Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Feb 2005 09:21:56p, Vox Humana wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Wed 09 Feb 2005 08:11:09p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>> > Gawd, did you visit any of the festivals? The tomato festival in
>> > Reynoldsburg was interesting. I met David Selby (Dark
>> > Shadows/Falconcrest fame) at the festival. My friend, Alissa
>> > Schottenstein and I went and she is friends with the Selby's. The
>> > Selbys were in Colombus to buy a horse from a famous horse farm in
>> > Colombus. Can't recall the name of it. The wife complained numerous
>> > times there was no SAKs in Columbus. Well, Lazarus was where I
>> > shopped. Still have my credit card and get a catalog now and then.
>> >
>> > 'Thanks for the memories'
>> >
>> > Michael

>> I 'member all that, too. Living in the Cleveland area, we often went
>> down to Columbus for something different than Cleveland offered.
>> Probably before your time there, but there used to be a Marzetti's (of
>> the bottled salad dressing "fame") Restaurant downtown. The Marzetti
>> family had run it for years. It wasn't far from Lazrus' downtown
>> store. Their food was actually rather good and predominantly Italian,
>> although the place had the feeling of a "tea room" where ladies lunch.
>> :-)

> Marzetti's was on East Broad street, near the corner of Broad and High -
> across the street from the capitol. It closed in the mid 70s. Do you
> remember the Christopher Inn, just down Broad? It was the white,
> circular hotel owned by the Catholic Church and later by the State
> Teacher's Retirement Fund.

Yes, I remember it well, although I never actually went there, but passed
it many times.

Wayne

notbob

On 2005-02-10, Vox Humana > wrote:

> Yep. That's my experience also. It started out OK. Expanded. Crashed.
> Enter McDonalds. Now it is sucks.

So bad, in fact, the one they opened here didn't even last a year
before going belly up. It was literally a case of paying higher
prices for sub-KFC fare.

nb
Bob

Ginny replied:

>> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
>> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
>> different of course.
>>
>> Anyone got a rating on BM?

> BM can mean other than Boston Market, if you catch my drift...

Forgive my obtuseness, but I don't catch your drift. Are you trying to say
that Boston Market's food is tainted because it has the same abbreviation as
Bowel Movement? Are you just s******ing at the unvoiced scatological motif?
Or are you trying to imply something about Bob Myers?

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 01:49:01a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Wed 09 Feb 2005 08:13:18p, L, not -L wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I agree about the influences. The building the STL M&E occupies is an
>>> historic building that was "saved" by conversion. It's the old Fur
>>> Exchange building, in a scenic location near the Mississippi, with a
>>> "mall" (the park kind, not shopping) and river view. A cafeteria had
>>> been in the location for years and this food is a definite step up
>>> from that.
>>>
>>> There are much better places to eat nearby, but at much higher cost.
>>> There are also much worse places to eat. I worked in downtown STL for
>>> 30 years and may have been happy with their food simply because it was
>>> not the same stuff I'd been eating for the past 30 years<grin>.
>>>
>>> For burgers in downtown STL, I'll go to Dooley's Irish Pub - and soon,
>>> now that I'm thinking about it
>>>

>> One of the two best cafeterias I ever ate in was in STL, called Miss
>> Hulling's. The other was Britling's in Memphis. Both back in the
>> 1950s.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> AFAIK, Miss Hulling's is still going strong in the downtown area. I used
> to eat there often when I lived in the city. Their cakes and pies are
> excellent at dessert time. I am not sure if there are other Miss
> Hulling's restaurants in St. Louis besides the downtown store. I used to
> go to Alfred Solomon's in Memphis. I think it closed a few years ago.
>
> Michael

I could be wrong, but I was told by a native STLsian that the original Miss
Hulling's closed years ago, then was opened again by different owners. The
original opened in the early 1940s. We lived there from 1948 to 1956. I
don't remember Alfred Solomon's in Memphis, but Britling's closed years
ago.

Wayne

L, not -L

On 10-Feb-2005, Dog3 > wrote:

> AFAIK, Miss Hulling's is still going strong in the downtown area. I used
> eat there often when I lived in the city. Their cakes and pies are
> excellent at dessert time. I am not sure if there are other Miss Hulling's
>
> restaurants in St. Louis besides the downtown store. I used to go to
> Alfred
> Solomon's in Memphis. I think it closed a few years ago.

The downtown Miss Hulling's closed 10 or 12 years ago; the other STL area
locations had closed long before that. It was very sad, in its last few
years; they had the same excellent, reasonably priced food, served by many
of the same staff that had been there for years (and were in their 70s and
80s). But, instead of being full of happy diners, there were few customers.

Some of the Hulling's family members have restaurants around town; but, Miss
Hulling's as we knew and loved it is long gone.

PS: Very little is "going strong" in downtown STL these days; there are
areas of downtown that are desolate. But, the garment district on the north
side of downtown is booming, now that the old buildings have been converted
to lofts.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 07:28:45a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 01:49:01a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
>>> :

>>> AFAIK, Miss Hulling's is still going strong in the downtown area. I
>>> used to eat there often when I lived in the city. Their cakes and
>>> pies are excellent at dessert time. I am not sure if there are other
>>> Miss Hulling's restaurants in St. Louis besides the downtown store. I
>>> used to go to Alfred Solomon's in Memphis. I think it closed a few
>>> years ago.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> I could be wrong, but I was told by a native STLsian that the original
>> Miss Hulling's closed years ago, then was opened again by different
>> owners. The original opened in the early 1940s. We lived there from
>> 1948 to 1956. I don't remember Alfred Solomon's in Memphis, but
>> Britling's closed years ago.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> This is where I used to live. Some of those restaurants are/were owned
> by friends of mine. I also have friends that own art galleries and
> restaurants in the Washington Street area right in downtown St. Louis.
>
> http://www.bitestl.com/centwend.htm
>
> I can not seem to find any info on Miss Hulling's downtown. I don't know
> if it is still open. I'll research some more on it.
>
> Michael

Thanks, Michael. Interesting... When I was a little kid, we lived in
Clayton and then in Creve Coeur. My parents used to take me to Medart's in
Clayton.
http://www.cheshirelodge.com/AboutCh.htm

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 08:20:54a, L, not -L wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> Subject: Boston Market - Max & Erma
> From: "L, not -L" >
>

> On 10-Feb-2005, Dog3 > wrote:
>
>> AFAIK, Miss Hulling's is still going strong in the downtown area. I
>> used to eat there often when I lived in the city. Their cakes and pies
>> are excellent at dessert time. I am not sure if there are other Miss
>> Hulling's
>>
>> restaurants in St. Louis besides the downtown store. I used to go to
>> Alfred
>> Solomon's in Memphis. I think it closed a few years ago.

> The downtown Miss Hulling's closed 10 or 12 years ago; the other STL
> area locations had closed long before that. It was very sad, in its
> last few years; they had the same excellent, reasonably priced food,
> served by many of the same staff that had been there for years (and were
> in their 70s and 80s). But, instead of being full of happy diners,
> there were few customers.
>
> Some of the Hulling's family members have restaurants around town; but,
> Miss Hulling's as we knew and loved it is long gone.
>
> PS: Very little is "going strong" in downtown STL these days; there are
> areas of downtown that are desolate. But, the garment district on the
> north side of downtown is booming, now that the old buildings have been
> converted to lofts.

Thanks for the update! I have fond memories of going to Miss Hulling's
when my mother would take me for a day's shopping trip downtown. That was
an era when many women "dressed" to go shopping, replete with fashionable
hat, fur coat, and gloves. Our usual tour was Scruggs, Vandervoort, and
Barney; Stix, Baer, and Fuller; and Famous-Barr, sometimes also stopping at
Vandervoort's. At some point we would stop at Miss Hulling's for a lunch
break.

Wayne
Ruddell

In > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Thanks for the update! I have fond memories of going to Miss
> Hulling's when my mother would take me for a day's shopping trip
> downtown. That was an era when many women "dressed" to go shopping,
> replete with fashionable hat, fur coat, and gloves. Our usual tour
> was Scruggs, Vandervoort, and Barney; Stix, Baer, and Fuller; and
> Famous-Barr, sometimes also stopping at Vandervoort's. At some point
> we would stop at Miss Hulling's for a lunch break.

You managed to hit all those shops and find time for a lunch break! Wow,
that's not a shopping trip, that's an expedition...

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 12:31:23p, Ruddell wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the update! I have fond memories of going to Miss
>> Hulling's when my mother would take me for a day's shopping trip
>> downtown. That was an era when many women "dressed" to go shopping,
>> replete with fashionable hat, fur coat, and gloves. Our usual tour
>> was Scruggs, Vandervoort, and Barney; Stix, Baer, and Fuller; and
>> Famous-Barr, sometimes also stopping at Vandervoort's. At some point
>> we would stop at Miss Hulling's for a lunch break.

> You managed to hit all those shops and find time for a lunch break! Wow,
> that's not a shopping trip, that's an expedition...

LOL! Mother was a voracious shopper and it took an entire day.

Wayne
ggg

Ruddell wrote:

> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> different of course.
>
> Anyone got a rating on BM?

It seems to be popular with senior citizens. I think the food looks
better than it tastes and both the meat and the sides have a metallic
chemical butter taste. It's really weird.

Arri London

Ruddell wrote:

> In > Arri London wrote:
> >

> > Ruddell wrote:
> >>
> >> I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
> >> Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
> >> different of course.
> >>
> >> Anyone got a rating on BM?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Dennis

> > If you like greasy salty chicken then it's the place to go LOL!
> > Somewhat overpriced 'midwestern home style' cooking.

> Yeah, well it sure looks good on tv...lol.

Food stylists apparently get paid vast sums of money to make the
inedible look delicious!
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Feb 2005 04:02:08p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Thu 10 Feb 2005 08:20:54a, L, not -L wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>>> Subject: Boston Market - Max & Erma
>>> From: "L, not -L" >

>>> The downtown Miss Hulling's closed 10 or 12 years ago; the other STL
>>> area locations had closed long before that. It was very sad, in its
>>> last few years; they had the same excellent, reasonably priced food,
>>> served by many of the same staff that had been there for years (and
>>> were in their 70s and 80s). But, instead of being full of happy
>>> diners, there were few customers.
>>>
>>> Some of the Hulling's family members have restaurants around town;
>>> but, Miss Hulling's as we knew and loved it is long gone.
>>>
>>> PS: Very little is "going strong" in downtown STL these days; there
>>> are areas of downtown that are desolate. But, the garment district
>>> on the north side of downtown is booming, now that the old buildings
>>> have been converted to lofts.

>> Thanks for the update! I have fond memories of going to Miss
>> Hulling's when my mother would take me for a day's shopping trip
>> downtown. That was an era when many women "dressed" to go shopping,
>> replete with fashionable hat, fur coat, and gloves. Our usual tour
>> was Scruggs, Vandervoort, and Barney; Stix, Baer, and Fuller; and
>> Famous-Barr, sometimes also stopping at Vandervoort's. At some point
>> we would stop at Miss Hulling's for a lunch break.
>>
>> Wayne

> Gawd, makes me tired reading it Wayne. How did you 2 manage all that
> running around?
>
> One of my fondest memories is of Schneidhorst on Lindburg. It is a
> German
> restaurnt directly across the street from Plaza Frontenac. A group of us
> went to Schneidhorst for a long, leisurly Christmas lunch and we were
> going to finish our shopping up at Plaza Frontenac. We were all
> completely slammed when we got to the shopping mall. I had one gift to
> buy, for my 3 year old niece. I was in this toy store (privately owned,
> not a chain and closed years ago)and saw this beautiful white carousel
> horse. It had rails like a rocking chair and the thing rocked back and
> forth. It was hand painted and it was incredible. I had it delivered.
> Well, around the first week of Feb. I got my AMEX statement. The horse
> was $2500 + shipping and handling. In my drunken state, I thought it
> was $250. Methinks it was a good investment though. She rode it
> constantly and still has it. The horse is all wrapped up and stored in a
> dry place at home. Her first born will also love it.
>
> Michael

OMG, Michael! Remind me to tell you not to drink when you shop! I bet
that's one beautiful horse!

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

:

> <snipped>
>>
>>When I was a child my parents would bring us down and we always stayed
>>at the Cheshire. The rooms have really gone downhill since then but the
>>bars are still about the same. When I became legal I drank many a 'yard'
>>there. Now that I live here, I seldom go ;(
>>
>>Michael

> We spent our wedding night at the Cheshire but that was back in 1976.
>
> I remember when I was a child my mother would take me on a bus to meet
> the streetcar and we would go to Wellston to shop for a day. Way back
> then it was the place to shop. :-)
>
> I went to elementary school at Marvin Elementary School and went to
> Pattonville High School but I graduated in 1969. I remember when they
> started clearing the area for Northwest Plaza. That was a long time
> ago.
>
> Would anyone be able to tell me hoe Bridgeton is these days since the
> airport bought so much land? We now RV full time and haven't been back
> to Missouri for close to 10 years now, living and then just spending
> most of our time in the southwest. We are hoping to get back to the
> state within the next year or so. I sure do miss White Castles and
> Steak & Shake. :-)
>
> GQ

My memory probably preceeds yours, as I graduated highschool in 1963, but
not in St. Louis, as we moved from there in 1956 when I was 10. What I
remember was Medart's Restaurant which preceeded The Cheshire Inn on that
site. We moved away before Medart's closed. I remember White Tower
restaurant, which my parents preferred going to over White Castle,
although I think they were probably very much alike. I also remember many
visits to the Steak & Shake in Clayton, their onion rings and fried shrimp
baskets being my favorite. I don't know if any of the S&S restaurants
still serve shrimp, but I doubt it. Can't help you much on present day
St. Louis, as I've only been back a few times and not too recently.

Wayne
Dave Smith

Dog3 wrote:

> slammed when we got to the shopping mall. I had one gift to buy, for my 3
> year old niece. I was in this toy store (privately owned, not a chain and
> closed years ago)and saw this beautiful white carousel horse. It had rails
> like a rocking chair and the thing rocked back and forth. It was hand
> painted and it was incredible. I had it delivered. Well, around the first
> week of Feb. I got my AMEX statement. The horse was $2500 + shipping and
> handling. In my drunken state, I thought it was $250. Methinks it was a
> good investment though. She rode it constantly and still has it. The horse
> is all wrapped up and stored in a dry place at home. Her first born will
> also love it.

You don't have to be drunk to misread a price tag, but being relatively sober
might help you realize the error before you sign for it. I once drove my wife
almost 100 miles to buy a nice fur coat because it seemed like such a good
deal. It was a gorgeous coyote jacket and I was amazed that it was only $450.
I looked in some other places and their coyote coats were quite a bit more. So
off we went to see if the store still had the coat. When I got there I saw the
extra 0 on the price tag, $4,500, not $450.

It was just a few months later when we we visiting some friends on the west
coast. We stopped to buy some wine.Wine prices can vary a lot from one place to
another, so when I saw Poully Fusse for $4.95 I grabbed four bottles. I had a
big oops at the checkout, $49.50. I put them back and got something a little
more affordable.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 11 Feb 2005 08:27:24a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>>> Graphic Queen
>>> I went to elementary school at Marvin Elementary School and went to
>>> Pattonville High School but I graduated in 1969. I remember when they
>>> started clearing the area for Northwest Plaza. That was a long time
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> Would anyone be able to tell me hoe Bridgeton is these days since the
>>> airport bought so much land? We now RV full time and haven't been
>>> back to Missouri for close to 10 years now, living and then just
>>> spending most of our time in the southwest. We are hoping to get back
>>> to the state within the next year or so. I sure do miss White Castles
>>> and Steak & Shake. :-)
>>>
>>> GQ
>>>

>> My memory probably preceeds yours, as I graduated highschool in 1963,
>> but not in St. Louis, as we moved from there in 1956 when I was 10.
>> What I remember was Medart's Restaurant which preceeded The Cheshire
>> Inn on that site. We moved away before Medart's closed. I remember
>> White Tower restaurant, which my parents preferred going to over White
>> Castle, although I think they were probably very much alike. I also
>> remember many visits to the Steak & Shake in Clayton, their onion
>> rings and fried shrimp baskets being my favorite. I don't know if any
>> of the S&S restaurants still serve shrimp, but I doubt it. Can't help
>> you much on present day St. Louis, as I've only been back a few times
>> and not too recently.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> You both must remember the Parkmoor then. My favorite Denny's type of
> restaurant only privately owned. It closed a few years ago. Walgreen's is
> putting up a new building on the property. I miss it.
>
> Michael

Indeed I do, but had actually forgotten it until you mentioned the name.
IIRC, the Parkmoor was a cut above a Denny's back in the day. But then, I
had a child's mind at the time.

Wayne

L, not -L

On 11-Feb-2005, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> > You both must remember the Parkmoor then. My favorite Denny's type of
> > restaurant only privately owned. It closed a few years ago. Walgreen's
> > is
> > putting up a new building on the property. I miss it.
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Indeed I do, but had actually forgotten it until you mentioned the name.
> IIRC, the Parkmoor was a cut above a Denny's back in the day. But then, I
>
> had a child's mind at the time.
>
> Wayne

mmmmmmm; King burger
mmmmmmm, grilled cheese; they had the flattest, widest grilled cheese in the
world. IIR, they used a bacon press on it while it grilled.

The Parkmoor at Lindberg (Kirkwood Rd.) and Manchester was one of my
favorite places; the building still stands but has morphed into a used car
sales office.
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 11 Feb 2005 02:31:05p, L, not -L wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 11-Feb-2005, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> > You both must remember the Parkmoor then. My favorite Denny's type of
>> > restaurant only privately owned. It closed a few years ago.
>> > Walgreen's is putting up a new building on the property. I miss it.
>> >
>> > Michael
>> >

>> Indeed I do, but had actually forgotten it until you mentioned the
>> name. IIRC, the Parkmoor was a cut above a Denny's back in the day.
>> But then, I
>>
>> had a child's mind at the time.
>>
>> Wayne

> mmmmmmm; King burger
> mmmmmmm, grilled cheese; they had the flattest, widest grilled cheese in
> the world. IIR, they used a bacon press on it while it grilled.
>
> The Parkmoor at Lindberg (Kirkwood Rd.) and Manchester was one of my
> favorite places; the building still stands but has morphed into a used
> car sales office.

What a sad demise. I sometimes think of coming back to St. Louis for a
visit, but I think I would find it much too sad to find most of what I
remember either gone or in ruin. What new things they may have added would
have no meaning to me.

As I was growing up we moved several times to different states, spending
longer and more favored times in some cities than in others. Years later,
as an adult, I drove to one of my more favored cities and wanted to see the
house where we had lived. Imagine my dismay when not only our house was
gone, but the entire block had been razed to provide space for an office
highrise. Mind you, this was deep in the suburbs and totally unexpected.

Wayne
L, not -L

On 11-Feb-2005, Graphic Queen > wrote:

> OK, I just had a brain fart here. There was a burger place on the Rock
> Road not far from Brown Road and it was the last of it's kind and they
> used to have small car shows, the old cars...more muscle cars of the
> 50s and 60s. It was a great. Oooohhhhhh It was Chuck-A-Burger. Are
> they still there.
>
> GQ

Still there and still pretty popular. There are regular "meets" there; PT
Cruisers club meets there occasionally, a hotrod club or two. On spring or
summer Saturdays it becomes a time machine
Wayne Boatwright

:

>>>My memory probably preceeds yours, as I graduated highschool in 1963,
>>>but not in St. Louis, as we moved from there in 1956 when I was 10.
>>>What I remember was Medart's Restaurant which preceeded The Cheshire
>>>Inn on that site. We moved away before Medart's closed. I remember
>>>White Tower restaurant, which my parents preferred going to over White
>>>Castle, although I think they were probably very much alike. I also
>>>remember many visits to the Steak & Shake in Clayton, their onion
>>>rings and fried shrimp baskets being my favorite. I don't know if any
>>>of the S&S restaurants still serve shrimp, but I doubt it. Can't help
>>>you much on present day St. Louis, as I've only been back a few times
>>>and not too recently.
>>>
>>>Wayne

>> My favorite of Steak & Shake has and always will be the Chile Mac. I
>> totally miss that and I love their hot fudge sundaes. But then of
>> course one of the places I must visit when we come for a vist is Ted
>> Drews. Yummmmmmmmmm!! I can taste it now! ;-) Yeah, the White Tower
>> was a lot like White Castle. hehehehehe Whe I was in high school we
>> used to all go to Steak & Shake at Lindberg and Fee Fee and then after
>> we had ordered one of us would run right across the street to the
>> McDonalds and get the fries we needed. ;-) Steak & Shake kept telling
>> us all of the time that they were going to stop serving us if we
>> didn't stop it but of course they never did and neither did we. Used
>> to love being able to stay in your car to eat. And does anyone
>> remember the Four-Screen Drive-In that used to be on the Rock Road in
>> St. Ann? I did a lot of making out at that place. LOLOLOLOL ;-) And of
>> course there was the Airway Drive-In also. At one time there was a
>> Shakey's Pizza Parlor in St. Ann on the Rock Road, but it didn't last
>> that long.
>>
>> OK, I just had a brain fart here. There was a burger place on the Rock
>> Road not far from Brown Road and it was the last of it's kind and they
>> used to have small car shows, the old cars...more muscle cars of the
>> 50s and 60s. It was a great. Oooohhhhhh It was Chuck-A-Burger. Are
>> they still there.
>>
>> GQ
>>

> I live in Glendale, smack in the middle of Kirkwood, Webster and Ladue.
> Manchester is only a short couple of blocks from my house. On the corner
> is Steak n' Shake. I do carry out from there often I like almost the
> entire menu. Then we have Al's Diner. A greasy spoon with burgers to die
> for and the most delicious, greasy chili you will ever taste. There are
> dozens of places in Kirkwood and Webster with decent food but most
> likely before your and Wayne's time.
>
> Michael

No, Michael, most likely "after" our time. We moved away from St. Louis in
1956. There was a Steak N Shake in Clayton at that time, but I don't
remember the exact location.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 12 Feb 2005 09:25:16a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>> No, Michael, most likely "after" our time. We moved away from St.
>> Louis in 1956. There was a Steak N Shake in Clayton at that time, but
>> I don't remember the exact location.
>>
>> Wayne

> Sorry, meant after your time. There is a second Steak n' Shake on
> Manchester. I'm not sure if it is considered Clayton or Brentwood.
> Naturally there is my once a year snack White Castle around the corner. I
> can not recall a SNS in downtown Clayton. Hmmm...
>
> Michael

Could have been on Manchester. I know it wasn't in downtown Clayton. The
particular restaurant would be rather old by now though, more than 50 years,
so it may have been replaced. LOL, I can even remember the booth we usually
sat in.

Wayne

L, not -L

On 12-Feb-2005, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Could have been on Manchester. I know it wasn't in downtown Clayton. The
>
> particular restaurant would be rather old by now though, more than 50
> years,
> so it may have been replaced. LOL, I can even remember the booth we
> usually
> sat in.

Probably on Brentwood Blvd., just between Clayton Rd. and Manchester. The
current one is a newer building but they did a lot of "in-place" building
replacement when they eliminated curb service and went to indoor dining.

The one near Dog3 is the only Steak'nShake I can recall that still uses the
same building they did when there was curb service; they just added a small
dining area to it many years ago.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 12 Feb 2005 09:47:50a, L, not -L wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 12-Feb-2005, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Could have been on Manchester. I know it wasn't in downtown Clayton.
>> The
>>
>> particular restaurant would be rather old by now though, more than 50
>> years, so it may have been replaced. LOL, I can even remember the
>> booth we usually sat in.

> Probably on Brentwood Blvd., just between Clayton Rd. and Manchester.
> The current one is a newer building but they did a lot of "in-place"
> building replacement when they eliminated curb service and went to
> indoor dining.

That could have been the location. IIRC, it wasn't too far a driving
distance from the Hi Point Theater on Clayton Road.

Wayne
Blair P. Houghton

Ruddell > wrote:

>I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
>Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
>different of course.
>
>Anyone got a rating on BM?

You picked the right acronym.

--Blair
"Nuff sed."
Nancy Young

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> Ruddell > wrote:
>>
>>I keep seeing these commercials on cable tv but we don't have Boston
>>Market in Saskatchewan. They look sort of like Swiss Chalet but
>>different of course.
>>
>>Anyone got a rating on BM?

> You picked the right acronym.

I can't believe it took so long, I've been watching and waiting
for someone to come up with that.

nancy

Vox Humana

wrote:

> Wow, I'm catching up on this thread and you are mentioning so many
> restaurants that I went to when I was in my teens and 20's. The Firehouse
> (remember the pole in the middle of the eating area?), Max & Irma's, the
> Kahiki (very cool rainstorm effects and a large Tiki god that I think
> spouted fire), the Wine Cellar (it was THE place to take a date on Prom
> night!), Brown Derby, Jai Lai...not sure how many of these are left. I
> know the Wine Cellar, Kahiki, Brown Derby, and Jai Lai are gone.
>
> I think Columbus also had a Playboy Key Club, but I could be mistaken.

The Playboy Club was in Cincinnati. Hard to imagine considering that Cinci
is much more conservative and home to some strange right-wing nut cases. I
remember visiting the PB club around 1977 when a group of the guys from
school drove down from Columbus. The crowning event was one guy threw up in
the elevator as we were leaving!

I do remember the pole at Engine House #5. If you recall, the ceiling in
the basement (at "The Spot") had these trampoline-like fire nets with bull's
eyes painted on them suspended from the ceiling. I was just remembering how
the sommeliers at the wine cellar were dress like monks in brown, hooded
robes.

Rusty

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:26:35 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>The Playboy Club was in Cincinnati. Hard to imagine considering that Cinci
>is much more conservative and home to some strange right-wing nut cases.

Cincinnati also elected Jerry Springer to the city council in 1971.

Rusty

Vox Humana

"Rusty" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:26:35 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> >The Playboy Club was in Cincinnati. Hard to imagine considering that

Cinci
> >is much more conservative and home to some strange right-wing nut cases.

> Cincinnati also elected Jerry Springer to the city council in 1971.

Not my fault. I lived in Columbus in 1971.