Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The "perfect" shepherd's pie - Recipe

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he
>> dismantles
>> it to clean.

> Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
> ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
> assembly. Not recommended.
>
> I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
> that by hand.
>
> ==
>
> Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
>
> Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)

Cheri

==

LOL I didn't want to mention that ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he
>>> dismantles
>>> it to clean.

>> Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
>> ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
>> assembly. Not recommended.
>>
>> I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
>> that by hand.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
>>
>> Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

> Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> LOL I didn't want to mention that ;p

Well, he knows we're joking.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he
>>> dismantles
>>> it to clean.

>> Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
>> ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
>> assembly. Not recommended.
>>
>> I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
>> that by hand.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
>>
>> Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

> Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> LOL I didn't want to mention that ;p

Well, he knows we're joking.

Cheri

==

LOL true enough)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 23:06:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 16:03:22 -0400, wrote:

>>>Using any food processor attempting to grind good steaks would be a
>>>huge fail and wastes the steaks. You'd do better like granny did, a
>>>round wooden bowl and a mezzeluna... hock fleish.
>>>No matter how carefully one pulses the best a food proccesor can
>>>produce is sludge and chunks.

>> Sheldon, it is obvious that the women on this group are more skilled
>> than you are.
>> Janet US

Skilled at what... LYING... I've seen nothing most have cooked.

>Before I would listen to his take on the way a food processor works, he
>would actually have to own one.
>
>Cheri

I did own a food processor, many years ago, the largest Cuisinart at
that time, I think it was 16 cups. I tried it for many purposes but
was so dissatified with the results that I tossed it in the trash
because no one I knew wanted it and there was no ebay back then.
A home style food processor can't do anything better/faster than I can
with a chefs knife and a blender. A food processor cannot grind meat.
For anyone who doesn't want to spend for a decent meat grinder and is
going to occasionally grind no more than a pound or two I would
recomend a round wooden bowl and a mezzoluna.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

Cleaning wasn't really an issue as far as using it or not. I was
looking for baby-bottle brush with long bristles to clean it.
But..blades so very sharp, they would probably cut off all the
bristles. lol.

As I said though - I only bought it in the first place for a
backup ferret food grinder. Many times I could have used it for
food processing but easier just to use my chef's knife and easier
to clean that too. I've always thought I might be able to pulse
semi-frozen meat though. Others here seem to agree. Not quite a
real meat grinder but if you pulse/chop just right, it might be
fine.

That's my plan next time I want ground beef. I won't buy any
until I try this out on one of my 11oz strip steaks. I have 3.

I'll do this soon for cottage pie but once I chop/mince this
better beef, I plan to first pull off an ounce or two to make a
mini hamburger. Just to see how it works for that too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:56:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >

> Granted, you don't like russets. I'd still like to know what
> your technique is for baking potatoes.
>
> I bake potatoes vanishingly rarely. It's usually boiled new
> potatoes for convenience. Yesterday we par-boiled some larger
> Yukon Golds, then cut them in half, massaged them with bacon
> grease, and finished them on the grill. That was pretty good.

Ok...I only bake potatoes when baking something else...rare.
Most times, I microwave potatoes, chop up, then add butter and
S&P. That's my most often way that I eat them and fine with me. I
also like just cut up and boiled potatoes with butter, S&P.

Lately whenever I fry them, I'll microwave until almost cooked,
then cut them, then finish them off in a frying pan with a tiny
bit of oil.

Unlike some here, I eat potatoes pretty often. I even go with
instant sometimes but not often. It's a totally different taste.
Real potatoes maybe 95% of the time...even mashed. Instant the
other times just for a change up. I'm not picky.

I just made instant last night. Nice change after a few months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Gary" wrote in message ...
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he
> >> dismantles
> >> it to clean.

> > Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
> > ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
> > assembly. Not recommended.
> >
> > I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
> > that by hand.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
> >
> > Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

> Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>
> Cheri

You just wait, Cheri. I found a cool girl-gang pic that I'm going
to send you here with a Ping Cheri subject line in a day or so. I
want your opinion of it. :-D I think you'll like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
> >
> > Cheri
> > ==
> >
> > LOL I didn't want to mention that ;p
> >

> Well, he knows we're joking.

Who me? Heck yeah, I can appreciate a joke/tease.
I do it all the time and get yelled at but I can
certainly laugh at myself when the joke's on me.

:-D Stay tuned for the girl-gang pic...don't killfile me yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:33:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> I have a circa 1960 Osterizer, 700 watts. The only time I washed it
>> with soap is when the food in it was fatty, but that was rare, mostly
>> I use it for smoothies... a quick pulse with plain water cleans it.

>That's a blender, not a food processor (at least not in modern
>terms). I have an old blender with pulse and many other speed
>settings. Can't do meat in that unless you add lots of water to
>keep it blending. not good.
>I will try my cute little Ninja processor and just pulse a few
>times until it's right.
>
>I'll bet you've never used a real food processor.
>Not at all like yoose 58-year-old nasty Osterizer.

I used a food procesor, they do an awful job... tossed it in the
trash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:34:17 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> It's not posssible to achieve ground meat texture with any food
>> processor... the whole concept of grinding is that all food passes
>> through the business end but once...

>Not in my area. Store butcher told me that they buy "1st ground"
>beef from a central packing area (aka mystery meat). Once they
>get that, they take it and do a 2nd grind and that's what they
>package and set out for sale.

Still passes all through the business end but ONCE.
However if you eat that mystery meat shit you are very SICK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:35:47 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>(about cleaning food processor blades by adding soapy water)
>>
>> I've seen it recommended on cooking shows and I think it may be
>> suggested as a way to do it in the FP manual.

>It's a good idea. I just opened up my box again and read the
>user's manual. It only says to put blade part in dishwasher.
>Several times in the manual, it cautions you to be very
>careful when handling the blade assembly as they are
>extremely sharp. Yeah...I learned that.
>
>I did clean the blades by hand wash that one time.
>Not only did I get small "paper cuts" twice on fingers,
>but it also sliced up my cleaning washcloth.
>DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

You have no idea how to handle sharps and you have snowflake skin....
there is nothing close to sharp about food processor blades.... the
sharpest blade you ever handled is a spackle knife.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:45:54 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>(about cleaning food processor blades by adding soapy water)
>>
>> I've seen it recommended on cooking shows and I think it may be
>> suggested as a way to do it in the FP manual.

>It's a good idea. I just opened up my box again and read the
>user's manual. It only says to put blade part in dishwasher.

DUMB - DUMB - DUMB to put any sharp in the dishwasher.
Dishwashing compound is designed to clean dishes, NOT metal.

>Several times in the manual, it cautions you to be very
>careful when handling the blade assembly as they are
>extremely sharp. Yeah...I learned that.
>
>I did clean the blades by hand wash that one time.
>Not only did I get small "paper cuts" twice on fingers,
>but it also sliced up my cleaning washcloth.
>DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!
>
>===
>
>I guess you won't be doing THAT again Mr Robinson?

Gary Snowflake! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:08:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" wrote:
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he
>>> dismantle it to clean.

>> Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
>> ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
>> assembly. Not recommended.
>> I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
>> that by hand.
>> ==
>> Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
>> Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

>Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>Cheri

'Zactly! Gary's snowflake hands are more tender than a baby's tush.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO1AQUU...QUU5448810/?ta
> > g=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00EO1AQUU&linkCod e=df0&hva
> > id=167151781903&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13103938 016634357541&hvpon
> > =&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvloc phy=9029976&hvtarg
> > i d=pla-309790035572
> >
> > OR
> >
> > https://tinyurl.com/ycorhqcd

> Oh, yours is a blender. I thought the equipment at issue was a food
> processor.
> http://www.qvc.com/product.K47066.html?sc=MAIL

LOL, don't worry. The topic has been flopping back and forth from
blenders to food processors. I suspect because in some cases,
(depending on item/recipe), they can be somewhat interchangable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Cheri wrote:

> >>make >>>>> Cottage pie. He likes that better.

> >>did >>> > buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store

> (now >>>>> > that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(

> some >>>>> > good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that?
> Without >>>>> > a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a
> few times >>in >>> > a food processor?

> >>gather >>> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of
> >>not over >>> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

> > > I have the Basic Cuisinart, big enough for everything that I do
> > > with it, but if having the family still at home a bigger one would
> > > probably be more useful.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > I've been eyeing small food processors here for a bit. The sort
> > that do about 2-3 cups max. So far, I hand chop or I have a small
> > Japanese brand blender (don't ask me model, can't read Japanese
> > script).
> >
> > The blender works for soups and making hummus nicely though it took
> > several runs to do the 8oz of lentils and matching tahini yesterday.
> > (I made up a lb of lentils with Tandoori seasoning yesterday and
> > Charlotte took about 1/2 and made Dal.)
> >
> > The blender has pulse, low, and high. Holds about 4-4.5 cups but
> > for tahini, you have to use pulse and it works best if you at least
> > partly crush the sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle first. Then
> > once to a decent paste, add the beans (lentils this time so not
> > sure if some would call it 'hummus' or not.). I am thinking a real
> > food processor might make it easier?
> >
> > I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather they
> > work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you normally
> > make.
> >
> > Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use
> > will be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of
> > the results don't have to be very distinct.

> I love the Cuisinart Basic, though they have discontinued it, and I
> certainly never paid that for it. I believe it was around 50.00 or so
> dollars at the time.
>
> https://www.cuisinart.com/discontinu...cessors/dlc-5/
> ==
>
> Mine is very similar to that, but it is a Kenwood.

Thanks! I looked it up and liked the model.

For the moment, I'm in no rush but I keep eyeing 2 small units on
Amazon that seem my size of use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I0DV6W

That one I keep coming back to. I know it's an inexpensive version,
but it seems to have what I need here.

I have had several 'food processors' that my MIL kept getting me at
various yardsales and they gathered dust until I passed them on via
Freecycle because they were just too big for my uses.

It's an odd thing perhaps but except for cabbage, I don't think I ever
chop more than 1 cup of anything here?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>> > Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
>> > ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
>> > assembly. Not recommended.
>> >
>> > I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
>> > that by hand.
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
>> >
>> > Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

>> Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>>
>> Cheri

> You just wait, Cheri. I found a cool girl-gang pic that I'm going
> to send you here with a Ping Cheri subject line in a day or so. I
> want your opinion of it. :-D I think you'll like it.

I'm sure I will, you might not believe it but I do have a good sense of
humor.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

>> > Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>> >
>> > Cheri
>> > ==
>> >
>> > LOL I didn't want to mention that ;p
>> >

>> Well, he knows we're joking.

> Who me? Heck yeah, I can appreciate a joke/tease.
> I do it all the time and get yelled at but I can
> certainly laugh at myself when the joke's on me.
>
> :-D Stay tuned for the girl-gang pic...don't killfile me yet.

I don't killfile, so bring it on bubba. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:08:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Ophelia" wrote:

>>> Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
>>> ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
>>> assembly. Not recommended.
>>> I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
>>> that by hand.
>>> ==
>>> Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
>>> Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

>>Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>>Cheri

> 'Zactly! Gary's snowflake hands are more tender than a baby's tush.

I imagine his hands look very work hardened like my brother's who was a
house painter all of his life, it's not an easy job.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:00:39 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>news
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:08:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>>>Cheri

>> 'Zactly! Gary's snowflake hands are more tender than a baby's tush.

>I imagine his hands look very work hardened like my brother's who was a
>house painter all of his life, it's not an easy job.

Callus halfway the middle finger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:33:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Yes, the interior is fluffy and dry the way it's supposed to be.
> Roasted potatoes are a different matter altogether.

Probably that is what you call what I do: Peel, roll in oil, then wrap in
foil. A lower temperature for a longer duration yields a sweeter result.
Following are 'convection' (Farenheit, time) vectors for 2" to 3"
diameters:

350F, 2H
300F, 4H
250F, 8H

Idaho russets take on a superb musky tang if you have the patience to
execute the implied algorithm specified by the latter coördinates.

The texture is not fluffy nor dry; rather they are almost gooey. Usually,
we do not eat most of them directly. I always cook an exaggerated quantity
most of which are room-cooled, the foil is removed, then they are fridge
cooled overnight, then sliced (~0.25"), then pan-fried.

The oil is mostly to facilitate defoiling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 10:10:28 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 23 Apr 2018 07:57:47p, Mike_Duffy told us...
>
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:33:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, the interior is fluffy and dry the way it's supposed to be.
> >> Roasted potatoes are a different matter altogether.

> > Probably that is what you call what I do: Peel, roll in oil, then
> > wrap in foil. A lower temperature for a longer duration yields a
> > sweeter result. Following are 'convection' (Farenheit, time)
> > vectors for 2" to 3" diameters:
> >
> > 350F, 2H
> > 300F, 4H
> > 250F, 8H
> >
> > Idaho russets take on a superb musky tang if you have the patience
> > to execute the implied algorithm specified by the latter
> > coördinates.
> >
> > The texture is not fluffy nor dry; rather they are almost gooey.
> > Usually, we do not eat most of them directly. I always cook an
> > exaggerated quantity most of which are room-cooled, the foil is
> > removed, then they are fridge cooled overnight, then sliced
> > (~0.25"), then pan-fried.
> >
> > The oil is mostly to facilitate defoiling.

> I would probably not like those potatoes, especially if they've been
> cooked in foil. The texture, too, is not what I prefer. Dry and
> fluffy for me. :-)

Same here. Foil is completely unnecessary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:56:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >

> Granted, you don't like russets. I'd still like to know what
> your technique is for baking potatoes.
>
> I bake potatoes vanishingly rarely. It's usually boiled new
> potatoes for convenience. Yesterday we par-boiled some larger
> Yukon Golds, then cut them in half, massaged them with bacon
> grease, and finished them on the grill. That was pretty good.

Ok...I only bake potatoes when baking something else...rare.
Most times, I microwave potatoes, chop up, then add butter and
S&P. That's my most often way that I eat them and fine with me. I
also like just cut up and boiled potatoes with butter, S&P.

Lately whenever I fry them, I'll microwave until almost cooked,
then cut them, then finish them off in a frying pan with a tiny
bit of oil.

Unlike some here, I eat potatoes pretty often. I even go with
instant sometimes but not often. It's a totally different taste.
Real potatoes maybe 95% of the time...even mashed. Instant the
other times just for a change up. I'm not picky.

I just made instant last night. Nice change after a few months.

==

I have an option on my microwave for Baked potatoes. It uses a combination
of
microwaves and convection.

It works well. D loves regular and sweet potatoes baked. We eat them split
down the middle and add butter and salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

Cleaning wasn't really an issue as far as using it or not. I was
looking for baby-bottle brush with long bristles to clean it.
But..blades so very sharp, they would probably cut off all the
bristles. lol.

As I said though - I only bought it in the first place for a
backup ferret food grinder. Many times I could have used it for
food processing but easier just to use my chef's knife and easier
to clean that too. I've always thought I might be able to pulse
semi-frozen meat though. Others here seem to agree. Not quite a
real meat grinder but if you pulse/chop just right, it might be
fine.

That's my plan next time I want ground beef. I won't buy any
until I try this out on one of my 11oz strip steaks. I have 3.

I'll do this soon for cottage pie but once I chop/mince this
better beef, I plan to first pull off an ounce or two to make a
mini hamburger. Just to see how it works for that too.

==

Good luck Let us know how it goes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Cheri wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Gary" wrote in message ...
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> This was mainly for Gary who said he always cuts himself when he
> >> dismantles
> >> it to clean.

> > Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
> > ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
> > assembly. Not recommended.
> >
> > I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
> > that by hand.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
> >
> > Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

> Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>
> Cheri

You just wait, Cheri. I found a cool girl-gang pic that I'm going
to send you here with a Ping Cheri subject line in a day or so. I
want your opinion of it. :-D I think you'll like it.

==

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news > "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Cheri wrote:

> >>make >>>>> Cottage pie. He likes that better.

> >>did >>> > buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store

> (now >>>>> > that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(

> some >>>>> > good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that?
> Without >>>>> > a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a
> few times >>in >>> > a food processor?

> >>gather >>> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of
> >>not over >>> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

> > > I have the Basic Cuisinart, big enough for everything that I do
> > > with it, but if having the family still at home a bigger one would
> > > probably be more useful.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > I've been eyeing small food processors here for a bit. The sort
> > that do about 2-3 cups max. So far, I hand chop or I have a small
> > Japanese brand blender (don't ask me model, can't read Japanese
> > script).
> >
> > The blender works for soups and making hummus nicely though it took
> > several runs to do the 8oz of lentils and matching tahini yesterday.
> > (I made up a lb of lentils with Tandoori seasoning yesterday and
> > Charlotte took about 1/2 and made Dal.)
> >
> > The blender has pulse, low, and high. Holds about 4-4.5 cups but
> > for tahini, you have to use pulse and it works best if you at least
> > partly crush the sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle first. Then
> > once to a decent paste, add the beans (lentils this time so not
> > sure if some would call it 'hummus' or not.). I am thinking a real
> > food processor might make it easier?
> >
> > I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather they
> > work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you normally
> > make.
> >
> > Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use
> > will be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of
> > the results don't have to be very distinct.

> I love the Cuisinart Basic, though they have discontinued it, and I
> certainly never paid that for it. I believe it was around 50.00 or so
> dollars at the time.
>
> https://www.cuisinart.com/discontinu...cessors/dlc-5/
> ==
>
> Mine is very similar to that, but it is a Kenwood.

Thanks! I looked it up and liked the model.

For the moment, I'm in no rush but I keep eyeing 2 small units on
Amazon that seem my size of use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I0DV6W

That one I keep coming back to. I know it's an inexpensive version,
but it seems to have what I need here.

I have had several 'food processors' that my MIL kept getting me at
various yardsales and they gathered dust until I passed them on via
Freecycle because they were just too big for my uses.

It's an odd thing perhaps but except for cabbage, I don't think I ever
chop more than 1 cup of anything here?

==

The one I have now is much smaller than the one I had when the children were
still at home, but it is fine for us.

I have an old Kenwood Chef and always used to use the attachments ie
blender, mincer etc etc but it is too clunky for me now. I just use the
dough hook, paddle and whisk. The new stuff is much easier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 5:15:03 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:56:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > > >

> > Granted, you don't like russets. I'd still like to know what
> > your technique is for baking potatoes.
> >
> > I bake potatoes vanishingly rarely. It's usually boiled new
> > potatoes for convenience. Yesterday we par-boiled some larger
> > Yukon Golds, then cut them in half, massaged them with bacon
> > grease, and finished them on the grill. That was pretty good.

> Ok...I only bake potatoes when baking something else...rare.

Sound like you don't have a particular temperature at which you
cook them, nor a particular time.

It's all good.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:24:29 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:08:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Ophelia" wrote:

> >> Not always, O. I've only used and cleaned it once almost 3 years
> >> ago, the day that I bought it. I tried to hand wash the blade
> >> assembly. Not recommended.
> >> I also have an old blender and have never had a problem cleaning
> >> that by hand.
> >> ==
> >> Ahh ok, but the way you described it, once was enough!
> >> Will you use it more now you might have a safer way of cleaning it?

> >Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
> >Cheri

> 'Zactly! Gary's snowflake hands are more tender than a baby's tush.

For which the ladies are grateful, I'm sure.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 10:57:52 PM UTC-4, Mike_Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:33:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > Yes, the interior is fluffy and dry the way it's supposed to be.
> > Roasted potatoes are a different matter altogether.

> Probably that is what you call what I do: Peel,

But the peel is the best part. I usually scrape out most of the
center and eat the outsides of the baked potato.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 10:57:52 PM UTC-4, Mike_Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:33:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > Yes, the interior is fluffy and dry the way it's supposed to be.
> > Roasted potatoes are a different matter altogether.

> Probably that is what you call what I do: Peel,

But the peel is the best part. I usually scrape out most of the
center and eat the outsides of the baked potato.

Cindy Hamilton

==

I agree about the peel!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, penmart01
@aol.com says...
> >> Sheldon, it is obvious that the women on this group are more skilled
> >> than you are.
> >> Janet US

> Skilled at what... LYING... I've seen nothing most have cooked.

We've never seen your dick; does that mean you're lying about your
sexual exploits?

Janet UK.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:27:11 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, penmart01
says...

>> Skilled at what... LYING... I've seen nothing most have cooked.

> We've never seen your dick; does that mean you're lying about your
>sexual exploits?

Careful, please!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> In article >, penmart01
> @aol.com says...

> > Skilled at what... LYING... I've seen nothing most have cooked.

> We've never seen your dick; does that mean you're lying about your
> sexual exploits?

Good one. Here's a related quote about old age:

"The dead bird does not leave the nest."
- Winston Churchill, on being advised that his fly was open.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
> > 'Zactly! Gary's snowflake hands are more tender than a baby's tush.

> For which the ladies are grateful, I'm sure.

Been so long, I've forgotten. No worries though.
My last 2 girlfriends were much younger than me.
Ferrets
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, penmart01
> @aol.com says...

>> Skilled at what... LYING... I've seen nothing most have cooked.

> We've never seen your dick; does that mean you're lying about your
> sexual exploits?
>
> Janet UK.

Gotta laugh at that. LOLOLOLOL but need to add...or wanted to see it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:21:36 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 10:10:28 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Probably that is what you call what I do: Peel, roll in oil, then
>> > wrap in foil. A lower temperature for a longer duration yields a
>> > sweeter result. Following are 'convection' (Farenheit, time)
>> > vectors for 2" to 3" diameters:
>> >
>> > 350F, 2H
>> > 300F, 4H
>> > 250F, 8H
>> >
>> > Idaho russets take on a superb musky tang if you have the patience
>> > to execute the implied algorithm specified by the latter
>> > coördinates.
>> >
>> > The texture is not fluffy nor dry; rather they are almost gooey.
>> > Usually, we do not eat most of them directly. I always cook an
>> > exaggerated quantity most of which are room-cooled, the foil is
>> > removed, then they are fridge cooled overnight, then sliced
>> > (~0.25"), then pan-fried.
>> >
>> > The oil is mostly to facilitate defoiling.

>> I would probably not like those potatoes, especially if they've been
>> cooked in foil. The texture, too, is not what I prefer. Dry and
>> fluffy for me. :-)
>>

>Same here. Foil is completely unnecessary.

Wrapped in foil may as well cook spuds in the nuker.
Roasted spuds are peeled, oiled, salted, and oven roasted in a
roasting pan.... could be left whole or sliced into quarters~.
Baked spuds are in-jacked (not peeled), only scrubbed and baked in a
hot oven (375ºF)... NO peeling, NO oiling, NO salting, no nothing...
baked spuds are Mickies.