General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 115
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

Since there's the raging debate over Calphalon (and All-Clad), I'd be
interested to know how you all feel about Circulon?

I have a large (12") Circulon frying pan that I have only used a few
times, but seems to work very well. My smaller frying pans are some
cheaper brand (Supreme?) and are wearing out. My plan it to replace
them with Circulon pans.

--
For email, use usenet-20060507[at]spamex[dot]com

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,727
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

LurfysMa wrote:
Since there's the raging debate over Calphalon (and All-Clad), I'd be
interested to know how you all feel about Circulon?

I have a large (12") Circulon frying pan that I have only used a few
times, but seems to work very well. My smaller frying pans are some
cheaper brand (Supreme?) and are wearing out. My plan it to replace
them with Circulon pans.


No idea about Circulon. I love my 35 year old copper clad Revere Ware
(although judging by the web site they don't sell copper clad anymore?!).
And Mom's Revere Ware is close to 60 years old and she's still happy with
it.

I have a couple of cheap non-stick pans I use for omelets and such. And
lots of cast iron which works on the stovetop/oven/grill. I'm happy without
stuff that is apparently touted by celebrity chefs on The Food Network (I
don't have cable so I don't really hear about all of it).

Jill


  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 229
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

In rec.food.cooking, LurfysMa wrote:
Since there's the raging debate over Calphalon (and All-Clad), I'd be
interested to know how you all feel about Circulon?



What is the debate about Calphalon?

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,965
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

LurfysMa wrote in
:

Since there's the raging debate over Calphalon (and All-Clad), I'd be
interested to know how you all feel about Circulon?

I have a large (12") Circulon frying pan that I have only used a few
times, but seems to work very well. My smaller frying pans are some
cheaper brand (Supreme?) and are wearing out. My plan it to replace
them with Circulon pans.



From CR's last review:

NON STICK

1 Kirkland Signature (Costco) Item 783634
CR Best Buy $150 14pc anodized aluminum
2 Anolon Titanium $300 10pc anodized aluminum/titanium
3 Anolon Advanced $200 8pc anodized aluminum
4 Emerilware $250 10pc anodized aluminum
5 Scanpan Classic 20203 $400 8pc aluminum/titanium
6 Wearever Excellence $100 8pc aluminum
7 Bialetti Fusion 45459 $50 9pc aluminum
8 Berndes Signo Classic 697101 $200 5pc aluminum
9 Circulon Elite $250 10pc anodized aluminum
10 Farberware Select Non-Stick $100 10pc enamel/aluminum
11 Calphalon One Infused Anodized Nonstick $480 8pc anodized aluminum
12 Cuisinart Chef's Classic Non-Stick 66-7 $100 7pc anodized aluminum
13 Calphalon Kitchen Essentials $150 8pc anodized aluminum
14 Cook's Essentials Stainless $100 10pc stainless steel/aluminum
15 Circulon Steel $150 8pc stainless steel/titanium
16 T-Fal Encore Hard Enamel $100 10pc enamel/aluminum
17 Calphalon Simply Calphalon $150 8pc anodized aluminum
18 Farberware Millennium Soft Touch Colors $150 10pc aluminum
19 T-Fal Perfection Hard Enamel $100 9pc enamel/aluminum
20 Nordic Ware Rangeware $100 8pc enamel/carbon steel/aluminum


MIXED Only frying pans are nonstick.
1 Calphalon Simply Calphalon $150 8pc stainless steel/aluminum
2 Wearever Cook & Strain $60 8pc stainless steel/aluminum


UNCOATED
1 KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials Brushed Stainless $150 10pc stainless
steel/aluminum
2 Calphalon Contemporary $400 8pc stainless steel
3 Emerilware Stainless $200 10pc stainless steel/aluminum/copper
4 Magnalite Classic $130 8pc aluminum
5 Member's Mark (Sam's Club) Tri-Ply-Clad Item 955462 $130 11pc stainless
steel/aluminum
6 J.A. Henckels Classic Clad $200 7pc stainless steel/aluminum
7 T-Fal Jamie Oliver Professional Stainless $150 9pc stainless
steel/aluminum
8 All-Clad Master Chef 2 700393 $320 7pc stainless steel/aluminum
9 Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 77-7 $100 7pc stainless steel
10 All-Clad Copper Core 6000-7SS $700 7pc stainless steel/copper
11 Wolfgang Puck Bistro Collection Stainless 690533 $200 20pc stainless
steel/aluminum
12 Farberware Millennium Soft Touch Stainless Steel $130 10pc stainless
steel/aluminum
13 Scanpan Fusion 5 $300 8pc stainless steel/aluminum
14 Daniel Boulud Kitchen (DBK) Generation Stainless Clad $350 11pc
stainless steel/carbon/copper/aluminum
15 Revere Copper Cuisine $60 7pc stainless steel/copper
16 Viking Professional Starter Set VSC1009 $565 5pc stainless steel


NONSTICK #7 also got a nod from CR.

Numbered by score in each category. Not including the details charts.
You'll have to pay $25/annual for the biggger picture web subscription.

I didn't see the Kirkland product listed at Costco's website. Must've
been a one-time special.

Andy

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 03:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,313
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?


"jmcquown" wrote in message
...
LurfysMa wrote:
Since there's the raging debate over Calphalon (and All-Clad), I'd be
interested to know how you all feel about Circulon?

I have a large (12") Circulon frying pan that I have only used a few
times, but seems to work very well. My smaller frying pans are some
cheaper brand (Supreme?) and are wearing out. My plan it to replace
them with Circulon pans.




I have written about Circulon before -- if you google Circulon under the
rfc, you probably can find it and maybe what others have written. Without
writing about it all again, one sentence: The food sticks in the circles -
for me. All but maybe 1 pan, I believe, i have discarded. That one I use
with a lot of oil only to brown something, but normally I will reach for
another pan if one is clean.
Dee Dee




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 31
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?


Andy wrote:
LurfysMa wrote in
:

Since there's the raging debate over Calphalon (and All-Clad), I'd be
interested to know how you all feel about Circulon?

I have a large (12") Circulon frying pan that I have only used a few
times, but seems to work very well. My smaller frying pans are some
cheaper brand (Supreme?) and are wearing out. My plan it to replace
them with Circulon pans.



From CR's last review:

NON STICK

1 Kirkland Signature (Costco) Item 783634
CR Best Buy $150 14pc anodized aluminum
2 Anolon Titanium $300 10pc anodized aluminum/titanium
3 Anolon Advanced $200 8pc anodized aluminum
4 Emerilware $250 10pc anodized aluminum
5 Scanpan Classic 20203 $400 8pc aluminum/titanium
6 Wearever Excellence $100 8pc aluminum
7 Bialetti Fusion 45459 $50 9pc aluminum
8 Berndes Signo Classic 697101 $200 5pc aluminum
9 Circulon Elite $250 10pc anodized aluminum
10 Farberware Select Non-Stick $100 10pc enamel/aluminum
11 Calphalon One Infused Anodized Nonstick $480 8pc anodized aluminum
12 Cuisinart Chef's Classic Non-Stick 66-7 $100 7pc anodized aluminum
13 Calphalon Kitchen Essentials $150 8pc anodized aluminum
14 Cook's Essentials Stainless $100 10pc stainless steel/aluminum
15 Circulon Steel $150 8pc stainless steel/titanium
16 T-Fal Encore Hard Enamel $100 10pc enamel/aluminum
17 Calphalon Simply Calphalon $150 8pc anodized aluminum
18 Farberware Millennium Soft Touch Colors $150 10pc aluminum
19 T-Fal Perfection Hard Enamel $100 9pc enamel/aluminum
20 Nordic Ware Rangeware $100 8pc enamel/carbon steel/aluminum


MIXED Only frying pans are nonstick.
1 Calphalon Simply Calphalon $150 8pc stainless steel/aluminum
2 Wearever Cook & Strain $60 8pc stainless steel/aluminum


UNCOATED
1 KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials Brushed Stainless $150 10pc stainless
steel/aluminum
2 Calphalon Contemporary $400 8pc stainless steel
3 Emerilware Stainless $200 10pc stainless steel/aluminum/copper
4 Magnalite Classic $130 8pc aluminum
5 Member's Mark (Sam's Club) Tri-Ply-Clad Item 955462 $130 11pc stainless
steel/aluminum
6 J.A. Henckels Classic Clad $200 7pc stainless steel/aluminum
7 T-Fal Jamie Oliver Professional Stainless $150 9pc stainless
steel/aluminum
8 All-Clad Master Chef 2 700393 $320 7pc stainless steel/aluminum
9 Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 77-7 $100 7pc stainless steel
10 All-Clad Copper Core 6000-7SS $700 7pc stainless steel/copper
11 Wolfgang Puck Bistro Collection Stainless 690533 $200 20pc stainless
steel/aluminum
12 Farberware Millennium Soft Touch Stainless Steel $130 10pc stainless
steel/aluminum
13 Scanpan Fusion 5 $300 8pc stainless steel/aluminum
14 Daniel Boulud Kitchen (DBK) Generation Stainless Clad $350 11pc
stainless steel/carbon/copper/aluminum
15 Revere Copper Cuisine $60 7pc stainless steel/copper
16 Viking Professional Starter Set VSC1009 $565 5pc stainless steel


NONSTICK #7 also got a nod from CR.

Numbered by score in each category. Not including the details charts.
You'll have to pay $25/annual for the biggger picture web subscription.

I didn't see the Kirkland product listed at Costco's website. Must've
been a one-time special.

Andy


I've been pretty happy with Anolon. We've a couple of pans (large
frying pan, small saute pan) from them; the first frying pan we had
lost some of its coating after about 18 months, so we called in the
lifetime guarantee and were given a new one. We've been using the new
one for a couple of years now, and it's as good as new.

Of course, there's the dishwasher problem - but Mr Weasel does all the
washing up, so you'll have to ask him about it!

For everything else I use Le Creuset (which is fine in the dishwasher),
or cheap Tefal non-stick bakeware, which I replace every couple of
years.

--
www.gastronomydomine.com

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,557
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

LurfysMa wrote:
Since there's the raging debate over Calphalon (and All-Clad), I'd be
interested to know how you all feel about Circulon?

I have a large (12") Circulon frying pan that I have only used a few
times, but seems to work very well. My smaller frying pans are some
cheaper brand (Supreme?) and are wearing out. My plan it to replace
them with Circulon pans.



I like my anodized Calphalon. I have one or two piece that I bought
cheap, and I never put them in the dishwasher. Other than that, I think
they are nearly indestructible and I like the way they cook. I would
never buy a set of them -- buy open-stock when a piece is discontinued
or something.

Bob
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,180
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?


LurfysMa wrote:
Since there's the raging debate over Calphalon (and All-Clad), I'd be
interested to know how you all feel about Circulon?


Circulon is Calphalon's ugly, Nascar-lovin' step sister. No
comparison.

-L.

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,780
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:13:20 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I love my 35 year old copper clad Revere Ware


LOL! That's the exact stuff I love to hate. I *hated* my mothers
copper clad Revereware and can't understand how "anyone" could like
it. I was brought up with that Revereware and *know* how hard it is
to cook with. Give me heavy bottomed pot & pans and I'm a happy
cooker.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,313
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?


"sf" wrote in message
...
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:13:20 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I love my 35 year old copper clad Revere Ware


LOL! That's the exact stuff I love to hate. I *hated* my mothers
copper clad Revereware and can't understand how "anyone" could like
it. I was brought up with that Revereware and *know* how hard it is
to cook with. Give me heavy bottomed pot & pans and I'm a happy
cooker.
--


AMEN!
My ex-DH (departed) bought these for our honeymoon cottage, telling me that
his mother had these pans and how she could really cook all the things he
liked. He taught me how to make roast beef using Reverware --
I still remember those pans -- I'll never forget them.
Dee Dee





  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-06-2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,780
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 16:41:05 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:


"sf" wrote in message
...
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:13:20 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I love my 35 year old copper clad Revere Ware


LOL! That's the exact stuff I love to hate. I *hated* my mothers
copper clad Revereware and can't understand how "anyone" could like
it. I was brought up with that Revereware and *know* how hard it is
to cook with. Give me heavy bottomed pot & pans and I'm a happy
cooker.
--


AMEN!
My ex-DH (departed) bought these for our honeymoon cottage, telling me that
his mother had these pans and how she could really cook all the things he
liked. He taught me how to make roast beef using Reverware --
I still remember those pans -- I'll never forget them.


LOL... it's the stuff dreams are made of (nightmares).
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2006, 04:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 99
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

LurfysMa wrote:
Since there's the raging debate over Calphalon (and All-Clad), I'd be
interested to know how you all feel about Circulon?

I have a large (12") Circulon frying pan that I have only used a few
times, but seems to work very well. My smaller frying pans are some
cheaper brand (Supreme?) and are wearing out. My plan it to replace
them with Circulon pans.


How can a frying pan wear out????

Do you mean the non-stick coating is wearing off? Is so, say so.

If you're using non-stick to begin with, then buy the cheapest damn pan
you can find, and replace it frequently. Otherwise, stick with a decent
stainless steel or cast iron pan and never have to replace it. The brand
really doesn't matter--expect to idiots that think brands are important.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2006, 02:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 229
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

In rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob wrote:

I like my anodized Calphalon. I have one or two piece that I bought
cheap, and I never put them in the dishwasher. Other than that, I think
they are nearly indestructible and I like the way they cook. I would
never buy a set of them -- buy open-stock when a piece is discontinued
or something.


I agree completely. I've got several pieces of anodized Calphalon that I
got cheap (like $20 each) on Amazon, because they were discontinued. They
cook well. They can be heated as much as necessary on the stovetop, and
they can go into the oven. They use stainless steel handles, and due to
the poor heat conduction of stainless, the handles stay cool. I think of
them as "honest" cookware - they are very simple, and the design and
materials are what make them work. They are just machined aluminum and
riveted-on stainless. Nothing fancy, nothing high tech, just simple,
honest industrial design.

I like them.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 9
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?


wrote:

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow


Just had to say GREAT sig!



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-06-2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,727
Default If not Calphalon, how about Circulon?

sf wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:13:20 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

I love my 35 year old copper clad Revere Ware


LOL! That's the exact stuff I love to hate. I *hated* my mothers
copper clad Revereware and can't understand how "anyone" could like
it. I was brought up with that Revereware and *know* how hard it is
to cook with. Give me heavy bottomed pot & pans and I'm a happy
cooker.


Sorry, but I adore my Revere Ware It's 35 years old and Mom's is close
to 60. Now I wouldn't buy the *new* stuff which is lightweight but the old
stuff is sturdy stainless and copper clad. They don't seem to sell the
copper stuff these days and it's more like aluminium than steel. But I love
this cookware. I'll use it until the the day I die

Jill




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circulon pan help! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 57 16-09-2012 05:51 PM
Circulon Steel and how to clean it Sugarite Cooking Equipment 6 17-01-2006 09:19 AM
Calphalon Commerical vs. Calphalon One -L. General Cooking 1 05-08-2005 01:09 PM
Calphalon Hard-Anodized vs Non-stick Calphalon Dee Randall Cooking Equipment 15 25-03-2005 01:46 PM
Anyone using Circulon non-stick? Michael L Kankiewicz General Cooking 1 04-02-2004 03:54 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017