Old 08-01-2019, 02:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornbread (pic)

On Mon 07 Jan 2019 02:48:25p, graham told us...

On 2019-01-07 2:47 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/7/2019 4:20 PM, l not -l wrote:
Onテつ* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown wrote:

On 1/7/2019 6:50 AM, l not -l wrote:
Onテつ* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown wrote:

Couldn't sleep, so I baked a skillet of cornbread.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCdJsF06/cornbread.jpg
Yum!テつ* That would go very well with the leftover pinto beans I
plan to have for lunch.テつ* Instead, I'll have to settle for
tortilla chips.テつ* 8-(

Cornbread is great with bean dishes.テつ* I'm planning to make
some spicy bean soup to serve with it.テつ* I do love cornbread!

I just added buttermilk to my grocery list and will be baking a
batch or cornbread soon.テつ* I should have done that when I took
the last of the freezer stash recently.

I never remember to buy buttermilk.テつ* I do the cheat thing and
add a splash of white vinegar to milk to curdle it.テつ* Now I have
to add white vinegar to my shopping list.

Jill

Why not buy some buttermilk powder? Then you'll never be without.

I've bought that several times, but I've never had good luck with it
in any rcipes I've tried.

When I remember to buy it, I add a tbsp or so when I'm making chocolate
cakes. It really intensifies the flavour. I sift it in with the cocoa
powder.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-07 6:01 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Mon 07 Jan 2019 04:35:13p, jmcquown told us...

On 1/7/2019 6:50 AM, l not -l wrote:
Onテつ* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown wrote:

Couldn't sleep, so I baked a skillet of cornbread.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCdJsF06/cornbread.jpg
Yum!テつ* That would go very well with the leftover pinto beans
I plan to have for lunch.テつ* Instead, I'll have to settle for
tortilla chips.テつ* 8-(

Cornbread is great with bean dishes.テつ* I'm planning to make
some spicy bean soup to serve with it.テつ* I do love cornbread!

I just added buttermilk to my grocery list and will be baking a
batch or cornbread soon.テつ* I should have done that when I took
the last of the freezer stash recently.

I never remember to buy buttermilk.テつ* I do the cheat thing and
add a splash of white vinegar to milk to curdle it.テつ* Now I have
to add white vinegar to my shopping list.

I do that sometimes too, but I also try to have powered
buttermilk on hand.

I keep forgetting to add powdered buttermilk to my list. I've
added it.
I'm also nearly out of white vinegar so I've added that to my
list.
(White vinegar combined with baking soda and water is an excellent
way to clean jewelery.)

Jill

And also drains.

Unless you have copper plumbing!!! My house has copper drain-pipes that
are obviously vulnerable.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-07 7:57 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Mon 07 Jan 2019 02:48:25p, graham told us...

Why not buy some buttermilk powder? Then you'll never be without.

I've bought that several times, but I've never had good luck with it
in any rcipes I've tried.

I have used it for waffles, pancakes and scones and it worked fine.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2019 8:18 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:

I got tired of watching episodes of 'Victoria' on PBS and didn't want to
start reading a new book. I decided to bake some cornbread instead.

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care ;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

I do care! I'm really enjoying the series.

Jill
Old 08-01-2019, 03:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 7:18:29 PM UTC-6, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care ;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

Thanks for the bulletin! They've been airing the previous episodes here but since
I've already seen them I didn't tune in. Not really wild about how Albert is
being portrayed; 'Marilyn Monroe' and breathy/breathless. But I enjoyed the series but not one of their better ones.

Where is "Home Fires"?

Where is "The Crimson Fields"?

Old 08-01-2019, 03:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 07 Jan 2019 06:45:15p, graham told us...

On 2019-01-07 4:47 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/7/2019 4:20 PM, l not -l wrote:
Onテム堙つ* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown wrote:

On 1/7/2019 6:50 AM, l not -l wrote:
Onテム堙つ* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown wrote:

Couldn't sleep, so I baked a skillet of cornbread.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCdJsF06/cornbread.jpg
Yum!テム堙つ* That would go very well with the leftover pinto
beans I plan to have for lunch.テム堙つ* Instead, I'll have to
settle for tortilla chips.テム堙つ* 8-(

Cornbread is great with bean dishes.テム堙つ* I'm planning to
make some spicy bean soup to serve with it.テム堙つ* I do love
cornbread!

I just added buttermilk to my grocery list and will be baking
a batch or cornbread soon.テム堙つ* I should have done that when I
took the last of the freezer stash recently.

I never remember to buy buttermilk.テム堙つ* I do the cheat thing
and add a splash of white vinegar to milk to curdle it.テム堙
Now I have to add white vinegar to my shopping list.

I do that sometimes too, but I also try to have powered
buttermilk on hand.

I keep forgetting to add powdered buttermilk to my list. I've
added it.
I'm also nearly out of white vinegar so I've added that to my
list.
(White vinegar combined with baking soda and water is an
excellent way to clean jewelery.)

Jill

And also drains.

Unless you have copper plumbing!!! My house has copper drain-pipes
that are obviously vulnerable.

I wouldnd't think there would be enough acid to really do any damage.

Well after my former neighbour died, her daughter was cleaning the house
and poured a full bottle of vinegar down the sink. Six or seven hundred
dollars for plumbing repairs made her regret that! It ate through the
copper drain pipe.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I got tired of watching episodes of 'Victoria' on PBS and didn't want to
start reading a new book.ツ* I decided to bake some cornbread instead.

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care ;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

I do care!ツ* I'm really enjoying the series.

Jill

Isn't it nice to see good acting and also a show that doesn't start each
episode with a gruesome murder?
Old 08-01-2019, 05:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-07 2:47 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/7/2019 4:20 PM, l not -l wrote:
Onツ* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown wrote:

On 1/7/2019 6:50 AM, l not -l wrote:
Onツ* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown wrote:

Couldn't sleep, so I baked a skillet of cornbread.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCdJsF06/cornbread.jpg
Yum!ツ* That would go very well with the leftover pinto beans I
plan to have for lunch.ツ* Instead, I'll have to settle for
tortilla chips.ツ* 8-(

Cornbread is great with bean dishes.ツ* I'm planning to make
some spicy bean soup to serve with it.ツ* I do love cornbread!

I just added buttermilk to my grocery list and will be baking a
batch or cornbread soon.ツ* I should have done that when I took
the last of the freezer stash recently.

I never remember to buy buttermilk.ツ* I do the cheat thing and
add a splash of white vinegar to milk to curdle it.ツ* Now I have
to add white vinegar to my shopping list.

Jill

Why not buy some buttermilk powder? Then you'll never be without.

I've bought that several times, but I've never had good luck with it
in any rcipes I've tried.

How interesting. I keep a carton (in a plastic bag) in my fridge for
up to 2 years. It doesn't stay that long because I use it.
Janet US
Old 08-01-2019, 05:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 07 Jan 2019 07:49:47p, graham told us...

On 2019-01-07 4:47 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/7/2019 4:20 PM, l not -l wrote:

wrote:

Couldn't sleep, so I baked a skillet of cornbread.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCdJsF06/cornbread.jpg
Yum!テθ津「ぎナ。テム堙つ* That would go very well with the leftover
pinto beans I plan to have for lunch.テθ津「ぎナ。テム堙つ* Instead,
I'll have to settle for tortilla chips.テθ津「ぎナ。テム堙つ* 8-(

Cornbread is great with bean dishes.テθ津「ぎナ。テム堙つ* I'm planning
to make some spicy bean soup to serve with it.テθ津「ぎナ。テム堙つ* I
do love cornbread!

I just added buttermilk to my grocery list and will be
baking a batch or cornbread soon.テθ津「ぎナ。テム堙つ* I should have
done that when I took the last of the freezer stash
recently.

I never remember to buy buttermilk.テθ津「ぎナ。テム堙つ* I do the cheat
thing and add a splash of white vinegar to milk to curdle
it.テθ津「ぎナ。テム Now I have to add white vinegar to my shopping
list.

[...]

That's a little drastic. When I periodically use the vinegar and
baking soda I put 3 orf 4 tablespoons of baking soda down the drain
followed by 1 cup of white vinegar. When it's finished foaming up I
follow that up with copious amouns of very hot water. The process
doesn't take more than 10-15 minutes and the drain is clean and
fresh.

Our houses are over 50 years old and built in a time when all the above
ground plumbing was copper and who knows how much corrosion had already
weakened the pipes. They've been using plastic for many years now, even
for the water supply lines.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I got tired of watching episodes of 'Victoria' on PBS and didn't want to
start reading a new book.* I decided to bake some cornbread instead.

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care ;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

I do care!* I'm really enjoying the series.

Jill

Isn't it nice to see good acting and also a show that doesn't start each
episode with a gruesome murder?

I've never seen a show that starts every episode with a gruesome
murder. One wonders what kind of stuff you watch.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I got tired of watching episodes of 'Victoria' on PBS and didn't want to
start reading a new book.ツ* I decided to bake some cornbread instead.

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care ;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

I do care!ツ* I'm really enjoying the series.

Jill

Isn't it nice to see good acting and also a show that doesn't start each
episode with a gruesome murder?

I've never seen a show that starts every episode with a gruesome
murder. One wonders what kind of stuff you watch.

"Bones" starts every episode with a gruesome decomposed body discovery.

We usually watch it while eating supper.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 08-01-2019, 02:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

We go to bed at the same time and rise at the same time. We sleep very
badly! I often need a nap in the day

Keep in mind though - if you nap in the day, you won't sleep all
night soundly. At least I don't.

I think everyone has their own sleep needs and patterns. Husband
and wife can't expect to have the same.

My sleep habits (changed over the years) would definitely drive a
wife crazy. It's my daughter's fault though, dammit. She stayed
up all night and ruined my "sleep all night at once" habit. Now I
like being awake at least some of the late night hours.

The only habit I've maintained since age 17 is that I always wake
up and get up early. Very early. I most always wake up by 4am
(without alarm) and get out of bed and start coffee maker by
4:30am. I do this on work days and also on days off. I love going
outside each morning in the dark, before sunrise. It's the best
time of day, imo.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I got tired of watching episodes of 'Victoria' on PBS and didn't
want to
start reading a new book.ツ* I decided to bake some cornbread instead.

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care ;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

I do care!ツ* I'm really enjoying the series.

Jill

Isn't it nice to see good acting and also a show that doesn't start each
episode with a gruesome murder?

Oh, I happen to like 'Father Brown', too.

Jill
Old 08-01-2019, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Bruce wrote:
I've never seen a show that starts every episode with a gruesome
murder. One wonders what kind of stuff you watch.

"Bones" starts every episode with a gruesome decomposed body discovery.
We usually watch it while eating supper.

Stairway to Heaven: "Ooh, it really makes me wonder." ;o
Old 08-01-2019, 03:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 9:16:09 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Bruce wrote:
I've never seen a show that starts every episode with a gruesome
murder. One wonders what kind of stuff you watch.

"Bones" starts every episode with a gruesome decomposed body discovery.
We usually watch it while eating supper.

Stairway to Heaven: "Ooh, it really makes me wonder." ;o

Wonder no longer. We're able to distinguish between what happens
on television and what happens in reality.

Cindy Hamilton

Cornbread etc Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 78 23-01-2014 07:42 AM
Cornbread Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 5 30-12-2006 08:14 AM
Cornbread kilikini General Cooking 3 28-12-2006 08:35 PM
Cornbread Ken Davey General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 07:01 PM
CornBREAD Richard Crowley Baking 22 16-12-2005 06:53 AM