Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White Castle Law Suit

Il 12/09/2011 20:29, dsi1 ha scritto:

> Boy, I wish we had a White Castle in our town. We don't even have one in
> the state. I think that it would be great if White Castle was doing this
> to increase awareness of the obesity problem facing this nation.

Isn't that like saying "they sell you junkfood and then they give you
small chairs so that you realise how far they scr***d you up" ?
Or is WC sellling above-the-standard healthy fast food? I dunno, in
Italy only Burger King and McD's did the trip here, and BK is long dead
in my region, I don't even know if some BK have survived in Italy, maybe
zero. Sure not a big number.
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2011 10:08 AM, ViLco wrote:
> Il 12/09/2011 20:29, dsi1 ha scritto:
>
>> Boy, I wish we had a White Castle in our town. We don't even have one in
>> the state. I think that it would be great if White Castle was doing this
>> to increase awareness of the obesity problem facing this nation.

> Isn't that like saying "they sell you junkfood and then they give you
> small chairs so that you realise how far they scr***d you up" ?
> Or is WC sellling above-the-standard healthy fast food? I dunno, in
> Italy only Burger King and McD's did the trip here, and BK is long dead
> in my region, I don't even know if some BK have survived in Italy, maybe
> zero. Sure not a big number.

If one can get lunch cheap enough, having no seats is not too much of a
problem. There's not enough places in this country that have that
embrace that street-food philosophy. I've seen some Japanese movies that
have some guy in the middle of nowhere selling hot noodles on a cold
dark night - a very strange idea but cool idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:08:19 +0200, ViLco > wrote:

> Il 12/09/2011 20:29, dsi1 ha scritto:
>
> > Boy, I wish we had a White Castle in our town. We don't even have one in
> > the state. I think that it would be great if White Castle was doing this
> > to increase awareness of the obesity problem facing this nation.

> Isn't that like saying "they sell you junkfood and then they give you
> small chairs so that you realise how far they scr***d you up" ?
> Or is WC sellling above-the-standard healthy fast food? I dunno, in
> Italy only Burger King and McD's did the trip here, and BK is long dead
> in my region, I don't even know if some BK have survived in Italy, maybe
> zero. Sure not a big number.

It would have to be a region with a lot of American tourists. I
remember seeing a McDonald's with a Burger King opening up across the
street a block away from a train station the last time we were in
Europe. <shrug>

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 12/09/2011 23:55, dsi1 ha scritto:

> If one can get lunch cheap enough, having no seats is not too much of a
> problem. There's not enough places in this country that have that
> embrace that street-food philosophy. I've seen some Japanese movies that
> have some guy in the middle of nowhere selling hot noodles on a cold
> dark night - a very strange idea but cool idea.

I too have seen that scene many times, mostly in japanese cartoons. I
agree, that's a strange but nice setup
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2011 7:08 PM, ViLco wrote:
> Il 12/09/2011 23:55, dsi1 ha scritto:
>
>> If one can get lunch cheap enough, having no seats is not too much of a
>> problem. There's not enough places in this country that have that
>> embrace that street-food philosophy. I've seen some Japanese movies that
>> have some guy in the middle of nowhere selling hot noodles on a cold
>> dark night - a very strange idea but cool idea.

> I too have seen that scene many times, mostly in japanese cartoons. I
> agree, that's a strange but nice setup

Here's Shintaro Katsu in a movie doing just that. I love that guy - he
got arrested at the Honolulu Airport trying to smuggle in grass and coke
by hiding it in his underwear. What a fun guy! He claimed to have no
idea how it got in his pants but that story sounds just a little fishy.
OTOH, I would have just let him walk right into our state. After all, he
is Zatoichi the blind swordsman. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_78Csv5iOoE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2011 8:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/12/2011 7:08 PM, ViLco wrote:
>> Il 12/09/2011 23:55, dsi1 ha scritto:
>>
>>> If one can get lunch cheap enough, having no seats is not too much of a
>>> problem. There's not enough places in this country that have that
>>> embrace that street-food philosophy. I've seen some Japanese movies that
>>> have some guy in the middle of nowhere selling hot noodles on a cold
>>> dark night - a very strange idea but cool idea.

>> I too have seen that scene many times, mostly in japanese cartoons. I
>> agree, that's a strange but nice setup

> Here's Shintaro Katsu in a movie doing just that. I love that guy - he
> got arrested at the Honolulu Airport trying to smuggle in grass and coke
> by hiding it in his underwear. What a fun guy! He claimed to have no
> idea how it got in his pants but that story sounds just a little fishy.
> OTOH, I would have just let him walk right into our state. After all, he
> is Zatoichi the blind swordsman. :-)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_78Csv5iOoE

Ha ha, forget about that link - here's the real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Benra2I6vzk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 21:30:02 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> On 9/12/2011 8:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I too have seen that scene many times, mostly in japanese cartoons. I
>>> agree, that's a strange but nice setup

>> Here's Shintaro Katsu in a movie doing just that. I love that guy - he
>> got arrested at the Honolulu Airport trying to smuggle in grass and coke
>> by hiding it in his underwear. What a fun guy! He claimed to have no
>> idea how it got in his pants but that story sounds just a little fishy.
>> OTOH, I would have just let him walk right into our state. After all, he
>> is Zatoichi the blind swordsman. :-)
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_78Csv5iOoE

> Ha ha, forget about that link - here's the real deal:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Benra2I6vzk

Ah yes, the youth in Asia...

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > ha scritto nel messaggio
dsi1 ha scritto:

>> Boy, I wish we had a White Castle in our town. We don't even have one
>> in>> the state.

> Isn't that like saying "they sell you junkfood and then they give you
> small chairs so that you realise how far they scr***d you up" ?
> Or is WC sellling above-the-standard healthy fast food? I dunno, in Italy
> only Burger King and McD's did the trip here, and BK is long dead in my
> region, I don't even know if some BK have survived in Italy, maybe zero.
> Sure not a big number.

I've never seen a BK here. McDonald's costs about $10 though, so it's
cheaper to seek an Italian fastfood like tigelle or piadina, whatever.
No one makes anyone eat this stuff. One of my close friends here loves
McD's and will drive all the way to the closest McD's a good 40 minutes to
eat it.
In our town you can get a whole lunch for that money without driving 40
minutes.
If one ate one WC burger a day it couldn't make you fat. They're the size
of a poker chip! Order a sackful, which they do, and sure you'll get fat,
but if you order a sackful of most things you can get fat. Ever see anyone
order a sack of lobster rolls? No, they get one and they eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 ha scritto:

>> If one can get lunch cheap enough, having no seats is not too much of a
>> problem. There's not enough places in this country that have that
>> embrace that street-food philosophy. I've seen some Japanese movies that
>> have some guy in the middle of nowhere selling hot noodles on a cold
>> dark night - a very strange idea but cool idea.

> I too have seen that scene many times, mostly in japanese cartoons. I
> agree, that's a strange but nice setup

Those are the infamous noodle weagons that serve students who study way into
the night. You will find them wherever people gat off shift work or stay up
too late for going to restaurants. I read about it somewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
ViLco > wrote:

>> Italy only Burger King and McD's did the trip here, and BK is long dead
>> in my region, I don't even know if some BK have survived in Italy, maybe
>> zero. Sure not a big number.

> It would have to be a region with a lot of American tourists. I
> remember seeing a McDonald's with a Burger King opening up across the
> street a block away from a train station the last time we were in
> Europe. <shrug>

Europeans would love to have you think that, but our only McD's is 40
minutes away in a mall frequented by Italians. I'll bet they don't get more
than 3 foreigners a week and no tourists. Near the train station or the bus
station are only Italian snack food places.
That mall is accessible only via car and doesnt have the seductive shops
tourists like. I can't5 imagine how a tourist would even find it. Rome OTH
has one near the Spanish Steps.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:44:55 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> Ever see anyone
> order a sack of lobster rolls? No, they get one and they eat it.

<laugh> I'd eat lobster rolls more often if they didn't cost $20
each.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"penis clubbing and rice ****ing"?!?!? ROTFL!
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:44:55 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>
>> Ever see anyone
>> order a sack of lobster rolls? No, they get one and they eat it.

> <laugh> I'd eat lobster rolls more often if they didn't cost $20
> each.

Want a sackful?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2011 5:20 AM, ViLco wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Ha ha, forget about that link - here's the real deal:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Benra2I6vzk

> "penis clubbing and rice ****ing"?!?!? ROTFL!

The Hanzo the Razor movies are pretty outrageous and perverse even by
Japanese standards. My cousin took me to see one of these movies back in
the seventies. That was kinda strange. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:50:31 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:44:55 +0200, "Giusi" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Ever see anyone
> >> order a sack of lobster rolls? No, they get one and they eat it.

> > <laugh> I'd eat lobster rolls more often if they didn't cost $20
> > each.

> Want a sackful?

Have you seen how big a lobster roll is? I'm full just thinking
about it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:24:15 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

> Reminds me of the guy at OSU who having heard about some guy eating 50
> Burger King burgers tried to beat his record. He got through about 25
> Whoppers before somebody pointed out to him that the guy he was trying
> to beat was eating White Castle sliders. His response just before
> passing out--"I knew it was _something_ with royalty."

I hope he set some sort of BK Whopper eating record! 25 seems like a
lot.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Have you seen how big a lobster roll is? I'm full just thinking
> about it.

I'm from Maine and they came in sizes there. On dates after the movie you
could have a burger or a lobster roll, both the same size and much smaller
than these days, and both the same price. Thirty-five cents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 09:43:27 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Have you seen how big a lobster roll is? I'm full just thinking
> > about it.

> I'm from Maine and they came in sizes there. On dates after the movie you
> could have a burger or a lobster roll, both the same size and much smaller
> than these days, and both the same price. Thirty-five cents.

They do a lot of things differently back East. We don't get lobster
rolls in varying sizes and we don't get buckets full of steamers
either.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> They do a lot of things differently back East. We don't get lobster
> rolls in varying sizes and we don't get buckets full of steamers
> either.

This is something you should ask your elected representatives to look into.
Doesn't seem right, does it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:24:15 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 18:50:31 +0200, "Giusi" >
> > wrote:

> > > Want a sackful?
> > >

> > Have you seen how big a lobster roll is? I'm full just thinking
> > about it.

> Reminds me of the guy at OSU who having heard about some guy eating 50
> Burger King burgers tried to beat his record. He got through about 25
> Whoppers before somebody pointed out to him that the guy he was trying
> to beat was eating White Castle sliders. His response just before
> passing out--"I knew it was _something_ with royalty."

No one ate 25 Whoppers. It didn't happen.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:44:42 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > They do a lot of things differently back East. We don't get lobster
> > rolls in varying sizes and we don't get buckets full of steamers
> > either.

> This is something you should ask your elected representatives to look into.
> Doesn't seem right, does it?

You're getting us mixed up with the French.