Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread Success

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:

>> elsewhere >>> ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread
>> stales far >>> faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration
>> what they do >>> to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.

>> > Yup!
>> >
>> > Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as
>> > well but oddly last longer.
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
>> > half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

>> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
>> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
>> made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold
>> on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy
>> it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>
>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

> Umm, do you get bread at a bakery where you are? Here, those are rare
> side places and mostly selling sweets.
> ==
>
> No idea. I never look for them. As I said, I have been making my own
> since
> I was a teenager, but that doesn't mean there are no bakeries that other
> people like.

What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most likely
don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.

==

Ahh ok thanks I wouldn't know what our bakeries sell

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:35:30 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:

> >> elsewhere >>> ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread
> >> stales far >>> faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration
> >> what they do >>> to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.

> >> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
> >> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
> >> made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold
> >> on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
> >>
> >> Carol
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy
> >> it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
> >>
> >> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

> > Umm, do you get bread at a bakery where you are? Here, those are rare
> > side places and mostly selling sweets.
> > ==
> >
> > No idea. I never look for them. As I said, I have been making my own
> > since
> > I was a teenager, but that doesn't mean there are no bakeries that other
> > people like.

> What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most likely
> don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.
>
> ==
>
> Ahh ok thanks I wouldn't know what our bakeries sell

The Bothell Effect again. We have several bakeries where you
can buy bread and pastry.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:35:30 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:

> >> elsewhere >>> ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread
> >> stales far >>> faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration
> >> what they do >>> to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.

> >> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
> >> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
> >> made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold
> >> on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
> >>
> >> Carol
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy
> >> it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
> >>
> >> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

> > Umm, do you get bread at a bakery where you are? Here, those are rare
> > side places and mostly selling sweets.
> > ==
> >
> > No idea. I never look for them. As I said, I have been making my own
> > since
> > I was a teenager, but that doesn't mean there are no bakeries that other
> > people like.

> What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most
> likely
> don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.
>
> ==
>
> Ahh ok thanks I wouldn't know what our bakeries sell

The Bothell Effect again. We have several bakeries where you
can buy bread and pastry.

Cindy Hamilton

=

How do you work that out? She was just explaining what Carol had said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 10:15:10 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:35:30 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Julie Bove" wrote in message news > >
> >
> > "Ophelia" > wrote in message

> > > Umm, do you get bread at a bakery where you are? Here, those are rare
> > > side places and mostly selling sweets.
> > > ==
> > >
> > > No idea. I never look for them. As I said, I have been making my own
> > > since
> > > I was a teenager, but that doesn't mean there are no bakeries that other
> > > people like.

> > What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most
> > likely
> > don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Ahh ok thanks I wouldn't know what our bakeries sell

> The Bothell Effect again. We have several bakeries where you
> can buy bread and pastry.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> =
>
> How do you work that out? She was just explaining what Carol had said.

Not just Bothell, then. But scarcely universal. "Here" in
Julie's sentence, is not "the entire United States".

There are dozens of bakeries within driving distance that
make bread. I googled a sampling of metro areas and found
plenty more.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 22:31:35 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Cindy was talking about crap grocery store bread, so you immediately
>>> thought "My kinda bread!" At which point, I could have mentioned that
>>> it's probably one big science project.

>>My likes and dislikes in food have nothing to do with you so don't worry
>>about it, in fact if you lived next door you would never be invited to my
>>home at any rate. LOL

> I wonder how you'd react if you ever ate something without unnecessary
> additives. I bet you'd hate it. "Ewww, this doesn't taste of Walmart!"

I love Walmart and additives, what's it to you, or are you just a stalker of
my posts seeking my attention? LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 5:16:18 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

>> > I could, but I wouldn't. Most people would buy crap grocery store
>> > bread for $2.50 anyway.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh and if
>> you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.
>>
>> Cheri

> I mean Wonder Bread and the like.
>
> In any event, much grocery store bread baked in-house has dough
> conditioners and other garbage in it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love white
Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich with
Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 09:44:11 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 22:31:35 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>My likes and dislikes in food have nothing to do with you so don't worry
>>>about it, in fact if you lived next door you would never be invited to my
>>>home at any rate. LOL

>> I wonder how you'd react if you ever ate something without unnecessary
>> additives. I bet you'd hate it. "Ewww, this doesn't taste of Walmart!"
>>

>I love Walmart and additives, what's it to you, or are you just a stalker of
>my posts seeking my attention? LOL

You keep talking to me, so I keep replying. I'm very polite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 07:05:08 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:35:30 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >>
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>> > Umm, do you get bread at a bakery where you are? Here, those are rare
>> > side places and mostly selling sweets.
>> > ==
>> >
>> > No idea. I never look for them. As I said, I have been making my own
>> > since
>> > I was a teenager, but that doesn't mean there are no bakeries that other
>> > people like.

>> What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most likely
>> don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Ahh ok thanks I wouldn't know what our bakeries sell

>The Bothell Effect again. We have several bakeries where you
>can buy bread and pastry.

Real bakeries or bakery chains?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:15:01 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
>On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:35:30 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> >

>> What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most
>> likely don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Ahh ok thanks I wouldn't know what our bakeries sell

>The Bothell Effect again. We have several bakeries where you
>can buy bread and pastry.
>
>Cindy Hamilton
>
>=
>
>How do you work that out? She was just explaining what Carol had said.

And there is a difference between patisserie and boulangerie. Bakery
and cake shop in English? If you go to a traditional patisserie, you
won't be able to buy bread there. But, for instance, the often
Vietnamese bakeries that I see in Australia, sell both.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 09:44:11 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> I wonder how you'd react if you ever ate something without unnecessary
>>> additives. I bet you'd hate it. "Ewww, this doesn't taste of Walmart!"
>>>

>>I love Walmart and additives, what's it to you, or are you just a stalker
>>of
>>my posts seeking my attention? LOL

> You keep talking to me, so I keep replying. I'm very polite.

Actually, you talked to me first, I replied to your rude post with a rude
Bite me Bruce, so again I say...Bite me Bruce.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri > wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh and if
>>> you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I mean Wonder Bread and the like.
>>
>> In any event, much grocery store bread baked in-house has dough
>> conditioners and other garbage in it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love white
> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich with
> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>
> Cheri

Now that trifecta brings back some good memories! Wonder Bread also makes
the best nostalgic BLT (bacon, lettuce, & toast!).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
>On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:35:30 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> >

>> What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most
>> likely don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Ahh ok thanks I wouldn't know what our bakeries sell

>The Bothell Effect again. We have several bakeries where you
>can buy bread and pastry.
>
>Cindy Hamilton
>
>=
>
>How do you work that out? She was just explaining what Carol had said.

And there is a difference between patisserie and boulangerie. Bakery
and cake shop in English? If you go to a traditional patisserie, you
won't be able to buy bread there. But, for instance, the often
Vietnamese bakeries that I see in Australia, sell both.

==

Yes. I don't see them these days, but I guess i am not looking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
news
> Cheri > wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> I mean Wonder Bread and the like.
>>>
>>> In any event, much grocery store bread baked in-house has dough
>>> conditioners and other garbage in it.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love
>> white
>> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich
>> with
>> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Now that trifecta brings back some good memories! Wonder Bread also makes
> the best nostalgic BLT (bacon, lettuce, & toast!).

Another wonderful sandwich.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-03 10:46 a.m., Cheri wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> their

>>> slice >> > > > as

>>> that

>>> I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh and if
>>> you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I mean Wonder Bread and the like.
>>
>> In any event, much grocery store bread baked in-house has dough
>> conditioners and other garbage in it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love
> white Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna
> sandwich with Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>
> Cheri

Actually, very, very thick slices of that type of bread are essential
for a "Bacon Doorstep".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 7:47:41 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love white
> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich with
> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>
> Cheri

It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to obtain in the Western world. The good news is that many people don't have to worry about such things - about 9 million of them die of starvation every year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 10:45:04 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 7:47:41 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love white
>> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich with
>> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>>
>> Cheri

>It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to obtain in the Western world. The good news is that many people don't have to worry about such things - about 9 million of them die of starvation every year.

I'm trying to see the logic here. It's a problem that food is easy to
obtain. As a result Cheri loves crap food. I'm just not smart enough
to understand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 10:31:42 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 09:44:11 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>I love Walmart and additives, what's it to you, or are you just a stalker
>>>of my posts seeking my attention? LOL

>> You keep talking to me, so I keep replying. I'm very polite.

>Actually, you talked to me first, I replied to your rude post with a rude
>Bite me Bruce, so again I say...Bite me Bruce.

The chicken or the egg, but rude? I can hardly imagine!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 18:33:28 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:15:01 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>>On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:35:30 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>>> >
>>> What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most
>>> likely don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Ahh ok thanks I wouldn't know what our bakeries sell

>>The Bothell Effect again. We have several bakeries where you
>>can buy bread and pastry.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton
>>
>>=
>>
>>How do you work that out? She was just explaining what Carol had said.

>And there is a difference between patisserie and boulangerie. Bakery
>and cake shop in English? If you go to a traditional patisserie, you
>won't be able to buy bread there. But, for instance, the often
>Vietnamese bakeries that I see in Australia, sell both.
>
>==
>
>Yes. I don't see them these days, but I guess i am not looking.

I guess supermarkets are pushing out more and more specialist shops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 15:15:01 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>>On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:35:30 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>>> >
>>> What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most
>>> likely don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Ahh ok thanks I wouldn't know what our bakeries sell

>>The Bothell Effect again. We have several bakeries where you
>>can buy bread and pastry.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton
>>
>>=
>>
>>How do you work that out? She was just explaining what Carol had said.

>And there is a difference between patisserie and boulangerie. Bakery
>and cake shop in English? If you go to a traditional patisserie, you
>won't be able to buy bread there. But, for instance, the often
>Vietnamese bakeries that I see in Australia, sell both.
>
>==
>
>Yes. I don't see them these days, but I guess i am not looking.

I guess supermarkets are pushing out more and more specialist shops.

==

Yes, they do that here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 7:47:41 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love
>> white
>> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich
>> with
>> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>>
>> Cheri

> It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to obtain
> in the Western world. The good news is that many people don't have to
> worry about such things - about 9 million of them die of starvation every
> year.

==========

I hope SPAM never becomes hard to obtain, I love SPAM and use it often.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 10:45:04 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 7:47:41 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love
>>> white
>>> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich
>>> with
>>> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>>It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to obtain
>>in the Western world. The good news is that many people don't have to
>>worry about such things - about 9 million of them die of starvation every
>>year.

> I'm trying to see the logic here. It's a problem that food is easy to
> obtain. As a result Cheri loves crap food. I'm just not smart enough
> to understand.

Your idea of "crap" is not the same as mine, but I do know crappy posts when
I see them and yours have been at the top of the list for the past couple of
days. Unless you can come up with some positives in your posts I won't
respond further.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

==========

I hope SPAM never becomes hard to obtain, I love SPAM and use it often.

Cheri

==

In recipes? Or just for 'sandwich' type things??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 11:45:31 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 10:45:04 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>>It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to obtain
>>>in the Western world. The good news is that many people don't have to
>>>worry about such things - about 9 million of them die of starvation every
>>>year.

>> I'm trying to see the logic here. It's a problem that food is easy to
>> obtain. As a result Cheri loves crap food. I'm just not smart enough
>> to understand.

>Your idea of "crap" is not the same as mine, but I do know crappy posts when
>I see them and yours have been at the top of the list for the past couple of
>days. Unless you can come up with some positives in your posts I won't
>respond further.

Normally I don't harp on about something after I've posted an
ingredient list, for instance, but Gary had it coming. I forgot why,
but he'd been obnoxious recently
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 12:47:41 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> >> I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh and if
> >> you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > I mean Wonder Bread and the like.
> >
> > In any event, much grocery store bread baked in-house has dough
> > conditioners and other garbage in it.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love white
> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich with
> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>
> Cheri

I buy the equivalent every time I cook a turkey. Good bread
just isn't right for shoving up a turkey's butt. It's not
soft enough.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 1:12:36 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 07:05:08 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>

> >The Bothell Effect again. We have several bakeries where you
> >can buy bread and pastry.

> Real bakeries or bakery chains?

Real bakeries.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-03 1:31 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 09:44:11 -0800, "Cheri" >

>>> I love Walmart and additives, what's it to you, or are you just a
>>> stalker of
>>> my posts seeking my attention? LOL

>> You keep talking to me, so I keep replying. I'm very polite.

> Actually, you talked to me first, I replied to your rude post with a
> rude Bite me Bruce, so again I say...Bite me Bruce.

You would probably **** him off more if you filtered him or simply
ignored him. He lives for the attention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 7:47:41 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love
>>> white
>>> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich
>>> with
>>> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to obtain
>> in the Western world. The good news is that many people don't have to
>> worry about such things - about 9 million of them die of starvation every
>> year.

> ==========
>
> I hope SPAM never becomes hard to obtain, I love SPAM and use it often.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> In recipes? Or just for 'sandwich' type things??

I use it in many things, though I don't eat many sandwiches. I like it in
salads, I like it fried with eggs, I like it in veggies etc. In fact there
aren't too many ways I don't like it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 14:55:09 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-12-03 1:31 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 09:44:11 -0800, "Cheri" >

>>> You keep talking to me, so I keep replying. I'm very polite.

>> Actually, you talked to me first, I replied to your rude post with a
>> rude Bite me Bruce, so again I say...Bite me Bruce.

>You would probably **** him off more if you filtered him or simply
>ignored him. He lives for the attention.

That's true. It hurts me very much that Dave Smith has killfiled me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1> wrote in message
> > On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 7:47:41 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> >>
> >> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love
> >> white
> >> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich
> >> with
> >> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to obtain
> > in the Western world. The good news is that many people don't have to
> > worry about such things - about 9 million of them die of starvation every
> > year.

> ==========
>
> I hope SPAM never becomes hard to obtain, I love SPAM and use it often.
>
> Cheri

Lots of folks look down on Spam but it played an important and honorable role in WWII. For that, it deserves some respect, as does anything that helps keep us alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiVDmcucOf8
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 11:53:28 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 12:47:41 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>> > I mean Wonder Bread and the like.
>> >
>> > In any event, much grocery store bread baked in-house has dough
>> > conditioners and other garbage in it.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love white
>> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich with
>> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>>
>> Cheri

>I buy the equivalent every time I cook a turkey. Good bread
>just isn't right for shoving up a turkey's butt. It's not
>soft enough.

So you end up with a tortured industry turkey, filled with a science
project. Yumm!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 18:33:28 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>>And there is a difference between patisserie and boulangerie. Bakery
>>>and cake shop in English? If you go to a traditional patisserie, you
>>>won't be able to buy bread there. But, for instance, the often
>>>Vietnamese bakeries that I see in Australia, sell both.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Yes. I don't see them these days, but I guess i am not looking.

>> I guess supermarkets are pushing out more and more specialist shops.

>The biggest UK patisserie chain went bankrupt a few months ago.
>
>https://www.theguardian.com/business...ie-valerie-to-
>cease-trading-without-immediate-injection-of-capital

That's a shame.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-03 12:53 p.m., Pamela wrote:
> On 20:42 2 Dec 2018, Cindy Hamilton > wrote
> in :
>
>> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
>>> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
>>> made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold
>>> on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy
>>> it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>>
>>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

>> I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
>> bread.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> French Poilane bread sold in the UK used to cost a socking £10 a loaf.
> That's over $14 at the time. Mercifully it has come down in price.
>
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...give-us-their-
> daily-bread-at-10-a-loaf.html

But they are 2kg miches! I remember paying about 7 quid at the Belgravia
bakery not long after it opened.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 7:47:41 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I love
>>> white
>>> Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried bologna sandwich
>>> with
>>> Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to obtain
>> in the Western world. The good news is that many people don't have to
>> worry about such things - about 9 million of them die of starvation every
>> year.

> ==========
>
> I hope SPAM never becomes hard to obtain, I love SPAM and use it often.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> In recipes? Or just for 'sandwich' type things??

I use it in many things, though I don't eat many sandwiches. I like it in
salads, I like it fried with eggs, I like it in veggies etc. In fact there
aren't too many ways I don't like it.

Cheri

==

Interesting D. loves the stuff. I have fried it for him but I haven't
really thought of other ways to serve it.

Ideas would be very welcome)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-03 2:59 PM, Pamela wrote:
Yes. I don't see them these days, but I guess i am not looking.

>> I guess supermarkets are pushing out more and more specialist shops.

> The biggest UK patisserie chain went bankrupt a few months ago.
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/business...ie-valerie-to-
> cease-trading-without-immediate-injection-of-capital

Maybe I am getting good at sniffing our bakeries, but I think there have
been more opening up since the grocery stores started having in store
bakery departments. Personally, I don't like the bread they make in
most of them, and their pastries tend to be inferior to and more
expensive that real bakeries. I could be that the in store bakeries are
a notch above the usual commercial crap, and once people get a taste for
the the goods and accept the price, they go to the other places because
the products are better and cheaper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>

>>> It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to
>>> obtain in the Western world. The good news is that many people don't
>>> have to worry about such things - about 9 million of them die of
>>> starvation every year.

>> ==========
>>
>> I hope SPAM never becomes hard to obtain, I love SPAM and use it often.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> In recipes? Or just for 'sandwich' type things??

> I use it in many things, though I don't eat many sandwiches. I like it in
> salads, I like it fried with eggs, I like it in veggies etc. In fact there
> aren't too many ways I don't like it.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Interesting D. loves the stuff. I have fried it for him but I haven't
> really thought of other ways to serve it.
>
> Ideas would be very welcome)

Lots of ideas here

https://www.spam.com/recipes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 5:16:18 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> > said >> > > > elsewhere >> ... I know what goes into our food and
> > that my >> > > > bread stales far >> faster then bought stuff. I
> > take into >> > > > consideration what they do >> to their breads. I
> > prefer my >> > > > choice of ingredients.

> > their >> > > > >> choice and nothing wrong with that! Personal
> > choice is all) >> > > > >

> > do >> > > > > without attacking other posters for their choices at
> > every turn. >> > > > >

> > slice as >> > > > well but oddly last longer.

> > always >> > > > freeze half, I was just making a comparison with
> > bought breads. >> > >

> > when I >> > > started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was
> > in there that >> > > made it preserve so long on the counter. I
> > think you could dump >> > > mold on Wonderbread and the mold would
> > die.... >> > >

> > and >> > > enjoy it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.

> > loaf of >> > bread.

> > > I could, but I wouldn't. Most people would buy crap grocery store
> > > bread for $2.50 anyway.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh
> > and if you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.
> >
> > Cheri

> I mean Wonder Bread and the like.
>
> In any event, much grocery store bread baked in-house has dough
> conditioners and other garbage in it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

True of most grocery store bread, tht they have all sorts of extra
stuff. I don't knock grocery store bread totally, but I like better
what we make. I think the thing there on bread is it 'seems like it
takes forever' but reality, if you use a machine assist, it's apt to
take about 5 minutes of you actual time to turn out a decent simple
white.

It's all good if you like it, supermarket or not. I'm not trying to
change anyone but if I converse on recipes or foods, it's naturally
going to be what we cook and eat here. If my eating and cooking makes
me look sometimes a little vegetarian (we ain't) or a bit carb high (we
are but not fat at all) then lets just say I am a bit quirky but
harmless.

carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2018 08:20:33 +1100, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 12:42:20 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>>>I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
>>>bread.

>>That's the thing. Every town probably has a bakery where you can buy
>>real bread, but the price...

> I've not found the prices high for quality bakery bread... here $3-$4
> per 1 1/2 pound loaf... there are several national brands of baked
> goods that I think are way over priced, like Thomases English muffins,
> Lenders bagels, and all burger/hotdog buns.
> Some of the big super market chains here bake excellen from scratch
> breads on the premises fresh daily, only the nearest is twenty miles
> away, but if we happen to be in the area we'll stock up and freeze.

What happened to the price of English Muffins? They used to be cheap! Now
they're only cheap if you can find them at Dollar Tree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> said >>>> > > > elsewhere >> ... I know what goes into our food and
> that my >>>> > > > bread stales far >> faster then bought stuff. I
> take into >>>> > > > consideration what they do >> to their breads. I
> prefer my >>>> > > > choice of ingredients.

> their >>>> > > > >> choice and nothing wrong with that! Personal
> choice is >> > > > >> all) >>>> > > > >

> do >>>> > > > > without attacking other posters for their choices at
> every >> > > > > turn. >>>> > > > >

> slice >> > > > as >>>> > > > well but oddly last longer.

> always >>>> > > > freeze half, I was just making a comparison with
> bought breads. >>>> > >

> when I >>>> > > started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was
> in there that >>>> > > made it preserve so long on the counter. I
> think you could dump >>>> > > mold on Wonderbread and the mold would
> die.... >>>> > >

> and >>>> > > enjoy it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.

> loaf of >>>> > bread.

> > > I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh
> > > and if you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > I mean Wonder Bread and the like.
> >
> > In any event, much grocery store bread baked in-house has dough
> > conditioners and other garbage in it.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I
> love white Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my fried
> bologna sandwich with Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
>
> Cheri

LOL! Then enjoy! For me, 'Wonderbread' is forever ruined after years
of Sasebo Japan and it shipped in frozen from stateside and sold
frozen. THey didn't have any extra packaging so you'd often get a
frozen block home to find on defrosting it on the counter, it was
freezerburned.

Ick..

Real fresh wonderbread isn't terrible at all and ate it for a long time
before Japan. In Japan though, we got used to a more definate texture
and so the only bread I make that is like 'wonderbread' is one we call
'hunk bread'. (Grab a hunk off the loaf and slather with butter then
eat, often hot out of the machine). It;s really hard to slice evenly
when that soft.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 7:47:41 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> > >
> > > In any event one persons "garbage" is another persons treasure. I
> > > love white Wonder Bread and buy it once or so a year for my
> > > fried bologna sandwich with Miracle Whip. Mmmm good garbage.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy to
> > obtain in the Western world. The good news is that many people
> > don't have to worry about such things - about 9 million of them
> > die of starvation every year.

> ==========
>
> I hope SPAM never becomes hard to obtain, I love SPAM and use it
> often.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> In recipes? Or just for 'sandwich' type things??

Oh all sorts of things and I am with Cheri!

In a hurry last week, we hit a day or so with no lunch for me to take
to work. OOPS! Rice-a-roni and spam to the rescue! Don and Charlotte
had some for lunch then packed me 2 lunches with it and some canned
veggies to fill it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Cheri" wrote in message news > >

> > > It's the sign o'the times. The problem is that food is too easy
> > > to obtain in the Western world. The good news is that many
> > > people don't have to worry about such things - about 9 million
> > > of them die of starvation every year.

> > ==========
> >
> > I hope SPAM never becomes hard to obtain, I love SPAM and use it
> > often.
> >
> > Cheri
> >
> > ==
> >
> > In recipes? Or just for 'sandwich' type things??

> I use it in many things, though I don't eat many sandwiches. I like
> it in salads, I like it fried with eggs, I like it in veggies etc. In
> fact there aren't too many ways I don't like it.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Interesting D. loves the stuff. I have fried it for him but I
> haven't really thought of other ways to serve it.
>
> Ideas would be very welcome)

Well, she sent you many ideas in the next message. Heres mine and i am
sure others can add to it!

I mentioned with rice-a-roni. You have something like that where you
are but apt to be a different name. It's pretty much rice with bullion
and spices. Add water and set t simmer then cover and ready in about
20 minutes. Next time, add cubed spam as it cooks.

Add cubed spam to any type of greens where bacon or ham may be
suggested.

One of ours that I have no clue if it seems familiar in the UK or is
unique to USA cookery: 'Fried potatoes'. You saw me mention making
them twice this past week. Yup, add spam to them. These are just cut up
potatoes with some fat and onions. Adding spam works very well.

Cubed small, it works in eggs or as part of an omlette.

Juk/Congee/Rice Porridge, as as added item, supurb.

Success:) (Corn Bread) Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 25 19-10-2014 03:40 PM
Success! chimera[_3_] Sourdough 1 18-03-2007 06:11 PM
Another bread success BigJohn Sourdough 1 23-01-2006 05:46 PM
Success Sindir Preserving 20 01-11-2005 04:53 AM
First Success MarkS Barbecue 0 02-05-2005 12:25 PM