Old 08-01-2019, 03:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornbread (pic)

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

We go to bed at the same time and rise at the same time. We sleep very
badly! I often need a nap in the day

Keep in mind though - if you nap in the day, you won't sleep all
night soundly. At least I don't.

I think everyone has their own sleep needs and patterns. Husband
and wife can't expect to have the same.

My sleep habits (changed over the years) would definitely drive a
wife crazy. It's my daughter's fault though, dammit. She stayed
up all night and ruined my "sleep all night at once" habit. Now I
like being awake at least some of the late night hours.

The only habit I've maintained since age 17 is that I always wake
up and get up early. Very early. I most always wake up by 4am
(without alarm) and get out of bed and start coffee maker by
4:30am. I do this on work days and also on days off. I love going
outside each morning in the dark, before sunrise. It's the best
time of day, imo.

==

So, it isn't all bad

Old 08-01-2019, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

"Gary" wrote:
The only habit I've maintained since age 17 is that I always wake
up and get up early. Very early. I most always wake up by 4am
(without alarm) and get out of bed and start coffee maker by
4:30am. I do this on work days and also on days off. I love going
outside each morning in the dark, before sunrise. It's the best
time of day, imo.

==

So, it isn't all bad

Nothing about my sleep habits are bad. I do quite fine with my
schedule. Not one long sleep but a series of shorter sleeps. I do
best on 5.5 to 6 hours sleep per night. Too little or too much
and I feel tired the next day.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 9:16:09 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Bruce wrote:
I've never seen a show that starts every episode with a gruesome
murder. One wonders what kind of stuff you watch.

"Bones" starts every episode with a gruesome decomposed body discovery.
We usually watch it while eating supper.

Stairway to Heaven: "Ooh, it really makes me wonder." ;o

Wonder no longer. We're able to distinguish between what happens
on television and what happens in reality.

That's insifignicant here. Fact is you both enjoy shows about
evil murders and decomposing bodies. Personally I don't. I tend
towards the nicer side of humans and the friendly movies. You
hate animals though so I'm not surprised.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Bruce wrote:
I've never seen a show that starts every episode with a gruesome
murder. One wonders what kind of stuff you watch.

"Bones" starts every episode with a gruesome decomposed body discovery.
We usually watch it while eating supper.

Stairway to Heaven: "Ooh, it really makes me wonder." ;o

Wonder no longer. We're able to distinguish between what happens
on television and what happens in reality.

That's insifignicant here. Fact is you both enjoy shows about
evil murders and decomposing bodies. Personally I don't. I tend
towards the nicer side of humans and the friendly movies. You
hate animals though so I'm not surprised.

The nice thing about those shows is that evil murderers are brought
to justice. It satisfies my sense of order and my interest in puzzles.

If I hated animals, I wouldn't have multiple bird feeders.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 08-01-2019, 04:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 07 Jan 2019 07:49:47p, graham told us...

On Mon 07 Jan 2019 06:45:15p, graham told us...

On 2019-01-07 6:01 p.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Mon 07 Jan 2019 04:35:13p, jmcquown told us...

On 2019-01-07 4:47 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/7/2019 4:20 PM, l not -l wrote:
OnΓƒ€šΓ‚Β* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown
wrote:

On 1/7/2019 6:50 AM, l not -l wrote:
OnΓƒ€šΓ‚Β* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown
wrote:

Couldn't sleep, so I baked a skillet of cornbread.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCdJsF06/cornbread.jpg
Yum!Γƒ€šΓ‚Β* That would go very well with the leftover
pinto beans I plan to have for lunch.Γƒ€šΓ‚Β* Instead,
I'll have to settle for tortilla chips.Γƒ€šΓ‚Β* 8-(

Cornbread is great with bean dishes.Γƒ€šΓ‚Β* I'm planning
to make some spicy bean soup to serve with it.Γƒ€šΓ‚Β* I
do love cornbread!

I just added buttermilk to my grocery list and will be
baking a batch or cornbread soon.Γƒ€šΓ‚Β* I should have
done that when I took the last of the freezer stash
recently.

I never remember to buy buttermilk.Γƒ€šΓ‚Β* I do the cheat
thing and add a splash of white vinegar to milk to curdle
it.Γƒ€šΓ‚ Now I have to add white vinegar to my shopping
list.

I do that sometimes too, but I also try to have powered
buttermilk on hand.

I keep forgetting to add powdered buttermilk to my list. I've
added it.
I'm also nearly out of white vinegar so I've added that to
my list.
(White vinegar combined with baking soda and water is an
excellent way to clean jewelery.)

Jill

And also drains.

Unless you have copper plumbing!!! My house has copper
drain-pipes that are obviously vulnerable.

Older waste lines are brass (not copper), nowadays they're PVC, rarely
clog because they are so smooth, brass pits and schmutz adheres and
builds up... I recently changed the waste line under my kitchen sink,
it was chrome plated brass, had practically dissolved at the P trap so
was oozing, that's how I knew, from a small puddle under the sink,
cought it before any water damage. But was all corroded so I changed
it all. The hardware store only had PVC in various kits. PVC is very
easy to work with... no gluing, all compression fittings, no tools
needed, all finger tight.

I wouldnd't think there would be enough acid to really do any
damage.

Well after my former neighbour died, her daughter was cleaning the
house and poured a full bottle of vinegar down the sink. Six or
seven hundred dollars for plumbing repairs made her regret that!
It ate through the copper drain pipe.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-07 4:47 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/7/2019 4:20 PM, l not -l wrote:
OnΓƒ€šΓ‚Β* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown
wrote:

On 1/7/2019 6:50 AM, l not -l wrote:
OnΓƒ€šΓ‚Β* 7-Jan-2019, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

That's a little drastic. When I periodically use the vinegar and
baking soda I put 3 orf 4 tablespoons of baking soda down the drain
followed by 1 cup of white vinegar. When it's finished foaming up I
follow that up with copious amouns of very hot water. The process
doesn't take more than 10-15 minutes and the drain is clean and
fresh.

Our houses are over 50 years old and built in a time when all the above
ground plumbing was copper and who knows how much corrosion had already
weakened the pipes. They've been using plastic for many years now, even
for the water supply lines.

The supply lines were copper but waste lines were brass. Now
everything is plastic... even buried lines are now plastic...
previously buried waste lines were cast iron or Orangeburg pipe.
Plumbers don't solder copper pipe anymore, all compression fittings.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

"Gary" wrote:
The only habit I've maintained since age 17 is that I always wake
up and get up early. Very early. I most always wake up by 4am
(without alarm) and get out of bed and start coffee maker by
4:30am. I do this on work days and also on days off. I love going
outside each morning in the dark, before sunrise. It's the best
time of day, imo.

==

So, it isn't all bad

Nothing about my sleep habits are bad. I do quite fine with my
schedule. Not one long sleep but a series of shorter sleeps. I do
best on 5.5 to 6 hours sleep per night. Too little or too much
and I feel tired the next day.

=

I wish I could get my sleeping habits so well organised. Still I will keep
trying, you have shown it is possible)

Old 08-01-2019, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 8:04 a.m., Gary wrote:

We go to bed at the same time and rise at the same time. We sleep very
badly! I often need a nap in the day

Keep in mind though - if you nap in the day, you won't sleep all
night soundly. At least I don't.

I do not nap because I won't sleep well at night if I was sleeping
during the day. Even sleeping in late cane shift me to a late cycle. I
have a few times had a short power nap, about 10 minutes.

My father was a bit of a workaholic and insomnia. We used to have
supper shortly after he got home from work. He would then have a short
nap. He would then go out to meetings or putter around the house until
after 11 and then had trouble sleeping. The next day he would need that
nap because he was tired from not sleeping. It was a vicious cycle.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 10:29:16 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

Older waste lines are brass (not copper),

You don't know everything. In the first house I owned, the main stack
was copper. I can't quite recall what the other drain lines were made
of; it's been more than 20 years since we sold that house.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 08-01-2019, 08:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 11:58 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 10:29:16 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

Older waste lines are brass (not copper),

You don't know everything. In the first house I owned, the main stack
was copper. I can't quite recall what the other drain lines were made
of; it's been more than 20 years since we sold that house.

Cindy Hamilton

Mine are copper!
Sheldum really is a "Know-all, Know-nothing" type.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-07 7:16 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 1/7/2019 8:18 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:

I got tired of watching episodes of 'Victoria' on PBS and didn't
want to
start reading a new book.Β* I decided to bake some cornbread
instead.

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care ;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

I do care!Β* I'm really enjoying the series.

Jill

Isn't it nice to see good acting and also a show that doesn't start
each episode with a gruesome murder?

Oh, I happen to like 'Father Brown', too.

Have you seen Murder in Paradise? It's pretty good.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I got tired of watching episodes of 'Victoria' on PBS and didn't
want to
start reading a new book.Β* I decided to bake some cornbread
instead.

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care ;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

I do care!Β* I'm really enjoying the series.

Jill
Isn't it nice to see good acting and also a show that doesn't start
each episode with a gruesome murder?

Oh, I happen to like 'Father Brown', too.

Have you seen Murder in Paradise?Β* It's pretty good.

No, I haven't. As to the question about gruesome murders, the shows I
watch aren't particularly gruesome. They're whodunits.

Jill
Old 09-01-2019, 03:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I got tired of watching episodes of 'Victoria' on PBS and didn't
want to
start reading a new book.* I decided to bake some cornbread
instead.

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care ;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

I do care!* I'm really enjoying the series.

Jill
Isn't it nice to see good acting and also a show that doesn't start
each episode with a gruesome murder?

Oh, I happen to like 'Father Brown', too.

Have you seen Murder in Paradise? It's pretty good.

The new season of The Crown starts next week, as well. The 15th, IIRC.

Doris
Old 09-01-2019, 05:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 7:03 AM, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

wrote:

I got tired of watching episodes of 'Victoria' on PBS and didn't
want to
start reading a new book.Β* I decided to bake some cornbread
instead.

New episodes of Victoria start on the thirteenth. Um...if you care
;-)
It's a must see in our house.

leo

I do care!Β* I'm really enjoying the series.

Jill
Isn't it nice to see good acting and also a show that doesn't start
each episode with a gruesome murder?

Oh, I happen to like 'Father Brown', too.

Have you seen Murder in Paradise? It's pretty good.

Those are two of my favorite shows. I also like Midsomer Murders and the
Australian show Dr. Blake Mysteries.

BBC, and ABC (Australia BC) make some terrific shows and I appreciate PBS
making them available here.

Victoria, The Crown, and Midsomer Murders are commercial productions,
not made or broadcast by the BBC.

BBC is only one of numerous British TV producers and broadcasters. The
others are independent, commercial companies funded by advertisers sales
and investors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televi...gdom#Channels_
and_channel_owners

Janet UK

Does it really matter? The point is quality programming. Good writing,
good acting and - for me - the costumes! It's nice to be able to see
these shows in my little corner of the southern US.

Jill

Cornbread etc Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 78 23-01-2014 07:42 AM
Cornbread Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 5 30-12-2006 08:14 AM
Cornbread kilikini General Cooking 3 28-12-2006 08:35 PM
Cornbread Ken Davey General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 07:01 PM
CornBREAD Richard Crowley Baking 22 16-12-2005 06:53 AM