Ruddell

Default Boston Market

I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
different of course.

Anyone got a rating on BM?

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
Vox Humana

"Ruddell" > wrote in message

> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> different of course.
>
> Anyone got a rating on BM?

Boston Market is owned by McDonald's Corp. They serve homey food with an
emphasis on their side dishes. They sort of crashed and burned here In
Cincinnati. I know of only one location that remains open. Like many
restaurants, they started out with a good idea - offering an alternative to
burgers and pizza. At first the places were clean and well maintained and
the food was OK - not as good as you would make at home, but OK. All of a
sudden they seems to hit the skids. The stores were dirty and often they
would be out of food long before they closed. Shortly after that, most of
them closed.

By the way, I remember a Swiss Chalet restaurant that operated in Columbus,
Ohio back in the late 70's or early 80's. I sort of liked their chicken but
the menu was very limited. As I recall, they had chicken and the meals were
served in disposable aluminum take-out pans. That restaurant only lasted
about two years.

Jeanne Burton

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:32:20 -0000, Ruddell
> wrote:

>I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
>Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
>different of course.
>
>Anyone got a rating on BM?

I've never been to Swiss Chalet because they don't have them here, but
we have a Boston Market on every corner, it seems.

I think they're quite expensive for quasi-fast food. Average plate
(entree, 2 sides of your choice) is around $8 US. Their new thing is
that they'll deliver "for free". Every item on their delivery menu is
$2 more than in the store. Not a great "free service".

That said, their food is OK, and they have more vegetable sides, etc
than the typical quick-food joint. My daughter is quite partial to
their garlic-dill new potatoes, and I know several people who adore
their creamed spinach.

One last thing...my sister "interviewed" with them for a management
position, which involves working in their kitchen without pay for 6
hours. She said every one of their so-called fresh side dishes comes
pre-frozen in bags, shipped from a central commissary. Nothing is
prepared fresh on-site.

Jeanne
Debra Fritz

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:32:20 -0000, Ruddell
> wrote:

>I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
>Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
>different of course.
>
>Anyone got a rating on BM?

They've been around here in So. California for years. They are
franchises, so they vary from location to location.

The one nearest my house is quite good. I picked up food from them
several times while the kitchen was being remodled...and I found the
food to be tasty and fresh. We tried garlic chicken, meat loaf, turkey
breast and regular roasted chicken.

They offer a lot of side dishes and the cranberry relish was
terrific...the mashed potatoes are ok..as are the roasted garlic
potatoes... The steamed vegetables were way over cooked. The fresh
salads were ok too...and their fresh rolls were ok.

In addition to individual portions, they offer a "family" meal that
will serve 4 people...it's cheaper than 4 individual portions and you
get to pick the side dishes.

They also offer some desserts, but I never tried those.

Debra
Default User

Dog3 wrote:

> Boston Market here in St. Louis is always busy. I have ordered take

out
> from there 2 times. They keep raising their prices and the

restaurant I go
> to is outrageously expensive. I'd rather go to a restaurant than BM.

However, during the "great retrenching" for the chain, most of the STL
area stores closed, including the one in Florissant near me. I assume
you go to the Richmond Heights one? That and the Ballwin store are the
only ones left in the actual area, there's also one in Fairview
Heights.

Brian

Vox Humana

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...

> I lived in Columbus for 3 years. I lived in Bexley on Parkview. My
> apartment was in the Parkview Arms about a block from Tarpys on Main

Street
> in Bexley. I hung out in German Village and ate at Lindeys 3-4 times a
> week. I also liked the Firehouse and Max & Ermas. I fled Columbus. I did
> not like it there.

North Parkview - home of the governor's mansion and Les Wexner before he
bought the whole village of New Albany. Nice neighborhood. My partner
managed a store in Bexley at the Towne and Country center but we lived in
Victorian Village.

I went to OSU for 8 years and lived and worked in Columbus for about 10
years after graduation. I really liked Columbus because it was clean and
easy to get around. I find it much more progressive than Cincinnati. Back
in the early 1970s there wasn't much happening there, but now it is much
better. At one time there were few decent places to eat. The Swill Chalet
was on Dublin-Granville Road near Cleveland avenue. At that time fine
dining was the Brown Derby, the Wine Cellar, The Jai Lai, Christopher Inn,
Marzetti's, and a couple of steak houses like the Top. One bright spot was
the Engine House. I often went to their lower level restaurant, "The Spot,"
for late evening casual meals. We especially enjoyed the Charlie's Chowder
with a salad and that great bread. My other favorite place was the Jai Lai
where I had a house charge account. I had lunch there at least twice a week
and often ate dinner there on week nights. I remember Max and Erma's when
they had only the original German Village location. The franchised heavily
and then had lots of problems. They are back into the expansion mode but
the food is awful now and the menu is very weak. One open near me and after
giving them a try we felt there was no reason to return.

MareCat

"Ruddell" > wrote in message

> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> different of course.
>
> Anyone got a rating on BM?

There are lots of them still in the Houston area. We get takeout from there
every so often. Pretty good chicken and meatloaf, IMO. I also like their
chicken carver sandwiches. My two-year-old daughter loves their mashed
potatoes and mac & cheese.

Mary

Nola

On 9-Feb-2005, Ruddell > wrote:

> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> different of course.
>
> Anyone got a rating on BM?

Other than over salted, the food is fairly bland - intended to be acceptable
to everyone but terrific for none. It's target audience is the working
mother who'd like to believe she's providing a decent, home-style meal for
her family, without any more effort than getting in and out of the SUV. The
greatest effort comes when paying the monthly credit card charges.

You can see their menu at http://www.bostonmarket.com/

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

L, not -L

On 9-Feb-2005, Dog3 > wrote:

> I lived in Columbus for 3 years. I lived in Bexley on Parkview. My
> apartment was in the Parkview Arms about a block from Tarpys on Main
> Street
> in Bexley. I hung out in German Village and ate at Lindeys 3-4 times a
> week. I also liked the Firehouse and Max & Ermas. I fled Columbus. I did
> not like it there.

The Max & Erma's you mentioned - is it a Drury Inn restaurant like the one
in St. Louis? They have some interesting items on the menu and the few
items I've tried have been good. I'm told that Max and Erma are/were the
couple that started the Drury Inn motel chain and the only M&E I've seen is
in their hotel in downtown STL.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Vox Humana

"L, not -L" > wrote in message

> On 9-Feb-2005, Dog3 > wrote:
>
> > I lived in Columbus for 3 years. I lived in Bexley on Parkview. My
> > apartment was in the Parkview Arms about a block from Tarpys on Main
> > Street
> > in Bexley. I hung out in German Village and ate at Lindeys 3-4 times a
> > week. I also liked the Firehouse and Max & Ermas. I fled Columbus. I

did
> > not like it there.

> The Max & Erma's you mentioned - is it a Drury Inn restaurant like the one
> in St. Louis? They have some interesting items on the menu and the few
> items I've tried have been good. I'm told that Max and Erma are/were the
> couple that started the Drury Inn motel chain and the only M&E I've seen

is
> in their hotel in downtown STL.

Different Max and Erma, no doubt. These two were from the south side of
Columbus, Ohio. Their restaurants are known for burgers and onion rings.
There isn't anything on the menu that could reasonably be considered
interesting.
http://www.maxandermas.com/

Dimitri

"Ruddell" > wrote in message

> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> different of course.
>
> Anyone got a rating on BM?
>

> --
> Cheers
>
> Dennis
>
> Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

The Boston Market Corp was one of the darlings of Wall Street in the 90's.
The grew like a weed like many other corporations and then imploded. Their
idea was rather simple they had 3 kinds of meat - Ham, Fresh roasted Turket
and Chicken and a wide variety of sides. They were designed primairly as a
Take-Out operation with a few tables inside.

See their takeover histroy below.

Dimitri
http://retailindustry.about.com/libr.../aa120299a.htm

Dated December 2, 1999

Fast food giant, McDonald's Corporation announced on Wednesday that its
Golden Restaurant Operations subsidiary is buying from Boston Chicken, the
majority of the assets of Boston Market restaurants. The $173.5 million,
bottom-dollar deal includes 751 restaurants, franchise rights for an
additional 108 restaurants and certain related liabilities.

The deal is the biggest acquisition in McDonald's history. McDonald's
Corporation Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jack M. Greenberg commented
on Boston Market, "the brand is well-established, with excellent employees,
quality products, loyal customers, and future growth potential."

"Because of the accomplishments of the employees of the Boston Market system
in putting the business back onto a positive footing, we are committed to
offering employment and career growth opportunities to all Boston Market
restaurant and Support Center employees," said Jeffrey B. Kindler, EVP of
McDonald's, and leader of the McDonald's team managing the acquisition.
Even though McDonald's feels good about the outlook for the Boston Market
brand, it was obvious from other statements by Greenberg that brand alone
didn't sell the burger giant on the deal. The real estate is what made the
difference. Most of the Boston Market sites are in highly desirable
locations, perfect for the ongoing expansion of McDonald's Golden Restaurant
Operations restaurants, Donatos Pizza and Chipotle Mexican Grill. Boston
Market restaurants are located in more than 30 states, with the majority of
sites in the East and Midwest.
The sale, subject to government and bankruptcy court approvals, does not
include Boston Chicken's interest in Einstein/Noah Bagel Corporation.
McDonald's shares closed up $1.50 in composite trading on the New York Stock
Exchange Wednesday, at $46.625 a share.
With current debt obligations totaling more than $900 million in bankruptcy,
Boston Chicken has publicly disclosed for the past year that holders of
Boston Chicken's equity securities will retain no value under a
reorganization plan and Boston Chicken anticipates that its bond holders
will not retain any value under the plan. Boston Chicken's equity and debt
securities will be canceled upon plan confirmation.

http://www.interbrand.com/portfolio_...portfolio=1329
Launched in 1995, Boston Market was, at the time, the most successful IPO in
U.S. history. Since that time, Boston Market has expanded to over 650
company-owned restaurants throughout the U.S. As the company's tagline says:
"We're always cooking," giving families a great alternative to a staying in.

Vox Humana

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...

> I practically lived at the Kahiki on Broadway. I was there so often,mostly
> in the bar, (Kay and Michael were the bartenders then) management issued

me
> my own personal credit card.

Oh yes, the Kahiki. It was THE place to go in the 1970s. I only went there
once, for lunch, after I had a bilateral mandibular block so eating was an
adventure even without the tiki torches and simulated thunder storms.
Unfortunately, it closed and was demolished about 5 years ago.
http://www.ohiopreservation.org/Kahiki.htm
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...ractionNo==989

> I have been to the Jai Lai. I do not remember where it is located.

The Jai Lai was located on Olentangy River Road just southwest of campus -
between 5th. and King as I recall. It had an old club feeling with the
Spanish baroque interior and was a favorite hangout for the likes of Woody
Hayes. The menu had classic dishes like prime rib and chateaubriand. I
loved their Napoleons. Like the Kahiki, it was demolished a few years ago
and replaced with a strip mall.

> That's too bad about M&E's. I really enjoyed the place. What was the place
> named that was just a few blocks from OSU? It had a terrific patio almost
> on the street on a main street. I would love to dine out there in the
> spring and summer. I did not sit too close to the street as students would
> drive by and throw 1/2 full beer cans at the diners Bad, bad children.

> got to Cleveland and Pittsburg often. I did not spend a lot of time in
> Cincinatti. Cincinatti was a bit too stuffy and repressed for me.

I'm not sure about the place south of campus. Maybe you are thinking about
Rigsby's in the Short North.
http://www.theshortnorth.com/Restaurants.htm

I grew up near Pittsburgh and get back there at least once a year, sometimes
more if I can arrange some continuing ed at Pitt. It's a wonderful town.
My sister lives east of Cleveland. I don't care much for Cleveland.

George

Nola wrote:

> Other than over salted, the food is fairly bland - intended to be acceptable
> to everyone but terrific for none. It's target audience is the working
> mother who'd like to believe she's providing a decent, home-style meal for
> her family, without any more effort than getting in and out of the SUV. The
> greatest effort comes when paying the monthly credit card charges.
>
> You can see their menu at http://www.bostonmarket.com/

There were 2 of them in our area (both now closed). Your description
was good. I also thought they had oversalted "industrial" food.

> x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
> x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
> x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month
> x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

L, not -L

On 9-Feb-2005, "Vox Humana" > wrote:

> Different Max and Erma, no doubt. These two were from the south side of
> Columbus, Ohio. Their restaurants are known for burgers and onion rings.
> There isn't anything on the menu that could reasonably be considered
> interesting.
> http://www.maxandermas.com/

Looks like it is the same outfit; when I put in a local zip code, the
downtown STL location was one of several returned. It looks like the
waitress that told me who Max and Erma were must have been having a good
time pulling my leg.

I have only been there for lunch a few times, mostly with groups of 8-10; on
each visit, I enjoyed the food I ordered, as did others in the group. I do
recall several people gave very positive reviews of the salmon Caesar salad
and some other salmon dish. Perhaps the cooks at this one are particularly
good or the hotel monitors and enforces their quality.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Dee Randall

"Nola" > wrote in message

> On 9-Feb-2005, Ruddell > wrote:
>
>> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
>> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
>> different of course.
>>
>> Anyone got a rating on BM?

> Other than over salted, the food is fairly bland - intended to be
> acceptable
> to everyone but terrific for none. It's target audience is the working
> mother who'd like to believe she's providing a decent, home-style meal for
> her family, without any more effort than getting in and out of the SUV.

We stopped very hungry late one night near Fairfax, VA at a BM probably
about 2 years ago. The regular food was so sweet we could barely eat it. We
never went back there and always comment whenever we see a BM about their
sweet food. It seemed to stick in our mind.
Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Feb 2005 03:32:20p, Ruddell wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> different of course.
>
> Anyone got a rating on BM?

The number of Boston Market stores varies considerably from area to area.
Here in the Phoenix area there are quite a few. When they first opened I
believe the name was Boston Chicken. For several years we used to go
occasionally. We stopped after one of our visits when we observed them
cleaning the inside of the glass enclosure that covers the food in the
serving line. They were spraying a cleaner inside the glass and it was
dripping into the food before they had wiped it clear. Even it it hadn't
dripped, the fact that they were spraying it over the food was just as bad.

Wayne

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Nola" > wrote in message
> >
> > On 9-Feb-2005, Ruddell > wrote:
> >
> >> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> >> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> >> different of course.
> >>
> >> Anyone got a rating on BM?

> > Other than over salted, the food is fairly bland - intended to be
> > acceptable
> > to everyone but terrific for none. It's target audience is the working
> > mother who'd like to believe she's providing a decent, home-style meal

for
> > her family, without any more effort than getting in and out of the SUV.

> We stopped very hungry late one night near Fairfax, VA at a BM probably
> about 2 years ago. The regular food was so sweet we could barely eat it.

We
> never went back there and always comment whenever we see a BM about their
> sweet food. It seemed to stick in our mind.
> Dee

The cornbread is like a Hostess Twinkie without the filling!

Vox Humana

"L, not -L" > wrote in message

> On 9-Feb-2005, "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > Different Max and Erma, no doubt. These two were from the south side of
> > Columbus, Ohio. Their restaurants are known for burgers and onion

rings.
> > There isn't anything on the menu that could reasonably be considered
> > interesting.
> > http://www.maxandermas.com/

> Looks like it is the same outfit; when I put in a local zip code, the
> downtown STL location was one of several returned. It looks like the
> waitress that told me who Max and Erma were must have been having a good
> time pulling my leg.
>
> I have only been there for lunch a few times, mostly with groups of 8-10;

on
> each visit, I enjoyed the food I ordered, as did others in the group. I

do
> recall several people gave very positive reviews of the salmon Caesar

salad
> and some other salmon dish. Perhaps the cooks at this one are

particularly
> good or the hotel monitors and enforces their quality.

I guess that I remember the original place with big juicy burger on good
rolls, freshly made onion rings, tasty clam strips, and big frosty glasses
of beer. The new places seem so generic and the food was bland. The new
building actually was brought in on trucks and the pieces were assembled
over a couple a day once the slab was poured. It was almost as instant as a
cake from a box and that was my impression of the food. I suppose there are
a number of things that influence our impressions, expectations being a
major factor. I just expect better. A new place, Jimmy Buffet's
Cheeseburger in Paradise just went in across the street for the Max and
Erma's . I'll wait until the crowds die down a bit before trying that one.

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Feb 2005 06:36:51p, Vox Humana wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "L, not -L" > wrote in message
>>
>> On 9-Feb-2005, "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>>
>> > Different Max and Erma, no doubt. These two were from the south side
>> > of Columbus, Ohio. Their restaurants are known for burgers and onion
>> > rings. There isn't anything on the menu that could reasonably be
>> > considered interesting. http://www.maxandermas.com/

>> Looks like it is the same outfit; when I put in a local zip code, the
>> downtown STL location was one of several returned. It looks like the
>> waitress that told me who Max and Erma were must have been having a
>> good time pulling my leg.
>>
>> I have only been there for lunch a few times, mostly with groups of
>> 8-10; on each visit, I enjoyed the food I ordered, as did others in the
>> group. I do recall several people gave very positive reviews of the
>> salmon Caesar salad and some other salmon dish. Perhaps the cooks at
>> this one are particularly good or the hotel monitors and enforces their
>> quality.

> I guess that I remember the original place with big juicy burger on good
> rolls, freshly made onion rings, tasty clam strips, and big frosty
> glasses of beer. The new places seem so generic and the food was bland.
> The new building actually was brought in on trucks and the pieces were
> assembled over a couple a day once the slab was poured. It was almost
> as instant as a cake from a box and that was my impression of the food.
> I suppose there are a number of things that influence our impressions,
> expectations being a major factor. I just expect better. A new place,
> Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise just went in across the street
> for the Max and Erma's . I'll wait until the crowds die down a bit
> before trying that one.

I have been numerous times to the original Max & Erma's in German Village
and always enjoyed it. When we still lived the Cleveland area, we used to
frequent a M&M that was built in the early 1990s. The restaurant was large
and the menu expanded, but the quality was quite good.

Wayne

Arri London

Ruddell wrote:

> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> different of course.
>
> Anyone got a rating on BM?
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Dennis

If you like greasy salty chicken then it's the place to go LOL! Somewhat
overpriced 'midwestern home style' cooking.

Ginny Sher

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:32:20 -0000, Ruddell
> wrote:

>I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
>Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
>different of course.
>
>Anyone got a rating on BM?

BM can mean other than Boston Market, if you catch my drift...

Ginny

Ruddell

In > Arri London wrote:

> Ruddell wrote:
>>
>> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
>> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
>> different of course.
>>
>> Anyone got a rating on BM?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dennis

> If you like greasy salty chicken then it's the place to go LOL!
> Somewhat overpriced 'midwestern home style' cooking.

Yeah, well it sure looks good on tv...lol.

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
Ruddell

In > Vox Humana wrote:

> I guess that I remember the original place with big juicy burger on
> good rolls, freshly made onion rings, tasty clam strips, and big
> frosty glasses of beer. The new places seem so generic and the food
> was bland. The new building actually was brought in on trucks and the
> pieces were assembled over a couple a day once the slab was poured.
> It was almost as instant as a cake from a box and that was my
> impression of the food. I suppose there are a number of things that
> influence our impressions, expectations being a major factor. I just
> expect better. A new place, Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise
> just went in across the street for the Max and Erma's . I'll wait
> until the crowds die down a bit before trying that one.

Is this the place you're talking about?

http://www.epinions.com/content_171100507780

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
Edwin Pawlowski

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> Boston Market is owned by McDonald's Corp. They serve homey food with an
> emphasis on their side dishes. They sort of crashed and burned here In
> Cincinnati. I know of only one location that remains open. Like many
> restaurants, they started out with a good idea - offering an alternative
> burgers and pizza.

The reason they are owned by McD is that when there were an expanding local
to Boston chain, they crashed and burned. That was probably 15 years ago.
They had good food, home cooked quality. That all ended and are barely
mediocre now. I've not been to one in probably five years.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Ruddell

In > Vox Humana wrote:

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

>> We stopped very hungry late one night near Fairfax, VA at a BM
>> probably about 2 years ago. The regular food was so sweet we could
>> barely eat it.

> We
>> never went back there and always comment whenever we see a BM about
>> their sweet food. It seemed to stick in our mind. Dee

> The cornbread is like a Hostess Twinkie without the filling!

mmmm, twinkies. Hey, I heard that Hostess was going broke and Twinkies
were going to be a thing of the past?

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

Ruddell

In > Ginny Sher wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:32:20 -0000, Ruddell
> > wrote:
>

>>I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
>>Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
>>different of course.
>>
>>Anyone got a rating on BM?

> BM can mean other than Boston Market, if you catch my drift...

Well, it referred to the context of my post so I think most will have
figured it out :-)

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
Julia Altshuler

Arri London wrote:

> If you like greasy salty chicken then it's the place to go LOL! Somewhat
> overpriced 'midwestern home style' cooking.

I'll say this for Boston Chicken, once in a great while, I'm in a
situation where I'm hungry and all that's available is fast food. I far
prefer Boston Chicken to MacDonald's or Burger King or KFC or Taco Bell
or the rest of the fast food joints.

--Lia

Dee Randall

"Ruddell" > wrote in message
> In > Vox Humana wrote:
>>
>> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

>>> We stopped very hungry late one night near Fairfax, VA at a BM
>>> probably about 2 years ago. The regular food was so sweet we could
>>> barely eat it.

>> We
>>> never went back there and always comment whenever we see a BM about
>>> their sweet food. It seemed to stick in our mind. Dee

>> The cornbread is like a Hostess Twinkie without the filling!

> mmmm, twinkies. Hey, I heard that Hostess was going broke and Twinkies
> were going to be a thing of the past?

I'd better hurry and buy one -- I've never had a Twinkie. But I did live in
San Francisco, home to the "Twinkie Defense" and still didn't have one. But
now that you all mention it, I do recall having cornbread at BM -- maybe it
comes with all the meals.
dee

L, not -L

On 9-Feb-2005, "Vox Humana" > wrote:

> The cornbread is like a Hostess Twinkie without the filling!

That would be weird, especially in VA; sweet cornbread is a northern thing.
Southern cornbread is not normally sweet.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

L, not -L

On 9-Feb-2005, "Vox Humana" > wrote:

> I guess that I remember the original place with big juicy burger on good
> rolls, freshly made onion rings, tasty clam strips, and big frosty glasses
> of beer. The new places seem so generic and the food was bland. The new
> building actually was brought in on trucks and the pieces were assembled
> over a couple a day once the slab was poured. It was almost as instant as
> cake from a box and that was my impression of the food. I suppose there
> are
> a number of things that influence our impressions, expectations being a
> major factor. I just expect better. A new place, Jimmy Buffet's
> Cheeseburger in Paradise just went in across the street for the Max and
> Erma's . I'll wait until the crowds die down a bit before trying that
> one.

I agree about the influences. The building the STL M&E occupies is an
historic building that was "saved" by conversion. It's the old Fur Exchange
building, in a scenic location near the Mississippi, with a "mall" (the park
kind, not shopping) and river view. A cafeteria had been in the location
for years and this food is a definite step up from that.

There are much better places to eat nearby, but at much higher cost. There
are also much worse places to eat. I worked in downtown STL for 30 years
and may have been happy with their food simply because it was not the same
stuff I'd been eating for the past 30 years<grin>.

For burgers in downtown STL, I'll go to Dooley's Irish Pub - and soon, now
that I'm thinking about it

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Feb 2005 08:03:01p, L, not -L wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9-Feb-2005, "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
>> The cornbread is like a Hostess Twinkie without the filling!

> That would be weird, especially in VA; sweet cornbread is a northern thing.
> Southern cornbread is not normally sweet.

BM's cornbread is sweet no matter where they're located.

Wayne
Vox Humana

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > Boston Market is owned by McDonald's Corp. They serve homey food with

an
> > emphasis on their side dishes. They sort of crashed and burned here In
> > Cincinnati. I know of only one location that remains open. Like many
> > restaurants, they started out with a good idea - offering an alternative
> > burgers and pizza.

> The reason they are owned by McD is that when there were an expanding

local
> to Boston chain, they crashed and burned. That was probably 15 years ago.
> They had good food, home cooked quality. That all ended and are barely
> mediocre now. I've not been to one in probably five years.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Yep. That's my experience also. It started out OK. Expanded. Crashed.
Enter McDonalds. Now it is sucks.

Vox Humana

"Ruddell" > wrote in message
> In > Vox Humana wrote:
> >
> > "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> >> We stopped very hungry late one night near Fairfax, VA at a BM
> >> probably about 2 years ago. The regular food was so sweet we could
> >> barely eat it.

> > We
> >> never went back there and always comment whenever we see a BM about
> >> their sweet food. It seemed to stick in our mind. Dee

> > The cornbread is like a Hostess Twinkie without the filling!

> mmmm, twinkies. Hey, I heard that Hostess was going broke and Twinkies
> were going to be a thing of the past?

They are in bankruptcy, but I don't think they will close up shop. They
blame the problems on the low carb craze.

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Ruddell" > wrote in message

> >> We
> >>

> >> The cornbread is like a Hostess Twinkie without the filling!

> > mmmm, twinkies. Hey, I heard that Hostess was going broke and Twinkies
> > were going to be a thing of the past?
> >

> I'd better hurry and buy one -- I've never had a Twinkie. But I did live

in
> San Francisco, home to the "Twinkie Defense" and still didn't have one.

But
> now that you all mention it, I do recall having cornbread at BM -- maybe

it
> comes with all the meals.
> dee

It's a small, sticky log - very sweet.

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Feb 2005 08:11:09p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Gawd, did you visit any of the festivals? The tomato festival in
> Reynoldsburg was interesting. I met David Selby (Dark
> Shadows/Falconcrest fame) at the festival. My friend, Alissa
> Schottenstein and I went and she is friends with the Selby's. The Selbys
> were in Colombus to buy a horse from a famous horse farm in Colombus.
> Can't recall the name of it. The wife complained numerous times there
> was no SAKs in Columbus. Well, Lazarus was where I shopped. Still have
> my credit card and get a catalog now and then.
>
> 'Thanks for the memories'
>
> Michael

I 'member all that, too. Living in the Cleveland area, we often went down to
Columbus for something different than Cleveland offered. Probably before
your time there, but there used to be a Marzetti's (of the bottled salad
dressing "fame") Restaurant downtown. The Marzetti family had run it for
years. It wasn't far from Lazrus' downtown store. Their food was actually
rather good and predominantly Italian, although the place had the feeling of
a "tea room" where ladies lunch. :-)

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Feb 2005 08:13:18p, L, not -L wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I agree about the influences. The building the STL M&E occupies is an
> historic building that was "saved" by conversion. It's the old Fur
> Exchange building, in a scenic location near the Mississippi, with a
> "mall" (the park kind, not shopping) and river view. A cafeteria had
> been in the location for years and this food is a definite step up from
> that.
>
> There are much better places to eat nearby, but at much higher cost.
> There are also much worse places to eat. I worked in downtown STL for
> 30 years and may have been happy with their food simply because it was
> not the same stuff I'd been eating for the past 30 years<grin>.
>
> For burgers in downtown STL, I'll go to Dooley's Irish Pub - and soon,
> now that I'm thinking about it

One of the two best cafeterias I ever ate in was in STL, called Miss
Hulling's. The other was Britling's in Memphis. Both back in the 1950s.

Wayne
Vox Humana

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
..php3?tip_AttractionNo
> > ==989

> YES! Olentangy River Road is where it was located. Thank you for the
> memory jog. The food there was excellent. A strip mall? STRIP MALL! What

an
> abomination. I went to a lot of restaurants in Worthington but do not
> remember names of restaurants. I do not think I visited any one restaurant
> in Worthington more than one time. Not that food/service was bad in any

of
> them, but there were too many to choose from I almost moved to
> Worthington. There is an area with the most charming attached homes.
> Wainscoating, chair rails, hardwood floors, fireplace, garage, crown
> molding and built in book cases. I gave the real estate agent the check
> only to find out 2 hours later the place was already taken. I was ****ed.

Worthington is a gem, especially the old part near High Street and
Dublin-Granville Road. I lived in a wonderful townhouse in Worthington for
a while until the complex was sold off as condos. Unfortunately, most of
the restaurants were chain operations when I lived in the area. Morse Road
and SR 161 were lined with them. Now the action has moved to the north and
north-east. A giant mall, Polaris, was built north of Worthington. And
Easton, the megaplex developed by Wexner adjacent to his Limited Stores
empire, is a hot spot.
http://www.eastontowncenter.com/

The only place that I fondly remember in Worthington was Umberto's Cafe
Dolce. They had great gelato and a cakes. Interestingly, Donatos Pizza
also started in Worthington and was baught by McDonalds. They sold off the
pizza business more than a year ago.

> I just can not remember the name or street. The escargot was fantastic. I
> do not recognize any of those restaurants.

All the Short North stuff is fairly new - Rigsby's being one of the oldest,
was only open a couple years before I moved to Cinci. I just can't remember
anything near campus that would have had escargot. There was a small place
operated by Lisa Gallette (sp?) that served French food, but I can't recall
the name. It was in a Victorian house south of campus. There was also a
place called Coco's in Grandview Heights with a French menu.

> Gawd, did you visit any of the festivals? The tomato festival in
> Reynoldsburg was interesting. I met David Selby (Dark Shadows/Falconcrest
> fame) at the festival. My friend, Alissa Schottenstein and I went and she
> is friends with the Selby's. The Selbys were in Colombus to buy a horse
> from a famous horse farm in Colombus. Can't recall the name of it. The

wife
> complained numerous times there was no SAKs in Columbus. Well, Lazarus was
> where I shopped. Still have my credit card and get a catalog now and then.

Never went to many festivals. Unfortunately I dragged my parents to
Circleville for the pumpkin festival once when they visited. Let's just say
the place seemed to have a very small gene pool. The food - horrendous. I
can still remember getting some god awful "hobo" sandwich that tasted like
dog food. We didn't stay long. My partner worked for the Yakins who I
believe had ties to the Schottenstien family. Everyone who came into the
store wanted a discount because they knew the Yankins or Schottensteins!
Federated is ditching the Lazarus brand. It is now called Lazarus-Macy's
and some stores with newly installed signs simply say "Macy's" I loved
shopping at the downtown Lazarus store. When I was a student I would take
the bus from campus downtown to Lazarus and spend several hours "window
shopping" the massive store. Now much of the charm is gone. There is a
Marshall Field's across the street along with a Henry Bendel and Jacobson's.
In the suburbs, you can now find Nordstrom's.

Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 09 Feb 2005 08:11:09p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Gawd, did you visit any of the festivals? The tomato festival in
> > Reynoldsburg was interesting. I met David Selby (Dark
> > Shadows/Falconcrest fame) at the festival. My friend, Alissa
> > Schottenstein and I went and she is friends with the Selby's. The Selbys
> > were in Colombus to buy a horse from a famous horse farm in Colombus.
> > Can't recall the name of it. The wife complained numerous times there
> > was no SAKs in Columbus. Well, Lazarus was where I shopped. Still have
> > my credit card and get a catalog now and then.
> >
> > 'Thanks for the memories'
> >
> > Michael

> I 'member all that, too. Living in the Cleveland area, we often went down

> Columbus for something different than Cleveland offered. Probably before
> your time there, but there used to be a Marzetti's (of the bottled salad
> dressing "fame") Restaurant downtown. The Marzetti family had run it for
> years. It wasn't far from Lazrus' downtown store. Their food was

actually
> rather good and predominantly Italian, although the place had the feeling

of
> a "tea room" where ladies lunch. :-)

Marzetti's was on East Broad street, near the corner of Broad and High -
across the street from the capitol. It closed in the mid 70s. Do you
remember the Christopher Inn, just down Broad? It was the white, circular
hotel owned by the Catholic Church and later by the State Teacher's
Retirement Fund.

Vox Humana

"Ruddell" > wrote in message
> In > Vox Humana wrote:
>

> > I guess that I remember the original place with big juicy burger on
> > good rolls, freshly made onion rings, tasty clam strips, and big
> > frosty glasses of beer. The new places seem so generic and the food
> > was bland. The new building actually was brought in on trucks and the
> > pieces were assembled over a couple a day once the slab was poured.
> > It was almost as instant as a cake from a box and that was my
> > impression of the food. I suppose there are a number of things that
> > influence our impressions, expectations being a major factor. I just
> > expect better. A new place, Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise
> > just went in across the street for the Max and Erma's . I'll wait
> > until the crowds die down a bit before trying that one.

> Is this the place you're talking about?
>
> http://www.epinions.com/content_171100507780

Yes. Thanks for the link. I love reading review sites like tripadvisor.com
and epinions.

Shawn Hearn

In article >,
Ruddell > wrote:

> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> different of course.
>
> Anyone got a rating on BM?

Overpriced fast food that's intensely salty.