Old 18-05-2019, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 1:19:21 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

The man who was re-stocking the meat case at Publix tried to steer me
towards Boar's Head brand corned beef. It was in the produce section.
$10.99/lb. Not at that price!

Jill

Only if it came with a family pack of 1-inch thick center cut pork chops.
:-))

Old 18-05-2019, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 May 2019 12:39:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 1:19:21 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

The man who was re-stocking the meat case at Publix tried to steer me
towards Boar's Head brand corned beef. It was in the produce section.
$10.99/lb. Not at that price!

Jill

Only if it came with a family pack of 1-inch thick center cut pork chops.
:-))

I recently tried thin cut boneless pork chops and now I am a fan. They
barely require cooking time in the pan and therefore they are always
juicy and tender. Also good for sandwiches. Especially good for us
since we each eat very little meat anymore.
Janet US
Old 18-05-2019, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 1:19:21 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

The man who was re-stocking the meat case at Publix tried to steer me
towards Boar's Head brand corned beef. It was in the produce section.
$10.99/lb. Not at that price!

Jill

Only if it came with a family pack of 1-inch thick center cut pork chops.
:-))

I recently tried thin cut boneless pork chops and now I am a fan. They
barely require cooking time in the pan and therefore they are always
juicy and tender. Also good for sandwiches. Especially good for us
since we each eat very little meat anymore.
Janet US

Us, too. They take marinade well and grill up in a snap.

We still occasionally eat thick ones, too. No need to limit ourselves.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 18-05-2019, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 3:19:36 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 4:15:46 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I recently tried thin cut boneless pork chops and now I am a fan. They
barely require cooking time in the pan and therefore they are always
juicy and tender. Also good for sandwiches. Especially good for us
since we each eat very little meat anymore.
Janet US

They're really good on a biscuit for breakfast.

Us, too. They take marinade well and grill up in a snap.

We still occasionally eat thick ones, too. No need to limit ourselves.

Cindy Hamilton

To me, the thick ones are really, really good if they're grilled. Mmmmmmm

Old 18-05-2019, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2019 4:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I recently tried thin cut boneless pork chops and now I am a fan. They
barely require cooking time in the pan and therefore they are always
juicy and tender. Also good for sandwiches. Especially good for us
since we each eat very little meat anymore.
Janet US

You can save a lot of money with a little work. A full boneless loin
can be had for $1.99 while the thin cut chops can be over $5. Cut them
and freeze.
Old 18-05-2019, 10:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 May 2019 17:17:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/18/2019 4:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I recently tried thin cut boneless pork chops and now I am a fan. They
barely require cooking time in the pan and therefore they are always
juicy and tender. Also good for sandwiches. Especially good for us
since we each eat very little meat anymore.
Janet US

You can save a lot of money with a little work. A full boneless loin
can be had for $1.99 while the thin cut chops can be over $5. Cut them
and freeze.

I get them at Albertsons when they are buy one get one free for
packages of 6 or so at maybe $3.99/pound.
Old 18-05-2019, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 1:19:21 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

The man who was re-stocking the meat case at Publix tried to steer me
towards Boar's Head brand corned beef. It was in the produce section.
$10.99/lb. Not at that price!

Jill

Only if it came with a family pack of 1-inch thick center cut pork chops.
:-))

I recently tried thin cut boneless pork chops and now I am a fan. They
barely require cooking time in the pan and therefore they are always
juicy and tender. Also good for sandwiches. Especially good for us
since we each eat very little meat anymore.
Janet US

I will cut pork tenderloin into boneless chops. So many ways to
prepare them and still have them come out tender and juicy.

Jill
Old 18-05-2019, 10:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-18 4:19 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 4:15:46 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

Only if it came with a family pack of 1-inch thick center cut pork chops.
:-))

I recently tried thin cut boneless pork chops and now I am a fan. They
barely require cooking time in the pan and therefore they are always
juicy and tender. Also good for sandwiches. Especially good for us
since we each eat very little meat anymore.
Janet US

Us, too. They take marinade well and grill up in a snap.

We still occasionally eat thick ones, too. No need to limit ourselves.

I usually get bone on pork chops. They are nice done on the gas grill
with just a little salt and pepper, and maybe some dried garlic.

Once in a while I will get some thin bone on chops. I mix up some salt,
pepper, garlic power, dried oregano and chopped fresh mint and rub it on
the chops an hour or two before cooking. Then I slap them on a hot grill
for about a minute per side. They turn out beautifully.

Old 18-05-2019, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-18 5:35 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

I will cut pork tenderloin into boneless chops. * So many ways to
prepare them and still have them come out tender and juicy.

Pork tenderloin is a very versatile cut.If you are cutting it into chops
I think they would be called medallions. I used to do that once in a
while and give them a good sear on each side, add some butter and then
finish them off with a sauce. I think the best I did was a apricot and
curry sauce. I chopped up dried currants, hydrated them in hot water.
then added some finely chopped onion into the butter sauteed until
tender, added some heavy cream and the apricots. I also tried them once
with a mushroom sauce.
Old 18-05-2019, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 May 2019 03:11:06 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 4:14:25 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:56:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 1:47:27 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Fri, 17 May 2019 03:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

snip
Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).

-sw
Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
Prices just aren't what they used to be.
Janet US

And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.

Cindy Hamilton

wages are higher for some people

Wages are higher for everybody. Not as much at the bottom end
as the top, of course.

Do you have an example of someone making less money for the
same work now compared to 10 years ago?

Cindy Hamilton

Most of the highly paid skilled trades jobs no longer exist in the
US... most jobs in the US are now low paid desk driving jobs - answer
the phone and know nothing faker jobs.

Sheldon, you are completely out of touch. Most companies don't
have anyone answering the phone; it's done by a computer.

Cindy Hamilton

You're in LaLaLand... I call for customer service often and *always* a
person answers... however rarely are they competent enough to answer
my question or even understand my question. Last week I phoned Lowes
to ask about a particular storm door... "what's a storm door"... is
all I got from a young female. This morning we drove to Lowes and a
middle aged man understood perfectly and so we placed an order for two
storm doors which our carpenter will pick up in a couple of weeks and
will install them; a 36" for the front door and a 32" for the side
door. Strange thing is that Lowe's computers are still using DOS, my
wife had to show the gentleman how it works with all the F keys. He
was sending us up to the service desk but then was very grateful that
he got a mini lesson in DOS. An excellent storm door at what the
gentleman said is an axcellent price... he knew doors, not so much
about computers.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/LARSON-Vill...75-in/50374560
Old 19-05-2019, 01:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Yes and the best come from Jewish delis in New York city. Popeye
turned me on to that.

Old 19-05-2019, 01:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Only if it came with a family pack of 1-inch thick center cut
pork chops.
:-))

I recently tried thin cut boneless pork chops and now I am a fan.
They
barely require cooking time in the pan and therefore they are always
juicy and tender.* Also good for sandwiches.* Especially good for us
since we each eat very little meat anymore.
Janet US

I will cut pork tenderloin into boneless chops. * So many ways to
prepare them and still have them come out tender and juicy.

Jill

Yes and the best come from Jewish delis in New York city. Popeye
turned me on to that.

They just have to disguise the pigs as cows before they slaughter
them, otherwise it's not kosher.
Old 19-05-2019, 11:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 5:17:17 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/18/2019 4:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I recently tried thin cut boneless pork chops and now I am a fan. They
barely require cooking time in the pan and therefore they are always
juicy and tender. Also good for sandwiches. Especially good for us
since we each eat very little meat anymore.
Janet US

You can save a lot of money with a little work. A full boneless loin
can be had for $1.99 while the thin cut chops can be over $5. Cut them
and freeze.

That's what I often do. When I notice pork loin is on sale I buy one,
slice it up and vac-pack it.

Cindy Hamilton

Corned beef again Wallace Preserving 2 16-03-2010 07:06 PM
Corned beef again Doug Freyburger Preserving 1 08-03-2010 11:57 PM
Corned beef again Brian Mailman[_1_] Preserving 1 08-03-2010 11:35 AM
Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef) Peter General Cooking 46 31-07-2006 04:03 PM
(OT) Corned Beef....Help! Matt NYC Barbecue 2 13-03-2004 03:57 PM