Old 10-01-2019, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blind taste test

Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
Is there a better butter than what we see?

Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2019 3:21 PM, Thomas wrote:
Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
Is there a better butter than what we see?

Never met a bad butter, but some seem better. Texture to spread when
cold is a factor too.

I've been buying Amish Roll Butter recently. Comes wrapped in heavy
waxed paper and is a long roll that I have to cut to go in a butter
dish. One reason I like it is the creamy texture and spreadability.

Seems to me many brands of butter are exactly the same, just the outer
carton is different. Inside wraps have no name on them. I'm guessing
the same butter factory is churning it out for many brands, just changes
cartons.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 3:19:32 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Never met a bad butter, but some seem better. Texture to spread when
cold is a factor too.

I've been buying Amish Roll Butter recently. Comes wrapped in heavy
waxed paper and is a long roll that I have to cut to go in a butter
dish. One reason I like it is the creamy texture and spreadability.

There is/was some guy bringing in a LOT of Amish cooked goods from Ohio
to our local golly whopper once-a-month flea market. One of the items
he has/had was fresh churned butter. The samples he gave out were indeed
delicious but at $9 a pound I had to pass; mouth watering though!

Seems to me many brands of butter are exactly the same, just the outer
carton is different. Inside wraps have no name on them. I'm guessing
the same butter factory is churning it out for many brands, just changes
cartons.

I would not be surprised in the least to see Land-o-Lakes, Walmart, Kroger,
Aldi brand cartons in one of those processing plants.

Old 11-01-2019, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 10:15:27 PM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

On 1/10/2019 10:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That would not be my every day butter for everything, but, I'd buy it
once in a while for eating on bread.* Not for cooking.* Once in a whole
I'll pay a high price for a really good treat.

Ditto, it would be a splurge but I'd have to get that once in a while.
Just for where you'd notice it, on bread.

Nancy

It truly was a moment to savor. I almost thought about getting back in line
and having another sample but thought better of it and moved on.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 4:49 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 10 Jan 2019 09:15:21p, Nancy Young told us...

Ditto, it would be a splurge but I'd have to get that once in a
while. Just for where you'd notice it, on bread.

I really like using European butter on good bread, when I make
shortbread, and melted on spaghetti or fetuchini with a bit of fresh
shaved garlic and fesh herbs.

I do get Kerrygold at Costco for the butter bell, I confess. I don't
go through a package too fast so it lasts a while. I never would
think to use it to bake but your fettuccine sounds delicious.

nancy
Old 11-01-2019, 08:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 10:21:27 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
Is there a better butter than what we see?

A lot of folks have an inflated sense of the sensitivity and ability in analyzing what their eating. Why is that? I don't know. It's the same way with guitar players and audiophiles. They think they can hear the gauge of wire that their signals are traveling through their pickups or speaker cables.

https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-ne...ing-1678446860

Old 11-01-2019, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 3:00:54 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 10:21:27 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten..
I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
Is there a better butter than what we see?

A lot of folks have an inflated sense of the sensitivity and ability in analyzing what their eating. Why is that? I don't know. It's the same way with guitar players and audiophiles. They think they can hear the gauge of wire that their signals are traveling through their pickups or speaker cables..

https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-ne...ing-1678446860

There is a good deal of variation in sensory apparatus. Some people
can detect quite a bit of nuance; other people cannot. Some people's
taste buds are extra-sensitive to certain flavors (notably cilantro);
others' are not.

Anything you think you know about how something tastes is unique to you,
and cannot be extrapolated to anyone else.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 11-01-2019, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 10:19:19 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

My guess is that most people already know this.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:21:27 PM UTC+1, Thomas wrote:
Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
Is there a better butter than what we see?

In Denmark the things to look for a

- is the milk from Denmark or german cows? the cheapest butter is from german milk
- is it conventional or organic? if one doesnt care about organic, organic is often linked to it being made in a more traditional manner which in turn makes it better
- is it unsalted or salted? if saltd, is it "special" salt? butter with special salt is more salted and thus not for baking, but really nice for a charcuterie plate.
- is it "oldfashioned churned" , then the flavour is more pronounced ( often this is linked to being organic

Old 11-01-2019, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-11 1:19 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

This certainly applies to wine! I've read too many descriptions from
pompous palates that claim to detect flavours of, say, black raspberry
along with a veritable fruit salad of flavours.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 4:27:26 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
On 2019-01-11 1:19 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

I can taste notes of cherry or berry in the coffee that we prefer. Provided
that I don't brew it too weak or too strong.

Cindy Hamilton