Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The "perfect" shepherd's pie - Recipe

On 4/22/2018 12:16 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown"* wrote in message ...
>
> On 4/20/2018 3:06 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
>>> Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.*

>> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low,
>> sounds like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.
>>
>> Cheri

> Well, it sounds like a quick way to clean a FP.* I have an old Hamilton
> Beach FP.* I honestly couldn't tell you how many settings it has.* I
> rarely use it.* But in this case I don't think the brand or the settings
> matter.* We're just talking swishing around hot water in an FP (or a
> blender, for that matter) with some dish soap.* I would then (carefully,
> Gary!) remove the blade, rinse it and the bowl and let them both dry in
> the dish rack.* Certainly sounds feasible to me.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> It's what I do

It works for you, I can see it working well. I'm not sure why anyone is
really questioning it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> It works for you, I can see it working well. I'm not sure why anyone is
> really questioning it.

Funny, several people here have agreed about washing fp blades
that way. I must have missed the ones where people questioned
doing it that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 12:11:13 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > Russets!

> > My least favorite too. Decent enough for fries, hash browns,
> > smashed potatoes... but that's it. Worst choice ever for a baked
> > potato.
> >
> > I prefer red (or the recent buy of Gold) for most everything. I
> > would be very happy if I never had a russett again.

> Oddly enough, everybody else prefers russets for baking, by a wide
> margin.

And as Sheldon would respond...TIAD! lol
For me, it's the good ol' each to their own deal.
The fact that "everybody else" prefers russets for baking,
has no significance to me.

Russet potatoes are very starchy and dry. I have to add twice
the butter to a baked one to make it palatable. They are always
my last choice to buy. And only on a good sale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 12:58:12 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > My least favorite too. Decent enough for fries, hash browns,
> > > smashed potatoes... but that's it. Worst choice ever for a baked
> > > potato.
> > >
> > > I prefer red (or the recent buy of Gold) for most everything. I
> > > would be very happy if I never had a russett again.

> > Oddly enough, everybody else prefers russets for baking, by a wide
> > margin.

> And as Sheldon would respond...TIAD! lol
> For me, it's the good ol' each to their own deal.
> The fact that "everybody else" prefers russets for baking,
> has no significance to me.
>
> Russet potatoes are very starchy and dry. I have to add twice
> the butter to a baked one to make it palatable. They are always
> my last choice to buy. And only on a good sale.

How long do you bake them, and at what temperature?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-22 1:03 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 22 Apr 2018 08:54:59a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 4/20/2018 8:28 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 20 Apr 2018 12:57:57p, S Viemeister told us...

>>> when I had my old Osterizer the jar, blades, and based could be
>>> completely disassembled and washed in the dishwasher. My new
>>> Oster blender has a one piece containeer/blades/base, and cannot
>>> be put in the dishwasher. I believe most manufacturers are
>>> making them that way now.
>>>

>> Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Because most of the better ones are made that way. Easy cleanup
> anyway. Half a blender nar of water and a few drops of liquid
> dishwashing liquid. Pulse to self-clean, then rinse.

Does it work well when you make mayonnaise. I usually find that it
takes longer to clean the machine than it took to make the mayo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather they
> > work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you normally
> > make.
> >
> > Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use
> > will be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of
> > the results don't have to be very distinct.

> Would this do for you?
> See my other post about it too.
> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1804221901160089.jpg
>
> I bought this almost 3 years ago...
> It cost only a bit over $20 at the time.

Pretty dang close! Right sized for sure for my needs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 09:48:01 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> >> make >>> > Cottage pie. He likes that better.

> did >> >>> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store
> (now >> >>> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(

> Without >> >>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a
> few times in >> >>> a food processor?

> >> gather >> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of
> >> not over >> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

> >> I also have a proper grinder but the OP was wanting to try chopping
> >> meat in a FP
> >>
> >> Janet US

> > Nothing wrong with experimenting!
> >
> > For a hoot, Don used our little Japan bought blender on a bit of
> > leftover ham once. He was aiming to make something like potted meat
> > (like the little cans sold in the stores but healthier). I won't
> > say we got something that matched the 'deviled ham can' exactly but
> > it was a fun little trial! Tastey as well.

> that is exactly what that little machine should be used for. Or
> making bread crumbs. Or mincing onions or garlic, stuff like that
> there is nothing shameful about using a food processor. I currently
> have one that dices, slices, chops, shreds, juliennes, mixes, a bunch
> of functions, all of which I find useful. It has a 13 cup capacity. I
> use it a lot during 'putting up' season. There are a lot of things
> that I simply couldn't do without a FP. That's before I even consider
> that these days my arms and hands don't work the way they used to.
> Janet US

Same here on some parts of me don't work to well anymore. Thats why I
am looking into a small food processor. Gary sent an idea of a 'ninja'
version.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

cshenk wrote:

> I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather they
> work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you normally make.
>
> Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use will
> be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of the results
> don't have to be very distinct.

Would this do for you?
See my other post about it too.
http://www.hostpic.org/images/1804221901160089.jpg

I bought this almost 3 years ago...
It cost only a bit over $20 at the time.

==

I have one very similar to that) I use it when I want to do very small
amounts)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:27:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/19/2018 8:43 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> No, not if you pulse it, and not for long.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> OK thanks.** Not something I have ever tried)

>> You have to pulse it for a very short time so it's chunky otherwise it's
>> nasty. )
>>
>> Cheri
>>

>Caveat: I have never tried using the food processor to mince meat but I
>agree with your assessment. Short pulses. I think an occasional stir
>might be in order, too, until you reach the desired "ground" texture.
>
>Jill

It's not posssible to achieve ground meat texture with any food
processor... the whole concept of grinding is that all food passes
through the business end but once... something a food processor is
incapable of.... pulsing is simply bullshit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:50:41 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/21/2018 12:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> I haven't tried it personally (I have a proper grinder) but I gather
>>> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of not over
>>> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

>> I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor works
>> just as well.
>>
>> Cheri

>I have never used my food processor to "grind" meat. If I was in Gary's
>situation with some strip steaks and wanting to make cottage pie, I'd
>likely give it a try. As you've said upthread, short pulses. I think
>it might require a stir once in a while, too, to make sure things don't
>get stuck and turned to mush.
>
>Jill

Using any food processor attempting to grind good steaks would be a
huge fail and wastes the steaks. You'd do better like granny did, a
round wooden bowl and a mezzeluna... hock fleish.
No matter how carefully one pulses the best a food proccesor can
produce is sludge and chunks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:54:59 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/20/2018 8:28 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Yes. I do my blender the same way.

>> when I had my old Osterizer the jar, blades, and based could be
>> completely disassembled and washed in the dishwasher. My new Oster
>> blender has a one piece containeer/blades/base, and cannot be put in
>> the dishwasher. I believe most manufacturers are making them that
>> way now.
>>

>Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!
>
>Jill

I have a circa 1960 Osterizer, 700 watts. The only time I washed it
with soap is when the food in it was fatty, but that was rare, mostly
I use it for smoothies... a quick pulse with plain water cleans it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2018 11:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/21/2018 12:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

>> I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor works
>> just as well.

> I have never used my food processor to "grind" meat.* If I was in Gary's
> situation with some strip steaks and wanting to make cottage pie, I'd
> likely give it a try.* As you've said upthread, short pulses.* I think
> it might require a stir once in a while, too, to make sure things don't
> get stuck and turned to mush.

We had a meat grinder. Noisy and hard to clean. So we tried the
food processor method that I'm certain I saw on Good Eats. Alton
pulsed the meat cubes 12 times or so and we are happy with the
results.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 12:26:32 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/22/2018 12:16 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown"* wrote in message ...

>>> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low,
>>> sounds like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Well, it sounds like a quick way to clean a FP.* I have an old Hamilton
>> Beach FP.* I honestly couldn't tell you how many settings it has.* I
>> rarely use it.* But in this case I don't think the brand or the settings
>> matter.* We're just talking swishing around hot water in an FP (or a
>> blender, for that matter) with some dish soap.* I would then (carefully,
>> Gary!) remove the blade, rinse it and the bowl and let them both dry in
>> the dish rack.* Certainly sounds feasible to me.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It's what I do
>>

>It works for you, I can see it working well. I'm not sure why anyone is
>really questioning it.
>
>Jill

I've seen it recommended on cooking shows and I think it may be
suggested as a way to do it in the FP manual.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 17:03:32 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 22 Apr 2018 08:54:59a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 4/20/2018 8:28 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 20 Apr 2018 12:57:57p, S Viemeister told us...

>>> when I had my old Osterizer the jar, blades, and based could be
>>> completely disassembled and washed in the dishwasher. My new
>>> Oster blender has a one piece containeer/blades/base, and cannot
>>> be put in the dishwasher. I believe most manufacturers are
>>> making them that way now.
>>>

>> Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Because most of the better ones are made that way. Easy cleanup
>anyway. Half a blender nar of water and a few drops of liquid
>dishwashing liquid. Pulse to self-clean, then rinse.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO1AQUU...QUU5448810/?ta
>g=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00EO1AQUU&linkCod e=df0&hvad
>id=167151781903&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1310393 8016634357541&hvpone
>=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlo cphy=9029976&hvtargi
>d=pla-309790035572
>
>OR
>
>https://tinyurl.com/ycorhqcd

Oh, yours is a blender. I thought the equipment at issue was a food
processor.
http://www.qvc.com/product.K47066.html?sc=MAIL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 20:40:59 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>cshenk wrote:
>>
>> I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather they
>> work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you normally make.
>>
>> Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use will
>> be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of the results
>> don't have to be very distinct.

>Would this do for you?
>See my other post about it too.
> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1804221901160089.jpg
>
>I bought this almost 3 years ago...
>It cost only a bit over $20 at the time.
>
>==
>
>I have one very similar to that) I use it when I want to do very small
>amounts)

I have one of the small ones as well for the same reason. Actually,
it was the first one that I got.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 16:03:22 -0400, wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:50:41 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor works
>>> just as well.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>>I have never used my food processor to "grind" meat. If I was in Gary's
>>situation with some strip steaks and wanting to make cottage pie, I'd
>>likely give it a try. As you've said upthread, short pulses. I think
>>it might require a stir once in a while, too, to make sure things don't
>>get stuck and turned to mush.
>>
>>Jill

>Using any food processor attempting to grind good steaks would be a
>huge fail and wastes the steaks. You'd do better like granny did, a
>round wooden bowl and a mezzeluna... hock fleish.
>No matter how carefully one pulses the best a food proccesor can
>produce is sludge and chunks.

Sheldon, it is obvious that the women on this group are more skilled
than you are.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> news

>> make >>>>> Cottage pie. He likes that better.

>> did >>> > buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store (now

>> in >>> > a food processor?

>> gather >>> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of
>> not over >>> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

>> > Ok! I have lookd at getting a small food processor. It's
>> > languishing on my wish list (grin).

>> I have the Basic Cuisinart, big enough for everything that I do with
>> it, but if having the family still at home a bigger one would
>> probably be more useful.
>>
>> Cheri

> I've been eyeing small food processors here for a bit. The sort that
> do about 2-3 cups max. So far, I hand chop or I have a small Japanese
> brand blender (don't ask me model, can't read Japanese script).
>
> The blender works for soups and making hummus nicely though it took
> several runs to do the 8oz of lentils and matching tahini yesterday.
> (I made up a lb of lentils with Tandoori seasoning yesterday and
> Charlotte took about 1/2 and made Dal.)
>
> The blender has pulse, low, and high. Holds about 4-4.5 cups but for
> tahini, you have to use pulse and it works best if you at least partly
> crush the sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle first. Then once to a
> decent paste, add the beans (lentils this time so not sure if some
> would call it 'hummus' or not.). I am thinking a real food processor
> might make it easier?
>
> I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather they
> work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you normally make.
>
> Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use will
> be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of the results
> don't have to be very distinct.

I love the Cuisinart Basic, though they have discontinued it, and I
certainly never paid that for it. I believe it was around 50.00 or so
dollars at the time.

https://www.cuisinart.com/discontinu...cessors/dlc-5/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/20/2018 3:06 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
>>> Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.

>> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low, sounds
>> like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.
>>
>> Cheri

> Well, it sounds like a quick way to clean a FP. I have an old Hamilton
> Beach FP. I honestly couldn't tell you how many settings it has. I
> rarely use it. But in this case I don't think the brand or the settings
> matter. We're just talking swishing around hot water in an FP (or a
> blender, for that matter) with some dish soap. I would then (carefully,
> Gary!) remove the blade, rinse it and the bowl and let them both dry in
> the dish rack. Certainly sounds feasible to me.
>
> Jill

I don't understand what you mean I guess. Why would you swish water around
in a FP instead of simply removing the bowl and washing it with soapy water.
How does anyone wash a butcher knife without the same problem then?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 16:03:22 -0400, wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:50:41 -0400, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>I have never used my food processor to "grind" meat. If I was in Gary's
>>>situation with some strip steaks and wanting to make cottage pie, I'd
>>>likely give it a try. As you've said upthread, short pulses. I think
>>>it might require a stir once in a while, too, to make sure things don't
>>>get stuck and turned to mush.
>>>
>>>Jill

>>Using any food processor attempting to grind good steaks would be a
>>huge fail and wastes the steaks. You'd do better like granny did, a
>>round wooden bowl and a mezzeluna... hock fleish.
>>No matter how carefully one pulses the best a food proccesor can
>>produce is sludge and chunks.

> Sheldon, it is obvious that the women on this group are more skilled
> than you are.
> Janet US

Before I would listen to his take on the way a food processor works, he
would actually have to own one.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 17:03:32 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>>Because most of the better ones are made that way. Easy cleanup
>>anyway. Half a blender nar of water and a few drops of liquid
>>dishwashing liquid. Pulse to self-clean, then rinse.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO1AQUU...QUU5448810/?ta
>>g=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00EO1AQUU&linkCod e=df0&hvad
>>id=167151781903&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=131039 38016634357541&hvpone
>>=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvl ocphy=9029976&hvtargi
>>d=pla-309790035572
>>
>>OR
>>
>>https://tinyurl.com/ycorhqcd

> Oh, yours is a blender. I thought the equipment at issue was a food
> processor.
> http://www.qvc.com/product.K47066.html?sc=MAIL

That's what I'm talking about, not a blender. Mine is like this:

https://www.cuisinart.com/discontinu...cessors/dlc-5/

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:54:59 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 4/20/2018 8:28 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 20 Apr 2018 12:57:57p, S Viemeister told us...

>>> when I had my old Osterizer the jar, blades, and based could be
>>> completely disassembled and washed in the dishwasher. My new Oster
>>> blender has a one piece containeer/blades/base, and cannot be put in
>>> the dishwasher. I believe most manufacturers are making them that
>>> way now.
>>>

>>Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!
>>
>>Jill

> I have a circa 1960 Osterizer, 700 watts. The only time I washed it
> with soap is when the food in it was fatty, but that was rare, mostly
> I use it for smoothies... a quick pulse with plain water cleans it.

I have an Oster blender that's old, but still works great. I don't use it at
all because I prefer either the FP, the Nutri-Bullet, or the Bamix. All are
so much easier to use and to clean.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 17:03:32 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 22 Apr 2018 08:54:59a, jmcquown told us...
>
>> On 4/20/2018 8:28 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 20 Apr 2018 12:57:57p, S Viemeister told us...

>>> when I had my old Osterizer the jar, blades, and based could be
>>> completely disassembled and washed in the dishwasher. My new
>>> Oster blender has a one piece containeer/blades/base, and cannot
>>> be put in the dishwasher. I believe most manufacturers are
>>> making them that way now.
>>>

>> Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Because most of the better ones are made that way. Easy cleanup
>anyway. Half a blender nar of water and a few drops of liquid
>dishwashing liquid. Pulse to self-clean, then rinse.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO1AQUU...QUU5448810/?ta
>g=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00EO1AQUU&linkCod e=df0&hvad
>id=167151781903&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1310393 8016634357541&hvpone
>=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlo cphy=9029976&hvtargi
>d=pla-309790035572
>
>OR
>
>https://tinyurl.com/ycorhqcd

Oh, yours is a blender. I thought the equipment at issue was a food
processor.
http://www.qvc.com/product.K47066.html?sc=MAIL

==

I do it with both.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> news

>> make >>>>> Cottage pie. He likes that better.

>> did >>> > buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store (now

>> in >>> > a food processor?

>> gather >>> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of
>> not over >>> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

>> > Ok! I have lookd at getting a small food processor. It's
>> > languishing on my wish list (grin).

>> I have the Basic Cuisinart, big enough for everything that I do with
>> it, but if having the family still at home a bigger one would
>> probably be more useful.
>>
>> Cheri

> I've been eyeing small food processors here for a bit. The sort that
> do about 2-3 cups max. So far, I hand chop or I have a small Japanese
> brand blender (don't ask me model, can't read Japanese script).
>
> The blender works for soups and making hummus nicely though it took
> several runs to do the 8oz of lentils and matching tahini yesterday.
> (I made up a lb of lentils with Tandoori seasoning yesterday and
> Charlotte took about 1/2 and made Dal.)
>
> The blender has pulse, low, and high. Holds about 4-4.5 cups but for
> tahini, you have to use pulse and it works best if you at least partly
> crush the sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle first. Then once to a
> decent paste, add the beans (lentils this time so not sure if some
> would call it 'hummus' or not.). I am thinking a real food processor
> might make it easier?
>
> I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather they
> work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you normally make.
>
> Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use will
> be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of the results
> don't have to be very distinct.

I love the Cuisinart Basic, though they have discontinued it, and I
certainly never paid that for it. I believe it was around 50.00 or so
dollars at the time.

https://www.cuisinart.com/discontinu...cessors/dlc-5/

==

Mine is very similar to that, but it is a Kenwood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 11:54:59 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 4/20/2018 8:28 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 20 Apr 2018 12:57:57p, S Viemeister told us...

>>> when I had my old Osterizer the jar, blades, and based could be
>>> completely disassembled and washed in the dishwasher. My new Oster
>>> blender has a one piece containeer/blades/base, and cannot be put in
>>> the dishwasher. I believe most manufacturers are making them that
>>> way now.
>>>

>>Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!
>>
>>Jill

> I have a circa 1960 Osterizer, 700 watts. The only time I washed it
> with soap is when the food in it was fatty, but that was rare, mostly
> I use it for smoothies... a quick pulse with plain water cleans it.

I have an Oster blender that's old, but still works great. I don't use it at
all because I prefer either the FP, the Nutri-Bullet, or the Bamix. All are
so much easier to use and to clean.

Cheri

==

This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he dismantles
it to clean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 11:50:11 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 17:03:32 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>>> Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>>Because most of the better ones are made that way. Easy cleanup
>>anyway. Half a blender nar of water and a few drops of liquid
>>dishwashing liquid. Pulse to self-clean, then rinse.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO1AQUU...QUU5448810/?ta
>>g=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00EO1AQUU&linkCod e=df0&hvad
>>id=167151781903&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=131039 38016634357541&hvpone
>>=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvl ocphy=9029976&hvtargi
>>d=pla-309790035572
>>
>>OR
>>
>>https://tinyurl.com/ycorhqcd

>Oh, yours is a blender. I thought the equipment at issue was a food
>processor.
>http://www.qvc.com/product.K47066.html?sc=MAIL
>
>==
>
>I do it with both.

I replaced my blender with a Ninja 'blender' I use it exclusively for
making drinks and faux ice cream where I want to crush ice or a
frozen fruit. My FP takes care of everything else. I got one of the
original Ninjas that came out. The size and shape is similar to a
blender, it just has all those extra blades on the spindle and
therefore does an excellent job of crushing ice.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 23:06:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 16:03:22 -0400, wrote:

>>>Using any food processor attempting to grind good steaks would be a
>>>huge fail and wastes the steaks. You'd do better like granny did, a
>>>round wooden bowl and a mezzeluna... hock fleish.
>>>No matter how carefully one pulses the best a food proccesor can
>>>produce is sludge and chunks.

>> Sheldon, it is obvious that the women on this group are more skilled
>> than you are.
>> Janet US

>Before I would listen to his take on the way a food processor works, he
>would actually have to own one.
>
>Cheri

He had one some 20, 30, 40 years ago and threw it in the trash because
it was no good.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 17:03:32 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>>> Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>>Because most of the better ones are made that way. Easy cleanup
>>anyway. Half a blender nar of water and a few drops of liquid
>>dishwashing liquid. Pulse to self-clean, then rinse.
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO1AQUU...QUU5448810/?ta
>>g=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00EO1AQUU&linkCod e=df0&hvad
>>id=167151781903&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=131039 38016634357541&hvpone
>>=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvl ocphy=9029976&hvtargi
>>d=pla-309790035572
>>
>>OR
>>
>>https://tinyurl.com/ycorhqcd

>Oh, yours is a blender. I thought the equipment at issue was a food
>processor.
>http://www.qvc.com/product.K47066.html?sc=MAIL
>
>==
>
>I do it with both.

I replaced my blender with a Ninja 'blender' I use it exclusively for
making drinks and faux ice cream where I want to crush ice or a
frozen fruit. My FP takes care of everything else. I got one of the
original Ninjas that came out. The size and shape is similar to a
blender, it just has all those extra blades on the spindle and
therefore does an excellent job of crushing ice.
Janet US

====

I haven't heard of that one! I have a Kenwood as I already said, similar to
Cheri's and a smaller one, similar to the one Gary posted. Mine is a
Russell Hobbes.

Russell Hobbs Desire Electric Mini Food Chopper 18558by Russell Hobbs

I don't think either would do a good job of crushing ice although I haven't
tried it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Russet potatoes are very starchy and dry. I have to add twice
> > the butter to a baked one to make it palatable. They are always
> > my last choice to buy. And only on a good sale.

> How long do you bake them, and at what temperature?

It's not my cooking method Cindy. I cook them the same as any
other variety. I just don't like russets. Each to their own
thing, right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
(about cleaning food processor blades by adding soapy water)

> I've seen it recommended on cooking shows and I think it may be
> suggested as a way to do it in the FP manual.

It's a good idea. I just opened up my box again and read the
user's manual. It only says to put blade part in dishwasher.
Several times in the manual, it cautions you to be very
careful when handling the blade assembly as they are
extremely sharp. Yeah...I learned that.

I did clean the blades by hand wash that one time.
Not only did I get small "paper cuts" twice on fingers,
but it also sliced up my cleaning washcloth.
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he dismantles
> it to clean.

Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
assembly. Not recommended.

I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
that by hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
(about cleaning food processor blades by adding soapy water)

> I've seen it recommended on cooking shows and I think it may be
> suggested as a way to do it in the FP manual.

It's a good idea. I just opened up my box again and read the
user's manual. It only says to put blade part in dishwasher.
Several times in the manual, it cautions you to be very
careful when handling the blade assembly as they are
extremely sharp. Yeah...I learned that.

I did clean the blades by hand wash that one time.
Not only did I get small "paper cuts" twice on fingers,
but it also sliced up my cleaning washcloth.
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

===

I guess you won't be doing THAT again Mr Robinson?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he
> dismantles
> it to clean.

Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
assembly. Not recommended.

I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
that by hand.

==

Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!

Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:56:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > Russet potatoes are very starchy and dry. I have to add twice
> > > the butter to a baked one to make it palatable. They are always
> > > my last choice to buy. And only on a good sale.

> > How long do you bake them, and at what temperature?

> It's not my cooking method Cindy. I cook them the same as any
> other variety. I just don't like russets. Each to their own
> thing, right?

Granted, you don't like russets. I'd still like to know what
your technique is for baking potatoes.

I bake potatoes vanishingly rarely. It's usually boiled new
potatoes for convenience. Yesterday we par-boiled some larger
Yukon Golds, then cut them in half, massaged them with bacon
grease, and finished them on the grill. That was pretty good.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:56:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > Russet potatoes are very starchy and dry. I have to add twice
> > > the butter to a baked one to make it palatable. They are always
> > > my last choice to buy. And only on a good sale.

> > How long do you bake them, and at what temperature?

> It's not my cooking method Cindy. I cook them the same as any
> other variety. I just don't like russets. Each to their own
> thing, right?

Granted, you don't like russets. I'd still like to know what
your technique is for baking potatoes.

I bake potatoes vanishingly rarely. It's usually boiled new
potatoes for convenience. Yesterday we par-boiled some larger
Yukon Golds, then cut them in half, massaged them with bacon
grease, and finished them on the grill. That was pretty good.

Cindy Hamilton

==

That is pretty much the way I bake mine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Montag, 23. April 2018 18:35:12 UTC+2 schrieb Gary:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> (about cleaning food processor blades by adding soapy water)
> >
> > I've seen it recommended on cooking shows and I think it may be
> > suggested as a way to do it in the FP manual.

> It's a good idea. I just opened up my box again and read the
> user's manual. It only says to put blade part in dishwasher.
> Several times in the manual, it cautions you to be very
> careful when handling the blade assembly as they are
> extremely sharp. Yeah...I learned that.
>
> I did clean the blades by hand wash that one time.
> Not only did I get small "paper cuts" twice on fingers,
> but it also sliced up my cleaning washcloth.
> DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

LOL!

Instead of getting lost in space - use a brush...

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:56:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > Russet potatoes are very starchy and dry. I have to add twice
> > > the butter to a baked one to make it palatable. They are always
> > > my last choice to buy. And only on a good sale.

> > How long do you bake them, and at what temperature?

> It's not my cooking method Cindy. I cook them the same as any
> other variety. I just don't like russets. Each to their own
> thing, right?

Granted, you don't like russets. I'd still like to know what
your technique is for baking potatoes.

I bake potatoes vanishingly rarely. It's usually boiled new
potatoes for convenience. Yesterday we par-boiled some larger
Yukon Golds, then cut them in half, massaged them with bacon
grease, and finished them on the grill. That was pretty good.

Cindy Hamilton

==

That is pretty much the way I bake mine

Oooops I meant 'roasted' Did you mean that or baked whole?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he
>> dismantles
>> it to clean.

> Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
> ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
> assembly. Not recommended.
>
> I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
> that by hand.
>
> ==
>
> Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
>
> Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
15.223...
> On Mon 23 Apr 2018 05:53:05a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 23:06:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Before I would listen to his take on the way a food processor
>>>works, he would actually have to own one.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> He had one some 20, 30, 40 years ago and threw it in the trash
>> because it was no good.
>> Janet US
>>

> Probably some cheap piece of crapHe's no big spender.

Seems like if he doesn't know how to use something properly, it's all crap,
is not good, and never was any good.

Cheri