Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread Success

Ophelia wrote:

> "Bruce" wrote in message
> news >
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 21:27:13 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 15:41:37 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

> > > I generally use butter for sweet things, like coffee cakes. For
> > > everyday bread, generally avocado oil. I like walnut oil when I
> > > make rye bread. And yes, the fat, whether butter or oil, will
> > > definitely make it keep longer.

> > I've only used olive oil occasionally so far. I'm not sure if I can
> > taste whether I've added oil and which oil, but half a loaf takes
> > us 3 days to get through, so more shelf life would be good.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Pretty much the same here, so we freeze half the loaf.

> I always (well always, I only restarted recently) make 2 loaves at a
> time and freeze one and a half.
>
> ==
>
> Sounds as though that should be working pretty well

I pretty much make it every 3 days. Thats works around it all
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
> > I prefer to choose what I make us to eat. As I have said elsewhere
> > ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread stales far
> > faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration what they do
> > to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.
> >
> > I have no problem with what others like to eat, that is their
> > choice and nothing wrong with that! Personal choice is all)

> That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
> attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.
>
> Cheri

Yup!

Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as well
but oddly last longer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:12:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

> honey >>>>>>> whole

> there is >>>>>>> no

> > > Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these
> > > days.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > Few people bake anything these days, perhaps the occasional box
> > cake. Plus people are watching their weight, and it's a fact that
> > with home baked goods people eat three times as much.

> I haven't found that to be true with a lot of baking, cookies, cakes,
> pies etc. are made from scratch with most people I know. I don't know
> anyone who bakes all of their own bread in our circle.
>
> Cheri

Hi Cheri, there are the one off's always. I buy crackers but make our
bread. My daughter made cookies today but that's not a normal thing
and usually that baking cookie thing would be bought 'now and again'.

Munching cookies!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 01 Dec 2018 17:04:14 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>> In fact, when I see any advertising that shows a person kneading
>>> dough, I laugh.

>>Grin, I don't laugh but I do consider it something one does rarely and
>>for fun.
>>
>>Day in and day out types who make bread every 3 days or so, aren't
>>(IMHO) apt to be doing it all by hand and if they are, they are retired
>>or otherwise not working more likely than not. That doesnt mean some
>>of us don't do some level of 'hand made' at times. Just not normally.

> I must be Superman. I can work and knead dough all in one day! Yay!

Me too! Although when I worked, I was more likely to make bread on my day
off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 19:25:19 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Grin, I don't laugh but I do consider it something one does rarely and
>>>for fun.
>>>
>>>Day in and day out types who make bread every 3 days or so, aren't
>>>(IMHO) apt to be doing it all by hand and if they are, they are retired
>>>or otherwise not working more likely than not. That doesnt mean some
>>>of us don't do some level of 'hand made' at times. Just not normally.

>> I must be Superman. I can work and knead dough all in one day! Yay!

>Me too! Although when I worked, I was more likely to make bread on my day
>off.

I do it in 3 steps. Step 1 and 2 are very little work. Step 3 is where
the work is. I do that first thing after I get up. I can't be tired
yet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Jinx the Minx wrote:
>
> >Ophelia > wrote:
> > >

> >> "Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
> >> news.com...
> > >
> >> On 28 Nov 2018, Gary wrote
> >> (in article >):

> >whole >>> wheat bread that I normally make. And that's weird because
> >there is no >>> honey

> >> I have been baking my own bread for 25 years.
> > >
> >> In my experience, the dough needs to be as soft as possible, but
> >> just enough flour to stop it really sticking to your fingers.
> > >
> >> Flour on your hands will help.
> > >
> >> If the dough is hard to knead, then it will not rise as much as it
> >> should. Yeasts are not superhuman.
> > >
> >> ==
> > >
> >> My days of kneading my own dough are past. Arthritis in my
> >> shoulder and hands put paid to that I had been making my own
> >> since I was a teenager. These days it is either the machine or no
> >> knead bread. I won't buy bread though.
> > >

> > Depressing, isnt it? Ive made bread a few times, and always looked
> > to future days when Id have the time to make it more often, and
> > experiment making different types. Sadly, my bad hands took over
> > before I ever got that chance I had been waiting for. No kneading
> > for me, either.

> Thats why I use a bread machine. I am limited by what it does in some
> ways, but it works well. I've been making almost all our bread since
> 2001.
>
> I have about 35% reduction in feeling and strength in my right hand
> and 15% roughly same in left hand. Both are due to spinal issues. I
> really started making bread *after that*.
>
> Some people will tell you that 'unless you hand knead the bread' it
> doesnt count. Bull hocky. You can do just as fine at being happy
> with your own produced breads as anyone else. The recipies are a
> little different with a bread machine, but only due to a static rise
> time making that needed.
>
> I make no apologies for using a machine to do the parts I cannot.
>
> ==
>
> No reason why you should!

Nope! But you'd be surprised at how some feel about it.

==

No I wouldn't ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2018, Pamela wrote
> (in article >):
>
> > On 18:37 28 Nov 2018, Fruitiest of >
> > wrote in news.com:
> >
> > > On 28 Nov 2018, Bruce wrote
> > > (in >):

> > > Good heavens.
> > >
> > > In the UK I use Doves Farm
> > >
> > > Ingredients: wheatflour* (contains GLUTEN), ascorbic acid,
> > > statutory nutrients (calcium carbonate, iron, thiamine and
> > > niacin).
> > >
> > > Water
> > > Fat(a little)
> > > Sugar (a little)
> > > Salt (a little)

> > Excellent choice! You've just gone up a notch in my estimation.

> Well, I suppose that is something.
>
> I tend to make more rolls these days rather than loaves, because
> rolls can be frozen individually and taken out one by one, as and
> when we need them.
>
> The only drawback with that idea, is the lack of options to put in
> the toaster. Therefore I have experimented with making the occasional
> loaf, and slicing it before freezing - but as has been mentioned,
> getting slices of a decent thickness is trial and error.
>
> My wife makes a variety of jams, and I make a variety of pates
> because I try not to eat too much sugary food - therefore toast can
> be quite popular.

I used a slicer guide for ages to get even toaster things. The main
key was you need to let the bread get fully to room temp with most
types before making the first slice.

I have a real bread knife now and it's not a problem to freehand slice
evenly with it.

==

There are options you know;0

Here we have super option 1

https://adexa.co.uk/Bread-slicer-500...SABEgJmtPD_BwE

And here super option 2

https://iwantzone.com/products/folda...BEgJ lTfD_BwE

I am thinking of going for 2)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Cheri wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
> > I prefer to choose what I make us to eat. As I have said elsewhere
> > ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread stales far
> > faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration what they do
> > to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.
> >
> > I have no problem with what others like to eat, that is their
> > choice and nothing wrong with that! Personal choice is all)

> That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
> attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.
>
> Cheri

Yup!

Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as well
but oddly last longer.
==

Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze half, I
was just making a comparison with bought breads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message speaking of using a
machine to knead bread

> "cshenk" wrote in message

> Nope! But you'd be surprised at how some feel about it.
>
> ==
>
> No I wouldn't ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

>> honey >>>>>>> whole

>> there is >>>>>>> no

>> > Few people bake anything these days, perhaps the occasional box
>> > cake. Plus people are watching their weight, and it's a fact that
>> > with home baked goods people eat three times as much.

>> I haven't found that to be true with a lot of baking, cookies, cakes,
>> pies etc. are made from scratch with most people I know. I don't know
>> anyone who bakes all of their own bread in our circle.
>>
>> Cheri

> Hi Cheri, there are the one off's always. I buy crackers but make our
> bread. My daughter made cookies today but that's not a normal thing
> and usually that baking cookie thing would be bought 'now and again'.
>
> Munching cookies!

I love making crackers but they're so good they don't last long.

I made cinnamon rolls last night. Corn muffins today. Angela wanted brownies
so I made those too. Using the oven is working well for me. Gives enough
heat to take the chill off. I haven't had to put the heat on much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
>
> > On 28 Nov 2018, Pamela wrote
> > (in article >):
> >
> >> On 18:37 28 Nov 2018, Fruitiest of >
> >> wrote in

> news.com:

> that >> > > > with butter is a very tasty treat.

> >> Excellent choice! You've just gone up a notch in my estimation.

> > Well, I suppose that is something.
> >
> > I tend to make more rolls these days rather than loaves, because
> > rolls can be frozen individually and taken out one by one, as and
> > when we need them.
> >
> > The only drawback with that idea, is the lack of options to put in
> > the toaster. Therefore I have experimented with making the
> > occasional loaf, and slicing it before freezing - but as has been
> > mentioned, getting slices of a decent thickness is trial and error.
> >
> > My wife makes a variety of jams, and I make a variety of pates
> > because I try not to eat too much sugary food - therefore toast can
> > be quite popular.

> I used a slicer guide for ages to get even toaster things. The main
> key was you need to let the bread get fully to room temp with most
> types before making the first slice.
>
> I have a real bread knife now and it's not a problem to freehand slice
> evenly with it.
>
> ==
>
> There are options you know;0
>
> Here we have super option 1

https://adexa.co.uk/Bread-slicer-500...SABEgJmtPD_BwE

> And here super option 2

https://iwantzone.com/products/folda...BEgJ lTfD_BwE

> I am thinking of going for 2)

LOL, I go option 2 also. In fact, I have one close to that. It's a bit
longer and every other 'tine' is a bit taller for Texas Toast cuts
(thats a thicker slice).

What I have sporadically looked for is one with adjustable side widths.
That would be handy here.

Today's bread for the beginning of the week is a white with Italian
seasoning and olive oil for the fats. Deep crust and soft inside.
Easy slicing sort for PB&J things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Cheri wrote:
>
> >"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >
> >> I prefer to choose what I make us to eat. As I have said elsewhere
> >> ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread stales far
> >> faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration what they do
> >> to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.
> > >
> >> I have no problem with what others like to eat, that is their
> >> choice and nothing wrong with that! Personal choice is all)

> > That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
> > attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.
> >
> > Cheri

> Yup!
>
> Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as well
> but oddly last longer.
> ==
>
> Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
> half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that made
it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold on
Wonderbread and the mold would die....

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Cheri wrote:

> >>honey >>>>>>> whole
> >>there is >>>>>>> no

> that >>>>>>>> with butter is a very tasty treat.

> > > I haven't found that to be true with a lot of baking, cookies,
> > > cakes, pies etc. are made from scratch with most people I know. I
> > > don't know anyone who bakes all of their own bread in our circle.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > Hi Cheri, there are the one off's always. I buy crackers but make
> > our bread. My daughter made cookies today but that's not a normal
> > thing and usually that baking cookie thing would be bought 'now and
> > again'.
> >
> > Munching cookies!

> I love making crackers but they're so good they don't last long.
>
> I made cinnamon rolls last night. Corn muffins today. Angela wanted
> brownies so I made those too. Using the oven is working well for me.
> Gives enough heat to take the chill off. I haven't had to put the
> heat on much.

It's warmed up here today so no need for the fireplace to take the
morning chill off. That will change here in a few weeks.

I never got the hang of crackers but would like to see your recipe?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
> >
> > > On 28 Nov 2018, Pamela wrote
> > > (in article >):

> > news.com:

> > the >> > > > > honey whole wheat bread that I normally make. And
> > that's >> > > > > weird because there is no honey

> > that >> > > > with butter is a very tasty treat.

> > monoglycerides, >> > > mono and diglycerides, distilled
> > monoglycerides, calcium >> > > peroxide, calcium iodate, datem,
> > ethoxylated mono and >> > > diglycerides, enzymes, ascorbic acid),
> > cultured wheat flour, >> > > vinegar, calcium sulfate, yeast food
> > (ammonium sulfate), >> > > monocalcium phosphate, soy lecithin,
> > calcium carbonate." >> > >

> > > Well, I suppose that is something.
> > >
> > > I tend to make more rolls these days rather than loaves, because
> > > rolls can be frozen individually and taken out one by one, as and
> > > when we need them.
> > >
> > > The only drawback with that idea, is the lack of options to put in
> > > the toaster. Therefore I have experimented with making the
> > > occasional loaf, and slicing it before freezing - but as has been
> > > mentioned, getting slices of a decent thickness is trial and
> > > error.
> > >
> > > My wife makes a variety of jams, and I make a variety of pates
> > > because I try not to eat too much sugary food - therefore toast
> > > can be quite popular.

> > I used a slicer guide for ages to get even toaster things. The main
> > key was you need to let the bread get fully to room temp with most
> > types before making the first slice.
> >
> > I have a real bread knife now and it's not a problem to freehand
> > slice evenly with it.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > There are options you know;0
> >
> > Here we have super option 1

https://adexa.co.uk/Bread-slicer-500...SABEgJmtPD_BwE

> > And here super option 2

https://iwantzone.com/products/folda...BEgJ lTfD_BwE

> > I am thinking of going for 2)

> LOL, I go option 2 also. In fact, I have one close to that. It's a
> bit longer and every other 'tine' is a bit taller for Texas Toast cuts
> (thats a thicker slice).
>
> What I have sporadically looked for is one with adjustable side
> widths. That would be handy here.
>
> Today's bread for the beginning of the week is a white with Italian
> seasoning and olive oil for the fats. Deep crust and soft inside.
> Easy slicing sort for PB&J things.

Oh, shifted the bread. I had some buttermilk that needed using up.
Still an Italian spice blend but now a softer bread. I'll decide later
but probably 1 1lb loaf and several small buns.

Added some whisky smoked black pepper and chives after first knead.
Thiase will stay to the exterior and make an interesting contrast to
the flavor of the crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Cheri wrote:
>
> >"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >
> >> I prefer to choose what I make us to eat. As I have said elsewhere
> >> ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread stales far
> >> faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration what they do
> >> to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.
> > >
> >> I have no problem with what others like to eat, that is their
> >> choice and nothing wrong with that! Personal choice is all)

> > That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
> > attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.
> >
> > Cheri

> Yup!
>
> Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as well
> but oddly last longer.
> ==
>
> Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
> half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that made
it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold on
Wonderbread and the mold would die....

Carol

==

I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy it.
I am sure it isn't all so bad.

I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Cheri wrote:

> > > That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
> > > attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > Yup!
> >
> > Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as well
> > but oddly last longer.
> > ==
> >
> > Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
> > half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that made
> it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold on
> Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>
> Carol
>
> ==
>
> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy it.
> I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>
> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
bread.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Cheri wrote:

> > > That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
> > > attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > Yup!
> >
> > Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as well
> > but oddly last longer.
> > ==
> >
> > Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
> > half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that made
> it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold on
> Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>
> Carol
>
> ==
>
> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy it.
> I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>
> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
bread.

Cindy Hamilton

==

Whatever, it is all a matter of choice, as I said)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Cheri wrote:

> elsewhere >>> ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread
> stales far >>> faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration
> what they do >>> to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.

> >> That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
> >> attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.
> > >
> >> Cheri

> > Yup!
> >
> > Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as
> > well but oddly last longer.
> > ==
> >
> > Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
> > half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
> made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold
> on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>
> Carol
>
> ==
>
> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy
> it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>
> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

Umm, do you get bread at a bakery where you are? Here, those are rare
side places and mostly selling sweets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Cheri wrote:

> elsewhere >>> ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread
> stales far >>> faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration
> what they do >>> to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.

> >> That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
> >> attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.
> > >
> >> Cheri

> > Yup!
> >
> > Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as
> > well but oddly last longer.
> > ==
> >
> > Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
> > half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
> made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold
> on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>
> Carol
>
> ==
>
> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy
> it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>
> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

Umm, do you get bread at a bakery where you are? Here, those are rare
side places and mostly selling sweets.
==

No idea. I never look for them. As I said, I have been making my own since
I was a teenager, but that doesn't mean there are no bakeries that other
people like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 12:42:20 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
>> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that made
>> it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold on
>> Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy it.
>> I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>
>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

>I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
>bread.

That's the thing. Every town probably has a bakery where you can buy
real bread, but the price...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:

> > > elsewhere >> ... I know what goes into our food and that my
> > > bread stales far >> faster then bought stuff. I take into
> > > consideration what they do >> to their breads. I prefer my
> > > choice of ingredients.

> > > Yup!
> > >
> > > Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as
> > > well but oddly last longer.
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always
> > > freeze half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

> > Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
> > started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
> > made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump
> > mold on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
> >
> > Carol
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and
> > enjoy it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
> >
> > I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

> I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
> bread.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Especialy when you can make it for less than 1$ generally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:

>> > Yup!
>> >
>> > Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as well
>> > but oddly last longer.
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
>> > half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

>> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
>> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that made
>> it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold on
>> Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy it.
>> I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>
>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

> I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
> bread.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

We don't use a lot of bread anymore, but supermarket bread is fine for us
when we do. I usually buy rye bread.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-02 2:20 p.m., Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 12:42:20 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
>>> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that made
>>> it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold on
>>> Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy it.
>>> I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>>
>>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

>> I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
>> bread.

> That's the thing. Every town probably has a bakery where you can buy
> real bread, but the price...

Once in a while it's nice to treat oneself to a loaf that was baked in a
professional oven. As good as the crust on my loaves is, I never quite
match that from some bakeries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 13:26:17 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
>>> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that made
>>> it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold on
>>> Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy it.
>>> I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>>
>>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

>> I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
>> bread.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>We don't use a lot of bread anymore, but supermarket bread is fine for us
>when we do. I usually buy rye bread.
>
>Cheri

There are several very good small commercial bakeries here that supply
the local markets within perhaps a 100 mile radius... the bread and
prices are good, typically $3-$4 per loaf depending on variety. They
deliver to the market in town twice a week (Mon/Thur) so the bread is
fresh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 4:22:46 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> > > Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
> > > started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
> > > made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump
> > > mold on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
> > >
> > > Carol
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and
> > > enjoy it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
> > >
> > > I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

> > I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
> > bread.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Especialy when you can make it for less than 1$ generally.

I could, but I wouldn't. Most people would buy crap grocery store
bread for $2.50 anyway.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 4:22:46 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
>> > bread.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> Especialy when you can make it for less than 1$ generally.

> I could, but I wouldn't. Most people would buy crap grocery store
> bread for $2.50 anyway.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh and if
you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 14:55:45 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-12-02 2:20 p.m., Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 12:42:20 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
>>> bread.

>> That's the thing. Every town probably has a bakery where you can buy
>> real bread, but the price...
>>

>Once in a while it's nice to treat oneself to a loaf that was baked in a
>professional oven. As good as the crust on my loaves is, I never quite
>match that from some bakeries.

Definitely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 14:15:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>>> Especialy when you can make it for less than 1$ generally.

>> I could, but I wouldn't. Most people would buy crap grocery store
>> bread for $2.50 anyway.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh and if
>you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.

I guess I'm not supposed to mention ingredients at this point?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2018 08:20:33 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 12:42:20 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
>>> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that made
>>> it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold on
>>> Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy it.
>>> I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>>
>>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

>>I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
>>bread.

>That's the thing. Every town probably has a bakery where you can buy
>real bread, but the price...

I've not found the prices high for quality bakery bread... here $3-$4
per 1 1/2 pound loaf... there are several national brands of baked
goods that I think are way over priced, like Thomases English muffins,
Lenders bagels, and all burger/hotdog buns.
Some of the big super market chains here bake excellen from scratch
breads on the premises fresh daily, only the nearest is twenty miles
away, but if we happen to be in the area we'll stock up and freeze.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-12-02 3:42 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy it.
>> I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>
>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

> I have, but not everybody wants to pay $6.79 for a 2-pound loaf of
> bread.

My brother is pretty frugal and one of his splurges used to be in-store
baked bread. He was paying $2 a loaf for it. I encouraged him to try
the bakery where I get my bread. Sure, the bread was twice the price,
but the loaves were bigger and heavier. He eventually tried it and has
become a regular customer.

The corner bakery coffee shop charges $6 for a loaf and their bread is
amazing. I will buy it if there are enough people coming to use it up.
I don't eat much bread and my wife rarely eats it, so it's not worth it
if it is going to be around for a week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 14:15:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> I could, but I wouldn't. Most people would buy crap grocery store
>>> bread for $2.50 anyway.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>>I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh and if
>>you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.

> I guess I'm not supposed to mention ingredients at this point?

How would you know the ingredients of bread made in individual independent
bakeries?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Some of the big super market chains here bake excellen from scratch
> breads on the premises fresh daily, only the nearest is twenty miles
> away, but if we happen to be in the area we'll stock up and freeze.

At my supermarkets too.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 15:09:46 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh and if
>>>you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.

>> I guess I'm not supposed to mention ingredients at this point?

>How would you know the ingredients of bread made in individual independent
>bakeries?

Cindy was talking about crap grocery store bread, so you immediately
thought "My kinda bread!" At which point, I could have mentioned that
it's probably one big science project.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 15:10:46 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>
>> Some of the big super market chains here bake excellen from scratch
>> breads on the premises fresh daily, only the nearest is twenty miles
>> away, but if we happen to be in the area we'll stock up and freeze.

>At my supermarkets too.
>
>Cheri

Here that would be Price Chopper.... 20 miles north or south of us but
great baked products.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 15:09:46 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I guess I'm not supposed to mention ingredients at this point?

>>How would you know the ingredients of bread made in individual independent
>>bakeries?

> Cindy was talking about crap grocery store bread, so you immediately
> thought "My kinda bread!" At which point, I could have mentioned that
> it's probably one big science project.

My likes and dislikes in food have nothing to do with you so don't worry
about it, in fact if you lived next door you would never be invited to my
home at any rate. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 22:31:35 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 15:09:46 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>How would you know the ingredients of bread made in individual independent
>>>bakeries?

>> Cindy was talking about crap grocery store bread, so you immediately
>> thought "My kinda bread!" At which point, I could have mentioned that
>> it's probably one big science project.

>My likes and dislikes in food have nothing to do with you so don't worry
>about it, in fact if you lived next door you would never be invited to my
>home at any rate. LOL

I wonder how you'd react if you ever ate something without unnecessary
additives. I bet you'd hate it. "Ewww, this doesn't taste of Walmart!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 5:16:18 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

> >> Especialy when you can make it for less than 1$ generally.

> > I could, but I wouldn't. Most people would buy crap grocery store
> > bread for $2.50 anyway.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I don't know why you call it crap, it comes out of the oven fresh and if
> you're lucky you get it while it's still warm.
>
> Cheri

I mean Wonder Bread and the like.

In any event, much grocery store bread baked in-house has dough
conditioners and other garbage in it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> > Cheri wrote:

>> that >>>>>>>> with butter is a very tasty treat.

>> > Hi Cheri, there are the one off's always. I buy crackers but make
>> > our bread. My daughter made cookies today but that's not a normal
>> > thing and usually that baking cookie thing would be bought 'now and
>> > again'.
>> >
>> > Munching cookies!

>> I love making crackers but they're so good they don't last long.
>>
>> I made cinnamon rolls last night. Corn muffins today. Angela wanted
>> brownies so I made those too. Using the oven is working well for me.
>> Gives enough heat to take the chill off. I haven't had to put the
>> heat on much.

> It's warmed up here today so no need for the fireplace to take the
> morning chill off. That will change here in a few weeks.
>
> I never got the hang of crackers but would like to see your recipe?

Here's one.

http://www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen....freaking-easy/

Here's another but I used a docking tool to prick.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and...make-crackers/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:

>> elsewhere >>> ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread
>> stales far >>> faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration
>> what they do >>> to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.

>> > Yup!
>> >
>> > Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as
>> > well but oddly last longer.
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
>> > half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

>> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
>> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
>> made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold
>> on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy
>> it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>
>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

> Umm, do you get bread at a bakery where you are? Here, those are rare
> side places and mostly selling sweets.

We don't have too many bakeries around any more. Most are specialty such as
gluten or peanut free and most specialize in sweets. I can't see anyone
going to a bakery for bread these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:

>> elsewhere >>> ... I know what goes into our food and that my bread
>> stales far >>> faster then bought stuff. I take into consideration
>> what they do >>> to their breads. I prefer my choice of ingredients.

>> > Yup!
>> >
>> > Oh and Ophelia, Buttermilk breads are softer and may not slice as
>> > well but oddly last longer.
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Oh I don't mind how long the bread lasts, as I said, I always freeze
>> > half, I was just making a comparison with bought breads.

>> Yes then, I think that is the first thing I really noticed when I
>> started making my own. I wondered what odd stuff was in there that
>> made it preserve so long on the counter. I think you could dump mold
>> on Wonderbread and the mold would die....
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I am sure there are good bakeries or people wouldn't buy it and enjoy
>> it. I am sure it isn't all so bad.
>>
>> I guess you just have to find the right bakery for you

> Umm, do you get bread at a bakery where you are? Here, those are rare
> side places and mostly selling sweets.
> ==
>
> No idea. I never look for them. As I said, I have been making my own
> since
> I was a teenager, but that doesn't mean there are no bakeries that other
> people like.

What she is saying is that when you do find a bakery here, they most likely
don't sell bread. They sell cookies, cakes, stuff like that.

Success:) (Corn Bread) Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 25 19-10-2014 03:40 PM
Success! chimera[_3_] Sourdough 1 18-03-2007 05:11 PM
Another bread success BigJohn Sourdough 1 23-01-2006 04:46 PM
Success Sindir Preserving 20 01-11-2005 03:53 AM
First Success MarkS Barbecue 0 02-05-2005 12:25 PM