Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The "perfect" shepherd's pie - Recipe

Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green lentils.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ment-114903529

http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message news
Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green lentils.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ment-114903529

http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy

==

It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make Cottage
pie. He likes that better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make Cottage
> pie. He likes that better.

I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(

I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
a food processor?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 9:29:13 AM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make Cottage
> > pie. He likes that better.

> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>
> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
> a food processor?

I have a grinder attachment for my kitchen aid, but pulsing in a food processor works great. I do that more often than not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2018 12:29 PM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make Cottage
>> pie. He likes that better.

> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>
> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
> a food processor?

Or just cut it into bite-sized cubes. There's no law that says it must
be ground.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make Cottage
> pie. He likes that better.

I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(

I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
a food processor?

==

Will that not make it into a paste?

I think i would rather dice it very small before I cooked it.

(or splash out and treat yourself to a mincer <g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 12:29:34 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make Cottage
>> pie. He likes that better.

>I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
>buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
>that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>
>I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
>a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>a food processor?

cut the beef in cubes, make sure the beef is very cold, almost stiff
from the freezer, pulse somewhere between 11 and 13 times. Use your
judgment.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 8:47:14 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green lentils.
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ment-114903529
>
> http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy

What in sam hill are "floury potatoes"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 10:35:35 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 8:47:14 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>>
>> Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green lentils.
>>
>> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ment-114903529
>>
>> http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy
>>

>What in sam hill are "floury potatoes"?

similar to Idaho potatoes -- non-waxy potatoes.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 16:39:13 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"graham" wrote in message news >
>Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green lentils.
>
>https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ment-114903529
>
>http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy
>
>==
>
>It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make Cottage
>pie. He likes that better.

The snowflake is lucky to have such a subservient wifey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 9:29:13 AM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:
>> >
>> > It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make
>> > Cottage
>> > pie. He likes that better.

>> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
>> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
>> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>>
>> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>> a food processor?

> I have a grinder attachment for my kitchen aid, but pulsing in a food
> processor works great. I do that more often than not.

Same here.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make
>> Cottage
>> pie. He likes that better.

> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>
> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
> a food processor?
>
> ==
>
> Will that not make it into a paste?

No, not if you pulse it, and not for long.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 3:47:14 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green lentils.
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ment-114903529
>
> http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy

That's a good, informative, article on this dish. I've never made something like that. It sounds very interesting. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make
>> Cottage
>> pie. He likes that better.

> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>
> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
> a food processor?
>
> ==
>
> Will that not make it into a paste?

No, not if you pulse it, and not for long.

Cheri

==

OK thanks. Not something I have ever tried)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make
>>> Cottage
>>> pie. He likes that better.

>> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
>> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
>> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>>
>> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>> a food processor?
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Will that not make it into a paste?

> No, not if you pulse it, and not for long.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> OK thanks. Not something I have ever tried)

You have to pulse it for a very short time so it's chunky otherwise it's
nasty. )

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make
>>> Cottage
>>> pie. He likes that better.

>> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
>> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
>> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>>
>> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>> a food processor?
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Will that not make it into a paste?

> No, not if you pulse it, and not for long.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> OK thanks. Not something I have ever tried)

You have to pulse it for a very short time so it's chunky otherwise it's
nasty. )

Cheri

==

Hmmmm. I think I will stick to my mincer )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
>>> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
>>> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>>>
>>> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>>> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
>>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>>> a food processor?
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Will that not make it into a paste?

>> No, not if you pulse it, and not for long.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> OK thanks. Not something I have ever tried)

> You have to pulse it for a very short time so it's chunky otherwise it's
> nasty. )
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Hmmmm. I think I will stick to my mincer )

No reason not to do what works for you.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 14:06:42 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 19 Apr 2018 06:47:11a, graham told us...
>
>> Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green
>> lentils.
>>
>> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...the-perfect-sh
>> epherds-pie-recipe-felicity-cloake#comment-114903529
>>
>> http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy

>I've never followed a recipe to make either shepherd's pie or cottage
>pie. Afer havng eaten cottage pie several times years ago, I simply
>cobbled a recipe toether to make one, and we liked it. One caveat
>is that we don't ever use lamb. We like lamb in other forms; e.g.
>chops, roast, leg of lamb, etc., but have never cared for it minced
>or in small dice or bits, so we have always used beef.
>
>The recipe you pointed to looks really good, and except for substting
>beef mince for lamb, I will definitely make this. It looks
>delicious!

I like stuffed peppers using minced lamb.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
>>> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
>>> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>>>
>>> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>>> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
>>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>>> a food processor?
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Will that not make it into a paste?

>> No, not if you pulse it, and not for long.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> OK thanks. Not something I have ever tried)

> You have to pulse it for a very short time so it's chunky otherwise it's
> nasty. )
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Hmmmm. I think I will stick to my mincer )

No reason not to do what works for you.

Cheri

==

Indeed I was just curious as to how it worked in a food processor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> I like stuffed peppers using minced lamb

No doubt good but I like them fine with ground beef.
I really love the taste of lamp cooked like a steak so
it would be hard for me to sacrific that for minced
in another dish. Only because I rarely buy lamb and
stick to the tried and true.

Bet you ground lamb burgers would be good too.
On my bucket list is ground ribeye steak for a
burger. My grocery would grind some for free if I
wanted that but the rare times I buy ribeye, I just
hate to turn a nice steak into a few hamburgers.

As recently mentioned, I'm going to do this with an 11oz
strip steak this week but using my small food processor.
Just give it a few pulses to mince but not turn into
mush.

I'll make a small cottage pie with this but I'll use a small
bit to try a burger too just to see how it tastes.
I did buy some ground sirloin at a specialty store
for burgers once and they were very superior to regular
ground beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Indeed I was just curious as to how it worked in a food processor

I plan to try this within a few days...maybe even tomorrow. I'll
let you know what I think of pulsed and chopped beef vs ground.
Just guessing in advance, I don't forsee any problem with this
method other than the pain in the ass to clean the processor
blades later.

Last time I cleaned it, those super sharp blades got me twice
with finger cuts even though I was trying so hard to be careful.
Dishwasher might be a good call to clean them. I even looked
later for an old long-bristle baby bottle brush but these blades
probably would have laughed and cut off all the bristles. heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-20 8:06 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 19 Apr 2018 06:47:11a, graham told us...
>
>> Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green
>> lentils.
>>
>> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...the-perfect-sh
>> epherds-pie-recipe-felicity-cloake#comment-114903529
>>
>> http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy

> I've never followed a recipe to make either shepherd's pie or cottage
> pie. Afer havng eaten cottage pie several times years ago, I simply
> cobbled a recipe toether to make one, and we liked it. One caveat
> is that we don't ever use lamb. We like lamb in other forms; e.g.
> chops, roast, leg of lamb, etc., but have never cared for it minced
> or in small dice or bits, so we have always used beef.
>
> The recipe you pointed to looks really good, and except for substting
> beef mince for lamb, I will definitely make this. It looks
> delicious!

Guardian recipes tend to be reliable. I must admit that I make the
cottage pie version usually. Minced lamb is not often available.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> Indeed I was just curious as to how it worked in a food processor

I plan to try this within a few days...maybe even tomorrow. I'll
let you know what I think of pulsed and chopped beef vs ground.
Just guessing in advance, I don't forsee any problem with this
method other than the pain in the ass to clean the processor
blades later.

Last time I cleaned it, those super sharp blades got me twice
with finger cuts even though I was trying so hard to be careful.
Dishwasher might be a good call to clean them. I even looked
later for an old long-bristle baby bottle brush but these blades
probably would have laughed and cut off all the bristles. heheh

==

No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.

It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

Good luck anyway

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>
> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-20 12:44 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 20 Apr 2018 09:27:15a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 14:06:42 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu 19 Apr 2018 06:47:11a, graham told us...

>>> I've never followed a recipe to make either shepherd's pie or
>>> cottage pie. Afer havng eaten cottage pie several times years
>>> ago, I simply cobbled a recipe toether to make one, and we liked
>>> it. One caveat is that we don't ever use lamb. We like lamb in
>>> other forms; e.g. chops, roast, leg of lamb, etc., but have never
>>> cared for it minced or in small dice or bits, so we have always
>>> used beef.
>>>
>>> The recipe you pointed to looks really good, and except for
>>> substting beef mince for lamb, I will definitely make this. It
>>> looks delicious!

>> I like stuffed peppers using minced lamb.
>> Janet US

> I like stuffed peppes using minced beef or a mixture of beef and
> pork.

Have you ever tried using the pepper as a container for a soufflé?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 1:44:34 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Fri 20 Apr 2018 09:27:15a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
> > I like stuffed peppers using minced lamb.
> > Janet US

> I like stuffed peppes using minced beef or a mixture of beef and
> pork.

I like stuffed peppers but don't like to eat the peppers that held
the stuffing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Gary" wrote in message ...

> I plan to try this within a few days...maybe even tomorrow. I'll
> let you know what I think of pulsed and chopped beef vs ground.
> Just guessing in advance, I don't forsee any problem with this
> method other than the pain in the ass to clean the processor
> blades later.
>
> Last time I cleaned it, those super sharp blades got me twice
> with finger cuts even though I was trying so hard to be careful.
> Dishwasher might be a good call to clean them. I even looked
> later for an old long-bristle baby bottle brush but these blades
> probably would have laughed and cut off all the bristles. heheh

Geez, what kind of processor do you have? Are you talking about a blender? I
am talking about a food processor like Cuisinart, one blade attachment, very
easy to clean, very little chance of getting cut unless you're super
careless.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
>> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>>
>> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

> That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
> Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.

OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low, sounds
like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
>>> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>>>
>>> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

>> That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
>> Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.

> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low, sounds
> like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.
>
> Cheri

I should add that I am talking about mine, there is no low, just a regular
very fast speed and pulse speed. It's an older model so maybe the newer ones
do have what you're talking about. Could very well be.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>
> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.

==

Please do

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I like stuffed peppers but don't like to eat the peppers that held
> the stuffing.

huh? Ok...you have to admit that's a bit strange.
When I eat one, first thing I do is cut it all up so the pepper
parts are mixed in with the stuffing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2018 2:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>
> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

Yes. I do my blender the same way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2018 3:06 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
>>> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>>>
>>> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

>> That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
>> Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.*

> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low, sounds
> like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.

Depends on the model. My old 11 cup one has a single speed, the newer 14
cup one, has two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 2:45:43 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > I like stuffed peppers but don't like to eat the peppers that held
> > the stuffing.

> huh? Ok...you have to admit that's a bit strange.
> When I eat one, first thing I do is cut it all up so the pepper
> parts are mixed in with the stuffing.

I am not a bell pepper fan. That includes the yellow and red ones.
When cooked in a dish they're slimy but boiled okra doesn't bother me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
>>> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>>>
>>> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

>> That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
>> Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.

> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low, sounds
> like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.
>
> Cheri

I should add that I am talking about mine, there is no low, just a regular
very fast speed and pulse speed. It's an older model so maybe the newer ones
do have what you're talking about. Could very well be.

Cheri

==

Well I guess you could pulse it too)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 4/20/2018 2:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>
> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

Yes. I do my blender the same way.

==

Yep, same here
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 13:20:14 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 2:45:43 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>
>> " wrote:
>> >
>> > I like stuffed peppers but don't like to eat the peppers that held
>> > the stuffing.

>> huh? Ok...you have to admit that's a bit strange.
>> When I eat one, first thing I do is cut it all up so the pepper
>> parts are mixed in with the stuffing.
>>

>I am not a bell pepper fan. That includes the yellow and red ones.
>When cooked in a dish they're slimy but boiled okra doesn't bother me.

I suspect that the peppers that are slimy are way overcooked. Blanch
the large raw peppers no more than 30 seconds and drain. Let them sit
while you make the filling, then stuff and bake -- maybe 1/2 hour.
That way they still have a little crunch/ body to them and haven't yet
become gray.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 13:20:14 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 2:45:43 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>
>> " wrote:
>> >
>> > I like stuffed peppers but don't like to eat the peppers that held
>> > the stuffing.

>> huh? Ok...you have to admit that's a bit strange.
>> When I eat one, first thing I do is cut it all up so the pepper
>> parts are mixed in with the stuffing.
>>

>I am not a bell pepper fan. That includes the yellow and red ones.
>When cooked in a dish they're slimy but boiled okra doesn't bother me.

I suspect that the peppers that are slimy are way overcooked. Blanch
the large raw peppers no more than 30 seconds and drain. Let them sit
while you make the filling, then stuff and bake -- maybe 1/2 hour.
That way they still have a little crunch/ body to them and haven't yet
become gray.
Janet US

---

I only eat raw peppers. I love them raw)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 21:57:40 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 13:20:14 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>> huh? Ok...you have to admit that's a bit strange.
>>> When I eat one, first thing I do is cut it all up so the pepper
>>> parts are mixed in with the stuffing.
>>>

>>I am not a bell pepper fan. That includes the yellow and red ones.
>>When cooked in a dish they're slimy but boiled okra doesn't bother me.

>I suspect that the peppers that are slimy are way overcooked. Blanch
>the large raw peppers no more than 30 seconds and drain. Let them sit
>while you make the filling, then stuff and bake -- maybe 1/2 hour.
>That way they still have a little crunch/ body to them and haven't yet
>become gray.
>Janet US
>
>---
>
>I only eat raw peppers. I love them raw)

We do too. Often they are our dinner vegetable. For picnicking in
the mountains or camping we must have raw peppers in the cooler.
Janet US