Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Blind taste test

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:06:23 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> This certainly applies to wine! I've read too many descriptions from
> >> pompous palates that claim to detect flavours of, say, black raspberry
> >> along with a veritable fruit salad of flavours.

> > I can taste notes of cherry or berry in the coffee that we prefer. Provided
> > that I don't brew it too weak or too strong.

> Some of them can string a pretty good line, but there are people with
> sophisticated palates that can actually sense those tastes, and panels
> of people who can come up with the independently. Then there are those
> who go to wine tastings and the tour guide will tell them what they
> should be tasting and the saps with swallow it.

If you can taste the difference between sliced up coffee beans vs ground coffee beans, I'd like to shake your hands! Anybody that has half a brain and has brewed a cup or two will know that what's important when making coffee is the amount of coffee you use and the freshness of the beans.

I suppose water plays a part too - but it shouldn't. I had some coffee in a big restaurant in FL and they used the tap water to brew the coffee. I took a sip and then spit it out. Their water had the odor of decaying organic material. It was hard to take a shower in that stinkin' water. As it goes, I had no choice. All I can say is "now I know."