Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Cornbread etc

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
> > i just downloaded a book called:
> >
> > The Cornbread Bible
> > A recipe Storybook
> >
> > by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
> >
> > When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
> >
> > A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
> >
> > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

> I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
> plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising
> cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
> cornmeal.

Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
"smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.