Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The "perfect" shepherd's pie - Recipe

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 5:03:33 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Green peppers are pretty good raw.

They're ok.

> They are good in stir fries.

No.

> They are good sauteed with onions.

No.

> Stuffed and baked?? No thanks.

I'll eat the stuffing but no thanks on the peppers for
me, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 15:11:14 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 5:03:33 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Green peppers are pretty good raw.
>>

>They're ok.
>>
>> They are good in stir fries.
>>

>No.
>>
>> They are good sauteed with onions.
>>

>No.
>>
>> Stuffed and baked?? No thanks.
>>

>I'll eat the stuffing but no thanks on the peppers for
>me, too.

Snowflake Strikes Again!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 5:36:18 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 15:11:14 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I'll eat the stuffing but no thanks on the peppers for
> >me, too.

> Snowflake Strikes Again!

Here Brucie, you can have my portion of the slimy peppers. But
make sure you eat them on top a juicy, medium rare steak.

Moooooooooo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 16:00:47 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 5:36:18 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 15:11:14 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I'll eat the stuffing but no thanks on the peppers for
>> >me, too.

>> Snowflake Strikes Again!
>>

>Here Brucie, you can have my portion of the slimy peppers. But
>make sure you eat them on top a juicy, medium rare steak.

Sure, a nice juicy tofu steak!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 15:46:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:

" wrote:

>> I like stuffed peppers but don't like to eat the peppers that held
>> the stuffing.

>huh? Ok...you have to admit that's a bit strange.

Not for a snowflake. The things they think of! They're very
complicated people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 6:18:05 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 16:00:47 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Here Brucie, you can have my portion of the slimy peppers. But
> >make sure you eat them on top a juicy, medium rare steak.

> Sure, a nice juicy tofu steak!

Wuss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 00:50:48 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I like all colors of raw peppers, but sometimes find the green ones
> bitter.

I peel them with a carrot peeler. Yes, I lose about 1/4 of the pepper, but
I really don't like the texture of the skin, cooked or raw.

I don't buy the small peppers, and I chose peppers based on shape,
preferring those that are easer to peel after cut along the 'cleavage'
lines between the 3 or 4 resultant pieces.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 16:46:59 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 6:18:05 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 16:00:47 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Here Brucie, you can have my portion of the slimy peppers. But
>> >make sure you eat them on top a juicy, medium rare steak.

>> Sure, a nice juicy tofu steak!
>>

>Wuss.

Wuss? Sometimes I eat it while the tofu's still alive!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 21:57:40 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 13:20:14 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>> huh? Ok...you have to admit that's a bit strange.
>>> When I eat one, first thing I do is cut it all up so the pepper
>>> parts are mixed in with the stuffing.
>>>

>>I am not a bell pepper fan. That includes the yellow and red ones.
>>When cooked in a dish they're slimy but boiled okra doesn't bother me.

>I suspect that the peppers that are slimy are way overcooked. Blanch
>the large raw peppers no more than 30 seconds and drain. Let them sit
>while you make the filling, then stuff and bake -- maybe 1/2 hour.
>That way they still have a little crunch/ body to them and haven't yet
>become gray.
>Janet US
>
>---
>
>I only eat raw peppers. I love them raw)

We do too. Often they are our dinner vegetable. For picnicking in
the mountains or camping we must have raw peppers in the cooler.
Janet US

==

Yum)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri 20 Apr 2018 12:59:26p, S Viemeister told us...
>> On 4/20/2018 3:06 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low,
>>> sounds like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.

>> Depends on the model. My old 11 cup one has a single speed, the
>> newer 14 cup one, has two.

> My blender has continuously variable speeds as well as a pulse
> setting. There are also automatic settings for things like soup,
> smoothies, etc. I've had my Cuisinart Pro 14-cup machine for 30
> years. The part I've replaced is the cutting blade (it was a recall
> from Cuisinart). This think is powerful, with a 1 hp motor. It only
> has one speed and a pulse setting, but that works for everything I
> do.

My blender, which I rarely use, also has variable speeds. My 14 cup
Cuisinart is more recent than yours, with standard speed, pulse, and a
lower speed, used mostly for bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 07:27:16 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 4/20/2018 8:34 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Depends on the model. My old 11 cup one has a single speed, the
>>> newer 14 cup one, has two.

>> My blender has continuously variable speeds as well as a pulse
>> setting. There are also automatic settings for things like soup,
>> smoothies, etc. I've had my Cuisinart Pro 14-cup machine for 30
>> years. The part I've replaced is the cutting blade (it was a recall
>> from Cuisinart). This think is powerful, with a 1 hp motor. It only
>> has one speed and a pulse setting, but that works for everything I
>> do.
>>

>My blender, which I rarely use, also has variable speeds. My 14 cup
>Cuisinart is more recent than yours, with standard speed, pulse, and a
>lower speed, used mostly for bread.

They are young! I had an original Cuisinart, about 74/75 if I recall
correctly, then I found I missed it so much at the cottage that David
bought me another one and I took the original to the cottage. It has
pulse and one speed and over the years I have replaced the plastic
bowl and the main blade once. I believe this longevity is the reason
they suddenly started making things last ten years max.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make
> > Cottage pie. He likes that better.

> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store (now
> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>
> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
> a food processor?

I haven't tried it personally (I have a proper grinder) but I gather
from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of not over
pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 07:47:11 -0600, graham > wrote:

>Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green lentils.
>
>https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ment-114903529
>
>http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy

I fell asleep watching TV. When I woke there was a Brit somewhere in
England who owned his own pub. He was making shepherd's pie. He put
a whole lot of stewed tomatoes in his. I didn't think that was done.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-21 12:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 08:50:42 -0400, Dave Smith

they suddenly started making things last ten years max.

>> There was a time when manufacturer's prided themselves in making good
>> products. Then we opened up the markets and things are being made off
>> shore and selling cheaper. Paying more no longer guarantees longer life.
>>

> Don't blame it on the workers or off shore. The
> corporation/manufacturer makes no money if they make a product that
> lasts you a lifetime. It's called 'planned obsolescence.' Really.
> Marketing 101.

I think there is a little more to it that that. If one product is $50
and the well built one is $200, people will take the cheap one. Look at
the car business as an example. People tend to get cheap cars and
replace them frequently rather than spending two or three times as much
and getting something that lasts four times longer.

We did well by the Buick that I bought from my mother when she had to
give up driving. We got 18 years out of that car. It was funny to hear
an old neighbour on the topic of Buicks. He worked for a car dealership
and was always trying to sell me a Buick, saying what a great investment
they are because they are so well made. When we had that financial
meltdown a few years back his dealership was hit hard. He complained
that Buicks because there were so many old people driving around in old
Buicks that just won't die.

I have been through a lot of low end espresso makers. Most of them
broke down under warranty so they were replaced. At one point I was
thinking of getting a really good one. I had taken my machine in for
repairs and asked the owner of the shop if he could recommend a good
one. He said that they all break down. He showed me one that was in for
repair. IIRC it was worth about $3500 new. It was only a few years old
and needed repairs, but he could not get the parts for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Gary wrote:
>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>> >
>> > It's a long time since I have made Shepherd's pie. I tend to make
>> > Cottage pie. He likes that better.

>> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
>> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store (now
>> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>>
>> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>> a food processor?

> I haven't tried it personally (I have a proper grinder) but I gather
> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of not over
> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor works just
as well.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 08:50:42 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2018-04-21 8:25 AM, wrote:
> >> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 07:27:16 -0400, S Viemeister

> >> They are young! I had an original Cuisinart, about 74/75 if I recall
> >> correctly, then I found I missed it so much at the cottage that David
> >> bought me another one and I took the original to the cottage. It has
> >> pulse and one speed and over the years I have replaced the plastic
> >> bowl and the main blade once. I believe this longevity is the reason
> >> they suddenly started making things last ten years max.

> >There was a time when manufacturer's prided themselves in making good
> >products. Then we opened up the markets and things are being made off
> >shore and selling cheaper. Paying more no longer guarantees longer life..
> >

> Don't blame it on the workers or off shore. The
> corporation/manufacturer makes no money if they make a product that
> lasts you a lifetime. It's called 'planned obsolescence.' Really.
> Marketing 101.
> Janet US'

This really got going in the 50's, specifically by some companies such as General Motors...google "Vance Packard", he wrote best - sellers about this in the 50's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Waste_Makers

"The Waste Makers is a 1960 book on consumerism by Vance Packard. It was bestselling when it was released. The book argues that people in the United States consume a lot more than they should and are harmed by their consumption.

One reviewer summarized the book's thesis as follows:

'American society overemphasizes consumption, especially the quantity rather than the quality of what it consumes, and that it therefore sacrifices culture, prudence, and a proper concern for the future. He blames these distorted values on the business community, especially on the marketers and advertisers who have beguiled the public into accepting false standards.'

Another reviewer described how marketers "force feed" people into buying things which are wasteful.

Vance Packard worked to change the meaning of the term "consumerism" from a positive word about consumer practices to a negative word meaning excessive materialism and waste. The ads for his book The Waste Makers prominently featured the word "consumerism" in a negative way..."

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> Don't blame it on the workers or off shore. The
> corporation/manufacturer makes no money if they make a product that
> lasts you a lifetime. It's called 'planned obsolescence.' Really.
> Marketing 101.

Best current example of this is computer hardware and software
over the past 20 years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Gary wrote:

> > > I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
> > > buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store (now
> > > that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
> > >
> > > I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
> > > good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
> > > a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
> > > a food processor?

> > I haven't tried it personally (I have a proper grinder) but I gather
> > from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of not over
> > pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

> I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor works
> just as well.
>
> Cheri

Ok! I have lookd at getting a small food processor. It's languishing
on my wish list (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 09:46:06 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Gary wrote:

>>> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
>>> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store (now
>>> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>>>
>>> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>>> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that? Without
>>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>>> a food processor?

>> I haven't tried it personally (I have a proper grinder) but I gather
>> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of not over
>> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

>I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor works just
>as well.
>
>Cheri

I also have a proper grinder but the OP was wanting to try chopping
meat in a FP

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 2:45:09 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >
> > Don't blame it on the workers or off shore. The
> > corporation/manufacturer makes no money if they make a product that
> > lasts you a lifetime. It's called 'planned obsolescence.' Really.
> > Marketing 101.

> Best current example of this is computer hardware and software
> over the past 20 years.

Consumer-grade computers, perhaps. I've got a 20-year-old PowerPC-based
computer at work running AIX. It might be a little older than 20, even.

I've got a 30-year-old computer that isn't running right now, but I'm sure
it would boot up like a champ. Running SYS5 Unix from Motorola (if
memory serves).

My oldest PC at work must be almost 18. It was upgraded from Windows 2000
to Windows XP when support for 2000 ended.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-21 2:27 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 21 Apr 2018 09:16:13a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 07:47:11 -0600, graham >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green
>>> lentils.
>>>
>>> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...the-perfect-sh
>>> epherds-pie-recipe-felicity-cloake#comment-114903529
>>>
>>> http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy

>> I fell asleep watching TV. When I woke there was a Brit somewhere
>> in England who owned his own pub. He was making shepherd's pie.
>> He put a whole lot of stewed tomatoes in his. I didn't think that
>> was done. Janet US
>>

> I didn't think so either. A bit of tomato paste, maybe...

The recipes I have used called for a bit of ketchup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 02:49:42 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 21 Apr 2018 02:10:27p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 09:46:06 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor
>>>works just as well.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> I also have a proper grinder but the OP was wanting to try
>> chopping meat in a FP
>>
>> Janet US
>>

>At one point in time I did not have a proper grinder. I cut the meat
>into partially frozen ~3/4" cubes and pulsed them in small batches in
>the FP. Worked perfectly, however, one must keep a close eye on it.
>:-)

me too.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
news
> Cheri wrote:

>> > I haven't tried it personally (I have a proper grinder) but I gather
>> > from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of not over
>> > pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

>> I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor works
>> just as well.
>>
>> Cheri

> Ok! I have lookd at getting a small food processor. It's languishing
> on my wish list (grin).

I have the Basic Cuisinart, big enough for everything that I do with it, but
if having the family still at home a bigger one would probably be more
useful.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> news
> > Cheri wrote:

> make >>>>> Cottage pie. He likes that better.

> did >>> > buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my new grocery store (now

> in >>> > a food processor?

> gather >>> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of
> not over >>> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.
> > >

> > > I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor
> > > works just as well.
> > >
> > > Cheri

> > Ok! I have lookd at getting a small food processor. It's
> > languishing on my wish list (grin).

> I have the Basic Cuisinart, big enough for everything that I do with
> it, but if having the family still at home a bigger one would
> probably be more useful.
>
> Cheri

I've been eyeing small food processors here for a bit. The sort that
do about 2-3 cups max. So far, I hand chop or I have a small Japanese
brand blender (don't ask me model, can't read Japanese script).

The blender works for soups and making hummus nicely though it took
several runs to do the 8oz of lentils and matching tahini yesterday.
(I made up a lb of lentils with Tandoori seasoning yesterday and
Charlotte took about 1/2 and made Dal.)

The blender has pulse, low, and high. Holds about 4-4.5 cups but for
tahini, you have to use pulse and it works best if you at least partly
crush the sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle first. Then once to a
decent paste, add the beans (lentils this time so not sure if some
would call it 'hummus' or not.). I am thinking a real food processor
might make it easier?

I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather they
work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you normally make.

Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use will
be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of the results
don't have to be very distinct.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 09:46:06 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

> make >>> > Cottage pie. He likes that better.

> >> I haven't tried it personally (I have a proper grinder) but I

> gather >> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of
> not over >> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.
> >

> > I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor
> > works just as well.
> >
> > Cheri

> I also have a proper grinder but the OP was wanting to try chopping
> meat in a FP
>
> Janet US

Nothing wrong with experimenting!

For a hoot, Don used our little Japan bought blender on a bit of
leftover ham once. He was aiming to make something like potted meat
(like the little cans sold in the stores but healthier). I won't say
we got something that matched the 'deviled ham can' exactly but it was
a fun little trial! Tastey as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather they
> work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you normally make.
>
> Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use will
> be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of the results
> don't have to be very distinct.

Would this do for you?
See my other post about it too.
http://www.hostpic.org/images/1804221901160089.jpg

I bought this almost 3 years ago...
It cost only a bit over $20 at the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 09:48:01 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 09:46:06 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>> make >>> > Cottage pie. He likes that better.

>> gather >> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of
>> not over >> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.
>> >

>> > I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor
>> > works just as well.
>> >
>> > Cheri

>> I also have a proper grinder but the OP was wanting to try chopping
>> meat in a FP
>>
>> Janet US

>Nothing wrong with experimenting!
>
>For a hoot, Don used our little Japan bought blender on a bit of
>leftover ham once. He was aiming to make something like potted meat
>(like the little cans sold in the stores but healthier). I won't say
>we got something that matched the 'deviled ham can' exactly but it was
>a fun little trial! Tastey as well.

that is exactly what that little machine should be used for. Or
making bread crumbs. Or mincing onions or garlic, stuff like that
there is nothing shameful about using a food processor. I currently
have one that dices, slices, chops, shreds, juliennes, mixes, a bunch
of functions, all of which I find useful. It has a 13 cup capacity. I
use it a lot during 'putting up' season. There are a lot of things
that I simply couldn't do without a FP. That's before I even consider
that these days my arms and hands don't work the way they used to.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2018 8:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Cheri"* wrote in message news >> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too. I did
>>> buy 5lbs of gold potatoes today at my *new* grocery store (now
>>> that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(
>>>
>>> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>>> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that?* Without
>>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>>> a food processor?
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Will that not make it into a paste?

>> No, not if you pulse it, and not for long.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> OK thanks.** Not something I have ever tried)

> You have to pulse it for a very short time so it's chunky otherwise it's
> nasty. )
>
> Cheri

Caveat: I have never tried using the food processor to mince meat but I
agree with your assessment. Short pulses. I think an occasional stir
might be in order, too, until you reach the desired "ground" texture.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2018 3:59 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 4/20/2018 3:06 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
>>> Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.*

>> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low,
>> sounds like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.
>>

> Depends on the model. My old 11 cup one has a single speed, the newer 14
> cup one, has two.

In terms of cleaning the blades, what kind of food processor you have or
the number of settings doesn't really matter. We're now just talking
about using it to churn up water with dish soap to clean the blades. I
think it's a good idea.

I rarely use my FP for anything so I never gave cleaning the blades a
lot of deep thought. I do know I never cut myself on any of the blades
when washing them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2018 3:06 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
>>> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>>>
>>> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

>> That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
>> Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.*

> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low, sounds
> like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.
>
> Cheri

Well, it sounds like a quick way to clean a FP. I have an old Hamilton
Beach FP. I honestly couldn't tell you how many settings it has. I
rarely use it. But in this case I don't think the brand or the settings
matter. We're just talking swishing around hot water in an FP (or a
blender, for that matter) with some dish soap. I would then (carefully,
Gary!) remove the blade, rinse it and the bowl and let them both dry in
the dish rack. Certainly sounds feasible to me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2018 12:46 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Gary wrote:
>>

>>> I like cottage pies quite a bit. About time I made one too.(snip)
>>>
>>> I don't have ground beef but have thought about mincing up some
>>> good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that?* Without
>>> a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a few times in
>>> a food processor?

>> I haven't tried it personally (I have a proper grinder) but I gather
>> from reading others over the years, it's more a trick of not over
>> pulsing the food processor or you get 'red/pink slime'.

> I have a *proper grinder* too, but I do find the food processor works
> just as well.
>
> Cheri

I have never used my food processor to "grind" meat. If I was in Gary's
situation with some strip steaks and wanting to make cottage pie, I'd
likely give it a try. As you've said upthread, short pulses. I think
it might require a stir once in a while, too, to make sure things don't
get stuck and turned to mush.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri 20 Apr 2018 12:57:57p, S Viemeister told us...
>
>> On 4/20/2018 2:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and
>>> put some water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>>>
>>> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to
>>> rinse
>>>

>> Yes. I do my blender the same way.

> when I had my old Osterizer the jar, blades, and based could be
> completely disassembled and washed in the dishwasher. My new Oster
> blender has a one piece containeer/blades/base, and cannot be put in
> the dishwasher. I believe most manufacturers are making them that
> way now.

Why on earth would you buy a blender like that?!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2018 1:35 PM, wrote:
> On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 8:47:14 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:
>>
>> Not bad but with the price of lamb, I pad mine out with green lentils.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ment-114903529

>> http://tiny.cc/cu4tsy
>>

> What in sam hill are "floury potatoes"?

Russets!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Joan wrote:
> > What in sam hill are "floury potatoes"?
> >

> Russets!

My least favorite too. Decent enough for fries, hash browns,
smashed potatoes... but that's it. Worst choice ever for a baked
potato.

I prefer red (or the recent buy of Gold) for most everything. I
would be very happy if I never had a russett again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 4/20/2018 3:06 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> No, a brush should be fine but why not leave it all set up and put some
>>> water and a little dish soap in it and turn it on low.
>>>
>>> It should clean itself and then hopefully, you will just need to rinse

>> That sounds like it might work well. Didn't think of that.
>> Thank you...I'll let you know how it went.

> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low, sounds
> like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.
>
> Cheri

Well, it sounds like a quick way to clean a FP. I have an old Hamilton
Beach FP. I honestly couldn't tell you how many settings it has. I
rarely use it. But in this case I don't think the brand or the settings
matter. We're just talking swishing around hot water in an FP (or a
blender, for that matter) with some dish soap. I would then (carefully,
Gary!) remove the blade, rinse it and the bowl and let them both dry in
the dish rack. Certainly sounds feasible to me.

Jill

==

It's what I do

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 12:11:13 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Joan wrote:
> > > What in sam hill are "floury potatoes"?
> > >

> > Russets!

> My least favorite too. Decent enough for fries, hash browns,
> smashed potatoes... but that's it. Worst choice ever for a baked
> potato.
>
> I prefer red (or the recent buy of Gold) for most everything. I
> would be very happy if I never had a russett again.

Oddly enough, everybody else prefers russets for baking, by a wide
margin.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2018 12:11 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Joan wrote:
>>> What in sam hill are "floury potatoes"?
>>>

>> Russets!

> My least favorite too. Decent enough for fries, hash browns,
> smashed potatoes... but that's it. Worst choice ever for a baked
> potato.
>
> I prefer red (or the recent buy of Gold) for most everything. I
> would be very happy if I never had a russett again.

But we're talking about *mashed potatoes* for Shepherd's (or Cottage)
pie. Russets are considered floury potatoes. Idaho potatoes. I find
they do make the best mashed potatoes.

Read the box of those potato flakes, I'm pretty sure you have Hungry
Jack or Idohoan in the pantry. I'll bet you a quarter it says they're
made from "Idaho" potatoes which are a type of russets. Heheh.

I like all kinds of potatoes. But I don't use waxy potatoes to make
mashed potatoes for cottage pie. Waxy potatoes don't fluff well.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2018 12:17 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 12:11:13 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Russets!

>> My least favorite too. Decent enough for fries, hash browns,
>> smashed potatoes... but that's it. Worst choice ever for a baked
>> potato.
>>
>> I prefer red (or the recent buy of Gold) for most everything. I
>> would be very happy if I never had a russett again.

> Oddly enough, everybody else prefers russets for baking, by a wide
> margin.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I prefer russets for baking, and definitely for *mashed potatoes*, even
if they aren't intended to be used in Shepherd's or Cottage pie.

Jill