

Minced fresh tomatoes
Chopped canned green peppers
Minced fresh garlic chives (I grow them)

:-)

Adding peas and hard boiled eggs sounds tasty too! I may try that.

IMHO adding peas turns it into "tuna a' la' king"!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2009-08-15, Pete C. > wrote:
>
> > Canned peas and canned spinach will certainly leave a bad impression.

> Yep. Canning is great for a lotta things, but peas and spinach are not
> among them. Frozen is ok.
>
> Worked in an all-U-can-eat buffet. Peas w/ diced cheddar cheese in a
> mayo dressing (that's all!) wuz a major mover. Even I liked it. Go
> figure.
>
> nb

nb, do try the "no salt added" canned veggies sometime. The taste and
texture (imnsho) are every bit as good as fresh frozen.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote:
> Boob Twilly wrote:
>> Gloria wrote:
>>
>>> Large, tough, overcooked flavorless peas are truly horrible.

>> Hmmm... That got me thinking. There *has* to be some use for the large
>> tough peas. I'll think about it.
>>
>> Boob

> I can think of three uses offhand:
>
> Spackle.
> Grout.
> Compost.

Even a low IQ juvenile pinhead like twilly should have thought of the
obvious, pea shooter ammo. LOL

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> It's what's for dinner.
> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
> little bow tie pastas
> four green onions, sliced
> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
> mayo
> Mrs. Dash
>
> It's some good. We'll eat in 45 minutes.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
> And check this, too:
> http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Aug 2009 11:38:27a, Dimitri told us...

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> It's what's for dinner.
>> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
>> little bow tie pastas
>> four green onions, sliced
>> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
>> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
>> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo mayo
>> Mrs. Dash
>>
>> It's some good. We'll eat in 45 minutes.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
>> And check this, too:
>> http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

> What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????
>
> Dimitri

It's waiting for someone to make it. :-) I like it, but have made it in
recent memory. I like adding chopped green onions and green peas to it.
When I was growing up, we used to have it maybe one a month for supper for
a Saturday lunch.

--
Wayne Boatwright
It's so beautifully arranged on the plate you know someone's

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:15:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>It's waiting for someone to make it. :-) I like it, but have made it in
>recent memory. I like adding chopped green onions and green peas to it.
>When I was growing up, we used to have it maybe one a month for supper for
>a Saturday lunch.

Oh, dang... I'm hungry and I think there's a can of tuna in the
cupboard. Lunch time!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 1:38*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > It's what's for dinner.
> > TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
> > little bow tie pastas
> > four green onions, sliced
> > about 3/4 cup sliced celery
> > maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
> > 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
> > mayo
> > Mrs. Dash

> > It's some good. *We'll eat in 45 minutes.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> >http://web.me.com/barbschaller- Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
> > And check this, too:
> >http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

> What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????

It got thrown in the garbage!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
On Aug 16, 1:38 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > It's what's for dinner.
> > TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
> > little bow tie pastas
> > four green onions, sliced
> > about 3/4 cup sliced celery
> > maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
> > 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
> > mayo
> > Mrs. Dash

> > It's some good. We'll eat in 45 minutes.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> >http://web.me.com/barbschaller- Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
> > And check this, too:
> >http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

> What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????

It got thrown in the garbage!

Actually tuna tetrazzini is very good, as are tuna pot pies, my mom would
make both often and no matter how much she made is was never enough for the
five of us... of course in those days canned tuna was a far higher quality
product than the meow mix they pass off as tuna nowadays... back then they
didn't even have water packed (unless you bought Season or Geisha brand), we
bought packed in olive oil, and the can was larger, a full D cup worth, one
was enough for a big guy... now I gotta eat two of those measly A cups.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:05:32 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:15:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>It's waiting for someone to make it. :-) I like it, but have made it in
>>recent memory. I like adding chopped green onions and green peas to it.
>>When I was growing up, we used to have it maybe one a month for supper for
>>a Saturday lunch.

>Oh, dang... I'm hungry and I think there's a can of tuna in the
>cupboard. Lunch time!

Wayne, that was delish! I wouldn't have made it if you hadn't
mentioned it. Thanks!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 4:12*pm, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> "projectile vomit chick" > wrote in ....
> On Aug 16, 1:38 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>

> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > > It's what's for dinner.
> > > TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
> > > little bow tie pastas
> > > four green onions, sliced
> > > about 3/4 cup sliced celery
> > > maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
> > > 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
> > > mayo
> > > Mrs. Dash

> > > It's some good. We'll eat in 45 minutes.
> > > --
> > > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > >http://web.me.com/barbschaller-Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
> > > And check this, too:
> > >http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

> > What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????

> It got thrown in the garbage!
>
> Actually tuna tetrazzini is very good, as are tuna pot pies, my mom would
> make both often and no matter how much she made is was never enough for the
> five of us... of course in those days canned tuna was a far higher quality
> product than the meow mix they pass off as tuna nowadays... back then they
> didn't even have water packed (unless you bought Season or Geisha brand), we
> bought packed in olive oil, and the can was larger, a full D cup worth, one
> was enough for a big guy... now I gotta eat two of those measly A cups.- Hide quoted text -

Oh I had forgotten all about tuna tetrazzini, I haven't had that in
ages. I know what I will be making soon : D

I agree, canned tuna is not what it used to be. I remember the oil
pack, I remember it being good. The last time I bought it, I thought
someone had accidentally put in mackerel....gross!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Aug 2009 02:32:28p, sf told us...

> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:05:32 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:15:37 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>
>>>It's waiting for someone to make it. :-) I like it, but have made it
>>>in recent memory. I like adding chopped green onions and green peas to
>>>it. When I was growing up, we used to have it maybe one a month for
>>>supper for a Saturday lunch.

>>Oh, dang... I'm hungry and I think there's a can of tuna in the
>>cupboard. Lunch time!

> Wayne, that was delish! I wouldn't have made it if you hadn't
> mentioned it. Thanks!

I'm so glad you made it and enjoyed it!

--
Wayne Boatwright
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. George Bernard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????
>
> Dimitri

Nothing. Do you put peas in yours? I do. I love it. Rob will eat it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-16, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Nothing. Do you put peas in yours? I do. I love it. Rob will eat it.

I passed it on to my daughter when she was at a very young age and picky
stage. She liked it. w00t!

The creamed-tuna-on-toast torch is passed.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> It's what's for dinner.
>> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
>> little bow tie pastas
>> four green onions, sliced
>> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
>> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
>> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
>> mayo
>> Mrs. Dash
>>
>> It's some good. We'll eat in 45 minutes.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
>> And check this, too:
>> http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

> What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????
>
> Dimitri

We have it a few times every winter, usually Sunday nights when I just
don't feel like cooking.

An interesting tuna salad that I learned to make when we lived in an
Italian community in R.I. was canned tuna mixed with bottled,drained
and blotted, Progresso "pepper salad", mixed pepper strips in olive oil.
It was a tasty combination. That was before canned tuna took on the
consistency of total mush.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 5:13*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Dimitri" > wrote:
> > What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????

> > Dimitri

> Nothing. *Do you put peas in yours? *I do. *I love it. *Rob will eat it.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
> And check this, too:http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

Third try to post this!
Creamed tuna on toast is appearing frequently on the table of She-who-
has-no-teeth . . .
Lynn in Fargo
PS Peas are great - frozen but not the little teeny ones - they don't
squash easily. Like eating BBs!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig > wrote in

on Aug Sun 2009 pm

> On Aug 16, 5:13*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> *"Dimitri" > wrote:
>> > What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????

>> > Dimitri

>> Nothing. *Do you put peas in yours? *I do. *I love it. *Rob will

> eat it.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- Yes,
>> I Ca

> n! blog - check it out
>> And check this,
>> too:http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&pag

> e=1
>
> Third try to post this!
> Creamed tuna on toast is appearing frequently on the table of She-who-
> has-no-teeth . . .
> Lynn in Fargo
> PS Peas are great - frozen but not the little teeny ones - they don't
> squash easily. Like eating BBs!

Picnic pork shoulder done in a crockpot...is quite easy on the gums and cheap too. And also dices
nice into scrambled eggs...ooops I forgot your jewish. How jewish are you...maybe pork won't be
an issue...I'll risk your scorn.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>> It's what's for dinner.
>>> TJ solid white albacore tuna in a can
>>> little bow tie pastas
>>> four green onions, sliced
>>> about 3/4 cup sliced celery
>>> maybe a cup or so frozen green peas
>>> 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut with gizmo
>>> mayo
>>> Mrs. Dash
>>>
>>> It's some good. We'll eat in 45 minutes.
>>> --
>>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
>>> And check this, too:
>>> http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

>> What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????
>>
>> Dimitri

> We have it a few times every winter, usually Sunday nights when I just
> don't feel like cooking.
>
> An interesting tuna salad that I learned to make when we lived in an
> Italian community in R.I. was canned tuna mixed with bottled,drained
> and blotted, Progresso "pepper salad", mixed pepper strips in olive oil.
> It was a tasty combination. That was before canned tuna took on the
> consistency of total mush.
>
> gloria p

Gloria - Have you tried the "packets", particularly the Albacore comes
in quite nice chunks that need to be dismembered for salad use. All this
talk of tuna today, and I changed my dinner choice to tuna salad
sandwiches instead of a casserole I was going to make since its
currently 87F in the house.

Bob

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
>> What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????
>>
>> Dimitri

> Nothing. Do you put peas in yours? I do. I love it. Rob will eat it.

Sure - peas, sautéed onion, maybe some celery.

Comfort food!

Remember Creamed Vegetables - with a pinch of cayenne?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Dimitri" > wrote:
> >
> >> What ever happened to creamed tuna on toast????
> >>
> >> Dimitri

> > Nothing. Do you put peas in yours? I do. I love it. Rob will eat it.

> Sure - peas, sautéed onion, maybe some celery.

Pretty fancy there, D.

> Comfort food!
>
> Remember Creamed Vegetables - with a pinch of cayenne?
>
> Dimitri

Before I married, I observed meatless Wednesdays and Fridays during
Lent. Creamed salmon on toast. Creamed peas and carrots on toast.
Creamed tuna on toast. Never had creamed eggs on toast, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria wrote:

>> There *has* to be some use for the large tough peas. Of course, you could
>> use them in a puréed soup, and I think the Brits make "mushy" peas by
>> drying large peas and then cooking them, but what other uses could be
>> good?
>>
>> I'll think about it for a while, but thought I'd throw the question out
>> there.

> I can think of three uses offhand:
>
> Spackle.
> Grout.
> Compost.

You're not helping, you know... :-)

The most-promising things I came up with are these:

Gnocchi
Hummus (but you'd want to use a food mill)
Empanadas or Samosas (as part of the filling)
Puréed as a thickener for minestrone
Puréed with butter, lettuce, and mint as a sauce for lamb

I really think they can be redeemed...but it's not an easy task!

Bob

Best Ever Tuna Salad AJ Recipes (moderated) 0 10-08-2006 05:12 AM
Tuna Salad Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 10-05-2006 02:18 AM
Tuna Salad Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 03:02 PM
Egg Salad was ( Tuna Salad - horribly salty) Hahabogus General Cooking 8 14-02-2005 02:47 PM