Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What kind of a trashy cook would use this "recipe"??

"cshenk" > wrote in message

>> I just ordered some Spam Snacks in a pouch. Somebody will be getting
>> them in his Easter basket!

> Snicker, works for me!

There will be a Snickers bar too. And a Reeses bunny.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/13/2016 11:34 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Nope. Knives are very new. Same thing happened last year. Someone
>>> here pointed out that at this time of year, the onions are old. I
>>> believe that. Hard to find good ones.

>> That makes sense. For me, down here they get softer in the stores at
>> this season but the variety and storage where you are could go the
>> other way easily enough.
>>

> Yes, I remember the tough onion discussion. Of course it makes sense the
> onions might have been old.
>
> I'll admit I don't know a thing about when onions grown in Washington are
> fresh. I've only heard of Walla Walla's). It could well be she has been
> buying onions, which store very well, from last season.
>
> Again, I don't know about the growing season for fresh Washington onions.
> I do know it's still not warm enough here in southern South Carolina for
> really fresh onions to be showing up. It's too early. The growing season
> in this part of the US is a lot longer than where you live.
>
> Jill

Not quite time for Walla Wallas. I do remember harvesting them early one
year and using them for Easter dinner. We had a single weird, hot day and
this caused them to bolt. So I had to use them right away. The flowers are
very pretty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 2:06:50 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> What?

> > He's just making noise. Julie, you are right that many here are not
> > salt sensitive. My husband is but not wildly so. If he stays within
> > USDA recommendations or a little under, he's ok. I generally aim him
> > at 1500mg a day which gives him a little wriggle room if he wants the
> > occasional splurge.
> >
> > You probably are remembering that I've posted how Don and I were part
> > of a real study in Japan. It took weeks and there were follow-ups for
> > years. Don tests salt reactive but with a fine tuning, he doesnt need
> > a true low sodium diet because get him to a reasonable level, he stops
> > the blood pressure rise. Lower extreme diets make no difference.
> >
> > In my case, no salt amount they threw at me made any difference in my
> > blood pressure. I am however stress and pain reactive (so is everyone)..
> >
> > The study for the rest was over why so many USA people stationed in
> > Japan developed low level hypertension (BP issues). Results were
> > pretty clear. The local diet is higher in sodium than the average
> > American eats. The bit of suprise is how many of us were not reacting
> > to the salt at all and no reduction (or addition) made any difference.
> >
> > So I wouldnt say no one is salt reactive, but that many of us aren't.
> > I am not. Don is.

> I'm not either. A military Dr. put me on the DASH diet. He was convinced
> that it would help me. Didn't do a thing for me and I suffered through that
> boring food. He had me checking my BP frequently. No change. But I have a
> friend who can eat a single piece of bacon and blow up like a puffer fish..
> She is.

Had one of my nursing instructors demonstrate how salt intolerance can have pretty immediate and profound effects. As I recall she had had breast cancer surgery removing a substantial number of lymph nodes on one side, and she came into lecture after having eaten a saltine cracker, and one side of her was quite edematous (swollen).

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 12:32:27 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > Please present some statistics on how many hypertensives are
> > > sensitive to salt.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > I just posted a link to where some of it started. See, the USA
> > doesnt really 'study' this, they just know a segment are salt
> > related.

> I really hoped Kuthe would do his own homework. Ah, well, ever the
> optimist.
>
> > The actual testing Don and I had done validate that many will have
> > hypertension (HTN which John tried to be cute about not
> > translating). It also showed clearly that it is not 'universal'
> > which John probably does not know.

> I eat a metric boatload of salt, and my BP is fine. I probably add
> more salt to my morning oatmeal than some of the salt nannies eat
> in an entire day.
>
> > It's in the excerpt that it's safe to reduce salt for all of us and
> > that it was too expensive to conduct detailed studies.

> Well, sure. It wouldn't hurt me to reduce my salt intake, but it
> probably wouldn't do any good, either.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Exactly Cindy. Unless you have a condition that salt may be related to,
a normal salt diet is fine. If you do have a condition such as
hypertension (BP issues) then it doesnt harm to try a reduced salt to
see if it lessons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Kuthe >>> >> >> wrote: >>> >> >> > On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at
> 6:45:23 PM >>UTC-6, Julie Bove > >> >> > wrote: >>> >> >> > > "Gary"
> > wrote in message >>> >> >> > >

> >>http://www.ro-tel.com/recipes-King-R...cken-3541.html >>> >> >>

> >>minutes to >>> >> >> > > >> prep

> Being >>> >> >> > > >> generous >>> >> >> > > >> to

> >>not? >>> >> >> > > > Not all good meals come from scratch.

> concentrated >>> >> >> > "cream >>> >> >> > of"

> >>the >>> >> >> exclamation marks.

> >>2KG of SALT! Close to it >>> >> > anyway.

> >>make a > >> low >>> >> sodium soup.

> >>like >>> > sugar!

> >>not > many >>> of

> and >>> > a host of other maladies.

> very >>> > few people are sensitive in terms of high BP.

> > > You know outdated information.
> > >
> > > http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...016/02/08/salt
> > > -int ake-heart-failure.aspx
> > >
> > > http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-0...pact-bone-heal
> > > th.h tml
> > >
> > > http://www.foodandnutrition.org/Marc...ig-Sodium-Deba
> > > te/
> > >
> > > Two of my Drs. even told me to increase my salt intake because I
> > > tend to run towards low sodium in my blood.

> > Curious but do you know your general sodium and potassium intakes?

> Yep. I use this. Consistently low in vitamin E so I take more of
> that.
>
> https://cronometer.com/
>
> I see my Endo. tomorrow and he is not a quack. He checks my blood
> levels of everything and that will be especially important now that I
> have no thyroid.

Works for me! I do not want to sign up (spam to me) but seems you enter
what you ate and get a report back. Reasonable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 2:35:41 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I just posted a link to where some of it started. See, the USA
> > > doesnt really 'study' this, they just know a segment are salt
> > > related.

> > I really hoped Kuthe would do his own homework. Ah, well, ever the
> > optimist.
> >
> > > The actual testing Don and I had done validate that many will have
> > > hypertension (HTN which John tried to be cute about not
> > > translating). It also showed clearly that it is not 'universal'
> > > which John probably does not know.

> > I eat a metric boatload of salt, and my BP is fine. I probably add
> > more salt to my morning oatmeal than some of the salt nannies eat
> > in an entire day.
> >
> > > It's in the excerpt that it's safe to reduce salt for all of us and
> > > that it was too expensive to conduct detailed studies.

> > Well, sure. It wouldn't hurt me to reduce my salt intake, but it
> > probably wouldn't do any good, either.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Exactly Cindy. Unless you have a condition that salt may be related to,
> a normal salt diet is fine. If you do have a condition such as
> hypertension (BP issues) then it doesnt harm to try a reduced salt to
> see if it lessons.
>
> --

Unless you switch to and eat a lot of "salt substitutes", namely the ones substituting Potassium Chloride for Sodium Chloride, which my father who had HTN did years ago, them when his MD ran a blood test and found his potassium levels very high, MD told my father not to do that!

Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can do? I do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 2:35:41 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I really hoped Kuthe would do his own homework. Ah, well, ever
> > > the optimist.

> > > I eat a metric boatload of salt, and my BP is fine. I probably
> > > add more salt to my morning oatmeal than some of the salt nannies
> > > eat in an entire day.

> > > Well, sure. It wouldn't hurt me to reduce my salt intake, but it
> > > probably wouldn't do any good, either.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Exactly Cindy. Unless you have a condition that salt may be related
> > to, a normal salt diet is fine. If you do have a condition such as
> > hypertension (BP issues) then it doesnt harm to try a reduced salt
> > to see if it lessons.
> >
> > --

> Unless you switch to and eat a lot of "salt substitutes", namely the
> ones substituting Potassium Chloride for Sodium Chloride, which my
> father who had HTN did years ago, them when his MD ran a blood test
> and found his potassium levels very high, MD told my father not to do
> that!
>
> Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can
> do? I do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!
>
> John Kuthe...

John, you may tell us you are an RN but guess what, you know less on
healthy diet than Julie does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>
> > > I just ordered some Spam Snacks in a pouch. Somebody will be
> > > getting them in his Easter basket!

> > Snicker, works for me!

> There will be a Snickers bar too. And a Reeses bunny.

LOL! But i dont like either of those!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:42:09 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Exactly Cindy. Unless you have a condition that salt may be related
>> > to, a normal salt diet is fine. If you do have a condition such as
>> > hypertension (BP issues) then it doesnt harm to try a reduced salt
>> > to see if it lessons.
>> >
>> > --

>> Unless you switch to and eat a lot of "salt substitutes", namely the
>> ones substituting Potassium Chloride for Sodium Chloride, which my
>> father who had HTN did years ago, them when his MD ran a blood test
>> and found his potassium levels very high, MD told my father not to do
>> that!
>>
>> Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can
>> do? I do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>John, you may tell us you are an RN but guess what, you know less on
>healthy diet than Julie does.

Please quit your medical advice. I neither agree with you or John,
but I find your disparagement of his professional knowledge offensive.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 11:16:32 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 3/13/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> >> We are ALL salt sensitive, DUH!! One of the three main electolytes in
> >> our bodies and bloodstream! Normally an excess of dietary salt causes
> >> one to be very thirsty for water, which is how our bodies flush out
> >> the excess salt/sodium. Of course an excess of salt also plays a
> >> large role in high blood pressure and a host of other maladies.
> >>
> >> John Kuthe...
> >>
> >> ---
> >>
> >> Nonsense. My friend is salt sensitive. I am not. In fact, very few
> >> people are sensitive in terms of high BP.

> > It's become a rote diagnosis these days. USA teachings for medical
> > people are all about salt being evil.

> I don't know about USA medical people being taught salt is evil. I like
> salt. I don't salt food before tasting it but I've always liked salt.
> I do know I never had a doctor tell me to lower my salt intake.
> Conversely, I never had one tell me to increase it.
>
> There's always some fearmonger out there with some "study" yelling about
> salt = high blood pressure. What about cholesterol? Remember when eggs
> were bad for you? Oh wait, no they're not. Flip flop "science".
>
> I don't pay much attention to these reports. I eat whatever I like,
> whenever I like, always in moderation.
>
> Oh, and Kuthe seems to think drinking water is a bad thing. I drink
> water every day, even if I haven't eaten anything salty.

Kuthe is an insecure narcissist who wants to be respected, and all he has
are his "degrees" and his chocolate covered cherries.

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

Oh, OK. Because like Bryan and so many others, since you have Internet
access and Google, you are now suddently a medical professional!! Very good!
You will no longer be requiring ANY medical care then! Why do you listen to
TWO of your doctors!! Just go to MedicalDiagnosis.wrong!!

John Kuthe...

=======

Certainly not from a medical kook that posts to this group.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 5:00:30 PM UTC-6, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 11:16:32 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> > > It's become a rote diagnosis these days. USA teachings for medical
> > > people are all about salt being evil.

> > I don't know about USA medical people being taught salt is evil. I like
> > salt. I don't salt food before tasting it but I've always liked salt.
> > I do know I never had a doctor tell me to lower my salt intake.
> > Conversely, I never had one tell me to increase it.
> >
> > There's always some fearmonger out there with some "study" yelling about
> > salt = high blood pressure. What about cholesterol? Remember when eggs
> > were bad for you? Oh wait, no they're not. Flip flop "science".
> >
> > I don't pay much attention to these reports. I eat whatever I like,
> > whenever I like, always in moderation.
> >
> > Oh, and Kuthe seems to think drinking water is a bad thing. I drink
> > water every day, even if I haven't eaten anything salty.
> >

> Kuthe is an insecure narcissist who wants to be respected, and all he has
> are his "degrees" and his chocolate covered cherries.
> >
> > Jill

> --Bryan

No Bryan, I'm not narcissistic, I'm well controlled Bipolar Disorder. You and Frumpf are raging uncontrolled Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I'm sorry you have no college degrees, but with your inability to stick with something it does not surprise me either. Same reason you have none of the Chocolate Covered Cherries which I sent you my recipe and you have continued to FAIL to produce!! (and any moment Bryan will come back visciously and speciously rebutting my true comments with somethinhg about his infantile afccess to female body parts!) Yes I have college degrees AND my Chocolate Covered Cherries! :-)

> > On 3/13/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Oh, and Kuthe seems to think drinking water is a bad thing. I drink
> > water every day, even if I haven't eaten anything salty.

Can't find your original post "cshenk", but yes water has an LD50 of about 6 gallons, irrespectove of your salt intake. Did you know that? So drinking a lot of water too fast can certainly lead to a specific problem caled "water toxicity" and I know precisely how it can kill because I have a BSN in nursing. Do you?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 08:33:53 -0700, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 00:19:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

> >> I do not think there is anyone here who takes 5 minutes to open a can
> >> and it's the only way to explain that the prep in that recipe takes 20
> >> minutes.

> >You have to assemble the ingredients to prep, melt the butter, tear
> >the tortillas up, chop the peppers, chop the onion, chop the chicken
> >(which I'd shred) and shred the cheese. It takes time. Usually they
> >under estimate it, but I think it's fairly accurate if you follow what
> >the recipe suggests.

> agreed. Prep times on recipes really mean nothing more than a
> guesstimate of your time commitment. I don't prepare dinner like I'm
> a contestant on a game show.
> Janet US

Thanks! Apparently I'm not alone. I joke to my family that if
there's a way to make a quick meal slow, count on me to find it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:11:47 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> One of these days, I'd like to have a dinner party with 60's
> American foods. My son can make the green bean casserole.

Somehow, I don't think green bean casserole and King Ranch Casserole
belong at the same meal.

Have you heard about that pretzel-jello salad? I thought I wouldn't
like it, but I did - so if you're going to have a "retro" meal, be
sure to include that one too. Oh, the one called Eisenhower or
Watergate Salad is good too.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

>> https://cronometer.com/
>>
>> I see my Endo. tomorrow and he is not a quack. He checks my blood
>> levels of everything and that will be especially important now that I
>> have no thyroid.

> Works for me! I do not want to sign up (spam to me) but seems you enter
> what you ate and get a report back. Reasonable.

That's not how it works. I only use the food breakdown part. You just
input all food and drink and it tells you how many calories you consumed and
the breakdown thereof. It's all done online. I've had an account for many
years. There was likely an initial email about my account but never any
spam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 2:35:41 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I just posted a link to where some of it started. See, the USA
> > > doesnt really 'study' this, they just know a segment are salt
> > > related.

> > I really hoped Kuthe would do his own homework. Ah, well, ever the
> > optimist.
> >
> > > The actual testing Don and I had done validate that many will have
> > > hypertension (HTN which John tried to be cute about not
> > > translating). It also showed clearly that it is not 'universal'
> > > which John probably does not know.

> > I eat a metric boatload of salt, and my BP is fine. I probably add
> > more salt to my morning oatmeal than some of the salt nannies eat
> > in an entire day.
> >
> > > It's in the excerpt that it's safe to reduce salt for all of us and
> > > that it was too expensive to conduct detailed studies.

> > Well, sure. It wouldn't hurt me to reduce my salt intake, but it
> > probably wouldn't do any good, either.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Exactly Cindy. Unless you have a condition that salt may be related to,
> a normal salt diet is fine. If you do have a condition such as
> hypertension (BP issues) then it doesnt harm to try a reduced salt to
> see if it lessons.
>
> --

Unless you switch to and eat a lot of "salt substitutes", namely the ones
substituting Potassium Chloride for Sodium Chloride, which my father who had
HTN did years ago, them when his MD ran a blood test and found his potassium
levels very high, MD told my father not to do that!

Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can do? I
do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!

John Kuthe...

---

I know what low levels can do. Oh the pain! I don't eat salt substitutes.
My mom feared salt and used to use Mrs. Dash instead. That's no longer,
thankfully. I'm sure Mrs. Dash is fine. It's just what she made with it
was horrid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> John Kuthe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Exactly Cindy. Unless you have a condition that salt may be related
>> > to, a normal salt diet is fine. If you do have a condition such as
>> > hypertension (BP issues) then it doesnt harm to try a reduced salt
>> > to see if it lessons.
>> >
>> > --

>> Unless you switch to and eat a lot of "salt substitutes", namely the
>> ones substituting Potassium Chloride for Sodium Chloride, which my
>> father who had HTN did years ago, them when his MD ran a blood test
>> and found his potassium levels very high, MD told my father not to do
>> that!
>>
>> Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can
>> do? I do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> John, you may tell us you are an RN but guess what, you know less on
> healthy diet than Julie does.

I have spent countless hours studying diet, starting with back when I became
a vegetarian. I wanted to make sure that I was eating a balanced diet. And
due to my various medical problems, I tend towards vitamin and mineral
deficiencies which I always try to address first with diet, then supplements
because that isn't enough. I've been having stiff knees so am eating more
celery. Why? The sodium.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message

> Please quit your medical advice. I neither agree with you or John,
> but I find your disparagement of his professional knowledge offensive.
> Janet US

I for one don't care what you think and he is not only flat out wrong on
this but also saying offensive things about females suffering from a medical
condition in another thread.

Some of the worst medical advise has been given to me by a nurse. And some
of the best. For instance, when I was diagnosed with possible gestational
diabetes, a nurse told me that diabetics need to eat a lot of soup, and
fruit. She even suggested that I pack a picnic lunch of cream cheese and
cucumber sandwiches to take to the beach because cream cheese was high in
protein and needed no refrigeration. I told her the last time I checked, it
was high in fat and did need refrigeration.

A piece of good advice was when I had cracks at the corners of my mouth and
my finger was turning green under a good quality ring. She told my mom to
give me some B complex vitamins. She did and the problems went away.

The fact that a person is a nurse only means that they went to school for
it. Doesn't mean they are good at it. Please note that I am not saying
that John is not good at it. Only that he is wrong on the salt thing.

There's a cardiologist who thinks he rules the Internet. I don't even want
to say his name. Some refer to him as the alphabet Dr. He's as crazy as
they come and he gives out dangerous dietary advice. Just because someone
is a medical professional, doesn't mean they are always right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 5:00:30 PM UTC-6, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 11:16:32 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> > > It's become a rote diagnosis these days. USA teachings for medical
> > > people are all about salt being evil.

> > I don't know about USA medical people being taught salt is evil. I like
> > salt. I don't salt food before tasting it but I've always liked salt.
> > I do know I never had a doctor tell me to lower my salt intake.
> > Conversely, I never had one tell me to increase it.
> >
> > There's always some fearmonger out there with some "study" yelling about
> > salt = high blood pressure. What about cholesterol? Remember when eggs
> > were bad for you? Oh wait, no they're not. Flip flop "science".
> >
> > I don't pay much attention to these reports. I eat whatever I like,
> > whenever I like, always in moderation.
> >
> > Oh, and Kuthe seems to think drinking water is a bad thing. I drink
> > water every day, even if I haven't eaten anything salty.
> >

> Kuthe is an insecure narcissist who wants to be respected, and all he has
> are his "degrees" and his chocolate covered cherries.
> >
> > Jill

> --Bryan

No Bryan, I'm not narcissistic, I'm well controlled Bipolar Disorder. You
and Frumpf are raging uncontrolled Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I'm
sorry you have no college degrees, but with your inability to stick with
something it does not surprise me either. Same reason you have none of the
Chocolate Covered Cherries which I sent you my recipe and you have continued
to FAIL to produce!! (and any moment Bryan will come back visciously and
speciously rebutting my true comments with somethinhg about his infantile
afccess to female body parts!) Yes I have college degrees AND my Chocolate
Covered Cherries! :-)

> > On 3/13/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Oh, and Kuthe seems to think drinking water is a bad thing. I drink
> > water every day, even if I haven't eaten anything salty.

Can't find your original post "cshenk", but yes water has an LD50 of about 6
gallons, irrespectove of your salt intake. Did you know that? So drinking a
lot of water too fast can certainly lead to a specific problem caled "water
toxicity" and I know precisely how it can kill because I have a BSN in
nursing. Do you?

John Kuthe...

---

I think we all remember the poor mom who died in a water drinking contest,
trying to win a Wii for her kids. How she did not know of this and how the
radio station that ran the contest did not know is beyond me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> > Snicker, works for me!

>> There will be a Snickers bar too. And a Reeses bunny.

> LOL! But i dont like either of those!

That's okay. He does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 13:41:39 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 2:35:41 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Exactly Cindy. Unless you have a condition that salt may be related to,
>> a normal salt diet is fine. If you do have a condition such as
>> hypertension (BP issues) then it doesnt harm to try a reduced salt to
>> see if it lessons.
>>
>> --

>Unless you switch to and eat a lot of "salt substitutes", namely the ones substituting Potassium Chloride for Sodium Chloride, which my father who had HTN did years ago, them when his MD ran a blood test and found his potassium levels very high, MD told my father not to do that!
>
>Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can do? I do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!

You're a registered nurse?

--
Bruce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
\> I'm not either. A military Dr. put me on the DASH diet. He was
convinced
> that it would help me. Didn't do a thing for me and I suffered through
> that
> boring food. He had me checking my BP frequently. No change. But I have
> friend who can eat a single piece of bacon and blow up like a puffer fish.
> She is.

Had one of my nursing instructors demonstrate how salt intolerance can have
pretty immediate and profound effects. As I recall she had had breast cancer
surgery removing a substantial number of lymph nodes on one side, and she
came into lecture after having eaten a saltine cracker, and one side of her
was quite edematous (swollen).

John Kuthe...

---

That only demonstrates what it does to her. I could demonstrate to you what
happens to me if I eat a bite of egg. You wouldn't like it and I certainly
wouldn't either. Doesn't mean that you or anyone else shouldn't eat eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Janet B" > wrote in message
>
>> Please quit your medical advice. I neither agree with you or John,
>> but I find your disparagement of his professional knowledge offensive.
>> Janet US

> I for one don't care what you think and he is not only flat out wrong on
> this but also saying offensive things about females suffering from a
> medical condition in another thread.
>
> Some of the worst medical advise has been given to me by a nurse. And
> some of the best. For instance, when I was diagnosed with possible
> gestational diabetes, a nurse told me that diabetics need to eat a lot of
> soup, and fruit. She even suggested that I pack a picnic lunch of cream
> cheese and cucumber sandwiches to take to the beach because cream cheese
> was high in protein and needed no refrigeration. I told her the last time
> I checked, it was high in fat and did need refrigeration..

When Himself was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes we were sent to the
dietician. I was horrified. All high carb low fat nonsense.

I feed him my own cooked food and he never has any problems with his blood
sugar,

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 01:25:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Please quit your medical advice. I neither agree with you or John,
>> but I find your disparagement of his professional knowledge offensive.
>> Janet US

>I for one don't care what you think and he is not only flat out wrong on
>this but also saying offensive things about females suffering from a medical
>condition in another thread.

I was not addressing you.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 01:17:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

>Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can do? I
>do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!
>
>John Kuthe...
>

>---
>
>I know what low levels can do. Oh the pain!

snip
then you already know that you should cut back on your consumption of
cola.
"A handful of published reports describe individuals with severe
hypokalemia related to chronic extreme consumption (4–10 l/day) of
colas.[9] The hypokalemia is thought to be from the combination of the
diuretic effect of caffeine[10] and copious fluid intake, although it
may also be related to diarrhea caused by heavy fructose
ingestion.[11][12] A physiological response to hypercapnia, blood
potassium (as well as calcium) helps offset acidosis, which is
consistent with chronic, extreme consumption of carbonated beverages."
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 19:26:15 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:11:47 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> One of these days, I'd like to have a dinner party with 60's
>> American foods. My son can make the green bean casserole.

>Somehow, I don't think green bean casserole and King Ranch Casserole
>belong at the same meal.
>
>Have you heard about that pretzel-jello salad? I thought I wouldn't
>like it, but I did - so if you're going to have a "retro" meal, be
>sure to include that one too. Oh, the one called Eisenhower or
>Watergate Salad is good too.

sometimes I just want to make something to see what all the fuss is
about. At times like that you make it as close to the original as
possible.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 2:27:39 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 5:00:30 PM UTC-6, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:

> > > I don't know about USA medical people being taught salt is evil. I like
> > > salt. I don't salt food before tasting it but I've always liked salt.
> > > I do know I never had a doctor tell me to lower my salt intake.
> > > Conversely, I never had one tell me to increase it.
> > >
> > > There's always some fearmonger out there with some "study" yelling about
> > > salt = high blood pressure. What about cholesterol? Remember when eggs
> > > were bad for you? Oh wait, no they're not. Flip flop "science".
> > >
> > > I don't pay much attention to these reports. I eat whatever I like,
> > > whenever I like, always in moderation.
> > >
> > > Oh, and Kuthe seems to think drinking water is a bad thing. I drink
> > > water every day, even if I haven't eaten anything salty.
> > >

> > Kuthe is an insecure narcissist who wants to be respected, and all he has
> > are his "degrees" and his chocolate covered cherries.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > --Bryan

> No Bryan, I'm not narcissistic, I'm well controlled Bipolar Disorder. You
> and Frumpf are raging uncontrolled Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I'm
> sorry you have no college degrees, but with your inability to stick with
> something it does not surprise me either. Same reason you have none of the
> Chocolate Covered Cherries which I sent you my recipe and you have continued
> to FAIL to produce!! (and any moment Bryan will come back visciously and
> speciously rebutting my true comments with somethinhg about his infantile
> afccess to female body parts!) Yes I have college degrees AND my Chocolate
> Covered Cherries! :-)
>

> > > On 3/13/2016 11:55 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > > Oh, and Kuthe seems to think drinking water is a bad thing. I drink
> > > water every day, even if I haven't eaten anything salty.

> Can't find your original post "cshenk", but yes water has an LD50 of about 6
> gallons, irrespectove of your salt intake. Did you know that? So drinking a
> lot of water too fast can certainly lead to a specific problem caled "water
> toxicity" and I know precisely how it can kill because I have a BSN in
> nursing. Do you?
>
> John Kuthe...
>
> ---
>
> I think we all remember the poor mom who died in a water drinking contest,
> trying to win a Wii for her kids. How she did not know of this and how the
> radio station that ran the contest did not know is beyond me.

Pure ignorance. Very common, we are all born with it! Education is the only cure for ignorance.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 13:41:39 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>>Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can do? I
>>do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!

> You're a registered nurse?
>
> --
> Bruce

Scary thought huh?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 01:17:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

>>Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can do? I
>>do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!
>>
>>John Kuthe...
>>

>>---
>>
>>I know what low levels can do. Oh the pain!

> snip
> then you already know that you should cut back on your consumption of
> cola.
> "A handful of published reports describe individuals with severe
> hypokalemia related to chronic extreme consumption (4-10 l/day) of
> colas.[9] The hypokalemia is thought to be from the combination of the
> diuretic effect of caffeine[10] and copious fluid intake, although it
> may also be related to diarrhea caused by heavy fructose
> ingestion.[11][12] A physiological response to hypercapnia, blood
> potassium (as well as calcium) helps offset acidosis, which is
> consistent with chronic, extreme consumption of carbonated beverages."
> Janet US

Good thing I don't drink the stuff, huh!? I drink diet Coke. And you do
know that hyper means too much. Right? I had too little. And it wasn't
related to diet Coke. It was related to a medical condition. I also do not
have acidosis. In fact I tend to run very alkaline and yes, I have been
tested.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 01:25:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Please quit your medical advice. I neither agree with you or John,
>>> but I find your disparagement of his professional knowledge offensive.
>>> Janet US

>>I for one don't care what you think and he is not only flat out wrong on
>>this but also saying offensive things about females suffering from a
>>medical
>>condition in another thread.

> I was not addressing you.
> Janet US

I didn't say that you were. But here's how the Internet works. Anyone can
respond to anyone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:28:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 01:25:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I for one don't care what you think and he is not only flat out wrong on
>>>this but also saying offensive things about females suffering from a
>>>medical
>>>condition in another thread.

>> I was not addressing you.
>> Janet US

>I didn't say that you were. But here's how the Internet works. Anyone can
>respond to anyone.

Ahhhh. . .you were sticking your oar in just to participate. That
explains a lot.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:27:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet B" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 01:17:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

>>>Know what high potassium ion (electrolyte) levels in your blood can do? I
>>>do, because I'm an RN and I know stuff like this!!
>>>
>>>John Kuthe...
>>>

>>>---
>>>
>>>I know what low levels can do. Oh the pain!

>> snip
>> then you already know that you should cut back on your consumption of
>> cola.
>> "A handful of published reports describe individuals with severe
>> hypokalemia related to chronic extreme consumption (4-10 l/day) of
>> colas.[9] The hypokalemia is thought to be from the combination of the
>> diuretic effect of caffeine[10] and copious fluid intake, although it
>> may also be related to diarrhea caused by heavy fructose
>> ingestion.[11][12] A physiological response to hypercapnia, blood
>> potassium (as well as calcium) helps offset acidosis, which is
>> consistent with chronic, extreme consumption of carbonated beverages."
>> Janet US

>Good thing I don't drink the stuff, huh!? I drink diet Coke. And you do
>know that hyper means too much. Right? I had too little. And it wasn't
>related to diet Coke. It was related to a medical condition. I also do not
>have acidosis. In fact I tend to run very alkaline and yes, I have been
>tested.

you do know that cola is a generic reference to Coke, Pepsi? It
doesn't matter if it is diet or not, cola is cola. And that
hypokalemia means low?
"Hypokalemia or hypokalaemia, also hypopotassemia or hypopotassaemia,
refers to the condition in which the concentration of potassium in the
blood is low. The Greek prefix hypo- means "under"; kal- refers to
kalium, the Neo-Latin for potassium, and -emia means "condition of the
blood" in Greek"
so you have a medical condition in which your potassium level is low
but you will continue an extreme consumption of cola that wastes
bodily potassium.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:53:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> When Himself was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes we were sent to the
> dietician. I was horrified. All high carb low fat nonsense.

High carbs? Do you mean they recommended carbs, like beans or what?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 7:30:05 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 08:26:39 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:

> > >Somehow, I don't think green bean casserole and King Ranch Casserole
> > >belong at the same meal.
> > >
> > >Have you heard about that pretzel-jello salad? I thought I wouldn't
> > >like it, but I did - so if you're going to have a "retro" meal, be
> > >sure to include that one too. Oh, the one called Eisenhower or
> > >Watergate Salad is good too.

> > sometimes I just want to make something to see what all the fuss is
> > about. At times like that you make it as close to the original as
> > possible.
> > Janet US

> Are you talking about the King Ranch? I made it with canned soup the
> first time and liked it. After that, I wanted to control the
> ingredients. As far as mixing the Ro-Tel in the base... that's a new
> twist because I remember distinctly that it was the last layer on the
> casserole. It went on top of the cheese. The only reason why I
> remember that is because it's so odd, but the cheese bubbled up and
> the Rotel all but disappeared under it. There is a can of diced
> chilies mixed into the filling. I looked at the official web site and
> you're right, the tell you to mix the Rotel into the filling with the
> diced chilies now - but I looked at blog pictures and it didn't look
> pink to me.
>
> Here's why I want to control what I put into my sauce, it's not bad -
> I just want better. I don't want or need soy protein concentrate or
> lecithin. Don't need yeast extract or modified food starch either.
>
> Cream of Mushroom Soup:
> WATER, MUSHROOMS, VEGETABLE OIL (CORN, COTTONSEED, CANOLA, AND/OR
> SOYBEAN), MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEAT FLOUR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF:
> SALT, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, DEHYDRATED CREAM
> (CREAM [MILK], SOY LECITHIN), YEAST EXTRACT, FLAVORING, DEHYDRATED
> GARLIC.
>
> Cream of Chicken Soup:
> INGREDIENTS: CHICKEN STOCK, VEGETABLE OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEAT
> FLOUR, CREAM (MILK), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, DEHYDRATED
> MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MONOSODIUM
> GLUTAMATE, CHICKEN FAT, YEAST EXTRACT, FLAVORING, BETA CAROTENE FOR
> COLOR, CHICKEN FLAVOR, CELERY EXTRACT, BUTTER ( ...
>
> --
>
> sf

OMG there's actual BUTTER in Campbell's Cream Of Chicken soup?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 18:30:06 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 08:26:39 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:

>> >Somehow, I don't think green bean casserole and King Ranch Casserole
>> >belong at the same meal.
>> >
>> >Have you heard about that pretzel-jello salad? I thought I wouldn't
>> >like it, but I did - so if you're going to have a "retro" meal, be
>> >sure to include that one too. Oh, the one called Eisenhower or
>> >Watergate Salad is good too.

>> sometimes I just want to make something to see what all the fuss is
>> about. At times like that you make it as close to the original as
>> possible.
>> Janet US

>Are you talking about the King Ranch?

snip
yes, I heard about it a couple of years ago and heard people say how
good it was. So I tried it. It isn't my cup of tea.
I wanted to try the real thing. If I had changed out a lot of
ingredients I wouldn't know anything about King Ranch Chicken
Casserole.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:28:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 01:25:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> I was not addressing you.
>>> Janet US

>>I didn't say that you were. But here's how the Internet works. Anyone
>>can
>>respond to anyone.

> Ahhhh. . .you were sticking your oar in just to participate. That
> explains a lot.
> Janet US

That seems to be what everyone here does. Why should I be any different?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:27:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet B" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 01:17:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> snip
>>> then you already know that you should cut back on your consumption of
>>> cola.
>>> "A handful of published reports describe individuals with severe
>>> hypokalemia related to chronic extreme consumption (4-10 l/day) of
>>> colas.[9] The hypokalemia is thought to be from the combination of the
>>> diuretic effect of caffeine[10] and copious fluid intake, although it
>>> may also be related to diarrhea caused by heavy fructose
>>> ingestion.[11][12] A physiological response to hypercapnia, blood
>>> potassium (as well as calcium) helps offset acidosis, which is
>>> consistent with chronic, extreme consumption of carbonated beverages."
>>> Janet US

>>Good thing I don't drink the stuff, huh!? I drink diet Coke. And you do
>>know that hyper means too much. Right? I had too little. And it wasn't
>>related to diet Coke. It was related to a medical condition. I also do
>>not
>>have acidosis. In fact I tend to run very alkaline and yes, I have been
>>tested.

> you do know that cola is a generic reference to Coke, Pepsi? It
> doesn't matter if it is diet or not, cola is cola. And that
> hypokalemia means low?
> "Hypokalemia or hypokalaemia, also hypopotassemia or hypopotassaemia,
> refers to the condition in which the concentration of potassium in the
> blood is low. The Greek prefix hypo- means "under"; kal- refers to
> kalium, the Neo-Latin for potassium, and -emia means "condition of the
> blood" in Greek"
> so you have a medical condition in which your potassium level is low
> but you will continue an extreme consumption of cola that wastes
> bodily potassium.
> Janet US

No. I do not currently have a medical condition in which my potassium is
low. I also don't have an extreme consumption of cola.

I had low potassium upon diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. I am pretty sure
that you do not want to know the symptoms I was having upon diagnosis. They
were pretty graphic. And they were likely what led to the low potassium.
Had nothing to do with cola.

I was just at the Endo. earlier. And no, he is not a quack. He said that
my current problems relate to being on too low a dose of thyroid med.
Although on range on paper, I am having symptoms. And I am very close to
the upper range of TSH which indicates hypo.

I don't need medical advice from you. I see enough Drs. And my dad took
Latin. I heard enough of that at home. I only skimmed your link and it
mentioned high fructose corn syrup which isn't in diet soda, cola or
otherwise. Let me quote as you seem not to understand what you posted. And
I will remind you again. There is no fructose in diet soda. There is
fructose in fruit and other foods but when eaten as it comes naturally it is
combined with other natural sugars and it isn't a problem unless one has
fructose intolerance which I do not have. Extract that fructose and use it
as a sweetener and you could have problems. Diabetics in particular should
not have HFCS. It is linked to heart problems for them.

"Too much fructose causes hypokalemia due to potassium lost through diarrhea
and gastrointestinal potassium wasting."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:53:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>>
>> When Himself was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes we were sent to the
>> dietician. I was horrified. All high carb low fat nonsense.

> High carbs? Do you mean they recommended carbs, like beans or what?

We don't remember beans being mentioned but it was quite a while ago.

We just remember the pictures of foods showing the ones best for him for
each meal of the day.

He enjoys his food, his blood sugar stays low and that is what matters to us
and his diabetes nurse!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Janet B" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:28:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

om...

>>>I didn't say that you were. But here's how the Internet works. Anyone
>>>can
>>>respond to anyone.

>> Ahhhh. . .you were sticking your oar in just to participate. That
>> explains a lot.
>> Janet US

> That seems to be what everyone here does. Why should I be any different?

Indeed and that is how it works. But not you. You have to do as you are
told by the elite.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:53:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>>
>> When Himself was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes we were sent to the
>> dietician. I was horrified. All high carb low fat nonsense.

> High carbs? Do you mean they recommended carbs, like beans or what?

Most likely carbs in general. When I was first diagnosed, the dietician was
a big bread pusher. Bread wasn't even something I ate on a regular basis at
that point. I rarely bought it and only baked it if I was going to make a
big pot of soup. In fact the original eating plan I was given which was The
Exchange Plan used the term "bread exchange" for not only bread but cereal,
rice, pasta and other starchy foods all of which are carbs. Beans did not
fall into this category as they also contain protein.

My eating plan was not high in carbs overall, IMO because I was used to
eating things like beans and rice or bean burritos. I could still eat those
things but had to learn ways to pad them out with non starchy veggies or eat
much smaller portions. But it also wasn't a low carb plan and while it was
a low fat plan, they wanted me to do stupid things with fats. For instance,
add margarine to my vegetables (yuck) and eat non-fat cheese. I pointed out
to the dietician that the non-fat cheese had more carbs in it. She seemed
not to know this.

Thankfully, things have changed since then. I also think we are seeing a
lot less of those stupid low/no fat foods than we did 18 years ago. The
last two dieticians I saw did not give me any dietary advice because they
said I had a good understanding of things. They did however give me recipes
for things I said I wouldn't make.

But one weird thing that always seems to crop up is the swapping of foods.
And maybe I stand alone here. They will point out something like that on my
birthday, I can have a slice of cake! Like I would want that. I just have
to forgo the other carbs in my meal. Well, thank you, no! I am not a
sweets lover to begin with. And I just can't see ever giving up the corn or
beans or potatoes or wild rice or pasta or whatever else I was going to eat
at a meal and have some sweet thing instead. It's not good nutrition for
one thing and not filling for another.

They even make certain diabetes medicines that are supposed to allow you to
eat more carbs. But they only work with certain types of carbs. I was put
on one in addition to my other two diabetes meds when that Dr. didn't know
what to do with me. That med was Starlix and it didn't do a danged thing
for me. He had me taking it with each meal. Another is Precose. From what
I have heard, people who use that one sometimes use it only when they want
to eat more carbs. I am not sure how commonly it is prescribed now. But I
think it is not as common as it was when they first came out with it.