FoodBanter.com

-   -   Corned Beef (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/446952-corned-beef.html)

Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] 16-05-2019 11:51 PM

Corned Beef

Corned beef just went on sale at the supermarket I shop for $2.99/lb. I
bought a three pound flat. I generally eat corned beef once a year for
St. Pat's Day. Other times, the price is generally atrocious.
It turns out that their St. Pat's corned beef has a sell by date of
5/21 at this supermarket. They didn't sell it all for the big day and
upped the price afterward until the sell by date approached. I'll have
to remember the sell by date next year and plan accordingly.
So I'm going to cook it today, refrigerate it and figure out what to do
with it tomorrow. There's lots of stuff I "could do". I just haven't
decided what yet. It won't go to waste.

leo

[email protected][_2_] 17-05-2019 12:23 AM

Corned Beef

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 5:51:51 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> Corned beef just went on sale at the supermarket I shop for $2.99/lb. I
> bought a three pound flat. I generally eat corned beef once a year for
> St. Pat's Day. Other times, the price is generally atrocious.
> It turns out that their St. Pat's corned beef has a sell by date of
> 5/21 at this supermarket. They didn't sell it all for the big day and
> upped the price afterward until the sell by date approached. I'll have
> to remember the sell by date next year and plan accordingly.
> So I'm going to cook it today, refrigerate it and figure out what to do
> with it tomorrow. There's lots of stuff I "could do". I just haven't
> decided what yet. It won't go to waste.
>
> leo

You bought just one? I'd probably have snapped another 2 and froze them for
a later date. Anyway, let us know how you prepare it.

Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] 17-05-2019 01:27 AM

Corned Beef

In article >,
"> wrote:

> You bought just one? I'd probably have snapped another 2 and froze them for
> a later date. Anyway, let us know how you prepare it.

That would have been a good idea. Doh!

leo

[email protected] 17-05-2019 01:40 AM

Corned Beef

On Thu, 16 May 2019 15:51:47 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>Corned beef just went on sale at the supermarket I shop for $2.99/lb. I
>bought a three pound flat. I generally eat corned beef once a year for
>St. Pat's Day. Other times, the price is generally atrocious.
>It turns out that their St. Pat's corned beef has a sell by date of
>5/21 at this supermarket. They didn't sell it all for the big day and
>upped the price afterward until the sell by date approached. I'll have
>to remember the sell by date next year and plan accordingly.
>So I'm going to cook it today, refrigerate it and figure out what to do
>with it tomorrow. There's lots of stuff I "could do". I just haven't
>decided what yet. It won't go to waste.

I usually go for the Point cut, way lower cost, AND better taste.

But corned beef hash is always good, and sandwiches, of course.

Sqwertz[_53_] 17-05-2019 02:34 AM

Corned Beef

On Thu, 16 May 2019 15:51:47 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> Corned beef just went on sale at the supermarket I shop for $2.99/lb. I
> bought a three pound flat. I generally eat corned beef once a year for
> St. Pat's Day. Other times, the price is generally atrocious.
> It turns out that their St. Pat's corned beef has a sell by date of
> 5/21 at this supermarket. They didn't sell it all for the big day and
> upped the price afterward until the sell by date approached. I'll have
> to remember the sell by date next year and plan accordingly.
> So I'm going to cook it today, refrigerate it and figure out what to do
> with it tomorrow. There's lots of stuff I "could do". I just haven't
> decided what yet. It won't go to waste.

Most frigerated corned beef has a date stamp of 8-12 months out from
manufacture. The stuff here has been $3.50/lb here all year long -
Before and after St Patruicks day. They just keep moving it from
one place to another in the meat coolers.

Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).

-sw

[email protected][_2_] 17-05-2019 04:11 AM

Corned Beef

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:33:09 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> Most frigerated corned beef has a date stamp of 8-12 months out from
> manufacture. The stuff here has been $3.50/lb here all year long -
> Before and after St Patruicks day. They just keep moving it from
> one place to another in the meat coolers.
> -sw

I've never seen it under $3.99 per pound here. GRRRRRRRRR

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-05-2019 04:20 AM

Corned Beef

On 5/16/2019 11:11 PM, wrote:
> On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:33:09 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Most frigerated corned beef has a date stamp of 8-12 months out from
>> manufacture. The stuff here has been $3.50/lb here all year long -
>> Before and after St Patruicks day. They just keep moving it from
>> one place to another in the meat coolers.
>> -sw
>>

> I've never seen it under $3.99 per pound here. GRRRRRRRRR

Don't recall what I paid but not cheap. In CT it was always a
promotional item for St. Pats and very cheap. Spend $20 and it was $1.09

Last week I bought a packer cut brisket and it was $3.89 and another
store had the trimmed flat for $7.99

Bruce[_28_] 17-05-2019 04:55 AM

Corned Beef

On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:11:42 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:33:09 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Most frigerated corned beef has a date stamp of 8-12 months out from
>> manufacture. The stuff here has been $3.50/lb here all year long -
>> Before and after St Patruicks day. They just keep moving it from
>> one place to another in the meat coolers.
>> -sw
>>

>I've never seen it under $3.99 per pound here. GRRRRRRRRR

$8 a kilo for bits of dead animal is pretty cheap to me.

[email protected][_2_] 17-05-2019 05:22 AM

Corned Beef

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 10:55:03 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> $8 a kilo for bits of dead animal is pretty cheap to me.

Depends where those bits were located on the dead animal.

U.S. Janet B. 17-05-2019 05:54 AM

Corned Beef

On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

snip
>Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
>be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
>Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
>U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
>brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
>restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).
>
>-sw

Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
Prices just aren't what they used to be.
Janet US

FMurtz 17-05-2019 10:57 AM

Corned Beef

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
> "> wrote:
>
>> You bought just one? I'd probably have snapped another 2 and froze them for
>> a later date. Anyway, let us know how you prepare it.

> That would have been a good idea. Doh!
>
> leo

Pressure cooker.hand full salt, hand full brown sugar 1/2 cup vinegar 4
or 5 cloves 5 bay leafs, bit of nutmeg 3/4 to one hour

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 17-05-2019 11:38 AM

Corned Beef

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>

> snip
> >Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
> >be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
> >Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
> >U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
> >brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
> >restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).
> >
> >-sw

> Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
> Prices just aren't what they used to be.
> Janet US

And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-05-2019 02:52 PM

Corned Beef

On 5/17/2019 6:38 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>

>> snip
>>> Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
>>> be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
>>> Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
>>> U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
>>> brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
>>> restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
>> Prices just aren't what they used to be.
>> Janet US

> And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
> even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.
>

> Cindy Hamilton

True, but some of the former cheap cuts are no longer cheap. The masses
have discovered them. Adjusted for inflation, the chicken wing in 5
pound bags used to be equal to 39 cents/pound but since Buffalo wings
they are $2.39. People that never heard of BBQ brisket a few years back
now buy brisket sandwiches at Arby's and packer cuts have triples in
price. The trimmed flat at Publix was not much cheaper than a nice rib
eye steak.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 17-05-2019 03:19 PM

Corned Beef

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 9:52:58 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/17/2019 6:38 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
> >> wrote:
> >>

> >> snip

> >> Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
> >> Prices just aren't what they used to be.
> >> Janet US

> > And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
> > even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.
> >

> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> True, but some of the former cheap cuts are no longer cheap. The masses
> have discovered them. Adjusted for inflation, the chicken wing in 5
> pound bags used to be equal to 39 cents/pound but since Buffalo wings
> they are $2.39. People that never heard of BBQ brisket a few years back
> now buy brisket sandwiches at Arby's and packer cuts have triples in
> price. The trimmed flat at Publix was not much cheaper than a nice rib
> eye steak.

It was amazingly difficult to find any analyses that were less than
10 years old.

Yes, there has been disruption in the supply/demand of some cuts
of meat. However, unless you live on meat alone:

<https://seekingalpha.com/article/92689-over-the-past-100-years-food-prices-have-fallen-by-82-percent>

Cindy Hamilton

U.S. Janet B. 17-05-2019 06:47 PM

Corned Beef

On Fri, 17 May 2019 03:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>

>> snip
>> >Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
>> >be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
>> >Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
>> >U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
>> >brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
>> >restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).
>> >
>> >-sw

>> Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
>> Prices just aren't what they used to be.
>> Janet US

>And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
>even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.
>

>Cindy Hamilton

wages are higher for some people

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 17-05-2019 06:56 PM

Corned Beef

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 1:47:27 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2019 03:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
> >> wrote:
> >>

> >> snip

> >> Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
> >> Prices just aren't what they used to be.
> >> Janet US

> >And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
> >even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.
> >

> >Cindy Hamilton

> wages are higher for some people

Wages are higher for everybody. Not as much at the bottom end
as the top, of course.

Do you have an example of someone making less money for the
same work now compared to 10 years ago?

Cindy Hamilton

U.S. Janet B. 17-05-2019 07:27 PM

Corned Beef

On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:56:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 1:47:27 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 May 2019 03:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
>> >even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.
>> >

>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> wages are higher for some people

>Wages are higher for everybody. Not as much at the bottom end
>as the top, of course.
>
>Do you have an example of someone making less money for the
>same work now compared to 10 years ago?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

no. what I meant was that rising costs are out stripping the rising
costs of food for many people on the bottom portion of the wage scale.
I do not mean to start an argument about it

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 17-05-2019 08:07 PM

Corned Beef

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 2:27:17 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:56:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 1:47:27 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> On Fri, 17 May 2019 03:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> wages are higher for some people

> >Wages are higher for everybody. Not as much at the bottom end
> >as the top, of course.
> >
> >Do you have an example of someone making less money for the
> >same work now compared to 10 years ago?
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> no. what I meant was that rising costs are out stripping the rising
> costs of food for many people on the bottom portion of the wage scale.
> I do not mean to start an argument about it

Sound like I was basically agreeing with you. People at the bottom
are suffering, but more because of factors that aren't rising food
prices.

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-05-2019 08:45 PM

Corned Beef

On 5/17/2019 3:07 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 2:27:17 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:56:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Wages are higher for everybody. Not as much at the bottom end
>>> as the top, of course.
>>>
>>> Do you have an example of someone making less money for the
>>> same work now compared to 10 years ago?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> no. what I meant was that rising costs are out stripping the rising
>> costs of food for many people on the bottom portion of the wage scale.
>> I do not mean to start an argument about it

> Sound like I was basically agreeing with you. People at the bottom
> are suffering, but more because of factors that aren't rising food
> prices.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

When I graduated high school the minimum was was $1.55. Adjusted for
inflation, today it would be $10.41 Obviously, many states did not keep
up.

If you've been in the workforce for a number of years, plug in some
numbers to see how well you've fared over the years.
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

[email protected] 17-05-2019 09:14 PM

Corned Beef

On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:56:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 1:47:27 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 May 2019 03:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
>> >even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.
>> >

>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> wages are higher for some people

>Wages are higher for everybody. Not as much at the bottom end
>as the top, of course.
>
>Do you have an example of someone making less money for the
>same work now compared to 10 years ago?
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Most of the highly paid skilled trades jobs no longer exist in the
US... most jobs in the US are now low paid desk driving jobs - answer
the phone and know nothing faker jobs.

tert in seattle 17-05-2019 09:32 PM

Corned Beef

writes:
>On 5/17/2019 3:07 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 2:27:17 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:56:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> no. what I meant was that rising costs are out stripping the rising
>>> costs of food for many people on the bottom portion of the wage scale.
>>> I do not mean to start an argument about it

>> Sound like I was basically agreeing with you. People at the bottom
>> are suffering, but more because of factors that aren't rising food
>> prices.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>When I graduated high school the minimum was was $1.55. Adjusted for
>inflation, today it would be $10.41 Obviously, many states did not keep
>up.
>
>If you've been in the workforce for a number of years, plug in some
>numbers to see how well you've fared over the years.

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

over the past 40 years most people working in the U.S. have seen no
increase in pay after accounting for inflation

Bruce[_28_] 17-05-2019 09:44 PM

Corned Beef

On Fri, 17 May 2019 20:32:09 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:

>>> Sound like I was basically agreeing with you. People at the bottom
>>> are suffering, but more because of factors that aren't rising food
>>> prices.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>When I graduated high school the minimum was was $1.55. Adjusted for
>>inflation, today it would be $10.41 Obviously, many states did not keep
>>up.
>>
>>If you've been in the workforce for a number of years, plug in some
>>numbers to see how well you've fared over the years.
>>https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

>over the past 40 years most people working in the U.S. have seen no
>increase in pay after accounting for inflation

Meanwhile, the fat cats were getting fatter. You guys need Sanders
bad.

GM 17-05-2019 09:54 PM

Corned Beef

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Do you have an example of someone making less money for the
> same work now compared to 10 years ago?

Yeah, a prostitute...!!!

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-05-2019 10:08 PM

Corned Beef

On 5/17/2019 4:44 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> When I graduated high school the minimum was was $1.55. Adjusted for
>>> inflation, today it would be $10.41 Obviously, many states did not keep
>>> up.
>>>
>>> If you've been in the workforce for a number of years, plug in some
>>> numbers to see how well you've fared over the years.
>>> https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

>> over the past 40 years most people working in the U.S. have seen no
>> increase in pay after accounting for inflation

> Meanwhile, the fat cats were getting fatter. You guys need Sanders
> bad.

The President controls wages? I did not know that.

Bruce[_28_] 17-05-2019 10:11 PM

Corned Beef

On Fri, 17 May 2019 17:08:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> over the past 40 years most people working in the U.S. have seen no
>>> increase in pay after accounting for inflation

>> Meanwhile, the fat cats were getting fatter. You guys need Sanders
>> bad.
>>

>The President controls wages? I did not know that.

Sanders and others who think like him, at all levels. A change of
regime.

Bruce[_28_] 17-05-2019 10:12 PM

Corned Beef

On Fri, 17 May 2019 13:54:01 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Do you have an example of someone making less money for the
>> same work now compared to 10 years ago?

>Yeah, a prostitute...!!!

You'd know.

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-05-2019 10:39 PM

Corned Beef

On 5/17/2019 5:11 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Meanwhile, the fat cats were getting fatter. You guys need Sanders
>>> bad.
>>>

>> The President controls wages? I did not know that.

> Sanders and others who think like him, at all levels. A change of
> regime.

OK, Socialist would control wages

tert in seattle 17-05-2019 10:43 PM

Corned Beef

writes:
>On 5/17/2019 5:11 PM, Bruce wrote:

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

>>> The President controls wages? I did not know that.

>> Sanders and others who think like him, at all levels. A change of
>> regime.
>>

>OK, Socialist would control wages

"socialist would control wages"

hmm... say it with a Russian accent

I think Ed is a double agent

Bruce[_28_] 17-05-2019 10:49 PM

Corned Beef

On Fri, 17 May 2019 17:39:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/17/2019 5:11 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> The President controls wages? I did not know that.

>> Sanders and others who think like him, at all levels. A change of
>> regime.
>>

>OK, Socialist would control wages

Anytime someone suggests an improvement to the American system, y'all
go "Aaargh, socialism!" Y'all are a funny lot and nothing will ever
get better :)

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-05-2019 11:00 PM

Corned Beef

On 5/17/2019 5:43 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

>>> Sanders and others who think like him, at all levels. A change of
>>> regime.
>>>

>> OK, Socialist would control wages

> "socialist would control wages"
>
> hmm... say it with a Russian accent
>
> I think Ed is a double agent

We WILL control wages! ! !

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-05-2019 11:04 PM

Corned Beef

On 5/17/2019 5:49 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2019 17:39:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Sanders and others who think like him, at all levels. A change of
>>> regime.
>>>

>> OK, Socialist would control wages

> Anytime someone suggests an improvement to the American system, y'all
> go "Aaargh, socialism!" Y'all are a funny lot and nothing will ever
> get better :)

Not sure what you want to improve that will change wages for the average
person. I controlled mine by education, hard work, doing a good job.

We are not a perfect nation, but wage and price controls have not worked
well anywhere. Our tax code needs major overhaul though.

Bruce[_28_] 17-05-2019 11:11 PM

Corned Beef

On Fri, 17 May 2019 18:04:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 5/17/2019 5:49 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> OK, Socialist would control wages

>> Anytime someone suggests an improvement to the American system, y'all
>> go "Aaargh, socialism!" Y'all are a funny lot and nothing will ever
>> get better :)
>>

>Not sure what you want to improve that will change wages for the average
>person. I controlled mine by education, hard work, doing a good job.
>
>We are not a perfect nation, but wage and price controls have not worked
>well anywhere. Our tax code needs major overhaul though.

No nation's perfect, but only in America do people think that
improvement means socialism :)

tert in seattle 17-05-2019 11:35 PM

Corned Beef

writes:

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

>>> OK, Socialist would control wages

>> "socialist would control wages"
>>
>> hmm... say it with a Russian accent
>>
>> I think Ed is a double agent
>>

>We WILL control wages! ! !

in Soviet Russia, wages control YOU!!

GM 17-05-2019 11:53 PM

Corned Beef

Ed Pawlowski wrote in response to some blithering cretin:

> Not sure what you want to improve that will change wages for the average
> person. I controlled mine by education, hard work, doing a good job.

Exactly, and one should not aim to be "average", but strive to "excel" - which is what you and countless millions have managed to do in order to be successful in life...

Just this week five peeps I know got hired for good manufacturing jobs, they are starting at $19.00 - $23.00/hour, plus good bennies/overtime and such.. Some of these folks will enter apprenticeships (Pipefitters...), etc...even though all were new to manufacturing, they all got *multiple* offers...Illannoy alone has *25,000* vacancies for skilled manufacturing jobs...

Until very recently they were unemployed, doing shit menial jobs, or just released from prison even...they got free short - term manufacturing skills trainings and worked like hell to get ahead. They are on the road to a solid middle - class life of asset - building and financial security...no more food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, having to report to "social workers" ("social workers" I consider enabling >>>>>--- PARASITES ---<<<<<) or other handouts for them, they will pay their own way through life and be "productive members of society" as the auld saying goes...

To those who think they are "owed" a "living", my reply is "No one owes you ****..." - and the above - mentioned people will tell you the same thing....

One of my hobbies (or "obssessions", lol) is the economic history of the old Soviet Bloc states, specifically the former "German Democratic Repbublic" aka East Germany, which was considered the "showcase of socialism". Those who pine for "equality" would be wise to study the histories of those vanished states, what Bernie and OAC and their lot are pushing is the exact same failed "socialist" policies that brought the old Soviet Bloc states and the USSR to ruin...or look at present - day Cuba*, DPRK or Venezuela...

[*Cuba just tightened their food rations, the government announced "We will strive to have enough cooking oil - one cup per week - for our citizens..." LOL...!!! ]

> We are not a perfect nation, but wage and price controls have not worked
> well anywhere. Our tax code needs major overhaul though.

+1000

--
Best
Greg

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 18-05-2019 11:11 AM

Corned Beef

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 4:14:25 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:56:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 1:47:27 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> On Fri, 17 May 2019 03:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> wages are higher for some people

> >Wages are higher for everybody. Not as much at the bottom end
> >as the top, of course.
> >
> >Do you have an example of someone making less money for the
> >same work now compared to 10 years ago?
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Most of the highly paid skilled trades jobs no longer exist in the
> US... most jobs in the US are now low paid desk driving jobs - answer
> the phone and know nothing faker jobs.

Sheldon, you are completely out of touch. Most companies don't
have anyone answering the phone; it's done by a computer.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 18-05-2019 11:15 AM

Corned Beef

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 5:39:43 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/17/2019 5:11 PM, Bruce wrote:

> >> The President controls wages? I did not know that.

> > Sanders and others who think like him, at all levels. A change of
> > regime.
> >

> OK, Socialist would control wages

Don't you think it's a little odd that executives in other countries
can get by on something like 20 times the average wage at their
company while U.S. executives get something like 400-500 times the
median wage?

Cindy Hamilton

Janet 18-05-2019 01:16 PM

Corned Beef

In article >, says...

writes:

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

> >> "socialist would control wages"
> >>
> >> hmm... say it with a Russian accent
> >>
> >> I think Ed is a double agent
> >>

> >We WILL control wages! ! !

> in Soviet Russia, wages control YOU!!

Perhaps US Fox News hasn't told America yet, but Soviet Russia ended
in 1991.

Janet UK

Bruce[_28_] 18-05-2019 01:30 PM

Corned Beef

On Sat, 18 May 2019 03:15:14 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 5:39:43 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > Sanders and others who think like him, at all levels. A change of
>> > regime.
>> >

>> OK, Socialist would control wages

>Don't you think it's a little odd that executives in other countries
>can get by on something like 20 times the average wage at their
>company while U.S. executives get something like 400-500 times the
>median wage?

Good point.

Janet 18-05-2019 02:43 PM

Corned Beef

In article >, says...

> On 5/17/2019 5:49 PM, Bruce wrote:

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

> >> OK, Socialist would control wages

> > Anytime someone suggests an improvement to the American system, y'all
> > go "Aaargh, socialism!" Y'all are a funny lot and nothing will ever
> > get better :)
> >

> Not sure what you want to improve that will change wages for the average
> person. I controlled mine by education, hard work, doing a good job.
>
> We are not a perfect nation, but wage and price controls have not worked
> well anywhere.

Really? In UK, Walmart supermarkets ( trading as "ASDA") are forced
by law to pay their employees UK minimum wage and comply with other UK
employment legislation. Consequently, Walmart employees in UK, do not
suffer like their US counterparts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walmart#Labor_relations

Janet UK

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 18-05-2019 03:48 PM

Corned Beef

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 9:43:23 AM UTC-4, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

> > > Anytime someone suggests an improvement to the American system, y'all
> > > go "Aaargh, socialism!" Y'all are a funny lot and nothing will ever
> > > get better :)
> > >

> > Not sure what you want to improve that will change wages for the average
> > person. I controlled mine by education, hard work, doing a good job.
> >
> > We are not a perfect nation, but wage and price controls have not worked
> > well anywhere.

> Really? In UK, Walmart supermarkets ( trading as "ASDA") are forced
> by law to pay their employees UK minimum wage and comply with other UK
> employment legislation. Consequently, Walmart employees in UK, do not
> suffer like their US counterparts.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walmart#Labor_relations
>
> Janet UK

The business of America is business. The government does
relatively little to ensure the welfare of those near the
bottom of the ladder. People vote against their own interests.

Cindy Hamilton