Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cornbread etc

i just downloaded a book called:

The Cornbread Bible
A recipe Storybook

by Jennifer Shambrook PhD

When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set

A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?

She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 19:00:23 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>i just downloaded a book called:
>
>The Cornbread Bible
>A recipe Storybook
>
>by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>
>When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>
>A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>
>She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
>raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

Use baking powder, use the proportions from any cornbread recipe.
I prefer using medium grind corn meal, I like gritty.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...let-cornbread/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 2:00:23 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> i just downloaded a book called:
>

> The Cornbread Bible
>
> A recipe Storybook
>

> by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>

> When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>

> A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>

> She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
>
> raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?
>

> --
>
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

God, why don't you shut the **** up?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> i just downloaded a book called:
>
> The Cornbread Bible
> A recipe Storybook
>
> by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>
> When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>
> A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>
> She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising
cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
cornmeal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 19:00:23 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>i just downloaded a book called:
>>
>>The Cornbread Bible
>>A recipe Storybook
>>
>>by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>>
>>When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>>
>>A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>>
>>She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
>>raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

> Use baking powder, use the proportions from any cornbread recipe.
> I prefer using medium grind corn meal, I like gritty.
> http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...let-cornbread/

Thanks I'll have good look at that site.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> i just downloaded a book called:
>>
>> The Cornbread Bible
>> A recipe Storybook
>>
>> by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>>
>> When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>>
>> A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>>
>> She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
>> raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

> I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
> plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup
> self-rising
> cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for
> self-rising
> cornmeal.

Thanks very much

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
> > i just downloaded a book called:
> >
> > The Cornbread Bible
> > A recipe Storybook
> >
> > by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
> >
> > When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
> >
> > A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
> >
> > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

> I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
> plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising
> cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
> cornmeal.

Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
"smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

>> On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>> > i just downloaded a book called:
>> >
>> > The Cornbread Bible
>> > A recipe Storybook
>> >
>> > by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>> >
>> > When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>> >
>> > A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>> >
>> > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
>> > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to
>> > use?

>> I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1 cup
>> plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup
>> self-rising
>> cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for
>> self-rising
>> cornmeal.
>>

> Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
> grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
> reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
> that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
> "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

I haven't read much of it yet. I only got it a few hours ago and have only
looked through the recipes. What do you think of it in general?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19-Jan-2014, sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>

> > On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> >
> > > i just downloaded a book called:
> > >
> > > The Cornbread Bible
> > > A recipe Storybook
> > >
> > > by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
> > >
> > > When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
> > >
> > > A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
> > >
> > > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> > > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to
> > > use?

> > I've read, and tucked away for future use, that the substitution is 1
> > cup
> > plain cornmeal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup
> > self-rising
> > cornmeal. I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for
> > self-rising
> > cornmeal.
> >

> Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
> grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
> reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
> that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
> "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

I believe it is a "southern" thing, or at least regional. We have it here
in STL in some supermarkets, pretty much the same ones that have hock and
shanks and similar items. Though my grandmother never used it, preferring
coarse ground from the feed mill, self-rising cornmeal is what was sold in
my grandparents general store in 1950s Kentucky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

IF you want to be baking the best cornbread, you will want to get your
cornmeal from a place that ground it recently and stored it gently and
briefly. Cornmeal that's been sitting in a warehouse in formidable temps for
years is not going to serve you well. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:33:46 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
> >
> >> I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
> >> cornmeal.
> >>

> > Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
> > grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
> > reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
> > that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
> > "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

> I haven't read much of it yet. I only got it a few hours ago and have only
> looked through the recipes. What do you think of it in general?

I downloaded it because you mentioned it, but I've been "otherwise
occupied" today to now and haven't gotten any further.

BTW: The price for that Kindle book was " right", so I put it on my
cloud version of Kindle! Thank you for mentioning it. I am not good
about perusing the Kindle "deals" that come in daily.

Hope you still have that cornbread recipe I gave you, because it's
really delicious. I also have a cake recipe that calls for a
combination of cornmeal and flour, but I've ended up making something
else the last two times I thought I'd make it - so I can't vouch for
it yet.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 22:03:52 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 19-Jan-2014, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:15:19 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
> >
> > > I admit that, to date, I have not had the need for self-rising
> > > cornmeal.
> > >

> > Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
> > grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
> > reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
> > that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
> > "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

> I believe it is a "southern" thing, or at least regional. We have it here
> in STL in some supermarkets, pretty much the same ones that have hock and
> shanks and similar items. Though my grandmother never used it, preferring
> coarse ground from the feed mill, self-rising cornmeal is what was sold in
> my grandparents general store in 1950s Kentucky.

Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated! STL (St. Louis) is
centrally located and seems to reflect a little bit of everywhere.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:20:08 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> > On 19-Jan-2014, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> > > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> > > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

> I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the

Here plain and self-rising as well as white or yellow cornmeal is available. I use the yellow variety because it's personal preference and _always_ self-rising.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> IF you want to be baking the best cornbread, you will want to get your
> cornmeal from a place that ground it recently and stored it gently and
> briefly. Cornmeal that's been sitting in a warehouse in formidable temps
> for years is not going to serve you well. Polly

LOL I should be so lucky!!! I live in UK. A local supermarket had a US
section for the first time last week. Quaker Cornmeal was on those shelves
and is the first I had ever seen.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:33:46 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > Me either, but I can't say I've ever seen self-rising cornmeal in the
>> > grocery store either. I downloaded the kindle version to my cloud
>> > reader and see that it must be another typically Southern ingredient
>> > that we don't find elsewhere very often, because she talks about
>> > "smuggling" it into Pennsylvania when she "lived up North".

>> I haven't read much of it yet. I only got it a few hours ago and have
>> only
>> looked through the recipes. What do you think of it in general?

> I downloaded it because you mentioned it, but I've been "otherwise
> occupied" today to now and haven't gotten any further.
>
> BTW: The price for that Kindle book was " right", so I put it on my
> cloud version of Kindle! Thank you for mentioning it. I am not good
> about perusing the Kindle "deals" that come in daily.
>
> Hope you still have that cornbread recipe I gave you, because it's
> really delicious. I also have a cake recipe that calls for a
> combination of cornmeal and flour, but I've ended up making something
> else the last two times I thought I'd make it - so I can't vouch for
> it yet.

I have all the recipes I was given. Ahh I just realise I saved them without
names If you have yours handy again please be so kind as to post it again
because I am not sure which one was yours

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Here plain and self-rising as well as white or yellow cornmeal is
> available. I use the yellow variety because it's personal preference and
> _always_ self-rising.

I only know about the self raising stuff because of that book I mentioned.
I don't know what kind is in the supermarket so I will need to wait and see.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:46:40 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> I have all the recipes I was given. Ahh I just realise I saved them without
> names If you have yours handy again please be so kind as to post it again
> because I am not sure which one was yours

It's the Buttermilk Cornbread.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:46:40 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> I have all the recipes I was given. Ahh I just realise I saved them
>> without
>> names If you have yours handy again please be so kind as to post it
>> again
>> because I am not sure which one was yours

> It's the Buttermilk Cornbread.

Great, thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2014 5:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
>> Here plain and self-rising as well as white or yellow cornmeal is
>> available. I use the yellow variety because it's personal preference
>> and _always_ self-rising.

> I only know about the self raising stuff because of that book I
> mentioned. I don't know what kind is in the supermarket so I will need
> to wait and see.

That Quaker brand most likely won't be self-rising. I never use
self-rising cornmeal (or self-rising flour). There may be a recipe for
cornbread on the cannister of the Quaker brand, just another referance
for you.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/20/2014 5:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> Here plain and self-rising as well as white or yellow cornmeal is
>>> available. I use the yellow variety because it's personal preference
>>> and _always_ self-rising.

>> I only know about the self raising stuff because of that book I
>> mentioned. I don't know what kind is in the supermarket so I will need
>> to wait and see.
>>

> That Quaker brand most likely won't be self-rising. I never use
> self-rising cornmeal (or self-rising flour). There may be a recipe for
> cornbread on the cannister of the Quaker brand, just another referance for
> you.

Good thinking Batwoman
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> i just downloaded a book called:
>
> The Cornbread Bible
> A recipe Storybook
>
> by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>
> When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>
> A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>
> She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

Look carefully at the label, there are several variations of cornmeal.
I'm not sure if self-rising cornmeal has flour added or not; I think it
does.

I use plain yellow cornmeal and add my own flour. [recipe below] My
wife uses the white cornmeal mix that has flour in it already -- she
doesn't know it has any flour -- and makes it with buttermilk. I'm not
sure what recipe she uses. Hers is quite different but good too, except
when she buys white cornmeal by mistake instead of the mix and doesnt
adjust the recipe.

HTH, Bob

*Corn Bread*

1 cup yellow cornmeal (not “cornmeal mix”)
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil or melted shortening
1/4 cup sugar (if you’re a Yankee)

Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 10” iron skillet
and put it in the oven while you quickly mix the batter...

In a medium mixing bowl stir together the dry ingredients. Make a well
in the center. Add the eggs, milk, and oil. Whisk the wet ingredients
with a fork, trying not to pull in much of the dry ingredients at first,
then stir it all together until moistened.

Pour the batter into the hot skillet, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes or
until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Makes about
8 servings.

Notes:
To make buttermilk cornbread: substitute 1 C buttermilk, add 1/2 tsp
baking soda, and reduce the baking powder to 2 tsp.

I added a 15 oz can of creamed corn, and it tasted good but was way too
moist; I should have reduced the milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> i just downloaded a book called:
>>
>> The Cornbread Bible
>> A recipe Storybook
>>
>> by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>>
>> When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>>
>> A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>>
>> She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
>> raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?
>>

> Look carefully at the label, there are several variations of cornmeal.
> I'm not sure if self-rising cornmeal has flour added or not; I think it
> does.
>
> I use plain yellow cornmeal and add my own flour. [recipe below] My wife
> uses the white cornmeal mix that has flour in it already -- she doesn't
> know it has any flour -- and makes it with buttermilk. I'm not sure what
> recipe she uses. Hers is quite different but good too, except when she
> buys white cornmeal by mistake instead of the mix and doesnt adjust the
> recipe.
>
> HTH, Bob

Thank you very much, Bob! I am not sure what I will be getting. Did you
see the pics I posted about US foods? Well it will be the Quaker brand
shown. I will have to look and see if there is a recipe on the box/can. I
am hoping to get over there on Wednesday so if I do, I will report back)

*Corn Bread*

Thanks again) Saved)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:50:43 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

> Look carefully at the label, there are several variations of cornmeal.
> I'm not sure if self-rising cornmeal has flour added or not; I think it
> does.

I googled.

Q: What is Self-Rising Corn Meal?
A: Self-rising Corn meal has leavening and salt, and is enriched with
B vitamins. It does not contain flour.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20-Jan-2014, zxcvbob > wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> > i just downloaded a book called:
> >
> > The Cornbread Bible
> > A recipe Storybook
> >
> > by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
> >
> > When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
> >
> > A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
> >
> > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?
> >

> Look carefully at the label, there are several variations of cornmeal.
> I'm not sure if self-rising cornmeal has flour added or not; I think it
> does.

Good suggestion; some do have flour, others don't. Aunt Jemima brand does
not, Martha White does. Some are called self-rising cornmeal, other
self-rising cornmeal mix - best to read the ingredients panel to know what
any given product has in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> On 20-Jan-2014, zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>> > i just downloaded a book called:
>> >
>> > The Cornbread Bible
>> > A recipe Storybook
>> >
>> > by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>> >
>> > When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>> >
>> > A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>> >
>> > She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
>> > raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to
>> > use?
>> >

>> Look carefully at the label, there are several variations of cornmeal.
>> I'm not sure if self-rising cornmeal has flour added or not; I think it
>> does.

> Good suggestion; some do have flour, others don't. Aunt Jemima brand
> does
> not, Martha White does. Some are called self-rising cornmeal, other
> self-rising cornmeal mix - best to read the ingredients panel to know what
> any given product has in it.

I will be buying the stuff on Wednesday and will report back any
instructions I find))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 20, 2014 1:41:24 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> I googled.
>

> Q: What is Self-Rising Corn Meal?
>
> A: Self-rising Corn meal has leavening and salt, and is enriched with
> B vitamins. It does not contain flour.

Why would you think self-rising cornmeal would contain flour?? It contains leavener(s) as does self-rising flour. Self-rising flour doesn't contain cornmeal and self-rising cornmeal doesn't contain flour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

>> With cornmeal? I am collecting recipes because it is so new, so please
>> would you share?
>>

> Self-rising *flour* (and shortening/lard/butter, and milk)

You add that to the cornmeal? In what quantities?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2014 10:22 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>> With cornmeal? I am collecting recipes because it is so new, so please
>>> would you share?
>>>

>> Self-rising *flour* (and shortening/lard/butter, and milk)

> You add that to the cornmeal? In what quantities?

No, I think Cindy was talking about using (only) self-rising flour to
make US type biscuits (similar to scones).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Self-rising *flour* (and shortening/lard/butter, and milk)

>> You add that to the cornmeal? In what quantities?
>>

> No, I think Cindy was talking about using (only) self-rising flour to make
> US type biscuits (similar to scones).

Ahh ok) thanks.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default And Hush Puppies ? (WAS: Cornbread etc)

On 1/21/2014 10:30 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> If you don't bake, what do you use it for?

>> I can't answer for joan, but I prefer plain cornmeal and plain flour
>> because I use it for things other than baking. Flour for making a
>> simple white sauce, for example. Another example, I combine cornmeal
>> and flour to make a coating for fish fillets. I certainly don't want
>> leavening in the flour or cornmeal for those applications.

> Yes, I use both flours for various needs, but of course the corn meal is
> brand new to me

If you find you like the cornmeal, be it for baking cornbread or as some
sort of coating.... I wonder if you'd like Hush Puppies? Before you
ask, I'll tell you the Southern US legend.

The Legend of Hush Puppies. Many years ago when men were fishing on the
banks of the Mississippi River, they'd gather their catch and fry it in
deep cast iron skillets right there. They'd make a cornmeal batter and
fry up the fish. Naturally they had their dogs with them. The dogs
would cry for the fish. So they put some of the cornmeal batter into
the frying pan, cooked it up, and tossed it to the dogs, saying, "Hush,
puppies!"

Hush Puppies are deep fried cornmeal batter, usually containing minced
onion. Here's an image:

http://tinyurl.com/lw5bvfp

They're really very tasty! But you don't like corn, so maybe not to
your liking. In my case, I don't deep fry anymore.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2014 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> i just downloaded a book called:
>
> The Cornbread Bible
> A recipe Storybook
>
> by Jennifer Shambrook PhD
>
> When I get my corn meal next week I will be well set
>
> A question if I may to all the cornmeal aficionados?
>
> She talks about self raising cornmeal. If the stuff I get isn't self
> raising, what proportion of raising agent (and what) will I need to use?

Back in the early 70's, I went to a Mormon study center at the
University of Hawaii to get a recipe for a unique cornbread. My wife got
the recipe from her high school friend who must have been an LDS member
and she passed the recipe typed on paper torn out of a notebook to me on
the spot. The way I recall it, it was like she was giving me a secret
church recipe.

What was unique about it was that it used Bisquick mix, one cup of
butter, one cup of sugar, and a small amount of cornmeal. It think it
was around half a cup. It made a killer light and sweet cornmeal cake
that was nothing like a traditional cornbread. Traditionalists would
shit in their pants at it being called "cornbread" but these days it's
called "Hawaiian cornbread" which seems appropriate. The strange thing
is that it may have it's origins in the Mormon church. Well hell, my
recipe certainly did. :-)

Cornbread Pie Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 10-01-2007 10:13 PM
Cornbread Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 5 30-12-2006 07:14 AM
Cornbread kilikini General Cooking 3 28-12-2006 07:35 PM
Cornbread Ken Davey General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 06:01 PM
Cornbread - I wonder why? jmcquown General Cooking 74 29-08-2005 05:16 PM