Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread Success

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:18:44 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 21:57:11 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>>
>>On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 20:44:20 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Never mind! We can manage what we want As I said, I use a bread
>>>machine
>>>for the kneading or I make 'no knead 'stuff'
>>>
>>>And when I am having problems, letting the machine do all the work, isn't
>>>the end of the world! At least it isn't 'bought stuff' and we know
>>>everything that is in it )
>>>
>>>We might not please the purists but what the heck! Wait till they get
>>>arthritis LOL

>>The ingredients are pure, so it's pure
>>
>>==
>>
>>It is what I hope
>>
>>I know you don't eat meat, but I stunned someone today when I told them I
>>cook a large lump of gammon, so I can make sliced ham for D's sandwiches LOL

>Couldn't you ask the gammon monger to slice it for you or do you have
>your own slicer?

Ask the butcher to debone and tie it... without the bone it's easy
peasy to slice.... and save the bone for stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:31:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"graham" > wrote in message
>news
>> On 2018-11-28 8:42 a.m., Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
>>> On 28 Nov 2018, Gary wrote
>>> (in article >):

>>> I have been baking my own bread for 25 years.
>>>
>>> In my experience, the dough needs to be as soft as possible, but just
>>> enough
>>> flour to stop it really sticking to your fingers.
>>>
>>> Flour on your hands will help.
>>>
>>> If the dough is hard to knead, then it will not rise as much as it
>>> should.
>>> Yeasts are not superhuman.
>>>

>> Rye doughs are different though. They are sticky at "normal" levels of
>> hydration.

>I still think it was a combination of too thick molasses and too much AP
>Flour.

did you follow the recipe or make it up as you went along? The
molasses isn't the problem. It is the nature of rye dough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:46:32 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
anews.com...

>On 29 Nov 2018, Ophelia wrote
>(in article >):
>

>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 07:45:18 -0000, >
>> wrote:
>>

>> > "Bruce" wrote in message

>> > Couldn't you ask the gammon monger to slice it for you or do you have
>> > your own slicer?
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > We have a slicer. I need one! I am not the best slicer in the world<g>

>> Me neither. I try to slice our bread thin, but somehow only one side
>> always ends up thin.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> LOL You have been copying me!!! I do that too!!
>>
>> This is my slicer:
>>
>> https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7078372?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:480-3
>> 16-7430|cid:199888833|agid:17471076873|tidla-371198913314|crid:74692319553|n
>> w:g|rnd:922057835283090336|dvc:c|adp:1o2|mt:|loc:1 007315&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6ur
>> XyaP53gIV6rDtCh2m0Aw1EAQYAiABEgI4APD_BwE
>>
>> I hadn't thought of using it to slice my bread but then it isn't really
>> big
>> enough to take a loaf.

>I have one of those. It is ok, but I have trouble keeping the blade clean.
>
>I worry that tiny bits will end up harbouring bacteria in crevices I cannot
>reach and the next time I use it, those will be left on the first few
>slices.
>
>I have never tried slicing bread on it though, just meats.
>==
>
>Aye, same here. I agree it is a good slicer, but it takes ages to clean it.
>I just use it when I have a lot to do. D. isn't bad at slicing, but when it
>is a lot like the big gammon I cooked, it is good to have.

Cut a large roast in half longitudinally, then it has a large flat
base to rest upon to steady it making it a lot easier to slice... and
steady it with your hand, not a fork... and what matter if you end up
with half slices for sandwiches... even plated makes no difference.
And more importantly you may need a better knife... stainless steel
knives can't be made sharp enough, use a carbon steel knife and keep
it well steeled.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Nov 2018, Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:24:58 -0000, >
> wrote:
>

> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 07:45:18 -0000, >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > We have a slicer. I need one! I am not the best slicer in the world <g>

> > Me neither. I try to slice our bread thin, but somehow only one side
> > always ends up thin.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > LOL You have been copying me!!! I do that too!!
> >
> > This is my slicer:
> >
> > https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7078372?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:480
> > -316-7430|cid:199888833|agid:17471076873|tidla-371198913314|crid:746923195
> > 53|nw:g|rnd:922057835283090336|dvc:c|adp:1o2|mt:|l oc:1007315&gclid=EAIaIQobC
> > hMI6urXyaP53gIV6rDtCh2m0Aw1EAQYAiABEgI4APD_BwE
> >

> > I hadn't thought of using it to slice my bread but then it isn't really big
> > enough to take a loaf.

> Well, since you're the baker, maybe you could make half loaves and set
> the machine to "Slab" instead of "Slice"? (I saw that in one of the
> pictures.)
>
> ==
>
> Slab?? Oh? I never noticed. Mine doesn't have that. It is quite old now
> and that must a new modern feature. Fruity? Does yours have that?

No, not that I can find.

I can get it down to a very thin slice setting though which I find useful for
the grandchildrens sandwiches.

The only other problems I find with it, is the loud noise it makes and the
fact that the spinning blade could be dangerous if my fingers slipped.

> Or I could just bake smaller loaves <g> I don't always allow the loaves to
> bake in the machine

My old bread machine had a heavy paddle at the bottom which became embedded
in the loaf as it baked. On trying to lever it out of the finished product,
it tended to bring a whole chunk of loaf with it - which annoyed me.

For a time I used it on the dough setting and baked the bread in the oven,
but eventually I abandoned it altogether and went back to doing the whole
process by hand.

But then fortunately, I am not (yet) an arthritis sufferer. My theory is that
regular kneading might help keep any chance of that at bay.

> Anyway, I don't eat enough bread to worry about really. D. seems happy
> with what he slices

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:36:28 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 02:28:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>At least I think so! Two mistakes that I might have made were that the
>>>room
>>>was likely too cool. I have no heat on. I did set the dough on top of the
>>>stove but did not get quite the amount of rise I expected. However, the
>>>resulting loaves look exactly like the picture with the recipe. So maybe
>>>it
>>>should be that way. And I think I added a bit too much AP flour. I started
>>>with the lower amount of flour but wound up having to add a bit of water
>>>as
>>>I kneaded it because rather than it being a soft dough, it was very thick
>>>and hard to work with. Or maybe the molasses was the culprit. It was so
>>>thick it would barely pour out.

>> snip
>>
>> How did you measure the AP flour? Did you scoop? Or did you stir the
>> flour and gently spoon the flour into the measuring device? If you
>> scoop you can overload your measure by 25% due to compaction. You can
>> put the rising loaves in the oven to rise. Put a wooden spoon handle
>> between the oven door and the oven body so that a gap of about 1+ inch
>> is created. The oven light will warm the oven interior to help the
>> dough rise. Do not close the oven door as it can get too warm with
>> the light on.
>> Janet US

>I don't even own a wooden spoon. I didn't scoop. I poured it from a very
>small bag of flour.

So the AP flour that you think was the problem was in a very small bag
of flour?
The molasses was thick because, as you said, your kitchen was cold.
Cold molasses like cold honey is very thick. It measures the same
whether it is cold or warm.
I'm sure you could figure out a work around to having no wooden spoon
if you wanted to

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
anews.com...

>On 29 Nov 2018, Ophelia wrote
>(in article >):
>

>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 07:45:18 -0000, >
>> wrote:
>>

>> > "Bruce" wrote in message

>> > Couldn't you ask the gammon monger to slice it for you or do you have
>> > your own slicer?
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > We have a slicer. I need one! I am not the best slicer in the world<g>

>> Me neither. I try to slice our bread thin, but somehow only one side
>> always ends up thin.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> LOL You have been copying me!!! I do that too!!
>>
>> This is my slicer:
>>
>> https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7078372?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:480-3
>> 16-7430|cid:199888833|agid:17471076873|tidla-371198913314|crid:74692319553|n
>> w:g|rnd:922057835283090336|dvc:c|adp:1o2|mt:|loc:1 007315&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6ur
>> XyaP53gIV6rDtCh2m0Aw1EAQYAiABEgI4APD_BwE
>>
>> I hadn't thought of using it to slice my bread but then it isn't really
>> big
>> enough to take a loaf.

>I have one of those. It is ok, but I have trouble keeping the blade clean.
>
>I worry that tiny bits will end up harbouring bacteria in crevices I cannot
>reach and the next time I use it, those will be left on the first few
>slices.
>
>I have never tried slicing bread on it though, just meats.
>==
>
>Aye, same here. I agree it is a good slicer, but it takes ages to clean
>it.
>I just use it when I have a lot to do. D. isn't bad at slicing, but when
>it
>is a lot like the big gammon I cooked, it is good to have.

Cut a large roast in half longitudinally, then it has a large flat
base to rest upon to steady it making it a lot easier to slice... and
steady it with your hand, not a fork... and what matter if you end up
with half slices for sandwiches... even plated makes no difference.
And more importantly you may need a better knife... stainless steel
knives can't be made sharp enough, use a carbon steel knife and keep
it well steeled.

===

Yes, D. does cut it in half as you describe. He is very good with a knife,
but it was a rather large joint of gammon I roasted and the electric slicer
made for easier work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Fruitiest of Fruitcakes" wrote in message
news.com...

On 29 Nov 2018, Ophelia wrote
(in article >):

> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:24:58 -0000, >
> wrote:
>

> > "Bruce" wrote in message
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 07:45:18 -0000, >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > We have a slicer. I need one! I am not the best slicer in the world
> > > <g>

> > Me neither. I try to slice our bread thin, but somehow only one side
> > always ends up thin.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > LOL You have been copying me!!! I do that too!!
> >
> > This is my slicer:
> >
> > https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7078372?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:480
> > -316-7430|cid:199888833|agid:17471076873|tidla-371198913314|crid:746923195
> > 53|nw:g|rnd:922057835283090336|dvc:c|adp:1o2|mt:|l oc:1007315&gclid=EAIaIQobC
> > hMI6urXyaP53gIV6rDtCh2m0Aw1EAQYAiABEgI4APD_BwE
> >

> > I hadn't thought of using it to slice my bread but then it isn't really
> > big
> > enough to take a loaf.

> Well, since you're the baker, maybe you could make half loaves and set
> the machine to "Slab" instead of "Slice"? (I saw that in one of the
> pictures.)
>
> ==
>
> Slab?? Oh? I never noticed. Mine doesn't have that. It is quite old now
> and that must a new modern feature. Fruity? Does yours have that?

No, not that I can find.

I can get it down to a very thin slice setting though which I find useful
for
the grandchildrens sandwiches.

The only other problems I find with it, is the loud noise it makes and the
fact that the spinning blade could be dangerous if my fingers slipped.

I haven't had that problem .. yet! it is getting a bit ancient.
Sounds like you need a newer one for safety!

> Or I could just bake smaller loaves <g> I don't always allow the loaves
> bake in the machine

My old bread machine had a heavy paddle at the bottom which became embedded
in the loaf as it baked. On trying to lever it out of the finished product,
it tended to bring a whole chunk of loaf with it - which annoyed me.

That sometimes happens to me. I am thinking to try greasing it to
see if it makes it better.

For a time I used it on the dough setting and baked the bread in the oven,
but eventually I abandoned it altogether and went back to doing the whole
process by hand.

I often do that! Bread baked in the oven is much nicer, but
sometimes ...

But then fortunately, I am not (yet) an arthritis sufferer. My theory is
that
regular kneading might help keep any chance of that at bay.

Fingers crossed!!! Good luck and I hope you never need to
do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:29:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

> >> Interesting because lately I've been buying (and enjoying)
> >> 'Nature's Own' Honey Wheat Bread. Just a toasted piece of that
> >> with butter is a very tasty treat.
> >>
> >> Anyway, congrats on your bread victory!

> >I've tried that brand. Just doesn't do it for me.

> Anybody who likes that bread has their taste buds built in back to
> front.

Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:29:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>> >I've tried that brand. Just doesn't do it for me.

>> Anybody who likes that bread has their taste buds built in back to
>> front.

> Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
> seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 12:13:05 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:29:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> >> Anybody who likes that bread has their taste buds built in back to
> >> front.

> > Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
> > seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

> Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.
>
> Cheri

Yep. I'm off to the bakery in about 10 minutes to buy a loaf.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:12:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:29:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Anybody who likes that bread has their taste buds built in back to
>>> front.

>> Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
>> seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

>Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.
>
>Cheri

Few people bake anything these days, perhaps the occasional box cake.
Plus people are watching their weight, and it's a fact that with home
baked goods people eat three times as much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:51:08 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:24:58 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>Well, since you're the baker, maybe you could make half loaves and set
>the machine to "Slab" instead of "Slice"? (I saw that in one of the
>pictures.)
>
>==
>
>Slab?? Oh? I never noticed. Mine doesn't have that. It is quite old now
>and that must a new modern feature. Fruity? Does yours have that?
>
>Or I could just bake smaller loaves <g> I don't always allow the loaves to
>bake in the machine
>
>Anyway, I don't eat enough bread to worry about really. D. seems happy
>with what he slices

We don't have a slicer. I'd like to have one of those machines that
bakeries have. You put a whole loaf in and take a sliced loaf out. But
space and price wise that's probably overkill for the home baker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:52:29 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 10:22:28 +0000, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
> wrote:
>
>>On 28 Nov 2018, Pamela wrote
>>(in article >):
>>
>>> On 18:37 28 Nov 2018, Fruitiest of > wrote
>>> in news.com:

>>> Excellent choice! You've just gone up a notch in my estimation.

>>Well, I suppose that is something.
>>
>>I tend to make more rolls these days rather than loaves, because rolls can
>>be
>>frozen individually and taken out one by one, as and when we need them.

>Exactly what I was thinking lately. A loaf is such a loaf, a loaf!
>
>==
>
>Are you going all weird on us again? ;p

I'm not aware of having done that before. But I was thinking of making
small rolls, the size of 2 slices of bread. Easy to take out of the
freezer individually and no handling of a whole frozen loaf. My other
plan is individually frozen sourdough pizza bottoms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:15:52 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:29:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>> >I've tried that brand. Just doesn't do it for me.

>> Anybody who likes that bread has their taste buds built in back to
>> front.

>Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
>seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

I would have commented on anyone who came up with that bread. But the
fact that it was you, was an extra motivator, that's true. It's action
and reaction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 22:29:50 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Anybody who likes that bread has their taste buds built in back to
>>> front.

>> Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
>> seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

>Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.

Definitely, but beats me why anyone would buy Gary's frankenbread.
Even supermarkets sell better bread than that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:19:17 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 12:13:05 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

>> > Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
>> > seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

>> Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.
>>
>> Cheri

>Yep. I'm off to the bakery in about 10 minutes to buy a loaf.

If you can't pronounce the ingredients, pick another one!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:21:20 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:12:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:

>>> Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
>>> seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

>>Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.
>>
>>Cheri

>Few people bake anything these days, perhaps the occasional box cake.
>Plus people are watching their weight, and it's a fact that with home
>baked goods people eat three times as much.

With home baked goods, people know what goes in them. They can leave
out the unnecessary sugar, for instance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:24:58 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>Well, since you're the baker, maybe you could make half loaves and set
>the machine to "Slab" instead of "Slice"? (I saw that in one of the
>pictures.)
>
>==
>
>Slab?? Oh? I never noticed. Mine doesn't have that. It is quite old now
>and that must a new modern feature. Fruity? Does yours have that?
>
>Or I could just bake smaller loaves <g> I don't always allow the loaves to
>bake in the machine
>
>Anyway, I don't eat enough bread to worry about really. D. seems happy
>with what he slices

We don't have a slicer. I'd like to have one of those machines that
bakeries have. You put a whole loaf in and take a sliced loaf out. But
space and price wise that's probably overkill for the home baker.

==

I can't argue with that, but they are huge!!! Now if I had a HUGE kitchen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 10:22:28 +0000, Fruitiest of Fruitcakes
> wrote:
>
>>On 28 Nov 2018, Pamela wrote
>>(in article >):
>>
>>> On 18:37 28 Nov 2018, Fruitiest of > wrote
>>> in news.com:

>>> Excellent choice! You've just gone up a notch in my estimation.

>>Well, I suppose that is something.
>>
>>I tend to make more rolls these days rather than loaves, because rolls can
>>be
>>frozen individually and taken out one by one, as and when we need them.

>Exactly what I was thinking lately. A loaf is such a loaf, a loaf!
>
>==
>
>Are you going all weird on us again? ;p

I'm not aware of having done that before. But I was thinking of making
small rolls, the size of 2 slices of bread. Easy to take out of the
freezer individually and no handling of a whole frozen loaf. My other
plan is individually frozen sourdough pizza bottoms.

==

All sounds good to me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message news
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:21:20 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:12:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:

>>> Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
>>> seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

>>Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.
>>
>>Cheri

>Few people bake anything these days, perhaps the occasional box cake.
>Plus people are watching their weight, and it's a fact that with home
>baked goods people eat three times as much.

With home baked goods, people know what goes in them. They can leave
out the unnecessary sugar, for instance.

==

I prefer to choose what I make us to eat. As I have said elsewhere ... I
know what goes into our food and that my bread stales far faster then bought
stuff. I take into consideration what they do to their breads. I prefer my
choice of ingredients.

I have no problem with what others like to eat, that is their choice and
nothing wrong with that! Personal choice is all)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 18:30:42 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:51:08 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:24:58 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Bruce" wrote in message
>>>

>>Well, since you're the baker, maybe you could make half loaves and set
>>the machine to "Slab" instead of "Slice"? (I saw that in one of the
>>pictures.)
>>
>>==
>>
>>Slab?? Oh? I never noticed. Mine doesn't have that. It is quite old now
>>and that must a new modern feature. Fruity? Does yours have that?
>>
>>Or I could just bake smaller loaves <g> I don't always allow the loaves to
>>bake in the machine
>>
>>Anyway, I don't eat enough bread to worry about really. D. seems happy
>>with what he slices

>We don't have a slicer. I'd like to have one of those machines that
>bakeries have. You put a whole loaf in and take a sliced loaf out. But
>space and price wise that's probably overkill for the home baker.
>
>==
>
>I can't argue with that, but they are huge!!! Now if I had a HUGE kitchen

Yes, I also can't see you travel with it between the two places where
you live
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:51:08 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:24:58 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Bruce" wrote in message
>>>

>>Well, since you're the baker, maybe you could make half loaves and set
>>the machine to "Slab" instead of "Slice"? (I saw that in one of the
>>pictures.)
>>
>>==
>>
>>Slab?? Oh? I never noticed. Mine doesn't have that. It is quite old
>>now
>>and that must a new modern feature. Fruity? Does yours have that?
>>
>>Or I could just bake smaller loaves <g> I don't always allow the loaves
>>bake in the machine
>>
>>Anyway, I don't eat enough bread to worry about really. D. seems happy
>>with what he slices

>We don't have a slicer. I'd like to have one of those machines that
>bakeries have. You put a whole loaf in and take a sliced loaf out. But
>space and price wise that's probably overkill for the home baker.
>
>==
>
>I can't argue with that, but they are huge!!! Now if I had a HUGE kitchen

Yes, I also can't see you travel with it between the two places where
you live
==

heh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 12:13:05 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

>> > Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
>> > seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

>> Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.
>>
>> Cheri

> Yep. I'm off to the bakery in about 10 minutes to buy a loaf.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I only make my own bread at home for special occasions these days. I like
bakery bread, and some supermarket breads just fine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:12:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
>>> seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

>>Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.
>>
>>Cheri

> Few people bake anything these days, perhaps the occasional box cake.
> Plus people are watching their weight, and it's a fact that with home
> baked goods people eat three times as much.

I haven't found that to be true with a lot of baking, cookies, cakes, pies
etc. are made from scratch with most people I know. I don't know anyone who
bakes all of their own bread in our circle.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:21:20 -0500, wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:12:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
>>wrote:

>>>Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>>Few people bake anything these days, perhaps the occasional box cake.
>>Plus people are watching their weight, and it's a fact that with home
>>baked goods people eat three times as much.

> With home baked goods, people know what goes in them. They can leave
> out the unnecessary sugar, for instance.

You're beating a dead horse, if the supermarket mix stuff wasn't wildly
popular, it wouldn't be there. Bake for yourself and yours, and really,
don't worry about what others are doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvpNnzW75k

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:12:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> Bruce's latest anti-Gary comment immediately followed by 2-3
>>> seconds of 'canned laughter' recording of audience chuckling.

>>Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.

> Definitely, but beats me why anyone would buy Gary's frankenbread.
> Even supermarkets sell better bread than that.

Where do you think Gary got the Nature's Own bread if not the supermarket.
People should buy what they want, eat what they want etc. without some
posters attacking them at ever turn. You don't have to like or approve of
their choices, but the constant nagging and belittling like some crotchety
old man gets annoying. Just take care of your own food choices howabout?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> I prefer to choose what I make us to eat. As I have said elsewhere ... I
> know what goes into our food and that my bread stales far faster then
> bought stuff. I take into consideration what they do to their breads. I
> prefer my choice of ingredients.
>
> I have no problem with what others like to eat, that is their choice and
> nothing wrong with that! Personal choice is all)

That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:45:38 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:21:20 -0500, wrote:

>>>Few people bake anything these days, perhaps the occasional box cake.
>>>Plus people are watching their weight, and it's a fact that with home
>>>baked goods people eat three times as much.

>> With home baked goods, people know what goes in them. They can leave
>> out the unnecessary sugar, for instance.

>You're beating a dead horse, if the supermarket mix stuff wasn't wildly
>popular, it wouldn't be there. Bake for yourself and yours, and really,
>don't worry about what others are doing.

All I'm saying is that Sheldon's wrong as usual. When you make things
from scratch, you'll consume less fat and sugar, unless you
deliberately put it in yourself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:45:38 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> With home baked goods, people know what goes in them. They can leave
>>> out the unnecessary sugar, for instance.

>>You're beating a dead horse, if the supermarket mix stuff wasn't wildly
>>popular, it wouldn't be there. Bake for yourself and yours, and really,
>>don't worry about what others are doing.

> All I'm saying is that Sheldon's wrong as usual. When you make things
> from scratch, you'll consume less fat and sugar, unless you
> deliberately put it in yourself.

But Sheldon was saying...a person eats three times as much so not much
savings calorie wise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:55:08 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
>> I prefer to choose what I make us to eat. As I have said elsewhere ... I
>> know what goes into our food and that my bread stales far faster then
>> bought stuff. I take into consideration what they do to their breads. I
>> prefer my choice of ingredients.
>>
>> I have no problem with what others like to eat, that is their choice and
>> nothing wrong with that! Personal choice is all)

>That's one of the nice things about you, you do what you do without
>attacking other posters for their choices at every turn.

I think the American Constitution (hand on heart, lighters out,
national anthem please) should contain a clause that Gary has the
right to eat frankenbread if the paint fumes make him want to do that.
Personal freedom, you know?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:00:07 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:45:38 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>You're beating a dead horse, if the supermarket mix stuff wasn't wildly
>>>popular, it wouldn't be there. Bake for yourself and yours, and really,
>>>don't worry about what others are doing.

>> All I'm saying is that Sheldon's wrong as usual. When you make things
>> from scratch, you'll consume less fat and sugar, unless you
>> deliberately put it in yourself.

>But Sheldon was saying...a person eats three times as much so not much
>savings calorie wise.

I don't believe that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:53:16 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:12:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.

>> Definitely, but beats me why anyone would buy Gary's frankenbread.
>> Even supermarkets sell better bread than that.

>Where do you think Gary got the Nature's Own bread if not the supermarket.

Duh.

>People should buy what they want, eat what they want etc. without some
>posters attacking them at ever turn.

I'll be the judge of that.

> You don't have to like or approve of
>their choices, but the constant nagging and belittling like some crotchety
>old man gets annoying. Just take care of your own food choices howabout?

Why are you trying to police what I say? How about you worry about
your posts and I worry about mine?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 11:42:42 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:12:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Certainly a whole lot more people buy bread than make it these days.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> Few people bake anything these days, perhaps the occasional box cake.
>> Plus people are watching their weight, and it's a fact that with home
>> baked goods people eat three times as much.

>I haven't found that to be true with a lot of baking, cookies, cakes, pies
>etc. are made from scratch with most people I know. I don't know anyone who
>bakes all of their own bread in our circle.

Your circle... the same people who meet at McDonalds for coffee?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2018 2:56 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 19:30:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:

>> Oil or butter, depending on the recipe.

> Oil then, most of the time.

I generally use butter for sweet things, like coffee cakes. For everyday
bread, generally avocado oil. I like walnut oil when I make rye bread.
And yes, the fat, whether butter or oil, will definitely make it keep
longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2018 3:00 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>> All I'm saying is that Sheldon's wrong as usual. When you make things
>> from scratch, you'll consume less fat and sugar, unless you
>> deliberately put it in yourself.

> But Sheldon was saying...a person eats three times as much so not much
> savings calorie wise.

And Sheldon is NEVER wrong...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 15:41:37 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 11/29/2018 2:56 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 19:30:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> Oil or butter, depending on the recipe.

>> Oil then, most of the time.
>>

>I generally use butter for sweet things, like coffee cakes. For everyday
>bread, generally avocado oil. I like walnut oil when I make rye bread.
>And yes, the fat, whether butter or oil, will definitely make it keep
>longer.

I've only used olive oil occasionally so far. I'm not sure if I can
taste whether I've added oil and which oil, but half a loaf takes us 3
days to get through, so more shelf life would be good.

Success:) (Corn Bread) Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 25 19-10-2014 03:40 PM
Success! chimera[_3_] Sourdough 1 18-03-2007 05:11 PM
Another bread success BigJohn Sourdough 1 23-01-2006 04:46 PM
Success Sindir Preserving 20 01-11-2005 03:53 AM
First Success MarkS Barbecue 0 02-05-2005 12:25 PM