Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White Castle for Dinner! 2/19/21

On 2/28/2021 1:43 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent
> > wrote:

>>> I usually add Kikkoman soy sauce, I have no worstershire, I can't
>>> stand the taste.

>> Adding soy sauce to beef is TIAD.

> There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.

Are we allowed to call them Orientals? I thought no more Chinks, Japs,
and Gooks, now they are all Asians.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message ...

On 2/28/2021 2:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 10:08:25 AM UTC-10, Transition Zone
> wrote:

>>> It's a somewhat salty taste but it's not salty. Browning re-hydrated
>>> onions in a White Castle burger

>> I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce
>> too, but I can't figure out where.

> Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle burgers
> reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
>
> ===
>
> I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of
> the
> things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
> how))

how to use it: sparingly.

===

With what?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 9:11:34 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 2/28/2021 2:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 10:08:25 AM UTC-10, Transition Zone
> > wrote:

> >> I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce
> >> too, but I can't figure out where.

> > Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle
> > burgers
> > reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
> > things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
> > how))
> >

> how to use it: sparingly.

It's worth mentioning that fish sauce smells pretty bad, but if you use just
a touch, it adds a depth of flavor.

Italian cuisine uses anchovies for a similar effect; a few mashed up in a
pasta sauce adds a certain ineffable something.

Cindy Hamilton

===

Ahhh, I understand! Thank you!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 1:43:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 5:21:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> > On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > He talked about 'potato buns' ?

> > Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> > them very tender.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > ===
> >
> > Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

> Sure. There are recipes all over the net, or perhaps one of the bakers
> here can provide a reliable recipe. You might have difficulty sourcing
> potato starch, although I've done it (not for baking) by grating potatoes,
> soaking them in water and letting the starch settle to the bottom.
>
> I seem to recall there are recipes for using mashed potato, as well.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> ====
>
> I'll do a search! Do you like them? Do they taste of potato?
>
> Hey Stu!! Where are you?? ))

I've made Portuguese sweet bread AKA, Hawaiian sweet bread, with potato.
I've used a boiled potato but it's just easier to use mashed potato flakes.
That works fine. Mostly, making this bread by starting with a boiled potato
is an old school thing to do.

====

Please share the recipe???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 11:30:55 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 2:18:21 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> > De gustibus.
>> >
>> > I don't like sauces very much. When I stir-fry, I often give the meat
>> > (beef, pork, or chicken) a half-hour soak in soy sauce, ginger, garlic,
>> > sesame oil, and cornstarch.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> That's a sauce. That is fine, it give an Asian flavor. Just soy with
>> beef - TIAD.

>If that's the case, then soy sauce on beef is a sauce.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Every Chinese restaurant I've been to lists dishes on their menu
according to which meat it contains, including beef... most all beef
recipes contain soy sauce and none contain worstershire.... in fact
most every dish contains soy sauce and it's always on the table...
I've never seen worstershire sauce on the table at any Chinese
restaurant, not anywhere on the planet. I doubt any Chinese can
pronounce worstershire... most round eyes can't pronounce
WoLstLeshiLe... I've never yet met a Chink who didn't say "you want
fly lice with that? LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 15:03:11 -0500, Heywood > wrote:

>On 2/28/2021 1:43 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent
>> > wrote:

>>> Adding soy sauce to beef is TIAD.

>> There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.
>>

>Are we allowed to call them Orientals? I thought no more Chinks, Japs,
> and Gooks, now they are all Asians.

Sheldon lives around 1964.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:03:16 AM UTC-10, Heywood wrote:
> On 2/28/2021 1:43 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent
> > > wrote:

> >> Adding soy sauce to beef is TIAD.

> > There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.
> >

> Are we allowed to call them Orientals? I thought no more Chinks, Japs,
> and Gooks, now they are all Asians.

Yes! Yoose are allowed to use these racial slurs. In fact, it's important to continue to use these terms so we're able to identify yoose guys. Just remember to use them under your real name instead of some chicken shit alias. That's just cowardly - greg! Jesus doesn't like cowards.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:14:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 1:43:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> > On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 5:21:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> > > Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> > > them very tender.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

> > Sure. There are recipes all over the net, or perhaps one of the bakers
> > here can provide a reliable recipe. You might have difficulty sourcing
> > potato starch, although I've done it (not for baking) by grating potatoes,
> > soaking them in water and letting the starch settle to the bottom.
> >
> > I seem to recall there are recipes for using mashed potato, as well.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > ====
> >
> > I'll do a search! Do you like them? Do they taste of potato?
> >
> > Hey Stu!! Where are you?? ))

> I've made Portuguese sweet bread AKA, Hawaiian sweet bread, with potato.
> I've used a boiled potato but it's just easier to use mashed potato flakes.
> That works fine. Mostly, making this bread by starting with a boiled potato
> is an old school thing to do.
> ====
>
> Please share the recipe???

I just winged it and never used a recipe. OTOH, here's a link to give you some idea of the proportions. The important part is to remember that the dough is a soft, sticky, one. Don't use ginger in this. That's just crazy. Do use lemon zest to give it a faint lemony hint. I like to use yellow food coloring to get a nice yellow cast. You could probably use a little turmeric if you want to be more natural-like.
https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/b...eet-bread.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2021 9:35 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 9:11:34 AM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle burgers
>>> reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
>>> things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
>>> how))
>>>

> It's worth mentioning that fish sauce smells pretty bad, but if you use just
> a touch, it adds a depth of flavor.
>
> Italian cuisine uses anchovies for a similar effect; a few mashed up in a
> pasta sauce adds a certain ineffable something.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The only comparison I can ascertain between Worcestershire and Asian
fish sauce is that Worcestershire does contain a small amount of
anchovies. Worcestershire does not in any way, shape or form taste or
smell like Asian "fish sauce". It should, however, be used sparingly if
you aren't sure how it might affect the overall taste of your food. And
yes, sometimes it should be ineffable. Just a hint adds unami.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2021 7:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:03:16 AM UTC-10, Heywood wrote:
>> On 2/28/2021 1:43 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent

>>> There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.
>>>

>> Are we allowed to call them Orientals? I thought no more Chinks, Japs,
>> and Gooks, now they are all Asians.

> Yes! Yoose are allowed to use these racial slurs. In fact, it's important to continue to use these terms so we're able to identify yoose guys. Just remember to use them under your real name instead of some chicken shit alias. That's just cowardly - greg! Jesus doesn't like cowards.

I did post under my own name, I'm not Greg
Lern to reed inglish u dummee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 12:24:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 10:08:25 AM UTC-10, Transition Zone wrote:

> > > It's a somewhat salty taste but it's not salty. Browning re-hydrated
> > > onions in a White Castle burger

> > I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce
> > too, but I can't figure out where.

> Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle burgers
> reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
> ===
>
> I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
> things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
> how))

Worcestershire sauce is certainly a unique sauce. It's strange to think that the Brits would like the stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ns_U9IbFU&t=212
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 10:14:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 1:43:58 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> > On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 5:21:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> > > Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> > > them very tender.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > > ===
> > >
> > > Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

> > Sure. There are recipes all over the net, or perhaps one of the bakers
> > here can provide a reliable recipe. You might have difficulty sourcing
> > potato starch, although I've done it (not for baking) by grating
> > potatoes,
> > soaking them in water and letting the starch settle to the bottom.
> >
> > I seem to recall there are recipes for using mashed potato, as well.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> > ====
> >
> > I'll do a search! Do you like them? Do they taste of potato?
> >
> > Hey Stu!! Where are you?? ))

> I've made Portuguese sweet bread AKA, Hawaiian sweet bread, with potato.
> I've used a boiled potato but it's just easier to use mashed potato
> flakes.
> That works fine. Mostly, making this bread by starting with a boiled
> potato
> is an old school thing to do.
> ====
>
> Please share the recipe???

I just winged it and never used a recipe. OTOH, here's a link to give you
some idea of the proportions. The important part is to remember that the
dough is a soft, sticky, one. Don't use ginger in this. That's just crazy.
Do use lemon zest to give it a faint lemony hint. I like to use yellow food
coloring to get a nice yellow cast. You could probably use a little turmeric
if you want to be more natural-like.
https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/b...eet-bread.html

====

Thanks very much I will save that. I think you know me well enough by
now to know I will use neither ginger or turmeric LOL

Thanks very much!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 12:24:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 10:08:25 AM UTC-10, Transition Zone
> wrote:

> > > It's a somewhat salty taste but it's not salty. Browning re-hydrated
> > > onions in a White Castle burger

> > I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce
> > too, but I can't figure out where.

> Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle burgers
> reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
> ===
>
> I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
> things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
> how))

Worcestershire sauce is certainly a unique sauce. It's strange to think that
the Brits would like the stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ns_U9IbFU&t=212

====

Is it like 'wuster' sauce then (as we say) ))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 3:19:34 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 11:30:55 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> That's a sauce. That is fine, it give an Asian flavor. Just soy with
> >> beef - TIAD.

> >If that's the case, then soy sauce on beef is a sauce.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Every Chinese restaurant I've been to lists dishes on their menu
> according to which meat it contains, including beef... most all beef
> recipes contain soy sauce and none contain worstershire.... in fact
> most every dish contains soy sauce and it's always on the table...
> I've never seen worstershire sauce on the table at any Chinese
> restaurant, not anywhere on the planet. I doubt any Chinese can
> pronounce worstershire... most round eyes can't pronounce
> WoLstLeshiLe... I've never yet met a Chink who didn't say "you want
> fly lice with that? LOL

Even if they can't pronounce Worcestershire, perhaps they can at least spell it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 4:42:47 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 12:24:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> > On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 10:08:25 AM UTC-10, Transition Zone
> > wrote:

> > > I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce
> > > too, but I can't figure out where.

> > Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle burgers
> > reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
> > ===
> >
> > I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
> > things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
> > how))

> Worcestershire sauce is certainly a unique sauce. It's strange to think that
> the Brits would like the stuff.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ns_U9IbFU&t=212
> ====
>
> Is it like 'wuster' sauce then (as we say) ))))

Didn't you buy a bottle of fish sauce? Open it up and give it a smell.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 7:30:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On 2/28/2021 9:35 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > It's worth mentioning that fish sauce smells pretty bad, but if you use just
> > a touch, it adds a depth of flavor.
> >
> > Italian cuisine uses anchovies for a similar effect; a few mashed up in a
> > pasta sauce adds a certain ineffable something.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> The only comparison I can ascertain between Worcestershire and Asian
> fish sauce is that Worcestershire does contain a small amount of
> anchovies.

Anchovies on pizza is great, especially with mushrooms and peppers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2021 2:07 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
> On 2/28/2021 10:43 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:57:09 -0800, Taxed and Spent
>> > wrote:

>>> Adding soy sauce to beef is TIAD.

>> There are millions of Orientals who will argue with you.
>>

> It is good with a sauce, if you want an Asian flavor. Putting it on
> beef alone is TIAD.

I always add a little worcestershire sauce to beef.

As far as soy sauce and all the other asian sauces, they tend to be
better in a combination of a few.

Last week when I had a bit of plain rice, I put a tsp of plain oyster
sauce on the side to see what it tasted like all by itself. By itself,
it tasted pretty nasty but yet it's a good flavor to add to a
combination of other flavors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2021 5:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> He talked about 'potato buns' ?

> Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> them very tender.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ===
>
> Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

Of course you can make your own but you should maybe try them before you
go to all the trouble...and maybe having to try several recipes before
you find a good one.

Martin's Potato Rolls are to die for. Try a package of those first. If
you like them and insist on making your own, good luck with that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2021 5:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote:
> Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle
> burgers reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
>
> ===
>
> I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of
> the things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't
> know how))

<SPLAT>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2021 4:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote
> Worcestershire sauce is certainly a unique sauce. It's strange to think
> that the Brits would like the stuff.
> ====
>
> Is it like 'wuster' sauce then (as we say) )))

DOH!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bruce bowser wrote:
> Anchovies on pizza is great, especially with mushrooms and peppers.

That's a funny comment to me. I've only had anchovies once in my life.
It was back in 1974 when my roommate and I used to eat often at a local
family italian restaurant.

I had heard the old phrase, "Hold the anchovies" but never tried them.
I didn't even know what an anchovie was.

One day, I ordered a pizza with anchovies. The waitress said, "You don't
want anchovies on that." I said, "Yes, I do."

Well she argued with me a bit more then gave up and went and had a pizza
with anchovies made for me.

I took one bite and didn't like that at all. So I picked off all the
anchovies but it was too late...the anchovie oil had already flavored
the darn pizza and ruined it. She was right after all.

Now, 40 some years later, I've never tried anchovies since that day. I
need to buy a can and see what I think now. Who knows, I might like them
now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 12:02:17 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> bruce bowser wrote:
>> Anchovies on pizza is great, especially with mushrooms and peppers.

>That's a funny comment to me. I've only had anchovies once in my life.
>It was back in 1974 when my roommate and I used to eat often at a local
>family italian restaurant.
>
>I had heard the old phrase, "Hold the anchovies" but never tried them.
>I didn't even know what an anchovie was.
>
>One day, I ordered a pizza with anchovies. The waitress said, "You don't
>want anchovies on that." I said, "Yes, I do."
>
>Well she argued with me a bit more then gave up and went and had a pizza
>with anchovies made for me.
>
>I took one bite and didn't like that at all. So I picked off all the
>anchovies but it was too late...the anchovie oil had already flavored
>the darn pizza and ruined it. She was right after all.
>
>Now, 40 some years later, I've never tried anchovies since that day. I
>need to buy a can and see what I think now. Who knows, I might like them
>now.

I can have a few on their own. I luvvem. But if you're on the fence,
don't have too much in one bite or you might feel salt smacked.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 7:03:05 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> bruce bowser wrote:
> > Anchovies on pizza is great, especially with mushrooms and peppers.

> That's a funny comment to me. I've only had anchovies once in my life.
> It was back in 1974 when my roommate and I used to eat often at a local
> family italian restaurant.
>
> I had heard the old phrase, "Hold the anchovies" but never tried them.
> I didn't even know what an anchovie was.
>
> One day, I ordered a pizza with anchovies. The waitress said, "You don't
> want anchovies on that." I said, "Yes, I do."
>
> Well she argued with me a bit more then gave up and went and had a pizza
> with anchovies made for me.
>
> I took one bite and didn't like that at all. So I picked off all the
> anchovies but it was too late...the anchovie oil had already flavored
> the darn pizza and ruined it. She was right after all.
>
> Now, 40 some years later, I've never tried anchovies since that day. I
> need to buy a can and see what I think now. Who knows, I might like them
> now.

We had pizza and anchovies yesterday. We tried some bottled anchovies but I like the canned stuff better because it's saltier and more rancid. My bet is that you're not going to like them now - or ever. OTOH, there's no harm in trying things you might not like. You don't want to be on your deathbed thinking that maybe you should have tried anchovies. That would be awful!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 4:42:47 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 12:24:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> > On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 10:08:25 AM UTC-10, Transition Zone
> > wrote:

> > > I know at White Castle somewhere that I've tasted Worcestershire sauce
> > > too, but I can't figure out where.

> > Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle
> > burgers
> > reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
> > ===
> >
> > I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
> > things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
> > how))

> Worcestershire sauce is certainly a unique sauce. It's strange to think
> that
> the Brits would like the stuff.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ns_U9IbFU&t=212
> ====
>
> Is it like 'wuster' sauce then (as we say) ))))

Didn't you buy a bottle of fish sauce? Open it up and give it a smell.

Cindy Hamilton

=====

Yes I did Does it smell like Worcestershire sauce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

On 3/1/2021 4:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote
> Worcestershire sauce is certainly a unique sauce. It's strange to think
> that the Brits would like the stuff.
> ====
>
> Is it like 'wuster' sauce then (as we say) )))

DOH!

===

Nahhh you were perfectly correct)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 09:36:21 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 7:03:05 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> bruce bowser wrote:
>> > Anchovies on pizza is great, especially with mushrooms and peppers.

>> That's a funny comment to me. I've only had anchovies once in my life.
>> It was back in 1974 when my roommate and I used to eat often at a local
>> family italian restaurant.
>>
>> I had heard the old phrase, "Hold the anchovies" but never tried them.
>> I didn't even know what an anchovie was.
>>
>> One day, I ordered a pizza with anchovies. The waitress said, "You don't
>> want anchovies on that." I said, "Yes, I do."
>>
>> Well she argued with me a bit more then gave up and went and had a pizza
>> with anchovies made for me.
>>
>> I took one bite and didn't like that at all. So I picked off all the
>> anchovies but it was too late...the anchovie oil had already flavored
>> the darn pizza and ruined it. She was right after all.
>>
>> Now, 40 some years later, I've never tried anchovies since that day. I
>> need to buy a can and see what I think now. Who knows, I might like them
>> now.

>We had pizza and anchovies yesterday. We tried some bottled anchovies but I like the canned stuff better because it's saltier and more rancid.

Rancid? One begs your pardon!

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

On 2/28/2021 5:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> He talked about 'potato buns' ?

> Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
> them very tender.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ===
>
> Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

Of course you can make your own but you should maybe try them before you
go to all the trouble...and maybe having to try several recipes before
you find a good one.

Martin's Potato Rolls are to die for. Try a package of those first. If
you like them and insist on making your own, good luck with that.

===

I can't find any that I don't have to buy online

I think I might just give them a miss) Thanks very much

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

On 2/28/2021 5:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote:
> Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle
> burgers reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
>
> ===
>
> I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of
> the things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't
> know how))

<SPLAT>

====

<THWAP>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-03-01 11:53 a.m., Gary wrote:
> On 2/28/2021 2:07 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> It is good with a sauce, if you want an Asian flavor.Â* Putting it on
>> beef alone is TIAD.

> I always add a little worcestershire sauce to beef.

A litter Worcestershire sauce is good in a lot of things. I use it
sparingly because I have had a few incidents where I accidentally used
too much and it ruined the dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

bruce bowser wrote:
> Anchovies on pizza is great, especially with mushrooms and peppers.

That's a funny comment to me. I've only had anchovies once in my life.
It was back in 1974 when my roommate and I used to eat often at a local
family italian restaurant.

I had heard the old phrase, "Hold the anchovies" but never tried them.
I didn't even know what an anchovie was.

One day, I ordered a pizza with anchovies. The waitress said, "You don't
want anchovies on that." I said, "Yes, I do."

Well she argued with me a bit more then gave up and went and had a pizza
with anchovies made for me.

I took one bite and didn't like that at all. So I picked off all the
anchovies but it was too late...the anchovie oil had already flavored
the darn pizza and ruined it. She was right after all.

Now, 40 some years later, I've never tried anchovies since that day. I
need to buy a can and see what I think now. Who knows, I might like them
now.

====

It's true. Tastes change over they years!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 17:51:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>On 2/28/2021 5:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

>Of course you can make your own but you should maybe try them before you
>go to all the trouble...and maybe having to try several recipes before
>you find a good one.
>
>Martin's Potato Rolls are to die for. Try a package of those first. If
>you like them and insist on making your own, good luck with that.
>
>===
>
>I can't find any that I don't have to buy online
>
>I think I might just give them a miss) Thanks very much

A wise decision.

Martin's Potato Rolls:
"unbleached enriched wheat flour (flour, ferrous sulfate, niacin,
thiamin, riboflavin, folic acid), nonfat milk, reconstituted potatoes
(from potato flour), yeast, sugar, cane sugar syrup, wheat gluten,
sunflower oil, contains 2 percent or less of each of the following:
salt, butter, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate,
monoglycerides and diglycerides), monocalcium phosphate, cultured
wheat flour, calcium propionate (a preservative), guar gum, ascorbic
acid, datem, calcium sulfate, enzymes, turmeric color, annatto color,
sesame seeds."

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>On 2/28/2021 5:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>> Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

>Of course you can make your own but you should maybe try them before you
>go to all the trouble...and maybe having to try several recipes before
>you find a good one.
>
>Martin's Potato Rolls are to die for. Try a package of those first. If
>you like them and insist on making your own, good luck with that.
>
>===
>
>I can't find any that I don't have to buy online
>
>I think I might just give them a miss) Thanks very much

A wise decision.

Martin's Potato Rolls:
"unbleached enriched wheat flour (flour, ferrous sulfate, niacin,
thiamin, riboflavin, folic acid), nonfat milk, reconstituted potatoes
(from potato flour), yeast, sugar, cane sugar syrup, wheat gluten,
sunflower oil, contains 2 percent or less of each of the following:
salt, butter, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate,
monoglycerides and diglycerides), monocalcium phosphate, cultured
wheat flour, calcium propionate (a preservative), guar gum, ascorbic
acid, datem, calcium sulfate, enzymes, turmeric color, annatto color,
sesame seeds."

====

Good grief!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 7:44:40 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> Rancid? One begs your pardon!
> --
> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

You shan't be getting my pardon anytime soon.
The funny part was that I've been shunning water for the last few years. Yesterday I was thirsty for the first time in a long while. I thought I was finally over my dry spell. This morning I remembered that I had eaten a lot of anchovies and it was the salt that did it. That's too bad. Feeling thirsty felt pretty good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Water was White Castle for Dinner! 2/19/21

On 2021-03-01 1:18 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 7:44:40 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> Rancid? One begs your pardon! -- The real Bruce posts with Eternal
>> September

> You shan't be getting my pardon anytime soon. The funny part was that
> I've been shunning water for the last few years. Yesterday I was
> thirsty for the first time in a long while. I thought I was finally
> over my dry spell. This morning I remembered that I had eaten a lot
> of anchovies and it was the salt that did it. That's too bad. Feeling
> thirsty felt pretty good.

I used to drink a lot of water and other fluids. Unfortunately, I
managed to develop congestive heart failure and it turned out that my
system was not getting rid of it. I was putting on weight and getting
lung congestion. I dropped 20 pounds in 6 days in the hospital. Now I
am on fluid restriction. I am supposed to consume a minimum 1.5 l and a
maximum 2 l of fluid per day. No more going to the fridge and having a
good glug of Perrier or juice, no glass of water. I have to watch my
fluid intake and have one a small sip when I am dry and thirsty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 8:34:29 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-03-01 1:18 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 7:44:40 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> Rancid? One begs your pardon! -- The real Bruce posts with Eternal
> >> September

> > You shan't be getting my pardon anytime soon. The funny part was that
> > I've been shunning water for the last few years. Yesterday I was
> > thirsty for the first time in a long while. I thought I was finally
> > over my dry spell. This morning I remembered that I had eaten a lot
> > of anchovies and it was the salt that did it. That's too bad. Feeling
> > thirsty felt pretty good.
> >

> I used to drink a lot of water and other fluids. Unfortunately, I
> managed to develop congestive heart failure and it turned out that my
> system was not getting rid of it. I was putting on weight and getting
> lung congestion. I dropped 20 pounds in 6 days in the hospital. Now I
> am on fluid restriction. I am supposed to consume a minimum 1.5 l and a
> maximum 2 l of fluid per day. No more going to the fridge and having a
> good glug of Perrier or juice, no glass of water. I have to watch my
> fluid intake and have one a small sip when I am dry and thirsty.

My father-in-law had that. He had read a book that claimed water could cure him of all his medical problems. He placed his faith in that book and landed in the hospital with water poisoning. He treatment was no water. Hoo boy, that was like getting off of heroin for him. In my case, my dentist says I have to drink more water - my teeth are just rotting away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 18:16:19 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 17:51:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>I can't find any that I don't have to buy online
>>
>>I think I might just give them a miss) Thanks very much

>A wise decision.
>
>Martin's Potato Rolls:
>"unbleached enriched wheat flour (flour, ferrous sulfate, niacin,
>thiamin, riboflavin, folic acid), nonfat milk, reconstituted potatoes
>(from potato flour), yeast, sugar, cane sugar syrup, wheat gluten,
>sunflower oil, contains 2 percent or less of each of the following:
>salt, butter, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate,
>monoglycerides and diglycerides), monocalcium phosphate, cultured
>wheat flour, calcium propionate (a preservative), guar gum, ascorbic
>acid, datem, calcium sulfate, enzymes, turmeric color, annatto color,
>sesame seeds."
>
>====
>
>Good grief!!

If someone had all that in their house, they should be arrested.
They're probably making a bomb!

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 10:18:59 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 7:44:40 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> Rancid? One begs your pardon!
>> --
>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>You shan't be getting my pardon anytime soon.
>The funny part was that I've been shunning water for the last few years. Yesterday I was thirsty for the first time in a long while. I thought I was finally over my dry spell. This morning I remembered that I had eaten a lot of anchovies and it was the salt that did it. That's too bad. Feeling thirsty felt pretty good.

I like water. Not as much as wine, but I can't drink wine all day.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 11:53:37 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>On 2/28/2021 5:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>> On Saturday, February 27, 2021 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> He talked about 'potato buns' ?

>> Bread rolls using potato starch for some of the flour. It makes
>> them very tender.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Oh! thank you, I've never heard of that! Can I make it myself?

>Of course you can make your own but you should maybe try them before you
>go to all the trouble...and maybe having to try several recipes before
>you find a good one.
>
>Martin's Potato Rolls are to die for. Try a package of those first. If
>you like them and insist on making your own, good luck with that.

My favorites were Dugan's Bakery Boomkas, a very nice soft crusty
roll. Unfortunately there's no more Dugans, and they used to deliver
to the home. Dugans cupcakes were the best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 12:03:05 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> bruce bowser wrote:
> > Anchovies on pizza is great, especially with mushrooms and peppers.

> That's a funny comment to me. I've only had anchovies once in my life.
> It was back in 1974 when my roommate and I used to eat often at a local
> family italian restaurant.
>
> I had heard the old phrase, "Hold the anchovies" but never tried them.
> I didn't even know what an anchovie was.
>
> One day, I ordered a pizza with anchovies. The waitress said, "You don't
> want anchovies on that." I said, "Yes, I do."
>
> Well she argued with me a bit more then gave up and went and had a pizza
> with anchovies made for me.
>
> I took one bite and didn't like that at all. So I picked off all the
> anchovies but it was too late...the anchovie oil had already flavored
> the darn pizza and ruined it. She was right after all.
>
> Now, 40 some years later, I've never tried anchovies since that day. I
> need to buy a can and see what I think now. Who knows, I might like them
> now.

I like them better cold on a salad than hot on a pizza.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 12:41:03 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 4:42:47 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> > On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 12:24:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > Worcestershire sauce is a fermented product so maybe White Castle
> > > burgers
> > > reminds you of that. It's the Western version of fish sauce.
> > > ===
> > >
> > > I didn't know that. I bought a bottle when I was trying out some of the
> > > things I was learning from you lol never used it because I didn't know
> > > how))

> > Worcestershire sauce is certainly a unique sauce. It's strange to think
> > that
> > the Brits would like the stuff.
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ns_U9IbFU&t=212
> > ====
> >
> > Is it like 'wuster' sauce then (as we say) ))))

> Didn't you buy a bottle of fish sauce? Open it up and give it a smell.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> =====
>
> Yes I did Does it smell like Worcestershire sauce?

No, it does not.

Cindy Hamilton