Old 09-01-2019, 12:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Circulon pot quality

I use an 8" Fire King pie plate to make mac and cheese, I think it was made by Anchor Hocking.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Col, I have an Anchor Hocking microwave bacon tray, which has no equal, IMO. Bacon turns out
just as brown and crispy as it does from cast iron. I love it so much, I have a backup tucked away
I got on eBay. ;-))

N.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
On 1/8/2019 11:50 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

Notbob, there is another way to clean the polished stainless steel,
like the All-Clad frypan
my DIL was going to throw out because she let a silicone scraper melt
in the bottom.

I went out to the Harley-Davidson dealer and got a small supply of a
product that will take
melted rubber or a synthetic rubber-like substance off an exhaust pipe
(like if a rubber protective
pad from a cycle suit got up against a hot exhaust pipe).

It took a lot of elbow grease, but the scraper residue all came off.
And the finish looked like new,
and the pan is still as non-stick as it was originally.* Ta-dah!
Magic!* ;-))

An All Clad pan is worth fighting for.

Certainly true as All Clad is still being made in the US and not China!
All of my pans were made in Denmark, France or Italy. It's difficult to
find good bakeware these days that's not made in China but I have some
Chicago Metallic that is of superb quality.

I'm not into brands but will look for beautiful design and execution and appropriate construction. My brother asked me if I wanted some of his pans. I chose a beautiful stainless steel saucepan with a lid. It's well made with a flared rim rather than a rolled one and has a solid steel slug bonded somehow to the bottom. I wanted to make some sauce last night and when I turned the heat on, I got a big fat zero. My induction range sensed that pan as not existing. That's the breaks.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 08 Jan 2019 12:39:44p, Nancy Young told us...

I've never come across Chicago Metallic though I have heard of
them. I do have a couple of Nordicware sheet pans I like a lot.

Go here, Nancy. It's worth a look...

https://www.chicagometallicbakeware.com/

Looks nice. One of the cake pans looks like mine so I had to
go check, my 3 are USA PAN. They do a nice job.

nancy
Old 09-01-2019, 11:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

===

Yer just too modern ... ;p

Old 09-01-2019, 12:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 08 Jan 2019 10:46:41a, graham told us...

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

You can't beat Chicago Metallic for quality. All of my metal
bakeware is from Chicago Metallic. Nearly half of what I have was
bought by my mother back in the late 1930s. It seems to last
forever. The rest I bought. I have a few piees of tempered glass
and ceramic bakeware.

I don't really bake, but I've got four half sheet pans from
Lincoln/Vollrath/Wearever that I got at the food service supply.
They're indispensible for everything from baking cookies to
ferrying packs of soup or leftovers down to the freezer (top of
a fridge, not a deep freeze) in the basement.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

Probably a big aluminum slug bonded to the bottom, then. Maybe with a
little stainless on the outside for appearance.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 09-01-2019, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

There's "stainless" and "stainless". If a magnet will stick to it, then
induction will work. My older S/S pots wouldn't work with induction
whereas my newer ones will and have a symbol stamped on the base.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

Steel isn't all that good of a heat conductor. Pans frequently have
a disk of aluminum bonded to the bottom, optionally covered in a
thin layer of stainless. Regardless of the quality of the stainless steel,
the bottom of the pan is basically aluminum.

It would be interesting to know what brand dsi1 actually has.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 09-01-2019, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

Yes all my S/S pans are triple layered with Al. However, not all S/S is
magnetic, and it has to be to work with induction.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish. It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks. It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle. That's all there is.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 1:22:52 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
===

Yer just too modern ... ;p

Induction is the future of home cooking. You can take that to the bank. Hee hee. The good news is that they're making induction ready, non-stick steel frying pans. It had to find pans of that construction but the times they are a-changin'.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

It would be interesting but I don't know. You are right that steel and iron are poor conductors of heat. The dirty little secret of induction is that the pan heats up so fast the energy transfer is so localized that there's definite hot spots on the surface of the pan. That's the nature of the beast.. My wok is fairly thin so the effect is amplified but I love how my wok works with induction.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 dsi1 wrote:

The bottom does not appear to be aluminum and it quite hard. It has an interesting swirled finish.
It looks like it was hit with a large wire brush. There are no manufacture's marks.
It has "Made in France" in small letters inside the folded metal handle.

French pans are Faggot or Bi pans... like Greek style cookware....
whatever you do back up to a wall at a gyro joint.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , says...

On 2019-01-08 10:27 a.m., Nancy Young wrote:
[...]

My ss pans have a copper base.

Janet UK