Old 19-01-2014, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornbread etc

i just downloaded a book called:

The Cornbread Bible
A recipe Storybook

by Jennifer Shambrook PhD

When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set

A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?

She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 19-01-2014, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 19:00:23 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

i just downloaded a book called:

The Cornbread Bible
A recipe Storybook

by Jennifer Shambrook PhD

When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set

A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?

She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

Use baking powder, use the proportions from any cornbread recipe.
I prefer using medium grind corn meal, I like gritty.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...let-cornbread/
Old 19-01-2014, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

God, why don't you shut the **** up?
Old 19-01-2014, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" wrote:

i just downloaded a book called:

The Cornbread Bible
A recipe Storybook

by Jennifer Shambrook PhD

When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set

A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?

She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising
cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
cornmeal.

Old 19-01-2014, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

i just downloaded a book called:

The Cornbread Bible
A recipe Storybook

by Jennifer Shambrook PhD

When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set

A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?

She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

Use baking powder, use the proportions from any cornbread recipe.
I prefer using medium grind corn meal, I like gritty.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...let-cornbread/

Thanks I'll have good look at that site.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 19-01-2014, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" wrote:

i just downloaded a book called:

The Cornbread Bible
A recipe Storybook

by Jennifer Shambrook PhD

When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set

A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?

She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup
self-rising
cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for
self-rising
cornmeal.

Thanks very much

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Old 19-01-2014, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" wrote:

On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" wrote:

i just downloaded a book called:

The Cornbread Bible
A recipe Storybook

by Jennifer Shambrook PhD

When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set

A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?

She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising
cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
cornmeal.

Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
"smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Old 19-01-2014, 09:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" wrote:

[...]

I haven't read much of it yet. I only got it a few hours ago and have only
looked through the recipes. What do you think of it in general?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 19-01-2014, 10:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" wrote:

[...]

I believe it is a "southern" thing, or at least regional. We have it here
in STL in some supermarkets, pretty much the same ones that have hock and
shanks and similar items. Though my grandmother never used it, preferring
coarse ground from the feed mill, self-rising cornmeal is what was sold in
my grandparents general store in 1950s Kentucky.
Old 20-01-2014, 04:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

IF you want to be baking the best cornbread, you will want to get your
cornmeal from a place that ground it recently and stored it gently and
briefly. Cornmeal that's been sitting in a warehouse in formidable temps for
years is not going to serve you well. Polly

Old 20-01-2014, 05:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:33:46 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" wrote:

I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
cornmeal.

Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
"smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

I haven't read much of it yet. I only got it a few hours ago and have only
looked through the recipes. What do you think of it in general?

I downloaded it because you mentioned it, but I've been "otherwise
occupied" today to now and haven't gotten any further.

BTW: The price for that Kindle book was " right", so I put it on my
cloud version of Kindle! Thank you for mentioning it. I am not good
about perusing the Kindle "deals" that come in daily.

Hope you still have that cornbread recipe I gave you, because it's
really delicious. I also have a cake recipe that calls for a
combination of cornmeal and flour, but I've ended up making something
else the last two times I thought I'd make it - so I can't vouch for
it yet.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Old 20-01-2014, 05:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 22:03:52 GMT, "l not -l" wrote:

On 19-Jan-2014, sf wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" wrote:

I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
cornmeal.

Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
"smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

I believe it is a "southern" thing, or at least regional. We have it here
in STL in some supermarkets, pretty much the same ones that have hock and
shanks and similar items. Though my grandmother never used it, preferring
coarse ground from the feed mill, self-rising cornmeal is what was sold in
my grandparents general store in 1950s Kentucky.

Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated! STL (St. Louis) is
centrally located and seems to reflect a little bit of everywhere.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Old 20-01-2014, 05:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:20:08 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:

On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" wrote:

She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the

Here plain and self-rising as well as white or yellow cornmeal is available. I use the yellow variety because it's personal preference and _always_ self-rising.
Old 20-01-2014, 10:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
IF you want to be baking the best cornbread, you will want to get your
cornmeal from a place that ground it recently and stored it gently and
briefly. Cornmeal that's been sitting in a warehouse in formidable temps
for years is not going to serve you well. Polly

LOL I should be so lucky!!! I live in UK. A local supermarket had a US
section for the first time last week. Quaker Cornmeal was on those shelves
and is the first I had ever seen.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 20-01-2014, 10:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
[...]

I have all the recipes I was given. Ahh I just realise I saved them without
names If you have yours handy again please be so kind as to post it again
because I am not sure which one was yours

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cornbread Pie Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 10-01-2007 10:13 PM
Cornbread Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 5 30-12-2006 07:14 AM
Cornbread kilikini General Cooking 3 28-12-2006 07:35 PM
Cornbread Ken Davey General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 06:01 PM
Cornbread - I wonder why? jmcquown General Cooking 74 29-08-2005 05:16 PM