Hahabogus

Default Egg Salad was ( Tuna Salad - horribly salty)

Dog3 > wrote in
1:

> I am going to try some of these suggestions next time. How does
> everyone do their egg salad? I do not make it often and do not have
> a down pat recipe. I'll remove the yolks and do a large dice on
> them, same with the whites, gently mix together. Then I'll add mayo,
> small dice of celery, miniscule dice of onion and a small pinch of
> cayenne pepper. Stick in fridge for an hour and then eat all of it.
> How does everyone else make their egg salad?
>
> Michael

No garlic? I like a little bell pepper in my egg salad

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Phyllis Stone

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Dog3 > wrote in
> 1:
>
>> I am going to try some of these suggestions next time. How does
>> everyone do their egg salad? I do not make it often and do not have
>> a down pat recipe. I'll remove the yolks and do a large dice on
>> them, same with the whites, gently mix together. Then I'll add mayo,
>> small dice of celery, miniscule dice of onion and a small pinch of
>> cayenne pepper. Stick in fridge for an hour and then eat all of it.
>> How does everyone else make their egg salad?
>>
>> Michael
>>

> No garlic? I like a little bell pepper in my egg salad

I like some sliced ripe olives too.

Dog3 wrote:

> I am going to try some of these suggestions next time. How does

everyone do
> their egg salad?

My version of egg salad is simple. I remove and cream the egg yolks
with the mayo; chop the whites (not a fine chop....the whites are
clearly recognizable). Chop a small amount of celery and a very small
amount of onion. Add a small amount of salt, maybe a small amount of
cayenne (depends on my mood). Mix the egg-mayo with everything and put
in the fridge for an hour or more. Serve with a selection of olives on
the side and a few pieces of dark rye bread.

Mac

Bob

Michael wrote:

> How does everyone do their egg salad? I do not make it often and do not
> have a down pat recipe. I'll remove the yolks and do a large dice on them,
> same with the whites, gently mix together. Then I'll add mayo, small dice
> of celery, miniscule dice of onion and a small pinch of cayenne pepper.
> Stick in fridge for an hour and then eat all of it. How does everyone else
> make their egg salad?

I leave out the cayenne (and garlic, which was mentioned in a later post).
I add a little bit of cider vinegar, mustard, and finely-crumbled bacon. I
might sprinkle it with chopped parsley or paprika. Olives aren't amiss
either, they're just not a "must-have".

Bob

-L.

Dog3 wrote:

> I am going to try some of these suggestions next time. How does

everyone do
> their egg salad?

I'm pretty muich a purist. Mash boiled eggs with a fork, add a couple
T's Miracle whip, a squirt of Plotchman's mustard, a grind or two of
black pepper, salt to taste, sprinkle of celery seed and chopped celery
including leaves. Keeps well in fridge - wonderful on saltines.

-L.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 12:23:22a, -L. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dog3 wrote:
>>
>> I am going to try some of these suggestions next time. How does
>> everyone do their egg salad?

> I'm pretty muich a purist. Mash boiled eggs with a fork, add a couple
> T's Miracle whip, a squirt of Plotchman's mustard, a grind or two of
> black pepper, salt to taste, sprinkle of celery seed and chopped celery
> including leaves. Keeps well in fridge - wonderful on saltines.
>
> -L.

That's almost my formula, but I use mayo and add a little minced onion.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 06:12:54a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Bob" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Michael wrote:
>>
>>> How does everyone do their egg salad? I do not make it often and do
>>> not have a down pat recipe. I'll remove the yolks and do a large dice
>>> on them, same with the whites, gently mix together. Then I'll add
>>> mayo, small dice of celery, miniscule dice of onion and a small pinch
>>> of cayenne pepper. Stick in fridge for an hour and then eat all of
>>> it. How does everyone else make their egg salad?

>> I leave out the cayenne (and garlic, which was mentioned in a later
>> post). I add a little bit of cider vinegar, mustard, and
>> finely-crumbled bacon. I might sprinkle it with chopped parsley or
>> paprika. Olives aren't amiss either, they're just not a "must-have".
>>
>> Bob

> I think Damsel mentioned the mustard before. I'm going to try it. Seems
> like several folks use it in egg salad. I'll pass on the bacon (way too
> much fat for me, considering the mayo) but it sounds good.
>
> Michael

Michael, have you tried "Just 2 Good" mayo from Hellman's or Best Foods?
Just 2 grams of fat per serving, and the closest I've found to the real
thing. I keep both that and the full fat style on hand, but I find I'm
using Just 2 Good more often.

Oh, I use just a squirt of Plochman's yellow mustard in my egg salad.
Perks up the flavor a bit.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 06:32:41a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Mon 14 Feb 2005 06:12:54a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> "Bob" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> I think Damsel mentioned the mustard before. I'm going to try it.
>>> Seems like several folks use it in egg salad. I'll pass on the bacon
>>> (way too much fat for me, considering the mayo) but it sounds good.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Michael, have you tried "Just 2 Good" mayo from Hellman's or Best
>> Foods? Just 2 grams of fat per serving, and the closest I've found to
>> the real thing. I keep both that and the full fat style on hand, but
>> I find I'm using Just 2 Good more often.
>>
>> Oh, I use just a squirt of Plochman's yellow mustard in my egg salad.
>> Perks up the flavor a bit.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> I have not tried 'Just 2 Good' but will keep on the lookout for it. I
> either make my own mayo or I buy Hellman's. The regular kind. I can NOT
> stand the low/no fat mayonnaise the manufacturers put out. I use Benecol
> as a butter substitute for toast, bagels and to put on veggies. I like
> it and it is tasty. I never use low/no fat ingredients to cook with
> unless a recipe specifies it.
>
> Michael

I can't stand those low/no fat mayonnaise products, either, but the Just 2
Good was a really pleasant surprise.

Wayne (who's got to get to work now)

Jean B.

Dog3 wrote:

> I am going to try some of these suggestions next time. How does everyone do
> their egg salad? I do not make it often and do not have a down pat recipe.
> I'll remove the yolks and do a large dice on them, same with the whites,
> gently mix together. Then I'll add mayo, small dice of celery, miniscule
> dice of onion and a small pinch of cayenne pepper. Stick in fridge for an
> hour and then eat all of it. How does everyone else make their egg salad?
>
> Michael

I hate to say this, but after years of fiddling around with egg
salad recipes, I have gone back to the basics (after tasting it
that way when I made it for my daughter): eggs, mayo (was
Hellman's, dunno what I'm going to use now), salt, and (for me)
freshly ground black pepper. Maybe with lettuce. And there
should be barely more mayo than is necessary to get the mixture to
stick together. I hate egg salad that is gloppy with too much
mayo.

--
Jean B.

Tuna Salad Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 40 17-08-2009 04:37 AM
Best Ever Tuna Salad AJ Recipes (moderated) 0 10-08-2006 05:12 AM
Tuna Salad Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 10-05-2006 02:18 AM
Tuna Salad - horribly salty Bud General Cooking 30 14-02-2005 03:31 AM