Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 11 Feb 2005 07:54:26p, Bud wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Made tuna salad as follows.
>
> Tuna - Star-Kist - solid white - canned - 6 oz.
> Mayo - 2 heaping tablespoons.
> Sweet pickles - 6 medium size - chopped..
> Onion - 1/3 medium size - chopped.
> Celery - 1 1/2 medium stalks - chopped.
> Olives - 20 large - chopped.
> Eggs - 2 large - chopped.
> Pepper - 1/8 teaspoon.
>
> All were good quality brand name items.
>
> Refrigerated, after consuming about half of it. No problem with
> refrigerator. Within approximately 19 hours it had a terrible taste, as
> though at least a full tablespoon of salt had been added. Has anyone ever
> heard of such a thing?
>
> Bud (in Oceanside, Ca.)

Though you might not notice it in the individual items, all olives are
salty, celery is naturally salty, even sweet pickles are salty. After
everything has been combined and allow to sit for 19 hours, flavors do
change and the saltiness of those items can become prominent.

20 olives and 6 pickles for 1 little can of tuna is a LOT! I would
probably have only put 1/2 to a whole stalk of celery. Did you ever taste
the tuna?

Personally, when I make tuna salad, I won't even eat it if it's been in the
fridge more than an hour, must less 19 hours.

Have you done this before? Similar or different results?

Obviously, a solution is to limit the salty items and consume all of it
within a "reasonable" period of time.

Cheers!
Wayne