Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White Castle for Dinner! 2/19/21

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 4:30:14 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 Gary wrote:
> >dsi1 wrote:
> >> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part
> >> is that you can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger.
> >> I think I can make 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger.

> >You just described the delicious original McDonald's hamburgers.

> Yoose both got your taste buds in your rectum.

I can tell yoose is a guy that's really into rectums.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2021 7:27 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part
>> is that you can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger.
>> I think I can make 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger.

> You just described the delicious original McDonald's hamburgers.

No McDonald's today. It's Whopper Wednesday! $2 Double Whopper!

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 1:19:43 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On 2/19/2021 9:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 2/19/2021 9:11 PM, wrote:

> >> Krystal's don't have the 5 small holes, White Castle's do. But yes,
> >> Krystal's do have the dill pickle and I ask them to leave them off
> >> as well. No cheese, either, please.
> >>

> > It's probably a copycat recipe I saw for Krystal's that mentioned poking
> > holes in the meat using a drinking straw. Be that as it may, they are
> > so very similar despite Bryan's claims. Please leave off the dill
> > pickle. And for you, the cheese. I don't plan to eat these things
> > every day.
> >
> > Jill

> You say they're "very similar," but you also say that you've never
> eaten a real White Castle, only those frozen things. I have eaten
> thousands of White Castle burgers. I have also had Krystals.
> Krystal burgers are *inspired by* White Castles, not a copycat.
>
> In fact, when I noticed that Murfreesboro, TN had both, I went to
> both the same day to compare. The WCs won, hands down, but that
> might be because I grew up on WCs. When my mother was a teenager,
> she won a WC eating contest by eating 19 of them.
>
> Also, WCs *do* have a pickle, and I order them extra pickle and
> cooked onion. I also keep these around
> https://www.target.com/p/gas-treatme...2/-/A-47939611
>
> specifically for eating WCs. Eight WCs with extra onion can fill a
> gymnasium with odor. I have stories about WC farts that I'm sure
> you don't want me to post, but I have found one of them in the
> archives to share.
> --
> --Bryan
> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
> tested on laboratory animals.

White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 14:05:48 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 1:19:43 AM UTC-10, wrote:

>> > It's probably a copycat recipe I saw for Krystal's that mentioned poking
>> > holes in the meat using a drinking straw. Be that as it may, they are
>> > so very similar despite Bryan's claims. Please leave off the dill
>> > pickle. And for you, the cheese. I don't plan to eat these things
>> > every day.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> You say they're "very similar," but you also say that you've never
>> eaten a real White Castle, only those frozen things. I have eaten
>> thousands of White Castle burgers. I have also had Krystals.
>> Krystal burgers are *inspired by* White Castles, not a copycat.
>>
>> In fact, when I noticed that Murfreesboro, TN had both, I went to
>> both the same day to compare. The WCs won, hands down, but that
>> might be because I grew up on WCs. When my mother was a teenager,
>> she won a WC eating contest by eating 19 of them.
>>
>> Also, WCs *do* have a pickle, and I order them extra pickle and
>> cooked onion. I also keep these around
>> https://www.target.com/p/gas-treatme...2/-/A-47939611
>>
>> specifically for eating WCs. Eight WCs with extra onion can fill a
>> gymnasium with odor. I have stories about WC farts that I'm sure
>> you don't want me to post, but I have found one of them in the
>> archives to share.
>> --
>> --Bryan
>> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
>> tested on laboratory animals.

>White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.

Hawaii is in the West. Are all y'all not familiar with umami over
there? You don't know what you're missing out on!
--

The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 12:12:18 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 14:05:48 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> You say they're "very similar," but you also say that you've never
> >> eaten a real White Castle, only those frozen things. I have eaten
> >> thousands of White Castle burgers. I have also had Krystals.
> >> Krystal burgers are *inspired by* White Castles, not a copycat.
> >>
> >> In fact, when I noticed that Murfreesboro, TN had both, I went to
> >> both the same day to compare. The WCs won, hands down, but that
> >> might be because I grew up on WCs. When my mother was a teenager,
> >> she won a WC eating contest by eating 19 of them.
> >>
> >> Also, WCs *do* have a pickle, and I order them extra pickle and
> >> cooked onion. I also keep these around
> >> https://www.target.com/p/gas-treatme...2/-/A-47939611
> >>
> >> specifically for eating WCs. Eight WCs with extra onion can fill a
> >> gymnasium with odor. I have stories about WC farts that I'm sure
> >> you don't want me to post, but I have found one of them in the
> >> archives to share.
> >> --
> >> --Bryan
> >> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
> >> tested on laboratory animals.

> >White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.

> Hawaii is in the West. Are all y'all not familiar with umami over
> there? You don't know what you're missing out on!
> --
>
> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

We don't live in the West. We live in the South - the Southern part of the Northern hemisphere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2021 4:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, February 20, 2021 at 1:19:43 AM UTC-10, wrote:

>>> It's probably a copycat recipe I saw for Krystal's that mentioned poking
>>> holes in the meat using a drinking straw. Be that as it may, they are
>>> so very similar despite Bryan's claims. Please leave off the dill
>>> pickle. And for you, the cheese. I don't plan to eat these things
>>> every day.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> You say they're "very similar," but you also say that you've never
>> eaten a real White Castle, only those frozen things. I have eaten
>> thousands of White Castle burgers. I have also had Krystals.
>> Krystal burgers are *inspired by* White Castles, not a copycat.
>>
>> In fact, when I noticed that Murfreesboro, TN had both, I went to
>> both the same day to compare. The WCs won, hands down, but that
>> might be because I grew up on WCs. When my mother was a teenager,
>> she won a WC eating contest by eating 19 of them.
>>
>> Also, WCs *do* have a pickle, and I order them extra pickle and
>> cooked onion. I also keep these around
>> https://www.target.com/p/gas-treatme...2/-/A-47939611
>>
>> specifically for eating WCs. Eight WCs with extra onion can fill a
>> gymnasium with odor. I have stories about WC farts that I'm sure
>> you don't want me to post, but I have found one of them in the
>> archives to share.
>> --
>> --Bryan
>> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
>> tested on laboratory animals.

> White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.

I have posted here before about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_ribonucleotides
Talk about maximizing umami. Umami out the wazoo.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
tested on laboratory animals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 14:23:36 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 12:12:18 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 14:05:48 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.

>> Hawaii is in the West. Are all y'all not familiar with umami over
>> there? You don't know what you're missing out on!
>> --
>>
>> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

>We don't live in the West. We live in the South - the Southern part of the Northern hemisphere.

Sorry, but you're in the western hemisphere.
--

The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 12:29:23 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On 2/24/2021 4:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> You say they're "very similar," but you also say that you've never
> >> eaten a real White Castle, only those frozen things. I have eaten
> >> thousands of White Castle burgers. I have also had Krystals.
> >> Krystal burgers are *inspired by* White Castles, not a copycat.
> >>
> >> In fact, when I noticed that Murfreesboro, TN had both, I went to
> >> both the same day to compare. The WCs won, hands down, but that
> >> might be because I grew up on WCs. When my mother was a teenager,
> >> she won a WC eating contest by eating 19 of them.
> >>
> >> Also, WCs *do* have a pickle, and I order them extra pickle and
> >> cooked onion. I also keep these around
> >> https://www.target.com/p/gas-treatme...2/-/A-47939611
> >>
> >> specifically for eating WCs. Eight WCs with extra onion can fill a
> >> gymnasium with odor. I have stories about WC farts that I'm sure
> >> you don't want me to post, but I have found one of them in the
> >> archives to share.
> >> --
> >> --Bryan
> >> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
> >> tested on laboratory animals.

> > White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.
> >

> I have posted here before about this:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_ribonucleotides
> Talk about maximizing umami. Umami out the wazoo.
> --
> --Bryan
> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
> tested on laboratory animals.

The food processors and food scientists do know about umami - they pretty much have to. I got some Korean beef stock powder yesterday. I like the shy, coy, cow on the package. It has a little MSG in it. Please don't tell Bruce. He might get scared.
https://www.amazon.com/Dasida-Beef-F.../dp/B00UZU9XJY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 12:29:23 PM UTC-10, wrote:

>>> White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.
>>>

>> I have posted here before about this:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_ribonucleotides
>> Talk about maximizing umami. Umami out the wazoo.
>> --
>> --Bryan
>> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
>> tested on laboratory animals.

> The food processors and food scientists do know about umami - they pretty much have to. I got some Korean beef stock powder yesterday. I like the shy, coy, cow on the package. It has a little MSG in it. Please don't tell Bruce. He might get scared.
> https://www.amazon.com/Dasida-Beef-F.../dp/B00UZU9XJY

Sprinkle some on your ass. Maybe it will be a repellent for master
druce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:47:36 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> I have posted here before about this:
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_ribonucleotides
> >> Talk about maximizing umami. Umami out the wazoo.
> >> --
> >> --Bryan
> >> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
> >> tested on laboratory animals.

> > The food processors and food scientists do know about umami - they pretty much have to. I got some Korean beef stock powder yesterday. I like the shy, coy, cow on the package. It has a little MSG in it. Please don't tell Bruce. He might get scared.
> > https://www.amazon.com/Dasida-Beef-F.../dp/B00UZU9XJY
> >

> Sprinkle some on your ass. Maybe it will be a repellent for master
> druce.

I can tell yoose is a guy that loves to wax endlessly about the asses of boys. That's so creepy. That makes my flesh crawl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 20:26:51 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bruce wrote:

> You've >> > turned them into outside pet cats. Stay alive for their
> sakes. They >> > rely on your daily care now.
> >> >
> >> Yes, Sheldon doesn't know what a feral cat is.

> > Actually, I think you are right. He uses the term for cats that
> > aren't socialized but have had and depend on humans for some basics.
> >
> > Some call such 'semi-ferals'. Thats not actually a bad term for it.
> > With experience, they can become indoor cats and pets.
> >
> > Daisy-chan was very close to the real thing feral. Her only
> > indication of not fully feral was she liked dogs and may have lived
> > with one at some point and had an unatural fear-hate of human
> > toddlers (abuse at early age?).
> >
> > Sheldon has barn cats, not true ferals. I have no problem with
> > that. I do not know if he can handle a full on feral. It's not
> > likely but so many misuse the term...

> I agree. Feral cats are little monsters that won't let you get close
> to them, nor would you want to be.

Close but not exactly. You have to actually have experience for this
one and a bit of 'luck'. I would say 'have to be a cat person' but
that has too many meanings for what I am saying. What I am saying
might be called a 'Cat Whisperer'.

When Daisy-chan (Rainbow bridge, age 25) came to us it was after an
esimated possibly 9 years true wild, off it the woods. Not a barn cat
or colony cat. It took a decade reall but it happened in stages.
Because we knew how to handle her, it worked with no issues but in a
home who doesn't know such, it's a disaster.

The difference with ferals, is they have zero dependence or learned
dependence on humans and want none. It's a bit like adopting a wild
wolf or bear who's long past having their first litter/cubs and *knows*
you aren't essential and don't want to learn to be a pet.

Barn cats are fairly easy, at least in comparison.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BryanGSimmons wrote:

> On 2/24/2021 7:27 AM, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > > I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part
> > > is that you can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger.
> > > I think I can make 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of
> > > hamburger.

> > You just described the delicious original McDonald's hamburgers.
> >

> No McDonald's today. It's Whopper Wednesday! $2 Double Whopper!

If they got the JR Whopper I'm in! I like those!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 9:21:33 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On 2/24/2021 7:27 AM, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> >> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part
> >> is that you can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger.
> >> I think I can make 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger.

> > You just described the delicious original McDonald's hamburgers.
> >

> No McDonald's today. It's Whopper Wednesday! $2 Double Whopper!
> --
> --Bryan
> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
> tested on laboratory animals.

A two dollar Whopper? Fat chance of that ever happening over here. Eating at Burger King will make me feel sick but for 2 bucks, I'd eat that like John Wayne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:47:36 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> The food processors and food scientists do know about umami - they pretty much have to. I got some Korean beef stock powder yesterday. I like the shy, coy, cow on the package. It has a little MSG in it. Please don't tell Bruce. He might get scared.
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Dasida-Beef-F.../dp/B00UZU9XJY
>>>

>> Sprinkle some on your ass. Maybe it will be a repellent for master
>> druce.

> I can tell yoose is a guy that loves to wax endlessly about the asses of boys. That's so creepy. That makes my flesh crawl.

How did yoose ass taste when it crawled over yoose mouth?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:05:52 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized
> umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break
> for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.

Umami is well known in the West. We just didn't have a word for it,
except perhaps "savoriness".

We principally get umami from meat, since we have plenty of it,
rather than seaweed.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:47:36 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 12:29:23 PM UTC-10,
> > wrote:

> >> I have posted here before about this:
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_ribonucleotides
> >> Talk about maximizing umami. Umami out the wazoo.
> >> --
> >> --Bryan
> >> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
> >> tested on laboratory animals.

> > The food processors and food scientists do know about umami - they
> > pretty much have to. I got some Korean beef stock powder yesterday. I
> > like the shy, coy, cow on the package. It has a little MSG in it. Please
> > don't tell Bruce. He might get scared.
> > https://www.amazon.com/Dasida-Beef-F.../dp/B00UZU9XJY
> >

> Sprinkle some on your ass. Maybe it will be a repellent for master
> druce.

I can tell yoose is a guy that loves to wax endlessly about the asses of
boys. That's so creepy. That makes my flesh crawl.

===

And mine. He never talks about anything else((

If there is anyone here he listens to, please tell him this is cooking
group!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 01:37:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:05:52 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized
>> umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break
>> for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.

>Umami is well known in the West. We just didn't have a word for it,
>except perhaps "savoriness".

That's it, savouriness. Nothing new, really.

>We principally get umami from meat, since we have plenty of it,
>rather than seaweed.

If y'all started to demand seaweed, supply would soon follow.
--

The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On 2/24/2021 7:27 AM, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> >> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part
> >> is that you can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger.
> >> I think I can make 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger.

> > You just described the delicious original McDonald's hamburgers.
> >

> No McDonald's today. It's Whopper Wednesday! $2 Double Whopper!
> --
> --Bryan
> For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
> tested on laboratory animals.

A two dollar Whopper? Fat chance of that ever happening over here. Eating at
Burger King will make me feel sick but for 2 bucks, I'd eat that like John
Wayne.

===

LOL and does he eat burgers from there??

I have only once eaten in a burger place (I can't remember where, it's too
long ago) and didn't like it. So I always make my own (yes, from my own
minced beef!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:05:52 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized
> umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break
> for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.

Umami is well known in the West. We just didn't have a word for it,
except perhaps "savoriness".

We principally get umami from meat, since we have plenty of it,
rather than seaweed.

Cindy Hamilton

===

Ahhh thank you! I have never figured out 'umami' but since you call it,
'Savouriness' I can work with that ))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2021 6:46 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 2:10:23 PM UTC-10, Stu Rawlings wrote:
>> On 2/19/2021 7:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> For grins and giggles I bought a box of frozen White Castle brand
>>> cheeseburger 'sliders'. I'll be having two of them for dinner along
>>> with some potato chips. Don't ask me why I like them. In Memphis we
>>> had Krystal's, which were pretty much the same thing. It's been a
>>> couple of decades since I had either one.
>>>
>>> I think these will make an easy occasional lunch to take to work. (The
>>> breakroom has a full kitchen.) I'm in the process of building up a
>>> supply of *homemade* freezer meals for lunches.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> I like those too, we made home made ones two weeks ago,
>> rolled out the ground meat and put the five holes in
>> each patty, then steamed them on a bed of re-hydrated
>> onions. That's a unique taste for ground beef patties.
>>
>> The buns are the hardest thing to duplicate.
>>

> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part is that you can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger. I think I can make 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger. Mostly, it's a onion burger. That's a good thing.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvVmxfbgJUhW4j7t6

They are different for certain, nothing fantastic IMO, just
an imitation of a classic slider burger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2021 8:27 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part
>> is that you can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger.
>> I think I can make 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger.

> You just described the delicious original McDonald's hamburgers.

McD's steams their burgers on a bed of re-hydrated onions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/24/2021 6:46 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 2:10:23 PM UTC-10, Stu Rawlings wrote:
>> On 2/19/2021 7:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> For grins and giggles I bought a box of frozen White Castle brand
>>> cheeseburger 'sliders'. I'll be having two of them for dinner along
>>> with some potato chips. Don't ask me why I like them. In Memphis we
>>> had Krystal's, which were pretty much the same thing. It's been a
>>> couple of decades since I had either one.
>>>
>>> I think these will make an easy occasional lunch to take to work. (The
>>> breakroom has a full kitchen.) I'm in the process of building up a
>>> supply of *homemade* freezer meals for lunches.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> I like those too, we made home made ones two weeks ago,
>> rolled out the ground meat and put the five holes in
>> each patty, then steamed them on a bed of re-hydrated
>> onions. That's a unique taste for ground beef patties.
>>
>> The buns are the hardest thing to duplicate.
>>

> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part is that you can
> make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger. I think I can make 7 or 8
> full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger. Mostly, it's a onion burger.
> That's a good thing.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvVmxfbgJUhW4j7t6

They are different for certain, nothing fantastic IMO, just
an imitation of a classic slider burger.

====

It looks good to me, but then I don't know what a 'slider' is!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2021 6:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/24/2021 6:46 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I like those too, we made home made ones two weeks ago,
>>> rolled out the ground meat and put the five holes in
>>> each patty, then steamed them on a bed of re-hydrated
>>> onions. That's a unique taste for ground beef patties.
>>>
>>> The buns are the hardest thing to duplicate.
>>>

>> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part is that you
>> can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger. I think I can make
>> 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger. Mostly, it's a onion
>> burger. That's a good thing.
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvVmxfbgJUhW4j7t6
>>

> They are different for certain, nothing fantastic IMO, just
> an imitation of a classic slider burger.
>
> ====
>
> Â* It looks good to me, but then I don't know what a 'slider' is!

Here's a bunch of White Castle images from google -

https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...Uv0ajGJ6zO_n5M
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/25/2021 6:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/24/2021 6:46 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I like those too, we made home made ones two weeks ago,
>>> rolled out the ground meat and put the five holes in
>>> each patty, then steamed them on a bed of re-hydrated
>>> onions. That's a unique taste for ground beef patties.
>>>
>>> The buns are the hardest thing to duplicate.
>>>

>> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part is that you can
>> make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger. I think I can make 7 or 8
>> full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger. Mostly, it's a onion burger.
>> That's a good thing.
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvVmxfbgJUhW4j7t6
>>

> They are different for certain, nothing fantastic IMO, just
> an imitation of a classic slider burger.
>
> ====
>
> Â It looks good to me, but then I don't know what a 'slider' is!

Here's a bunch of White Castle images from google -

https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...Uv0ajGJ6zO_n5M

===

Thank you, but they all look like burgers to me What is the difference?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2021 6:29 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/25/2021 6:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Stu Rawlings"ÂÂ* wrote in message ...

>>> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part is that you
>>> can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger. I think I can make
>>> 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger. Mostly, it's a
>>> onion burger. That's a good thing.
>>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvVmxfbgJUhW4j7t6
>>>

>> They are different for certain, nothing fantastic IMO, just
>> an imitation of a classic slider burger.
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Â*ÂÂ* It looks good to me, but then I don't know what a 'slider' is!
>>

> Here's a bunch of White Castle images from google -
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...Uv0ajGJ6zO_n5M
>

> ===
>
> Thank you, but they all look like burgers to meÂ* What is the difference?

They're steamed on onions, not grilled or fried, and not flipped,
and they're much smaller than a regular burger.

https://www.mashed.com/102893/dont-k...amous-sliders/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2021 2:21 PM, BryanGSimmons wrote:
> No McDonald's today. It's Whopper Wednesday! $2 Double Whopper!

That's a good deal. I've had plain/single Whoppers for that price, BOGO
but not a double one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/25/2021 6:29 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/25/2021 6:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Stu Rawlings"ÀšÃ‚ wrote in message ...

>>> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part is that you can
>>> make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger. I think I can make 7 or 8
>>> full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger. Mostly, it's a onion burger.
>>> That's a good thing.
>>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/BvVmxfbgJUhW4j7t6
>>>

>> They are different for certain, nothing fantastic IMO, just
>> an imitation of a classic slider burger.
>>
>> ====
>>
>>  ÀšÃ‚ It looks good to me, but then I don't know what a 'slider' is!
>>

> Here's a bunch of White Castle images from google -
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=whit...Uv0ajGJ6zO_n5M
>
> ===
>
> Thank you, but they all look like burgers to me What is the
> difference?

They're steamed on onions, not grilled or fried, and not flipped,
and they're much smaller than a regular burger.

https://www.mashed.com/102893/dont-k...amous-sliders/

======

Thanks very much for that)) Very interesting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2021 5:39 AM, Stu Rawlings wrote:
> On 2/24/2021 8:27 AM, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>> I made some tonight. They are tasty and the amazing part
>>> is that you can make a burger with a tiny amount of hamburger.
>>> I think I can make 7 or 8 full-sized burgers from 1 lb of hamburger.

>> You just described the delicious original McDonald's hamburgers.
>>

> McD's steams their burgers on a bed of re-hydrated onions?

No. The original McBurgers use 2oz beef on a normal size bun with
ketchup, mustard and two thin pickle slices. You would need about 4 of
them to make a meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> If there is anyone here he listens to, please tell him this is cooking
> group!

heh heh Not very often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 11:37:34 PM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:05:52 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized
> > umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break
> > for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.

> Umami is well known in the West. We just didn't have a word for it,
> except perhaps "savoriness".
>
> We principally get umami from meat, since we have plenty of it,
> rather than seaweed.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Meat, by itself, is not rich in umami. Teriyaki beef is because it has added shoyu. A dish like spicy pork eggplant is umami rich because it has soy sauce, fermented black beans, oyster sauce, and MSG. Bacon and ham is full of umami because they're fermented/cured products. A Denver omelette is an American dish full of umami because it contains ham, cheese, and onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers aren't - unless they have cheese on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 11:43:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:47:36 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > The food processors and food scientists do know about umami - they
> > > pretty much have to. I got some Korean beef stock powder yesterday. I
> > > like the shy, coy, cow on the package. It has a little MSG in it. Please
> > > don't tell Bruce. He might get scared.
> > > https://www.amazon.com/Dasida-Beef-F.../dp/B00UZU9XJY
> > >

> > Sprinkle some on your ass. Maybe it will be a repellent for master
> > druce.

> I can tell yoose is a guy that loves to wax endlessly about the asses of
> boys. That's so creepy. That makes my flesh crawl.
> ===
>
> And mine. He never talks about anything else((
>
> If there is anyone here he listens to, please tell him this is cooking
> group!

Some people think that rfc means "rectum food cooking."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2021 9:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> They're steamed on onions, not grilled or fried, and not flipped,
> and they're much smaller than a regular burger.
>
> https://www.mashed.com/102893/dont-k...amous-sliders/
>
> ======
>
> Â* Thanks very much for that))Â* Very interesting!

You're welcome, not exactly gourmet cuisine but variety is
the spice of life, especially when it comes to ground beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 11:43:42 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
> On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:47:36 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > The food processors and food scientists do know about umami - they
> > > pretty much have to. I got some Korean beef stock powder yesterday. I
> > > like the shy, coy, cow on the package. It has a little MSG in it.
> > > Please
> > > don't tell Bruce. He might get scared.
> > > https://www.amazon.com/Dasida-Beef-F.../dp/B00UZU9XJY
> > >

> > Sprinkle some on your ass. Maybe it will be a repellent for master
> > druce.

> I can tell yoose is a guy that loves to wax endlessly about the asses of
> boys. That's so creepy. That makes my flesh crawl.
> ===
>
> And mine. He never talks about anything else((
>
> If there is anyone here he listens to, please tell him this is cooking
> group!

Some people think that rfc means "rectum food cooking."

====

So it would seem!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu Rawlings" wrote in message ...

On 2/25/2021 9:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> They're steamed on onions, not grilled or fried, and not flipped,
> and they're much smaller than a regular burger.
>
> https://www.mashed.com/102893/dont-k...amous-sliders/
>
> ======
>
> Â Thanks very much for that))Â Very interesting!

You're welcome, not exactly gourmet cuisine but variety is
the spice of life, especially when it comes to ground beef.

====

I grind a lot of my own beef for various dishes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2021 12:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Stu Rawlings"Â* wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/25/2021 9:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> They're steamed on onions, not grilled or fried, and not flipped,
>> and they're much smaller than a regular burger.
>>
>> https://www.mashed.com/102893/dont-k...amous-sliders/
>>
>> ======
>>
>> Â*ÂÂ* Thanks very much for that))ÂÂ* Very interesting!
>>

> You're welcome, not exactly gourmet cuisine but variety is
> the spice of life, especially when it comes to ground beef.
>
> ====
>
> Â*I grind a lot of my own beef for various dishes

Hey now we're talkin' gourmet' castle sliders, don't forget
to poke the five holes in each patty, and freeze them first
before you steam them. They go on frozen.

The steamed buns (it's not just the steam) are the hardest part to
duplicate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 11:44:29 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 11:37:34 PM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:05:52 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > > White Castle was cooking up burgers using a method that maximized
> > > umami long before umami became well known. That was a lucky break
> > > for them. OTOH, umami is still not well known in the West.

> > Umami is well known in the West. We just didn't have a word for it,
> > except perhaps "savoriness".
> >
> > We principally get umami from meat, since we have plenty of it,
> > rather than seaweed.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Meat, by itself, is not rich in umami. Teriyaki beef is because it has added shoyu. A dish like
> spicy pork eggplant is umami rich because it has soy sauce, fermented black beans, oyster
> sauce, and MSG. Bacon and ham is full of umami because they're fermented/cured products.
> A Denver omelette is an American dish full of umami because it contains ham, cheese, and
> onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers aren't - unless they have cheese
> on it.

Any browned meat is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2021 12:49 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 11:44:29 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Umami is well known in the West. We just didn't have a word for it,
>>> except perhaps "savoriness".
>>>
>>> We principally get umami from meat, since we have plenty of it,
>>> rather than seaweed.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Meat, by itself, is not rich in umami. Teriyaki beef is because it has added shoyu. A dish like
>> spicy pork eggplant is umami rich because it has soy sauce, fermented black beans, oyster
>> sauce, and MSG. Bacon and ham is full of umami because they're fermented/cured products.
>> A Denver omelette is an American dish full of umami because it contains ham, cheese, and
>> onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers aren't - unless they have cheese
>> on it.

> Any browned meat is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I rarely add Shoyu (aka Soy Sauce or Teriyaki sauce) to beef. The only
beef cuts IMHO that require that addition are, incredibly tough cuts of
meat (such as flank) which require marinating and are grilled or broiled
to no more than medium rare and are then thinly sliced against the
grain. Has nothing to do with White Castle frozen hamburgers.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:26:45 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>>> Meat, by itself, is not rich in umami. Teriyaki beef is because it has added shoyu. A dish like
>>> spicy pork eggplant is umami rich because it has soy sauce, fermented black beans, oyster
>>> sauce, and MSG. Bacon and ham is full of umami because they're fermented/cured products.
>>> A Denver omelette is an American dish full of umami because it contains ham, cheese, and
>>> onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers aren't - unless they have cheese
>>> on it.

>> Any browned meat is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I rarely add Shoyu (aka Soy Sauce or Teriyaki sauce) to beef.

<pedantic>
Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
</pedantic>
--

The real Bruce posts with Eternal September
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 7:49:19 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 11:44:29 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Umami is well known in the West. We just didn't have a word for it,
> > > except perhaps "savoriness".
> > >
> > > We principally get umami from meat, since we have plenty of it,
> > > rather than seaweed.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Meat, by itself, is not rich in umami. Teriyaki beef is because it has added shoyu. A dish like
> > spicy pork eggplant is umami rich because it has soy sauce, fermented black beans, oyster
> > sauce, and MSG. Bacon and ham is full of umami because they're fermented/cured products.
> > A Denver omelette is an American dish full of umami because it contains ham, cheese, and
> > onions. A White Castle slider is high in umami. Most burgers aren't - unless they have cheese
> > on it.

> Any browned meat is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

A fried burger is not rich in umami. A burger steamed on onions is. Why do you think White Castle burgers are so popular?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:26:45 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> >> Any browned meat is rich in umami. Why do you think steaks are so popular?
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> >I rarely add Shoyu (aka Soy Sauce or Teriyaki sauce) to beef.

> <pedantic>
> Teriyaki sauce isn't just soy sauce.
> </pedantic>
> --
>
> The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Teriyaki sauce is basically shoyu, sugar, and ginger. The shoyu is the source of umami flavor.
My wife says that she was raised on Kikkoman shoyu. I believe that that's the soy sauce most Koreans prefer. I bought some Korean soy sauce. My wife thought it was excellent because it tasted like Kikkoman. I asked her what she thought of Aloha shoyu. She said it was inferior. Ha ha, what a disappointment that was to hear. As it goes, I can't say nuttin' about that to her. I just have to eat it.