Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White Castle for Dinner! 2/19/21

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:26:45 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >I rarely add Shoyu (aka Soy Sauce or Teriyaki sauce) to beef.

>> <pedantic>
>> Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
>> </pedantic>
>> --
>>
>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is the source of umami flavor.
>My wife says that she was raised on Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that that's the soy sauce most Koreans prefer. I bought some Korean soy sauce. My wife thought it was excellent because it tasted like Kikkoman. I asked her what she thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was inferior. Ha ha, what a disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I can't say nuttin' about that to her. I just have to eat it.

Sometimes one's wife is right.

--

The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-02-25 5:51 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is.
> Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

Price?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/25/2021 12:49 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 11:44:29 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Meat, by itself, is not rich in umami. Teriyaki beef is because
>>> it has added shoyu. A dish like
>>> spicy pork eggplant is umami rich because it has soy sauce,
>>> fermented black beans, oyster
>>> sauce, and MSG. Bacon and ham is full of umami because they're
>>> fermented/cured products.
>>> A Denver omelette is an American dish full of umami because it
>>> contains ham, cheese, and
>>> onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers
>>> aren't - unless they have cheese
>>> on it.

>> Any browned meat is rich in umami.* Why do you think steaks are
>> so popular?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

* Has nothing to do with White Castle
> frozen hamburgers.
>
> Jill

Indeed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:05:42 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> <pedantic>
> >> Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
> >> </pedantic>
> >> --
> >>
> >> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

> >Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is the source of umami flavor.
> >My wife says that she was raised on Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that that's the soy sauce most Koreans prefer. I bought some Korean soy sauce. My wife thought it was excellent because it tasted like Kikkoman. I asked her what she thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was inferior. Ha ha, what a disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I can't say nuttin' about that to her. I just have to eat it.
> >

> Sometimes one's wife is right.

> --
>
> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

She's right alright about Aloha shoyu. The rest of all y'alls is wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:12:14 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-02-25 5:51 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>

> > A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is.
> > Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?
> >

> Price?

Steaming a burger on onions results in a umami rich burger. Coincidence? I think not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 7:49:19 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Meat, by itself, is not rich in umami. Teriyaki beef is because it has added shoyu. A dish like
>>> spicy pork eggplant is umami rich because it has soy sauce, fermented black beans, oyster
>>> sauce, and MSG. Bacon and ham is full of umami because they're fermented/cured products.
>>> A Denver omelette is an American dish full of umami because it contains ham, cheese, and
>>> onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers aren't - unless they have cheese
>>> on it.

>> Any browned meat is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is. Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

On rocks, yoose can sell asians steamed turds. Provide packets of
soy sauce, and cha ching all the way to the bank.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> it, >> >>>> rather than seaweed.

> because it has added shoyu. A dish like >> >>> spicy pork eggplant is
> umami rich because it has soy sauce, fermented black beans, oyster >>

> fermented/cured products. >> >>> A Denver omelette is an American
> dish full of umami because it contains ham, cheese, and >> >>>
> onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers aren't -
> unless they have cheese >> >>> on it. >> >> >> >> Any browned meat
> is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular? >> >>

> >> <pedantic>
> >> Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
> >> </pedantic>
> >> --
> >>
> >> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

> > Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is
> > the source of umami flavor. My wife says that she was raised on
> > Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that that's the soy sauce most Koreans
> > prefer. I bought some Korean soy sauce. My wife thought it was
> > excellent because it tasted like Kikkoman. I asked her what she
> > thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was inferior. Ha ha, what a
> > disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I can't say nuttin'
> > about that to her. I just have to eat it.
> >

> Sometimes one's wife is right.

Snicker. Correct. Lets relegate it to 'comfort food he is used to' and
let it lay there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 15:18:59 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:05:42 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is the source of umami flavor.
>> >My wife says that she was raised on Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that that's the soy sauce most Koreans prefer. I bought some Korean soy sauce. My wife thought it was excellent because it tasted like Kikkoman. I asked her what she thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was inferior. Ha ha, what a disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I can't say nuttin' about that to her. I just have to eat it.
>> >

>> Sometimes one's wife is right.

>> --
>>
>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>She's right alright about Aloha shoyu. The rest of all y'alls is wrong.

When I said it, you didn't believe it. Of course, I'm not your wife

--

The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 19:42:38 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> > Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is
>> > the source of umami flavor. My wife says that she was raised on
>> > Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that that's the soy sauce most Koreans
>> > prefer. I bought some Korean soy sauce. My wife thought it was
>> > excellent because it tasted like Kikkoman. I asked her what she
>> > thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was inferior. Ha ha, what a
>> > disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I can't say nuttin'
>> > about that to her. I just have to eat it.
>> >

>> Sometimes one's wife is right.
>> >

>Snicker. Correct. Lets relegate it to 'comfort food he is used to' and
>let it lay there.

OK.
--

The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 5:51:44 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 7:49:19 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Meat, by itself, is not rich in umami. Teriyaki beef is because it has added shoyu. A dish like
> > > spicy pork eggplant is umami rich because it has soy sauce, fermented black beans, oyster
> > > sauce, and MSG. Bacon and ham is full of umami because they're fermented/cured products.
> > > A Denver omelette is an American dish full of umami because it contains ham, cheese, and
> > > onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers aren't - unless they have cheese
> > > on it.

> > Any browned meat is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular?
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is. Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

Because drunk people will eat anything at 2 am.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:26:45 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >I rarely add Shoyu (aka Soy Sauce or Teriyaki sauce) to beef.

>> <pedantic>
>> Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
>> </pedantic>
>> --
>>
>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is the
>source of umami flavor.
>My wife says that she was raised on Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that that's
>the soy sauce most Koreans prefer. I bought some Korean soy sauce. My wife
>thought it was excellent because it tasted like Kikkoman. I asked her what
>she thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was inferior. Ha ha, what a
>disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I can't say nuttin' about that
>to her. I just have to eat it.

Sometimes one's wife is right.

====

What do you mean 'sometimes' ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/25/2021 12:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/25/2021 9:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> They're steamed on onions, not grilled or fried, and not flipped,
>> and they're much smaller than a regular burger.
>>
>> https://www.mashed.com/102893/dont-k...amous-sliders/
>>
>> ======
>>
>>  ÀšÃ‚ Thanks very much for that))ÀšÃ‚ Very interesting!
>>

> You're welcome, not exactly gourmet cuisine but variety is
> the spice of life, especially when it comes to ground beef.
>
> ====
>
> Â I grind a lot of my own beef for various dishes

Hey now we're talkin' gourmet' castle sliders, don't forget
to poke the five holes in each patty, and freeze them first
before you steam them. They go on frozen.

The steamed buns (it's not just the steam) are the hardest part to
duplicate.

=====

Ahh they go on frozen??

I missed that! Thanks

Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 10:16:28 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>>> <pedantic>
>>> Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
>>> </pedantic>
>>> --
>>>
>>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>>Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is the
>>source of umami flavor.
>>My wife says that she was raised on Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that that's
>>the soy sauce most Koreans prefer. I bought some Korean soy sauce. My wife
>>thought it was excellent because it tasted like Kikkoman. I asked her what
>>she thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was inferior. Ha ha, what a
>>disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I can't say nuttin' about that
>>to her. I just have to eat it.
>>

>Sometimes one's wife is right.
>
>====
>
> What do you mean 'sometimes' ?

Well, it happens!
--

The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2021 5:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/25/2021 12:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Stu Rawlings"ÂÂ* wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 2/25/2021 9:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> They're steamed on onions, not grilled or fried, and not flipped,
>>> and they're much smaller than a regular burger.
>>>
>>> https://www.mashed.com/102893/dont-k...amous-sliders/
>>>
>>> ======
>>>
>>>  ÀšÃ‚Â* Thanks very much for that))ÀšÃ‚Â* Very interesting!
>>>

>> You're welcome, not exactly gourmet cuisine but variety is
>> the spice of life, especially when it comes to ground beef.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Â*Â I grind a lot of my own beef for various dishes
>>

> Hey now we're talkin' gourmet' castle sliders, don't forget
> to poke the five holes in each patty, and freeze them first
> before you steam them. They go on frozen.
>
> The steamed buns (it's not just the steam) are the hardest part to
> duplicate.
>
> =====
>
> Â*Ahh they go on frozen??
>
> Â*I missed that!Â* Thanks
>
> Â*Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(

Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
time we made them -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2021 5:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>>> it >>> has added shoyu. A dish like
>>> fermented >>> black beans, oyster
>>> aren't - >>> unless they have cheese

>>> <pedantic>
>>> Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
>>> </pedantic>
>>> --
>>>
>>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>> Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is the
>> source of umami flavor.
>> My wife says that she was raised on Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that
>> that's the soy sauce most Koreans prefer. I bought some Korean soy
>> sauce. My wife thought it was excellent because it tasted like
>> Kikkoman. I asked her what she thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was
>> inferior. Ha ha, what a disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I
>> can't say nuttin' about that to her. I just have to eat it.
>>

> Sometimes one's wife is right.
>
> ====
>
> What do you mean 'sometimes' ?

LOL. Any smart husband always lets the wife win.
She's always right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:40:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> LOL. Any smart husband always lets the wife win.
> She's always right.

"Win" implies there's a loser. We don't have winners and losers in our house.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

On 2/26/2021 5:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>>> it >>> has added shoyu. A dish like
>>> fermented >>> black beans, oyster
>>> aren't - >>> unless they have cheese

>>> <pedantic>
>>> Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
>>> </pedantic>
>>> --
>>>
>>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>> Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is the
>> source of umami flavor.
>> My wife says that she was raised on Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that
>> that's the soy sauce most Koreans prefer. I bought some Korean soy
>> sauce. My wife thought it was excellent because it tasted like
>> Kikkoman. I asked her what she thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was
>> inferior. Ha ha, what a disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I
>> can't say nuttin' about that to her. I just have to eat it.
>>

> Sometimes one's wife is right.
>
> ====
>
> What do you mean 'sometimes' ?

LOL. Any smart husband always lets the wife win.
She's always right.

====

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2021 8:57 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:40:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>
>> LOL. Any smart husband always lets the wife win.
>> She's always right.

> "Win" implies there's a loser. We don't have winners and losers in our house.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

In 53 years, we had disagreements, but never had arguments. No one wins
an argument
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 5:16:37 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:59:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
> >On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> <pedantic>
> >> Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
> >> </pedantic>
> >>
> >> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

> >Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is the
> >source of umami flavor.
> >My wife says that she was raised on Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that that's
> >the soy sauce most Koreans prefer. I bought some Korean soy sauce. My wife
> >thought it was excellent because it tasted like Kikkoman. I asked her what
> >she thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was inferior. Ha ha, what a
> >disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I can't say nuttin' about that
> >to her. I just have to eat it.
> >

> Sometimes one's wife is right.
> ====
>
> What do you mean 'sometimes' ?

When she admits: "you were right".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/26/2021 5:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/25/2021 12:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Stu Rawlings"ÀšÃ‚ wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 2/25/2021 9:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> They're steamed on onions, not grilled or fried, and not flipped,
>>> and they're much smaller than a regular burger.
>>>
>>> https://www.mashed.com/102893/dont-k...amous-sliders/
>>>
>>> ======
>>>
>>> Àš ÀšÃ€šÃ‚ Thanks very much for that))ÀšÃ€šÃ‚ Very interesting!
>>>

>> You're welcome, not exactly gourmet cuisine but variety is
>> the spice of life, especially when it comes to ground beef.
>>
>> ====
>>
>>  Àš I grind a lot of my own beef for various dishes
>>

> Hey now we're talkin' gourmet' castle sliders, don't forget
> to poke the five holes in each patty, and freeze them first
> before you steam them. They go on frozen.
>
> The steamed buns (it's not just the steam) are the hardest part to
> duplicate.
>
> =====
>
> Â Ahh they go on frozen??
>
>  I missed that! Thanks
>
> Â Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(

Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
time we made them -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw

===

We, hubby and I, watched that vid and he was looking at me.... lol it
means I should do that!!!! LOL

Thank you very much! I will be giving that a go)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 9:24:45 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/26/2021 8:57 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:40:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >
> >> LOL. Any smart husband always lets the wife win.
> >> She's always right.

> > "Win" implies there's a loser. We don't have winners and losers in our house.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> In 53 years, we had disagreements, but never had arguments. No one wins
> an argument

Most of our disagreements end with me saying, "You're right and I was wrong".
Chiefly because he's a quicker thinker than I am, and will think before he speaks.
(I know it will surprise everyone here that I often speak before I think.)

Except the one over the color of the gutters on the house. I just can't let it go
that he bought them without consulting me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2021 9:35 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Stu Rawlings"Â* wrote in message ...
>> Do you think I could really replicate any of that?? I am not sure(
>>

> Sure you could, here's the video my wife and I followed the first
> time we made them -
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjka9e_QuWw
>
> ===
>
> Â*We, hubby and I, watched that vid and he was looking at me.... lol it
> means I should do that!!!! LOL
>
> Â*Thank you very much!Â* I will be giving that a go)))

You're welcome, it's worth a shot. They do sell them frozen
at grocery stores around here, don't know if they're available
where you are, if you just wanted to try them first.

That Ballistic BBQ guy has a bunch of videos that are
pretty good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 jmcquown wrote:

>On 2/25/2021 12:49 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Meat, by itself, is not rich in umami. Teriyaki beef is because it has added shoyu. A dish like
>>> spicy pork eggplant is umami rich because it has soy sauce, fermented black beans, oyster
>>> sauce, and MSG. Bacon and ham is full of umami because they're fermented/cured products.
>>> A Denver omelette is an American dish full of umami because it contains ham, cheese, and
>>> onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers aren't - unless they have cheese
>>> on it.

>> Any browned meat is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I rarely add Shoyu (aka Soy Sauce or Teriyaki sauce) to beef. The only
>beef cuts IMHO that require that addition are, incredibly tough cuts of
>meat (such as flank) which require marinating and are grilled or broiled
>to no more than medium rare and are then thinly sliced against the
>grain. Has nothing to do with White Castle frozen hamburgers.
>
>Jill

I often use Kikoman soy sauce in a marinade for beef, in fact I have a
3.5 lb top round roast marinating in the fridge since yesterday for
tonight's dinner; soy, white pepper, ginger, garlic, msg, orange
marmalade, a smidge of my wife's white box wine... turns out very
tasty.

Every time I marinate a roast I get annoyed that zip-locs only come in
1 quart and 1 gallon, nothing in between. One quart is too small, one
gallon is too large, I've phoned to complain but only got some airhead
who couldn't comprehend quarts. Would be nice if they made a 2 quart
size. A 3lb roast can't fit into a 1 quart zip-loc, the gallon size
is wasteful. A 2 quart size would be the most often used.

My wife likes box wine, she doesn't drink much, one box lasts her six
months but she says any box wine is better than mid priced bottled
wine and box wine stays fresh for up to a year. I drink very little
wine but occasionally I'll cook with a small amount, usually a couple
glugs in a marinade for the sweetness... orange marmalade
works well for sweetness and orange rind adds good flavor. Orange
marmalade works well for Chinese cookery; pork, beef, and chicken...
but the most important element is fresh ground white pepper... black
pepper ruins any Chinese dish.

I gave up on Penzys, they became too expensive, they stopped having a
catalogue, and especially since they became pro-faggot. Now I order
my spices from Amazon, much better prices, much better variety, much
better quality, and no political/sexual commentary... Amazon sells
spices in restaurant size containers, I've been very happy with all
the spices/herbs I've ordered from Amazon.
White peppercorns:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=white+pep...l_51ghl303pk_e
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 9:51:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Every time I marinate a roast I get annoyed that zip-locs only come in
> 1 quart and 1 gallon, nothing in between. One quart is too small, one
> gallon is too large,

Gallon bags are not four times the price of quart bags. They're
more like 1.5 times the price. If you're worried about wasting
the plastic, wash them out and reuse them.

> I've phoned to complain but only got some airhead
> who couldn't comprehend quarts. Would be nice if they made a 2 quart
> size. A 3lb roast can't fit into a 1 quart zip-loc, the gallon size
> is wasteful. A 2 quart size would be the most often used.

Most often used by you, perhaps. If they thought they could
sell a lot of 2-quart bags, they certainly would make them. They're
not going to make 2-quart bags because one crabby old man
wants them.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 01:59:39 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 5:51:44 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

>> > Any browned meat is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular?
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is. Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

>Cindy Hamilton

White Castle is rich in Mystery Meat. Many years ago,~45, I bit into
one and spit it out, HORRID, even their buns are Sog City.

I buy Accent from Amazon, they have all sizes but I buy the 2 LB
container twin pack... I use it instead of salt, still on the first
container since 05/27/2017:
https://www.amazon.com/Accent-Natura...s%2C216&sr=8-2

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 06:36:26 -0800, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Except the one over the color of the gutters on the house.

Because of genetics (human colour phosphors coded on the 'X' chromosome,
etc.), no man should ever argue with a woman about colours.

Even a man with 'normal' genes on his one 'X' (i.e. the 90% of men who
are not colour-blind) can never have better colour vision than 99% of
women. (The other 1% is women with a 'damaged' set of bad phosphor-
encoding genes in *both* of her X chromosomes.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-02-26 10:27 a.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 06:36:26 -0800, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Except the one over the color of the gutters on the house.

> Because of genetics (human colour phosphors coded on the 'X' chromosome,
> etc.), no man should ever argue with a woman about colours.
>
> Even a man with 'normal' genes on his one 'X' (i.e. the 90% of men who
> are not colour-blind) can never have better colour vision than 99% of
> women. (The other 1% is women with a 'damaged' set of bad phosphor-
> encoding genes in *both* of her X chromosomes.)

Really? No man should argue with any woman about colour? You should
stick to the fact that a lot more men than women are red green colour
blind. I would suggest that anyone who has studied art or worked
professionally as a painter (stand up and take a bow Gary) knows a lot
more about colour and can describe colour, enough to more than
compensate for any physical impairment. A lot of people are not well
enough versed in the names of colours to describe them or to identify
them. Puce and crimson come to mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2021 5:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is.
> Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

Please give your definition of umami. I've read definitions and it's
still pretty vague. Nothing definite that I can see. Just a new and odd
word.

I have no idea why White Castle burgers are popular. Had them once at a
real White Castle restaurant. Nothing but cute and tiny burger sliders

The frozen version in stores isn't anything to brag about.
I bought a box of those once "for giggles and grins" but won't buy more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Sometimes one's wife is right.

Your wife is always right.
Same with Bryan. He needs to constantly suck up to his wife...or else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2021 6:23 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:12:14 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-02-25 5:51 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is.
>>> Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?
>>>

>> Price?

> Steaming a burger on onions results in a umami rich burger. Coincidence? I think not.

Why does steaming on onions make a burger umami rich?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2021 8:57 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:40:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>
>> LOL. Any smart husband always lets the wife win.
>> She's always right.

> "Win" implies there's a loser. We don't have winners and losers in our house.

Then you must argue often. The smart loser only pretends to lose so as
to end the arguement and preserve the peace.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2021 10:20 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> White Castle is rich in Mystery Meat. Many years ago,~45, I bit into
> one and spit it out, HORRID, even their buns are Sog City.

No you didn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2021 12:25 PM, Gary wrote:
> On 2/26/2021 8:57 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:40:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>
>>> LOL. Any smart husband always lets the wife win.
>>> She's always right.

>> "Win" implies there's a loser.Â* We don't have winners and losers in
>> our house.

> Then you must argue often. The smart loser only pretends to lose so as
> to end the arguement and preserve the peace.

Do you get much demand for your relationship advice, Gary?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2021 12:46 PM, Stu Rawlings wrote:
> On 2/26/2021 12:25 PM, Gary wrote:

>>> "Win" implies there's a loser. We don't have winners and losers in
>>> our house.

>> Then you must argue often. The smart loser only pretends to lose so as
>> to end the arguement and preserve the peace.
>>

> Do you get much demand for your relationship advice, Gary?

LOL! Not really said the kangaroo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 7:22:28 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> On 2/25/2021 5:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is.
> > Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

> Please give your definition of umami. I've read definitions and it's
> still pretty vague. Nothing definite that I can see. Just a new and odd
> word.
>
> I have no idea why White Castle burgers are popular. Had them once at a
> real White Castle restaurant. Nothing but cute and tiny burger sliders
>
> The frozen version in stores isn't anything to brag about.
> I bought a box of those once "for giggles and grins" but won't buy more.

It's a somewhat salty taste but it's not salty. Browning re-hydrated onions in a White Castle burger will create umami. Scorching a pot of rice porridge will create an intense umami taste so there's ways of creating it in cooking. The Asians don't typically cook foods to create umami. Instead, they use seasonings rich with the taste: soy sauce, oyster sauce, fermented black beans, koji rice, miso, fish sauce, katsuobushi, kombu, fermented bean and rice paste, and other fermented products, including MSG.
Westerners don't typically cook using fermented flavoring agents. Mostly, they use herbs and spices. Sometimes they'll use cheese or ham or browned onions which do impart a umami flavor. Umami is not an important part of Western dishes. For the Asians, it's practically everything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 7:24:14 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> On 2/25/2021 6:23 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Price?

> > Steaming a burger on onions results in a umami rich burger. Coincidence? I think not.
> >

> Why does steaming on onions make a burger umami rich?

I don't know how it works. Perhaps it's fairy magic.
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...melize_onions/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 12:26:04 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> On 2/26/2021 8:57 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:40:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> >
> >> LOL. Any smart husband always lets the wife win.
> >> She's always right.

> > "Win" implies there's a loser. We don't have winners and losers in our house.

> Then you must argue often. The smart loser only pretends to lose so as
> to end the arguement and preserve the peace.

No. Like Ed, we occasionally disagree but we never argue.

I can see why you never remarried.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 10:53:23 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> You should stick to the fact that a lot more men
> than women are red green colour blind.

Some women (depending on inbreed quotient, etc.) might have two
*different* sets of blue / green phosphors, effectively making them much
more adept at colour perception. This makes their colour vision as much
superior over any man as most people have over the 10% of men we call
'colour-blind'.

> I would suggest that anyone who has studied art or worked
> professionally as a painter (stand up and take a bow Gary)
> knows a lot more about colour and can describe colour,
> enough to more than compensate for any physical impairment.

I would suggest that since no amount of schooling can make a colour-blind
person see colours normally, such a person will surely run into problems
discussing colours with others. How many colour names they can use is
moot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 12:22:28 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> On 2/25/2021 5:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is.
> > Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

> Please give your definition of umami. I've read definitions and it's
> still pretty vague. Nothing definite that I can see. Just a new and odd
> word.

It's not a "new" word. It's a foreign word. Japanese. We used to use
the word "savory", but that's not good enough for modern foodies.
Plus, it's overloaded to also mean "not sweet".

You know how cooked mushrooms taste kind of meaty? That's umami.

You can get those flavors from caramelization of sugars or during
the Maillard reaction when meat browns (despite what dsi1 says).

Western foods that are rich in umami include aged cheeses such as
Parmesan, tomatoes, anchovies, and ham. A lot of vegetables become
more umami-rich when roasted: carrots, cabbage, garlic, onions.

Industrial food is made umami-rich by the addition of monosodium glutamate,
disodium inosinate, and disodium guanylate. You'll often see that trio of
ingredients in processed foods.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2021 1:45 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 12:22:28 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> On 2/25/2021 5:51 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is.
>>> Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?

>> Please give your definition of umami. I've read definitions and it's
>> still pretty vague. Nothing definite that I can see. Just a new and odd
>> word.

> It's not a "new" word. It's a foreign word. Japanese. We used to use
> the word "savory", but that's not good enough for modern foodies.
> Plus, it's overloaded to also mean "not sweet".
>
> You know how cooked mushrooms taste kind of meaty? That's umami.
>
> You can get those flavors from caramelization of sugars or during
> the Maillard reaction when meat browns (despite what dsi1 says).

Yeah, dsi1 seems to think because he uses the Japanese word "unami" it
makes the food special. It's just another word for "tastes good",
albeit in a foreign language and yes, savory.

> Western foods that are rich in umami include aged cheeses such as
> Parmesan, tomatoes, anchovies, and ham. A lot of vegetables become
> more umami-rich when roasted: carrots, cabbage, garlic, onions.

Yep.

Jill