Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What kind of a trashy cook would use this "recipe"??

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 3/12/2016 10:59 AM, rosie wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 10:21:48 AM UTC-6,
> > MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> > > http://www.ro-tel.com/recipes-King-R...cken-3541.html
> > >
> > > Dog vomit.
> > >
> > > --Bryan

> > OK I am a trashy cook. I make this every once in awhile and it is
> > good. Give it a try.
> >

> I don't think you're a trashy cook. Anybody that says that about
> people that cook for the ones they love is a trashy human.
>
> I wouldn't make the dish myself but I'd certainly try it. The foods
> typically prepared by Americans in the 60's and 70's fascinate me. We
> never got into that kind of cooking on this rock in the middle of
> nowhere. One of these days, I'd like to have a dinner party with 60's
> American foods. My son can make the green bean casserole.

LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt bother me
now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:

> LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt bother me
> now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
> Carol

Spam long rice sounds trashy alright. OTOH, I could go for a bowl of
this stuff.

http://www.foodland.com/video/chicken-long-rice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-03-12 4:26 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Sometimes onions can take a little while. I had one with a really
>>> hard skin on it last night.

> Julie, you need a sharper knife.

There is a family aversion to the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 3/12/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt
> > bother me now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
> > Carol
> >

> Spam long rice sounds trashy alright. OTOH, I could go for a bowl of
> this stuff.
>
> http://www.foodland.com/video/chicken-long-rice

Heheh well here's part of tonight's dinner.

http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/cs...F3004.jpg.html

That will go over rice.

I can post pictures again now that I have a working decent camera. I
just have to get the date function set. It seems convinced this is
2012 or somthing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 17:51:31 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>> Julie, you need a sharper knife.
>>

>There is a family aversion to the sharpest knife in the drawer.

http://www.wackybuttons.com/designcodes/110/1100956.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On 3/12/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > >
> > > LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt
> > > bother me now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
> > > Carol
> > >

> > Spam long rice sounds trashy alright. OTOH, I could go for a bowl of
> > this stuff.
> >
> > http://www.foodland.com/video/chicken-long-rice

> Heheh well here's part of tonight's dinner.
>
> http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/cs...SCF3004.jpg.ht
> ml
>
> That will go over rice.
>
> I can post pictures again now that I have a working decent camera. I
> just have to get the date function set. It seems convinced this is
> 2012 or somthing.

http://www.foodland.com/video/hoisin...ecue-spareribs

Looks good but the miso seems wrong type. There was a milder mixed
sort than Japan, sold in Hawaii.

You would nt use Japan type by the 1/2 cup. It's like 50% salt tasting
by volume. I never got the Hawaii kind when there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 3/12/2016 10:59 AM, rosie wrote:

>> > OK I am a trashy cook. I make this every once in awhile and it is
>> > good. Give it a try.
>> >

>> I don't think you're a trashy cook. Anybody that says that about
>> people that cook for the ones they love is a trashy human.
>>
>> I wouldn't make the dish myself but I'd certainly try it. The foods
>> typically prepared by Americans in the 60's and 70's fascinate me. We
>> never got into that kind of cooking on this rock in the middle of
>> nowhere. One of these days, I'd like to have a dinner party with 60's
>> American foods. My son can make the green bean casserole.

> LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt bother me
> now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
> Carol

Sounds great to me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 3:11:51 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On 3/12/2016 10:59 AM, rosie wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 10:21:48 AM UTC-6, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> >> http://www.ro-tel.com/recipes-King-R...cken-3541.html
> >>
> >> Dog vomit.
> >>
> >> --Bryan

> > OK I am a trashy cook. I make this every once in awhile and it is good. Give it a try.
> >

> I don't think you're a trashy cook. Anybody that says that about people
> that cook for the ones they love is a trashy human.
>
> I wouldn't make the dish myself but I'd certainly try it. The foods
> typically prepared by Americans in the 60's and 70's fascinate me. We
> never got into that kind of cooking on this rock in the middle of
> nowhere. One of these days, I'd like to have a dinner party with 60's
> American foods. My son can make the green bean casserole.

You have your own shitty cooking, and the thing that appeals to you about
mainland cooking is the shittiest era.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I don't think you're a trashy cook. Anybody that says that about
> > > people that cook for the ones they love is a trashy human.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't make the dish myself but I'd certainly try it. The
> > > foods typically prepared by Americans in the 60's and 70's
> > > fascinate me. We never got into that kind of cooking on this rock
> > > in the middle of nowhere. One of these days, I'd like to have a
> > > dinner party with 60's American foods. My son can make the green
> > > bean casserole.

> > LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt
> > bother me now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
> > Carol

> Sounds great to me.
>
> Cheri

Grin, from Hari Kojima (You may have seen him on fishing shows, also a
great cook)

Spam long rice

3/4 can spam (12oz), sliver whole can and reserve 1/4 for omelet next
day. Slivers about 1.5 inches long.

2 rolls dried long rice, soak 30 mins and drain (he means long grain
and it would be about 1 cup dry long grain there I think?).

1 can oyster mushroom, drain and slice thin (me, about 1/2 cup thin
sliced king oyster will work if you can't find cans)

1 package dried mushrom soaked 30 mins (he means about 4oz dry
shiitake most likely, can use 1/2 cup fresh shiitake fine here)

3/4 ts grated or fine chopped ginger

1 small onion diced, not super fine dice.

2 TB mirin (rice wine)

Green onions for garnish

Brown the spam with the round onion and ginger then when done add the
mushrooms, mirin and long rice. Add water to cover then add shoyu (soy
sauce) to taste. Let simmer until the rice is cooked.

He adds an optional 6-8 dried shrimp work well here and I agree.

Like many asian recipes, he's not real exact but that's ok. Recipes of
this type do not need to be.

I've made this with 1 cup long grain rice, 2 cups water and the rest as
above. *SOUNDS* like trash cooking, it's not though.

Now Chicken Long rice is very close but uses more rice and uses chicken
broth, 1 pack dried mushroom (4oz or so dried shiitake likely) but not
the second mushroom and adds celery.

Grin, both sound trashy and neither are.
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 3/12/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt
> > bother me now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
> > Carol
> >

> Spam long rice sounds trashy alright. OTOH, I could go for a bowl of
> this stuff.
>
> http://www.foodland.com/video/chicken-long-rice

Interesting BTW that this version uses rice noodle! I suspect 'long
rice' had more meanings than I knew when I lived there? There were
these long tubes of long grain rice (about 1/2 cup) like the mahatma
yellow rice ones. I remember a Hari Kojima show where he used those.
He was grinning as he called it 'long rice' so maybe an inside joke I
didnt catch? BTW in his books if he means rice noodle, he says rice
noodle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Spam long rice sounds trashy alright. OTOH, I could go for a bowl
> > > of this stuff.
> > >
> > > http://www.foodland.com/video/chicken-long-rice

> > Heheh well here's part of tonight's dinner.
> >
> > http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/cs...g/DSCF3004.jpg.
> > ht ml
> >
> > That will go over rice.
> >
> > I can post pictures again now that I have a working decent camera.
> > I just have to get the date function set. It seems convinced this
> > is 2012 or somthing.

> http://www.foodland.com/video/hoisin...ecue-spareribs
>
> Looks good but the miso seems wrong type. There was a milder mixed
> sort than Japan, sold in Hawaii.
>
> You would nt use Japan type by the 1/2 cup. It's like 50% salt
> tasting by volume. I never got the Hawaii kind when there.

Oh added on, I found a hand note made in my 'Hari Kojima's Local Style
Favorites' cook book. On page 28 on the Miso Chicken he uses a 27oz
carton of white miso. I was able to translate it to 3-4TB miso with
dashi or chicken broth to volume for that recipe which comes out about
right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 12:11:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Which is still loaded with salt! Most all processed foods are.
>>> Restaurant
>>> foods too! Salt is very cheap and makes people go "YUM!", much like
>>> sugar!

>>So? Salt is only a problem if one is salt sensitive and that's not many
>>of
>>us.

> Remember you said that when you next invent yet another food allergy
> for yourself.

What?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 3/12/2016 10:59 AM, rosie wrote:

>> > OK I am a trashy cook. I make this every once in awhile and it is
>> > good. Give it a try.
>> >

>> I don't think you're a trashy cook. Anybody that says that about
>> people that cook for the ones they love is a trashy human.
>>
>> I wouldn't make the dish myself but I'd certainly try it. The foods
>> typically prepared by Americans in the 60's and 70's fascinate me. We
>> never got into that kind of cooking on this rock in the middle of
>> nowhere. One of these days, I'd like to have a dinner party with 60's
>> American foods. My son can make the green bean casserole.

> LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt bother me
> now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
> Carol

I just ordered some Spam Snacks in a pouch. Somebody will be getting them
in his Easter basket!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
news
> >Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Sometimes onions can take a little while. I had one with a really
>>> hard skin on it last night.

> Julie, you need a sharper knife.

Nope. Knives are very new. Same thing happened last year. Someone here
pointed out that at this time of year, the onions are old. I believe that.
Hard to find good ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 2:12:09 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> >> But most people don't have a problem with sodium and they do make a low
> >> sodium soup.

> > Which is still loaded with salt! Most all processed foods are.
> > Restaurant
> > foods too! Salt is very cheap and makes people go "YUM!", much like
> > sugar!

> So? Salt is only a problem if one is salt sensitive and that's not many
> of
> us.

We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main electolytes in our
bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of dietary salt causes one to be
very thirsty for water, which is how our bodies flush out the excess
salt/sodium. Of course an excess of salt also plays a large role in high
blood pressure and a host of other maladies.

John Kuthe...

---

Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very few people
are sensitive in terms of high BP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:30:42 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 2:12:09 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> > > Which is still loaded with salt! Most all processed foods are.
> > > Restaurant
> > > foods too! Salt is very cheap and makes people go "YUM!", much like
> > > sugar!

> > So? Salt is only a problem if one is salt sensitive and that's not many
> > of
> > us.

> We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main electolytes in our
> bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of dietary salt causes one to be
> very thirsty for water, which is how our bodies flush out the excess
> salt/sodium. Of course an excess of salt also plays a large role in high
> blood pressure and a host of other maladies.
>
> John Kuthe...
>
> ---
>
> Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very few people
> are sensitive in terms of high BP.

You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 4:54:21 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:

> You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.

Please present some statistics on how many hypertensives are sensitive
to salt.

Thanks,

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:30:42 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

>> > So? Salt is only a problem if one is salt sensitive and that's not
>> > many
>> > of
>> > us.

>> We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main electolytes in our
>> bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of dietary salt causes one to
>> be
>> very thirsty for water, which is how our bodies flush out the excess
>> salt/sodium. Of course an excess of salt also plays a large role in high
>> blood pressure and a host of other maladies.
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very few
>> people
>> are sensitive in terms of high BP.

> You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.
>
> John Kuthe...

You know outdated information.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...t-failure.aspx

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...ne-health.html

http://www.foodandnutrition.org/Marc...Sodium-Debate/

Two of my Drs. even told me to increase my salt intake because I tend to run
towards low sodium in my blood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
> news

> > Julie, you need a sharper knife.

> Nope. Knives are very new. Same thing happened last year. Someone
> here pointed out that at this time of year, the onions are old. I
> believe that. Hard to find good ones.

That makes sense. For me, down here they get softer in the stores at
this season but the variety and storage where you are could go the
other way easily enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 12:11:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

> > > So? Salt is only a problem if one is salt sensitive and that's
> > > not many of us.

> > Remember you said that when you next invent yet another food allergy
> > for yourself.

> What?

He's just making noise. Julie, you are right that many here are not
salt sensitive. My husband is but not wildly so. If he stays within
USDA recommendations or a little under, he's ok. I generally aim him
at 1500mg a day which gives him a little wriggle room if he wants the
occasional splurge.

You probably are remembering that I've posted how Don and I were part
of a real study in Japan. It took weeks and there were follow-ups for
years. Don tests salt reactive but with a fine tuning, he doesnt need
a true low sodium diet because get him to a reasonable level, he stops
the blood pressure rise. Lower extreme diets make no difference.

In my case, no salt amount they threw at me made any difference in my
blood pressure. I am however stress and pain reactive (so is everyone).

The study for the rest was over why so many USA people stationed in
Japan developed low level hypertension (BP issues). Results were
pretty clear. The local diet is higher in sodium than the average
American eats. The bit of suprise is how many of us were not reacting
to the salt at all and no reduction (or addition) made any difference.

So I wouldnt say no one is salt reactive, but that many of us aren't.
I am not. Don is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/13/2016 11:34 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Julie, you need a sharper knife.

>> Nope. Knives are very new. Same thing happened last year. Someone
>> here pointed out that at this time of year, the onions are old. I
>> believe that. Hard to find good ones.

> That makes sense. For me, down here they get softer in the stores at
> this season but the variety and storage where you are could go the
> other way easily enough.

Yes, I remember the tough onion discussion. Of course it makes sense
the onions might have been old.

I'll admit I don't know a thing about when onions grown in Washington
are fresh. I've only heard of Walla Walla's). It could well be she has
been buying onions, which store very well, from last season.

Again, I don't know about the growing season for fresh Washington
onions. I do know it's still not warm enough here in southern South
Carolina for really fresh onions to be showing up. It's too early. The
growing season in this part of the US is a lot longer than where you live.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> ... On
> Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 2:12:09 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> wrote: >>> >> > On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:45:23 PM UTC-6,
> Julie Bove wrote: >>> >> > > "Gary" > wrote in
> message >>> >> > > ...

> http://www.ro-tel.com/recipes-King-R...cken-3541.html >>> >> > >

> to >> >> > > >> prep >>> >> > > >> that?

> generous >>> >> > > >> to

> "cream >> >> > of" >>> >> > Campbell's salt BOMBS!! Yuck!!

> Campbell's >>> > soup. I''ll bet between those two cans is 2KG of
> SALT! Close to it >>> > anyway.

> a low >>> sodium soup.
> > >
> >> Which is still loaded with salt! Most all processed foods are. >

> Restaurant >> foods too! Salt is very cheap and makes people go
> "YUM!", much like > sugar!
> >
> > So? Salt is only a problem if one is salt sensitive and that's not
> > many of us.

> We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main electolytes in
> our bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of dietary salt causes
> one to be very thirsty for water, which is how our bodies flush out
> the excess salt/sodium. Of course an excess of salt also plays a
> large role in high blood pressure and a host of other maladies.
>
> John Kuthe...
>
> ---
>
> Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very few
> people are sensitive in terms of high BP.

It's become a rote diagnosis these days. USA teachings for medical
people are all about salt being evil. There's a sense to that because
for some it IS evil and everytime any of us see the local medical place
you automatically get these printed sheets telling you to reduce fat
and salt intake. I laughed as Charlotte got one when she went in for a
flu shot. I got them when I went in with a broken finger and Don gets
them when he goes in to renew his ADVAIR.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:30:42 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> > > wrote: >> >> > On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:45:23 PM UTC-6,
> > > Julie Bove wrote: >> >> > > "Gary" > wrote in
> > > message >> >> > > ...

> > > http://www.ro-tel.com/recipes-King-R...cken-3541.html >> >>

> > > minutes to >> >> > > >> prep
> > > generous >> >> > > >> to

> > > not? >> >> > > > Not all good meals come from scratch.

> > > "cream >> >> > of"

> > > the >> >> exclamation marks.

> > > Campbell's >> > soup. I''ll bet between those two cans is 2KG of
> > > SALT! Close to it >> > anyway.

> > > make a low >> sodium soup.

> > > So? Salt is only a problem if one is salt sensitive and that's
> > > not many of
> > > us.

> > We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main electolytes
> > in our bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of dietary salt
> > causes one to be very thirsty for water, which is how our bodies
> > flush out the excess salt/sodium. Of course an excess of salt also
> > plays a large role in high blood pressure and a host of other
> > maladies.
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very
> > few people are sensitive in terms of high BP.

> You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.
>
> John Kuthe...

John, Nurses know nothing on this. They only know the rote stuff they
are told. Walk in with serious pain due to spinal issues, have high BP
reading, Nurse tells you to reduce your salt intake.. Doc says same.
Get tramadol refill and take it, BP drops to normal. Toss out silly
sheets saying your BP was high due to salt intake.

Notably John, they don't even ASK what my salt intake levels are. It's
just a rote diagnosis.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/defau...ights_uploads/
insight3.pdf

I aim Don at about 1,500mg a day and since we eat the same foods, I am
fairly close to there. Because we eat significantly less processed
foods than average, it's pretty easy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/13/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main electolytes in
>> our bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of dietary salt causes
>> one to be very thirsty for water, which is how our bodies flush out
>> the excess salt/sodium. Of course an excess of salt also plays a
>> large role in high blood pressure and a host of other maladies.
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very few
>> people are sensitive in terms of high BP.

> It's become a rote diagnosis these days. USA teachings for medical
> people are all about salt being evil.

I don't know about USA medical people being taught salt is evil. I like
salt. I don't salt food before tasting it but I've always liked salt.
I do know I never had a doctor tell me to lower my salt intake.
Conversely, I never had one tell me to increase it.

There's always some fearmonger out there with some "study" yelling about
salt = high blood pressure. What about cholesterol? Remember when eggs
were bad for you? Oh wait, no they're not. Flip flop "science".

I don't pay much attention to these reports. I eat whatever I like,
whenever I like, always in moderation.

Oh, and Kuthe seems to think drinking water is a bad thing. I drink
water every day, even if I haven't eaten anything salty.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 4:54:21 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.

> Please present some statistics on how many hypertensives are sensitive
> to salt.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I just posted a link to where some of it started. See, the USA doesnt
really 'study' this, they just know a segment are salt related.

The actual testing Don and I had done validate that many will have
hypertension (HTN which John tried to be cute about not translating).
It also showed clearly that it is not 'universal' which John probably
does not know.

It's in the excerpt that it's safe to reduce salt for all of us and
that it was too expensive to conduct detailed studies.

What was funny was you could tell from the chart data, if I was at sea
or inport and you could see if it was a short inport (3-4 days or less)
or if it was a week or so, a spike 2 days before I pulled out to sea
again.

I don't recall the exact details of how the weeks went but you had to
write down a diary of everything you ate and how much of it. If you
used a can of something, how much of the can you ate that meal. You
had to take BPs with a home monitor every 2 hours and record the time
of eating and the BP time as well as a rough of what you had done in
the last 15 minutes before the BP was taken. Don was able to give
better values because he was not on a ship at sea.

There was a week of 'eat normally and record it' then a week of
seriously reduced sodium (I think the aim was 750mg a day?) then a week
of salt bomb (4,000mg a day or higher) then a median week in there
aimed at 2,400mg a day.

My values stayed the same no matter the sodium intake but shifted based
on stress. Don showed stress and salt relation. Don also reacted at
USDA 2,400mg a day but minimal reaction at 2,000 a day and none at
1,800 a day. Aiming for 1,500 a day gives him a little wriggle room if
at the bar, he wants a salty snack. His data shows that the occasional
(truely, not more than once a month) salt bomb is ok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 6:20:03 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> > On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:30:42 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main electolytes in our
> >> bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of dietary salt causes one to
> >> be
> >> very thirsty for water, which is how our bodies flush out the excess
> >> salt/sodium. Of course an excess of salt also plays a large role in high
> >> blood pressure and a host of other maladies.
> >>
> >> John Kuthe...
> >>
> >> ---
> >>
> >> Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very few
> >> people
> >> are sensitive in terms of high BP.

> > You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> You know outdated information.
>
> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...t-failure.aspx
>
> http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...ne-health.html
>
> http://www.foodandnutrition.org/Marc...Sodium-Debate/
>
> Two of my Drs. even told me to increase my salt intake because I tend to run
> towards low sodium in my blood.

Julie, Julie, Julie...I see you're still going to those QUACK sites for advice. When will you ever learn?
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> > On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:30:42 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> UTC-6, Julie Bove > >> >> > wrote: >>> >> >> > > "Gary"
> > wrote in message >>> >> >> > >

> http://www.ro-tel.com/recipes-King-R...cken-3541.html >>> >> >>

> minutes to >>> >> >> > > >> prep

> not? >>> >> >> > > > Not all good meals come from scratch.

> the >>> >> >> exclamation marks.

> 2KG of SALT! Close to it >>> >> > anyway.

> make a > >> low >>> >> sodium soup.

> like >>> > sugar!

> not > many >>> of
> > >
> > > We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main
> > > electolytes in our bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of
> > > dietary salt causes one to be very thirsty for water, which is
> > > how our bodies flush out the excess salt/sodium. Of course an
> > > excess of salt also plays a large role in high blood pressure and
> > > a host of other maladies.
> > >
> > > John Kuthe...
> > >
> > > ---
> > >
> > > Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very
> > > few people are sensitive in terms of high BP.

> > You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> You know outdated information.
>
> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...02/08/salt-int
> ake-heart-failure.aspx
>
> http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...-bone-health.h
> tml
>
> http://www.foodandnutrition.org/Marc...Sodium-Debate/
>
> Two of my Drs. even told me to increase my salt intake because I tend
> to run towards low sodium in my blood.

Curious but do you know your general sodium and potassium intakes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I don't think you're a trashy cook. Anybody that says that about
> > > people that cook for the ones they love is a trashy human.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't make the dish myself but I'd certainly try it. The
> > > foods typically prepared by Americans in the 60's and 70's
> > > fascinate me. We never got into that kind of cooking on this rock
> > > in the middle of nowhere. One of these days, I'd like to have a
> > > dinner party with 60's American foods. My son can make the green
> > > bean casserole.

> > LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt
> > bother me now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
> > Carol

> I just ordered some Spam Snacks in a pouch. Somebody will be getting
> them in his Easter basket!

Snicker, works for me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 3/13/2016 11:34 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Nope. Knives are very new. Same thing happened last year.
> > > Someone here pointed out that at this time of year, the onions
> > > are old. I believe that. Hard to find good ones.

> > That makes sense. For me, down here they get softer in the stores
> > at this season but the variety and storage where you are could go
> > the other way easily enough.
> >

> Yes, I remember the tough onion discussion. Of course it makes sense
> the onions might have been old.
>
> I'll admit I don't know a thing about when onions grown in Washington
> are fresh. I've only heard of Walla Walla's). It could well be she
> has been buying onions, which store very well, from last season.
>
> Again, I don't know about the growing season for fresh Washington
> onions. I do know it's still not warm enough here in southern South
> Carolina for really fresh onions to be showing up. It's too early.
> The growing season in this part of the US is a lot longer than where
> you live.
>
> Jill

Same ideas Jill. I know I just started my garden up a bit. 4 tomatoes
and some seed milder chiles. I have to start my green onion beds over
as Don decided to clear all the containers down to scratch with new
soil but he's right. We had just enough overspray while trying to deal
with the back yard neighbor's fall worms in the pecans, that I didnt
want to eat those.

Humm, are shallot greens good?

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
>Doris Night wrote:
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>I had one with a really hard skin on it last night.

Um, normal people peel onions before slicing.

>>Julie, you need a sharper knife.

>Nope. Knives are very new.

Brand new knives are typically dull right out of the box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 1:28:44 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> cshenk wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Spam long rice sounds trashy alright. OTOH, I could go for a bowl of
> > > this stuff.
> > >
> > > http://www.foodland.com/video/chicken-long-rice

> > Heheh well here's part of tonight's dinner.
> >
> > http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/cs...SCF3004.jpg.ht
> > ml
> >
> > That will go over rice.
> >
> > I can post pictures again now that I have a working decent camera. I
> > just have to get the date function set. It seems convinced this is
> > 2012 or somthing.

> http://www.foodland.com/video/hoisin...ecue-spareribs
>
> Looks good but the miso seems wrong type. There was a milder mixed
> sort than Japan, sold in Hawaii.
>
> You would nt use Japan type by the 1/2 cup. It's like 50% salt tasting
> by volume. I never got the Hawaii kind when there.
>
> --

I've never had miso ribs but that would be pretty tasty. The miso sold here is the white miso and the red miso. The white has a mild flavor and the red has a stronger, somewhat sour, taste. Either one is pretty good although for ribs, the red would seem to be a good choice. I'd use the white for miso butterfish and the red for salmon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 3/13/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> > > We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main
> > > electolytes in our bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of
> > > dietary salt causes one to be very thirsty for water, which is
> > > how our bodies flush out the excess salt/sodium. Of course an
> > > excess of salt also plays a large role in high blood pressure and
> > > a host of other maladies.
> > >
> > > John Kuthe...
> > >
> > > ---
> > >
> > > Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very
> > > few people are sensitive in terms of high BP.

> > It's become a rote diagnosis these days. USA teachings for medical
> > people are all about salt being evil.

> I don't know about USA medical people being taught salt is evil. I
> like salt. I don't salt food before tasting it but I've always liked
> salt. I do know I never had a doctor tell me to lower my salt intake.
> Conversely, I never had one tell me to increase it.
>
> There's always some fearmonger out there with some "study" yelling
> about salt = high blood pressure. What about cholesterol? Remember
> when eggs were bad for you? Oh wait, no they're not. Flip flop
> "science".
>
> I don't pay much attention to these reports. I eat whatever I like,
> whenever I like, always in moderation.
>
> Oh, and Kuthe seems to think drinking water is a bad thing. I drink
> water every day, even if I haven't eaten anything salty.
>
> Jill

Yup! The only relation to salt and water is drinking really large
amounts with athletes (or in Sasebo Japan, high heat). Sodium and
other electrolyte replacement (includes potassium) is very important if
you sweat a lot in a hot place or working out. (or both).

Your climate is hot enough to sweat a fair amount when outside, but
theres a difference when inside a metal ship and the AC is down due to
upgrades. Even with the AC on, at 100F, it's going to hit 90's except
in a few specially cooled electronics spaces.

Qoo was my drink of choice there. Next up was Pocari Sweat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 6:20:03 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> > On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:30:42 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main electolytes in our
> >> bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of dietary salt causes one to
> >> be
> >> very thirsty for water, which is how our bodies flush out the excess
> >> salt/sodium. Of course an excess of salt also plays a large role in high
> >> blood pressure and a host of other maladies.
> >>
> >> John Kuthe...
> >>
> >> ---
> >>
> >> Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very few
> >> people
> >> are sensitive in terms of high BP.

> > You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> You know outdated information.
>
> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...t-failure.aspx
>
> http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...ne-health.html
>
> http://www.foodandnutrition.org/Marc...Sodium-Debate/
>
> Two of my Drs. even told me to increase my salt intake because I tend to run
> towards low sodium in my blood.

Oh, OK. Because like Bryan and so many others, since you have Internet access and Google, you are now suddently a medical professional!! Very good! You will no longer be requiring ANY medical care then! Why do you listen to TWO of your doctors!! Just go to MedicalDiagnosis.wrong!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 3:11:51 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> On 3/12/2016 10:59 AM, rosie wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 10:21:48 AM UTC-6, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> >> http://www.ro-tel.com/recipes-King-R...cken-3541.html
> >>
> >> Dog vomit.
> >>
> >> --Bryan

> > OK I am a trashy cook. I make this every once in awhile and it is good. Give it a try.
> >thank you ! My kids love this and ask me to fix it when they are here.

> I don't think you're a trashy cook. Anybody that says that about people
> that cook for the ones they love is a trashy human.
>
> I wouldn't make the dish myself but I'd certainly try it. The foods
> typically prepared by Americans in the 60's and 70's fascinate me. We
> never got into that kind of cooking on this rock in the middle of
> nowhere. One of these days, I'd like to have a dinner party with 60's
> American foods. My son can make the green bean casserole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 6:01:58 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On 3/12/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > >
> > > LOL, there's plenty of trash Hawaiian cookery though. Doesnt
> > > bother me now nor then. Spam long rice anyone?
> > > Carol
> > >

> > Spam long rice sounds trashy alright. OTOH, I could go for a bowl of
> > this stuff.
> >
> > http://www.foodland.com/video/chicken-long-rice

> Interesting BTW that this version uses rice noodle! I suspect 'long
> rice' had more meanings than I knew when I lived there? There were
> these long tubes of long grain rice (about 1/2 cup) like the mahatma
> yellow rice ones. I remember a Hari Kojima show where he used those.
> He was grinning as he called it 'long rice' so maybe an inside joke I
> didnt catch? BTW in his books if he means rice noodle, he says rice
> noodle.
>

> --

The locals call the stuff "long rice" but it says "bean thread" on the package. The folks on the mainland like to call it cellophane noodles. It's made with mung beans not rice or cellophane though. I'm not sure what rice noodle is.

Hari Kojima was a fisherman who worked at worked at Tamashiro Market that somehow morphed into a fishing/cooking show host. He passed away a few years ago. Hawaii used to be a place that had a strong fishing culture but it seems that culture is fading fast. It's an end of an era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7mObeaZH2I

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 12:32:27 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 4:54:21 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > > You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.

> > Please present some statistics on how many hypertensives are sensitive
> > to salt.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I just posted a link to where some of it started. See, the USA doesnt
> really 'study' this, they just know a segment are salt related.

I really hoped Kuthe would do his own homework. Ah, well, ever the
optimist.

> The actual testing Don and I had done validate that many will have
> hypertension (HTN which John tried to be cute about not translating).
> It also showed clearly that it is not 'universal' which John probably
> does not know.

I eat a metric boatload of salt, and my BP is fine. I probably add
more salt to my morning oatmeal than some of the salt nannies eat
in an entire day.

> It's in the excerpt that it's safe to reduce salt for all of us and
> that it was too expensive to conduct detailed studies.

Well, sure. It wouldn't hurt me to reduce my salt intake, but it
probably wouldn't do any good, either.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 12:18:51 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> OOOOH!!
>
> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/c...h-yellow-curry
>
> I think that sounds right up our alley! We like a saucy curry.

I saved that one too.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/12/2016 07:53 PM, cshenk wrote:

> I've made this with 1 cup long grain rice, 2 cups water and the rest as
> above. *SOUNDS* like trash cooking, it's not though.
>
> Now Chicken Long rice is very close but uses more rice and uses chicken
> broth, 1 pack dried mushroom (4oz or so dried shiitake likely) but not
> the second mushroom and adds celery.
>
> Grin, both sound trashy and neither are.
> Carol

In Hawaii, "long rice" means Bean Thread Noodles, AKA Cellophane Noodles
or Glass Noodles. Stuff made with long rice is sometimes served over
regular rice, long grain or not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message

>> > Remember you said that when you next invent yet another food allergy
>> > for yourself.

>> What?

> He's just making noise. Julie, you are right that many here are not
> salt sensitive. My husband is but not wildly so. If he stays within
> USDA recommendations or a little under, he's ok. I generally aim him
> at 1500mg a day which gives him a little wriggle room if he wants the
> occasional splurge.
>
> You probably are remembering that I've posted how Don and I were part
> of a real study in Japan. It took weeks and there were follow-ups for
> years. Don tests salt reactive but with a fine tuning, he doesnt need
> a true low sodium diet because get him to a reasonable level, he stops
> the blood pressure rise. Lower extreme diets make no difference.
>
> In my case, no salt amount they threw at me made any difference in my
> blood pressure. I am however stress and pain reactive (so is everyone).
>
> The study for the rest was over why so many USA people stationed in
> Japan developed low level hypertension (BP issues). Results were
> pretty clear. The local diet is higher in sodium than the average
> American eats. The bit of suprise is how many of us were not reacting
> to the salt at all and no reduction (or addition) made any difference.
>
> So I wouldnt say no one is salt reactive, but that many of us aren't.
> I am not. Don is.

I'm not either. A military Dr. put me on the DASH diet. He was convinced
that it would help me. Didn't do a thing for me and I suffered through that
boring food. He had me checking my BP frequently. No change. But I have a
friend who can eat a single piece of bacon and blow up like a puffer fish.
She is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> UTC-6, Julie Bove > >> >> > wrote: >>> >> >> > > "Gary"
>> > wrote in message >>> >> >> > >

>> http://www.ro-tel.com/recipes-King-R...cken-3541.html >>> >> >>

>> minutes to >>> >> >> > > >> prep

>> not? >>> >> >> > > > Not all good meals come from scratch.

>> the >>> >> >> exclamation marks.

>> 2KG of SALT! Close to it >>> >> > anyway.

>> make a > >> low >>> >> sodium soup.

>> like >>> > sugar!

>> not > many >>> of

>> > You a nurse too? I know about HTN and dietary salt.
>> >
>> > John Kuthe...

>> You know outdated information.
>>
>> http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...02/08/salt-int
>> ake-heart-failure.aspx
>>
>> http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...-bone-health.h
>> tml
>>
>> http://www.foodandnutrition.org/Marc...Sodium-Debate/
>>
>> Two of my Drs. even told me to increase my salt intake because I tend
>> to run towards low sodium in my blood.

> Curious but do you know your general sodium and potassium intakes?

Yep. I use this. Consistently low in vitamin E so I take more of that.

https://cronometer.com/

I see my Endo. tomorrow and he is not a quack. He checks my blood levels of
everything and that will be especially important now that I have no thyroid.