Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Blind taste test

On 1/11/2019 3:57 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 9:21:27 PM UTC+1, Thomas wrote:
>> Did Kerrygold butter vs Landolakes. Wife and I on mini bagles.
>> No diff by any taste. No name butter is 3 bucks per pound, Kerry is ten.
>> I am glad to try Kerry but the affair is over.
>> Is there a better butter than what we see?

> In Denmark the things to look for a
>
> - is the milk from Denmark or german cows? the cheapest butter is from german milk
> - is it conventional or organic? if one doesnt care about organic, organic is often linked to it being made in a more traditional manner which in turn makes it better
> - is it unsalted or salted? if saltd, is it "special" salt? butter with special salt is more salted and thus not for baking, but really nice for a charcuterie plate.
> - is it "oldfashioned churned" , then the flavour is more pronounced ( often this is linked to being organic

I'm sure you know Kerrygold is imported Irish butter and Land O' Lakes
is made in the US. Observations about Danish butter production is
rather irrelevant.

IMHO, the difference in taste between Land O' Lakes and Kerrygold is the
amount of butterfat. If Thomas can't taste the difference then I
suggest he stick with what he prefers rather than pay more for a name.

I like Kerrygold. I love it on toasted sourdough bread. But I also buy
store brand butter. Compared to Land O' Lakes, it's exactly the same
thing except it usually costs less. Unless Land O' Lakes goes on sale.

Jill