FoodBanter.com

-   -   Corned Beef (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/446952-corned-beef.html)

Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] 16-05-2019 11:51 PM

Corned Beef

Corned beef just went on sale at the supermarket I shop for $2.99/lb. I
bought a three pound flat. I generally eat corned beef once a year for
St. Pat's Day. Other times, the price is generally atrocious.
It turns out that their St. Pat's corned beef has a sell by date of
5/21 at this supermarket. They didn't sell it all for the big day and
upped the price afterward until the sell by date approached. I'll have
to remember the sell by date next year and plan accordingly.
So I'm going to cook it today, refrigerate it and figure out what to do
with it tomorrow. There's lots of stuff I "could do". I just haven't
decided what yet. It won't go to waste.

leo

[email protected][_2_] 17-05-2019 12:23 AM

Corned Beef

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 5:51:51 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

Corned beef just went on sale at the supermarket I shop for $2.99/lb. I
bought a three pound flat. I generally eat corned beef once a year for
St. Pat's Day. Other times, the price is generally atrocious.
It turns out that their St. Pat's corned beef has a sell by date of
5/21 at this supermarket. They didn't sell it all for the big day and
upped the price afterward until the sell by date approached. I'll have
to remember the sell by date next year and plan accordingly.
So I'm going to cook it today, refrigerate it and figure out what to do
with it tomorrow. There's lots of stuff I "could do". I just haven't
decided what yet. It won't go to waste.

leo

You bought just one? I'd probably have snapped another 2 and froze them for
a later date. Anyway, let us know how you prepare it.

Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] 17-05-2019 01:27 AM

Corned Beef

In article ,
" wrote:

You bought just one? I'd probably have snapped another 2 and froze them for
a later date. Anyway, let us know how you prepare it.

That would have been a good idea. Doh!

leo

[email protected] 17-05-2019 01:40 AM

Corned Beef

On Thu, 16 May 2019 15:51:47 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
wrote:

Corned beef just went on sale at the supermarket I shop for $2.99/lb. I
bought a three pound flat. I generally eat corned beef once a year for
St. Pat's Day. Other times, the price is generally atrocious.
It turns out that their St. Pat's corned beef has a sell by date of
5/21 at this supermarket. They didn't sell it all for the big day and
upped the price afterward until the sell by date approached. I'll have
to remember the sell by date next year and plan accordingly.
So I'm going to cook it today, refrigerate it and figure out what to do
with it tomorrow. There's lots of stuff I "could do". I just haven't
decided what yet. It won't go to waste.

I usually go for the Point cut, way lower cost, AND better taste.

But corned beef hash is always good, and sandwiches, of course.

Sqwertz[_53_] 17-05-2019 02:34 AM

Corned Beef

On Thu, 16 May 2019 15:51:47 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

Corned beef just went on sale at the supermarket I shop for $2.99/lb. I
bought a three pound flat. I generally eat corned beef once a year for
St. Pat's Day. Other times, the price is generally atrocious.
It turns out that their St. Pat's corned beef has a sell by date of
5/21 at this supermarket. They didn't sell it all for the big day and
upped the price afterward until the sell by date approached. I'll have
to remember the sell by date next year and plan accordingly.
So I'm going to cook it today, refrigerate it and figure out what to do
with it tomorrow. There's lots of stuff I "could do". I just haven't
decided what yet. It won't go to waste.

Most frigerated corned beef has a date stamp of 8-12 months out from
manufacture. The stuff here has been $3.50/lb here all year long -
Before and after St Patruicks day. They just keep moving it from
one place to another in the meat coolers.

Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).

-sw

[email protected][_2_] 17-05-2019 04:11 AM

Corned Beef

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:33:09 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

Most frigerated corned beef has a date stamp of 8-12 months out from
manufacture. The stuff here has been $3.50/lb here all year long -
Before and after St Patruicks day. They just keep moving it from
one place to another in the meat coolers.
-sw

I've never seen it under $3.99 per pound here. GRRRRRRRRR

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-05-2019 04:20 AM

Corned Beef

On 5/16/2019 11:11 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:33:09 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

Most frigerated corned beef has a date stamp of 8-12 months out from
manufacture. The stuff here has been $3.50/lb here all year long -
Before and after St Patruicks day. They just keep moving it from
one place to another in the meat coolers.
-sw

I've never seen it under $3.99 per pound here. GRRRRRRRRR

Don't recall what I paid but not cheap. In CT it was always a
promotional item for St. Pats and very cheap. Spend $20 and it was $1.09

Last week I bought a packer cut brisket and it was $3.89 and another
store had the trimmed flat for $7.99

Bruce[_28_] 17-05-2019 04:55 AM

Corned Beef

On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:11:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 8:33:09 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

Most frigerated corned beef has a date stamp of 8-12 months out from
manufacture. The stuff here has been $3.50/lb here all year long -
Before and after St Patruicks day. They just keep moving it from
one place to another in the meat coolers.
-sw

I've never seen it under $3.99 per pound here. GRRRRRRRRR

$8 a kilo for bits of dead animal is pretty cheap to me.

[email protected][_2_] 17-05-2019 05:22 AM

Corned Beef

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 10:55:03 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

$8 a kilo for bits of dead animal is pretty cheap to me.

Depends where those bits were located on the dead animal.

U.S. Janet B. 17-05-2019 05:54 AM

Corned Beef

On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

snip
Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).

-sw

Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
Prices just aren't what they used to be.
Janet US

FMurtz 17-05-2019 10:57 AM

Corned Beef

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

You bought just one? I'd probably have snapped another 2 and froze them for
a later date. Anyway, let us know how you prepare it.

That would have been a good idea. Doh!

leo

Pressure cooker.hand full salt, hand full brown sugar 1/2 cup vinegar 4
or 5 cloves 5 bay leafs, bit of nutmeg 3/4 to one hour

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 17-05-2019 11:38 AM

Corned Beef

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

snip
Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).

-sw

Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
Prices just aren't what they used to be.
Janet US

And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 17-05-2019 02:52 PM

Corned Beef

On 5/17/2019 6:38 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

snip
Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).

-sw

Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
Prices just aren't what they used to be.
Janet US

And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.

Cindy Hamilton

True, but some of the former cheap cuts are no longer cheap. The masses
have discovered them. Adjusted for inflation, the chicken wing in 5
pound bags used to be equal to 39 cents/pound but since Buffalo wings
they are $2.39. People that never heard of BBQ brisket a few years back
now buy brisket sandwiches at Arby's and packer cuts have triples in
price. The trimmed flat at Publix was not much cheaper than a nice rib
eye steak.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 17-05-2019 03:19 PM

Corned Beef

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 9:52:58 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/17/2019 6:38 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

snip
[...]

It was amazingly difficult to find any analyses that were less than
10 years old.

Yes, there has been disruption in the supply/demand of some cuts
of meat. However, unless you live on meat alone:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/92689-over-the-past-100-years-food-prices-have-fallen-by-82-percent

Cindy Hamilton

U.S. Janet B. 17-05-2019 06:47 PM

Corned Beef

On Fri, 17 May 2019 03:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

snip
Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).

-sw

Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
Prices just aren't what they used to be.
Janet US

And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.

Cindy Hamilton

wages are higher for some people