jmcquown

Default Cornbread - I wonder why?

With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy baguettes,
herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does no one sell
cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in the southern U.S.)?
Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and sell.

Of course, you can purchase mixes if you aren't inclined to bake your own.
Those mixes are far too sweet for my taste. Maybe that's at the crux of it.
Some people like it sweet; others not sweet. Some swear by white cornmeal;
I prefer yellow. Some like corn kernels in cornbread; others like jalapeno
peppers. Too many variations?

Jill's Cornbread

1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
1 c. white flour
up to 1/4 c. sugar (I use about 1 Tablespoon)
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter, shortening/lard or bacon grease
1 c. buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Blend the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl; stir in the butter (softened),
shortening/lard or bacon grease. Add the buttermilk and egg and stir well.
Mixture will appear a little lumpy. Pour into a lightly greased pan (I use
an 8" cast iron skillet or my sectioned cast iron cornbread pan). Bake at
425F until golden brown, about 25 minutes.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

-L.

jmcquown wrote:
> With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy baguettes,
> herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does no one sell
> cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in the southern U.S.)?
> Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and sell.

I think it's a spoilage issue. Most cornbreads, IME, mold fairly
quickly.

> Of course, you can purchase mixes if you aren't inclined to bake your own.
> Those mixes are far too sweet for my taste.

Jiffy mix actually is pretty good if you're in a pinch. I add a little
sugar to it though.

> Maybe that's at the crux of it.
> Some people like it sweet; others not sweet. Some swear by white cornmeal;
> I prefer yellow. Some like corn kernels in cornbread; others like jalapeno
> peppers. Too many variations?
>
> Jill's Cornbread
>
> 1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
> 1 c. white flour
> up to 1/4 c. sugar (I use about 1 Tablespoon)
> 4 tsp. baking powder
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/4 c. butter, shortening/lard or bacon grease
> 1 c. buttermilk
> 1 large egg, lightly beaten
>
> Blend the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl; stir in the butter (softened),
> shortening/lard or bacon grease. Add the buttermilk and egg and stir well.
> Mixture will appear a little lumpy. Pour into a lightly greased pan (I use
> an 8" cast iron skillet or my sectioned cast iron cornbread pan). Bake at
> 425F until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
>
> Jill

Thanks for the rec.

-L.

jmcquown

-L. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy
>> baguettes, herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does
>> no one sell cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in
>> the southern U.S.)? Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and
>> sell.

> I think it's a spoilage issue. Most cornbreads, IME, mold fairly
> quickly.
>

>> Of course, you can purchase mixes if you aren't inclined to bake
>> your own. Those mixes are far too sweet for my taste.

> Jiffy mix actually is pretty good if you're in a pinch. I add a
> little sugar to it though.
>
>> Maybe that's at the crux of it.
>> Some people like it sweet; others not sweet. Some swear by white
>> cornmeal; I prefer yellow. Some like corn kernels in cornbread;
>> others like jalapeno peppers. Too many variations?
>>
>> Jill's Cornbread
>>
>> 1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
>> 1 c. white flour
>> up to 1/4 c. sugar (I use about 1 Tablespoon)
>> 4 tsp. baking powder
>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>> 1/4 c. butter, shortening/lard or bacon grease
>> 1 c. buttermilk
>> 1 large egg, lightly beaten
>>
>> Blend the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl; stir in the butter
>> (softened), shortening/lard or bacon grease. Add the buttermilk and
>> egg and stir well. Mixture will appear a little lumpy. Pour into a
>> lightly greased pan (I use an 8" cast iron skillet or my sectioned
>> cast iron cornbread pan). Bake at 425F until golden brown, about 25
>> minutes.
>>
>> Jill

> Thanks for the rec.
>
> -L.

jmcquown

-L. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy
>> baguettes, herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does
>> no one sell cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in
>> the southern U.S.)? Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and
>> sell.

> I think it's a spoilage issue. Most cornbreads, IME, mold fairly
> quickly.

I nearly mentioned that. However, if you refrigerate cornbread it can last
a week without starting to mold. Or do as I do and dry it into crumbs for
stuffing

>> Of course, you can purchase mixes if you aren't inclined to bake
>> your own. Those mixes are far too sweet for my taste.

> Jiffy mix actually is pretty good if you're in a pinch. I add a
> little sugar to it though.

Yikes! You add *sugar* to Jiffy mix? LOL

> Thanks for the rec.
>
> -L.

You're welcome! If it doesn't rain I might be baking cornbread on my grill
this afternoon. My yellow squash casserole in greatly enhanced by the use
of cornbread crumbs. However, I'm toying with the idea of using the
sourdough 'innards' from the last time I prepared bread bowls for my
potato-leek soup. I froze the bread I'd scooped from the center of the
rounds. I believe I could butter it, toast it, crumble it and use that in
place of the cornbread. Time (and the weather - it seems to like to rain
when I'm ready to grill) will tell.

Jill

Penny Lane

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy baguettes,
> herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does no one sell
> cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in the southern U.S.)?
> Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and sell.

J,

In Florida at least Publix sells cornbread as well as Sweetbay. It's pretty
good. Penny

AlleyGator

"jmcquown" > wrote:

>With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy baguettes,
>herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does no one sell
>cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in the southern U.S.)?
>Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and sell.
>
>Of course, you can purchase mixes if you aren't inclined to bake your own.
>Those mixes are far too sweet for my taste. Maybe that's at the crux of it.
>Some people like it sweet; others not sweet. Some swear by white cornmeal;
>I prefer yellow. Some like corn kernels in cornbread; others like jalapeno
>peppers. Too many variations?
>
>Jill's Cornbread
>
>1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
>1 c. white flour
>up to 1/4 c. sugar (I use about 1 Tablespoon)
>4 tsp. baking powder
>1/2 tsp. salt
>1/4 c. butter, shortening/lard or bacon grease
>1 c. buttermilk
>1 large egg, lightly beaten

I like the looks of your recipe, and may give it a try - cornbread is
one of my favorite things. Since I live in the southern portion of
Illinois I'm torn between the sugar - no sugar thing. So basically if
the recipe asks for sugar I halve the amount. Like a comedian once
said, talking about Southern food: "don't put the sugar in the
cornbread - put it in the tea where it belongs. You take a bite of
cornbread it's supposed to suck 90 percent of the moisture right out
of your body". I love leftover cornbread forbreakfast, with mil,
sugar and cinnamon. Good stuff. The mother-in-law uses white
cornmeal and fills it with crunchy pieces of fried fatback - sorry,
can't get used to that.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 26 Aug 2005 03:10:17a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy
> baguettes, herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does no
> one sell cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in the
> southern U.S.)? Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and sell.

Could it be that the best Southern cornbread is served steaming hot from
the oven with a crispy crust, both of which would be lacking in anything
purchased? Having said that, I do sometimes see cornbread muffings and,
less frequently, small loaves for sale in bakeries. I've never bought
them.

The only two ways I like cornbread that isn't straight out of the oven is
to split the wedges, butter, then put under the broiler until beginning to
crisp. Or, broken in small pieces and eaten with buttermilk.

> Of course, you can purchase mixes if you aren't inclined to bake your
> own. Those mixes are far too sweet for my taste. Maybe that's at the
> crux of it. Some people like it sweet; others not sweet. Some swear by
> white cornmeal; I prefer yellow. Some like corn kernels in cornbread;
> others like jalapeno peppers. Too many variations?

I don't like any of the mixes because for me they are too sweet and the
cornmeal is ground much too fine. I also prefer cornbread made without
flour, and don't particularly care for other additions. If I don't have
stoneground white cornmeal, I won't make it. :-)

> Jill's Cornbread
>
> 1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
> 1 c. white flour
> up to 1/4 c. sugar (I use about 1 Tablespoon)
> 4 tsp. baking powder
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/4 c. butter, shortening/lard or bacon grease
> 1 c. buttermilk
> 1 large egg, lightly beaten
>
> Blend the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl; stir in the butter
> (softened), shortening/lard or bacon grease. Add the buttermilk and egg
> and stir well. Mixture will appear a little lumpy. Pour into a lightly
> greased pan (I use an 8" cast iron skillet or my sectioned cast iron
> cornbread pan). Bake at 425F until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
>
> Jill

As Jill said, there are many preferences for, and variations of cornbread
recipes. Here's the one I use.

Wayne's Grandmother's Cornbread

2 cups stoneground white cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 to 1/2 cup melted shortening, lard, or bacon grease
3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425° F. Generously grease a 9" iron skillet and place in
oven to heat while preparing batter. Combine dry ingredients in medium
mixing bowl. Stir in melted fat, followed by the buttermilk and egg. Stir
well. Batter should be very thick, but pourable. Adjust liquid
accordingly. When skillet is just beginning to smoke, pour batter into pan
and bake until top is firm and golden, about 30-35 minutes. Using a plate,
flip bread out and turn back into skillet upside down. Return to oven for
5 minutes. Turn out onto plate, cut in wedges, and serve immediately.

Notes: Stoneground meal varies in its capacity to absorb liquid. If you
think the finished cornbread is too dry, add the larger amount of fat, not
more liquid.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Bob (this one)

-L. wrote:

> Jiffy mix actually is pretty good if you're in a pinch. I add a little
> sugar to it though.

Try something. Combine a Jiffy corn bread mix with Jiffy yellow cake
mix. Add all the fixings called for to the bowl. Bake at 375°F until a
tester comes out clean.

It's certainly not corn bread; more like a corn cake, and people who
don't like sweet corn bread like it because it's so different. Warm,
with butter melting into it is lovely. Plain ain't bad, either. Nutella
doesn't hurt it. Spoon some sliced, sugared strawberries over top;
vanilla ice cream if it's still warm.

Pastorio
Gregory Morrow

-L. wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy

baguettes,
> > herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does no one sell
> > cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in the southern

U.S.)?
> > Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and sell.

> I think it's a spoilage issue. Most cornbreads, IME, mold fairly
> quickly.

Yup, I've never seen cornbread sold in any stores, North or South. Also
even if the spoilage issue could be reasonably resolved cornbread dries out
so quickly that the shelf life would probably be limited to hours, not
days...

Besides which, it's easy enough to make, either using a mix or Jill's
recipe. I've even taken to making mine (Jiffy mix) in the microwave as of
late, it turns out okay...the microwave recipe is in fact included in
Jiffy's recipe book.

--
Best
Greg

tsr3

Looks good--especially the bacon grease! Most of the time I use
cornbread recipes that just call for the cornmeal--no white flour.

jmcquown

tsr3 wrote:
> Looks good--especially the bacon grease! Most of the time I use
> cornbread recipes that just call for the cornmeal--no white flour.

Here's a photo of the cornbread (baked in my sectioned cast iron pan):

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74365823TtOJGp

Jill

Bob

Wayne wrote:

> The only two ways I like cornbread that isn't straight out of the oven is
> to split the wedges, butter, then put under the broiler until beginning to
> crisp. Or, broken in small pieces and eaten with buttermilk.

tsr3

Oh Wow!--now that's some really nice looking cornbread.... becky

Bob

[Sorry for the previous message; I meant to hit "Save" but hit "Send"
instead.]

Wayne wrote:

> The only two ways I like cornbread that isn't straight out of the oven is
> to split the wedges, butter, then put under the broiler until beginning to
> crisp. Or, broken in small pieces and eaten with buttermilk.

I make a breakfast concoction by splitting a leftover wedge of cornbread,
and putting the two halves together to make a cornbread rectangle. On top
of the cornbread, I put chipotle-and-garlic flavored turkey sausage patties.
A couple poached eggs go on top of the sausage, then I cover the whole thing
with a habañero Mornay sauce.

I also like leftover cornbread with chili and/or barbecue.

Bob

Lisa Smith

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> -L. wrote:
>
> > Jiffy mix actually is pretty good if you're in a pinch. I add a little
> > sugar to it though.

> Try something. Combine a Jiffy corn bread mix with Jiffy yellow cake
> mix. Add all the fixings called for to the bowl. Bake at 375°F until a
> tester comes out clean.
>
> It's certainly not corn bread; more like a corn cake, and people who
> don't like sweet corn bread like it because it's so different. Warm,
> with butter melting into it is lovely. Plain ain't bad, either. Nutella
> doesn't hurt it. Spoon some sliced, sugared strawberries over top;
> vanilla ice cream if it's still warm.
>
> Pastorio

Ooo I'm gettin all kinds of yummy ideas from RFC today. I have to say I'm of
those who likes a sweeter cornbread, with melted butter brushed over the top
right outta the oven..................

Lisa aka Pagemaster

Dee Randall

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> tsr3 wrote:
>> Looks good--especially the bacon grease! Most of the time I use
>> cornbread recipes that just call for the cornmeal--no white flour.

> Here's a photo of the cornbread (baked in my sectioned cast iron pan):
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74365823TtOJGp
>
> Jill

Jill, them thar beans look darned gooouuud, too!
I love webshots. I download lots of the community food shots. How pleasant
when they come up.

I only have one on Webshots, and I don't know why or how I ever put it on
there; probably just seeing if I could, but it's just a shot of me coming
out of a Charleston, SC restaurant after a hearty meal some years back.

I ran thru your slide show. Thanks - I enjoyed it so much.
Dee Dee

jmcquown

tsr3 wrote:
> Oh Wow!--now that's some really nice looking cornbread.... becky

Thankee, ma'am It's not a dense as some cornbreads (the ones without
flour) but also not sweet like cake. I love it. I've even baked it on a
grill over lump charcoal during a week-long power outage. I cooked bacon on
a cast iron griddle first then reserved the drippings for cornbread.
Delicious!

Jill

jmcquown

Dee Randall wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> tsr3 wrote:
>>> Looks good--especially the bacon grease! Most of the time I use
>>> cornbread recipes that just call for the cornmeal--no white flour.

>> Here's a photo of the cornbread (baked in my sectioned cast iron
>> pan):
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74365823TtOJGp
>>
>> Jill

> Jill, them thar beans look darned gooouuud, too!
> I love webshots. I download lots of the community food shots. How
> pleasant when they come up.

Thanks! That's from my dad's recipe for Navy Bean soup. The soup was (as
always) great and I might have even used dried Great Northern beans rather
than Navy beans. The cornbread was as an accompaniment and the champagne -
Korbel Brut extra dry - was nice and bubbly

> I only have one on Webshots, and I don't know why or how I ever put
> it on there; probably just seeing if I could, but it's just a shot of
> me coming out of a Charleston, SC restaurant after a hearty meal some
> years back.
>
> I ran thru your slide show. Thanks - I enjoyed it so much.
> Dee Dee

Thanks again! When I get my new digital camera (next week!) I'll go back to
taking some food pics and pics of my cat, lovebird and other stuff.

Jill

jmcquown

AlleyGator wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy
>> baguettes, herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does
>> no one sell cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in
>> the southern U.S.)? Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and
>> sell.
>>

> I like the looks of your recipe, and may give it a try - cornbread is
> one of my favorite things. Since I live in the southern portion of
> Illinois I'm torn between the sugar - no sugar thing.

Lots of people are torn... I leave room for some sugar allowance. And the
creamed corn (shudder) allowance and the sliced jalapeno allowance.

> the recipe asks for sugar I halve the amount. Like a comedian once
> said, talking about Southern food: "don't put the sugar in the
> cornbread - put it in the tea where it belongs. You take a bite of
> cornbread it's supposed to suck 90 percent of the moisture right out
> of your body".

LOL I hate iced tea! Sorry, never could stand the stuff. But I sometimes
drink hot tea with a little honey and a splash of milk.

I love leftover cornbread forbreakfast, with milk,
> sugar and cinnamon. Good stuff. The mother-in-law uses white
> cornmeal and fills it with crunchy pieces of fried fatback - sorry,
> can't get used to that.

I doubt I could get used to that either. Now give me a biscuit with bacon
and egg... there's something to ponder

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 26 Aug 2005 08:40:09a, Bob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> [Sorry for the previous message; I meant to hit "Save" but hit "Send"
> instead.]
>
> Wayne wrote:
>
>> The only two ways I like cornbread that isn't straight out of the oven
>> is to split the wedges, butter, then put under the broiler until
>> beginning to crisp. Or, broken in small pieces and eaten with
>> buttermilk.

> I make a breakfast concoction by splitting a leftover wedge of
> cornbread, and putting the two halves together to make a cornbread
> rectangle. On top of the cornbread, I put chipotle-and-garlic flavored
> turkey sausage patties. A couple poached eggs go on top of the sausage,
> then I cover the whole thing with a habañero Mornay sauce.
>
> I also like leftover cornbread with chili and/or barbecue.

That sounds really good, but I don't do turkey-anything. I'd use regular
sausage.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Seamus

>why does no one sell cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks
Find cornbread all over the place here, west of Philly. The local Fresh
Fields can be counted on to have a tray of samples in the bakery dept.

jmcquown

Seamus wrote:
>> why does no one sell cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks

> Find cornbread all over the place here, west of Philly. The local
> Fresh Fields can be counted on to have a tray of samples in the
> bakery dept.

Huh... that's interesting I've been in the southern U.S. for 30+ years
and have never seen it except in home cooking diners.

Jill

Seamus

IIRC, the Food Lion in Waynesboro, VA also carried cornbread.

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Yup, I've never seen cornbread sold in any stores, North or South. Also
> even if the spoilage issue could be reasonably resolved cornbread dries out
> so quickly that the shelf life would probably be limited to hours, not
> days...

In my experience, which is pretty much limited to Chicago, baking soda
raised breads are rarely sold in stores, except perhaps sweet ones.
Corn muffins are an exception. Or are they typically sweet? (I've never
had one.)

-bwg

jmcquown

Seamus wrote:
> IIRC, the Food Lion in Waynesboro, VA also carried cornbread.

Virginia (while I did live there twice) is not exactly southern USian in my
experience, food-wise. (Boli would beg to differ!) I think my mom bought a
cornbread mix when we lived there. It tasted so sweet to me and came with a
little tin baking sheet.

I've never seen a 'Food Lion' unless you wish to discuss someone who scarfs
down food at the rate of a lion! LOL

Jill

Jeff Bienstadt

AlleyGator wrote:

[snippage]
> I love leftover cornbread forbreakfast, with mil,
> sugar and cinnamon. Good stuff.

Tom Douglas, a chef here in Seattle, does a very good cornbread pudding:
http://www.januarymagazine.com/profi...ouglasrec.html

---jkb

--
Lisa: "Do we have any food that wasn't brutally slaughtered?"
Homer: "Well, I think the veal died of loneliness."

Gerlonda Battles

Another "not cornbread" doctoring up for Jiffy Cornbread mix is to add a
few more tablespoons of flour, a little cooking oil or melted butter (if
you dare) and a drained small can of crushed pineapple, in juice not
heavy syrup. Tried both muffins and in square pan. Really good.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Bob (this one) wrote:

> -L. wrote:
>
> > Jiffy mix actually is pretty good if you're in a pinch. I add a little
> > sugar to it though.

> Try something. Combine a Jiffy corn bread mix with Jiffy yellow cake
> mix. Add all the fixings called for to the bowl. Bake at 375=B0F until a
> tester comes out clean.
>
> It's certainly not corn bread; more like a corn cake, and people who
> don't like sweet corn bread like it because it's so different. Warm,
> with butter melting into it is lovely. Plain ain't bad, either. Nutella
> doesn't hurt it. Spoon some sliced, sugared strawberries over top;
> vanilla ice cream if it's still warm.
>
> Pastorio

Roberta

Bob wrote:
> [Sorry for the previous message; I meant to hit "Save" but hit "Send"
> instead.]
>
> Wayne wrote:
>

>>The only two ways I like cornbread that isn't straight out of the oven is
>>to split the wedges, butter, then put under the broiler until beginning to
>>crisp. Or, broken in small pieces and eaten with buttermilk.

> I make a breakfast concoction by splitting a leftover wedge of cornbread,
> and putting the two halves together to make a cornbread rectangle. On top
> of the cornbread, I put chipotle-and-garlic flavored turkey sausage patties.
> A couple poached eggs go on top of the sausage, then I cover the whole thing
> with a habañero Mornay sauce.
>
> I also like leftover cornbread with chili and/or barbecue.
>
> Bob

My Granddad used to take left over corn bread, break it up in a bowl and
pour warm milk and sugar over it. I never liked the sound of it but he
ate that alot.

Roberta (in VA)
MareCat

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> With all the specialty breads - sourdough, freshly baked fancy
> baguettes,
> herbed bread rounds, etc. at the grocery stores why does no one sell
> cornbread loaves, cornmuffins, cornsticks (at least in the southern
> U.S.)?
> Seems like they would be inexpensive to bake and sell.

Jill, I've seen cornbread in Kroger stores in the Houston area. (I
sometimes pick up a couple trays of it just before Thanksgiving to use
in my sausage cornbread stuffing.)

Mary

Doug Weller

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:01:45 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, jmcquown wrote:

>Seamus wrote:
>> IIRC, the Food Lion in Waynesboro, VA also carried cornbread.

>Virginia (while I did live there twice) is not exactly southern USian in my
>experience, food-wise. (Boli would beg to differ!) I think my mom bought a
>cornbread mix when we lived there. It tasted so sweet to me and came with a
>little tin baking sheet.

I've bought it in Burnsville, N.C., can't remember which supermarket.

Doug
--
Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com

notbob

On 2005-08-26, jmcquown > wrote:

> Here's a photo of the cornbread (baked in my sectioned cast iron pan):
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74365823TtOJGp

Thanks a heap, Jill!

I wasn't going to do any shopping till Monday and now I gotta go down and
get some hocks and buttermilk. harumphh....

nb
jmcquown

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-08-26, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Here's a photo of the cornbread (baked in my sectioned cast iron
>> pan):
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74365823TtOJGp

> Thanks a heap, Jill!
>
> I wasn't going to do any shopping till Monday and now I gotta go down
> and get some hocks and buttermilk. harumphh....
>
> nb

My pleasure, sweetie

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 26 Aug 2005 02:01:18p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> notbob wrote:
>> On 2005-08-26, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> Here's a photo of the cornbread (baked in my sectioned cast iron
>>> pan):
>>>
>>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74365823TtOJGp

>> Thanks a heap, Jill!
>>
>> I wasn't going to do any shopping till Monday and now I gotta go down
>> and get some hocks and buttermilk. harumphh....
>>
>> nb

> My pleasure, sweetie

Sounds like a good thing to me!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
itsjoannotjoann

jmcquown wrote:
> Some swear by white cornmeal;
> I prefer yellow.
>

> Jill's Cornbread
>
> 1 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
> 1 c. white flour
> up to 1/4 c. sugar (I use about 1 Tablespoon)
> 4 tsp. baking powder
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/4 c. butter, shortening/lard or bacon grease
> 1 c. buttermilk
> 1 large egg, lightly beaten
>

> Jill
> --

I prefer yellow cornmeal, too, and self-rising stoneground, please,
with bacon grease. I also like to use about a tablespoon of sugar as
it just does something for the cornbread. Sorta like what vanilla
extract does for cakes.

When it comes out of the oven slap copious amounts of butter on that
wedge and get outta my way!!

Bob (this one)

jmcquown wrote:
> Seamus wrote:
>
>>IIRC, the Food Lion in Waynesboro, VA also carried cornbread.

Yep. And Staunton, Verona and points north and south.

> Virginia (while I did live there twice) is not exactly southern USian in my
> experience, food-wise. (Boli would beg to differ!)

So would Pastorio who lives in the Shenandoah Valley. Look at the
traditional menus around here and see southern cooking at its finest.

> I think my mom bought a
> cornbread mix when we lived there. It tasted so sweet to me and came with a
> little tin baking sheet.

Northern Virginia isn't the south. It's basically D.C. And the coast
where all the big ships full of sailors isn't the south, either.

Faulkner said you can't get further south than Charlottesville. He lived
there the last years of his life.

> I've never seen a 'Food Lion' unless you wish to discuss someone who scarfs
> down food at the rate of a lion! LOL

Large and growing chain of supermarkets headquartered in Salisbury, N.C.

Pastorio
Dee Randall

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Seamus wrote:
>>
>>>IIRC, the Food Lion in Waynesboro, VA also carried cornbread.

> Yep. And Staunton, Verona and points north and south.
>
>> Virginia (while I did live there twice) is not exactly southern USian in
>> my
>> experience, food-wise. (Boli would beg to differ!)

> So would Pastorio who lives in the Shenandoah Valley. Look at the
> traditional menus around here and see southern cooking at its finest.
>
>> I think my mom bought a
>> cornbread mix when we lived there. It tasted so sweet to me and came
>> with a
>> little tin baking sheet.

> Northern Virginia isn't the south. It's basically D.C. And the coast where
> all the big ships full of sailors isn't the south, either.
>
> Faulkner said you can't get further south than Charlottesville. He lived
> there the last years of his life.
>
>> I've never seen a 'Food Lion' unless you wish to discuss someone who
>> scarfs
>> down food at the rate of a lion! LOL

> Large and growing chain of supermarkets headquartered in Salisbury, N.C.
>
> Pastorio

When I moved to the Shenandoah Valley, VA 13 years ago, while getting
settled, I stopped a woman in Strasburg, VA and asked her if she knew of a
grocery store that I was looking for, called the 'Family Lion.' I oft look
back on that day and think of her kindness when she said that there was a
Food Lion, if that might be what I was looking for, and gave me directions.
There was not a 'snort' from her or her young daughter for me calling it the
'Family Lion' and I look fondly on it as country folk who had good Southern
manners. I wonder if they thought it as funny as I do, having called it the
Family Lion many times since, making fun of myself.

Northern Virginia folk are moving further west and it probably won't be too
many years that they'll be all the way to Hwy 81 and the WV border. In
Winchester, there are many people who have settled in coming from NE U.S.
Times are a changing.

I can't remember Faulkner's reasoning for saying that about Charlottesville,
but I find truth in it.
Dee Dee

Dee Dee

jmcquown

Bob (this one) wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Seamus wrote:
>>
>>> IIRC, the Food Lion in Waynesboro, VA also carried cornbread.

> Yep. And Staunton, Verona and points north and south.
>
>> Virginia (while I did live there twice) is not exactly southern
>> USian in my experience, food-wise. (Boli would beg to differ!)

> So would Pastorio who lives in the Shenandoah Valley. Look at the
> traditional menus around here and see southern cooking at its finest.

Oh Shendandoah, I long to hear you,
Away, you rolling river!
Oh Shenandoah, I long to hear you
Away, I'm bound away
'cross the wide Missouri.

Did I mention I lived in Virginia (twice)? Still no good cornbread there
from my recollections, so sorry.

Jill

Bob (this one)

jmcquown wrote:

> Did I mention I lived in Virginia (twice)? Still no good cornbread there
> from my recollections, so sorry.

What parts of Virginia did you live in? It matters.

Pastorio
Margaret Suran

jmcquown wrote:
> tsr3 wrote:
>
>>Looks good--especially the bacon grease! Most of the time I use
>>cornbread recipes that just call for the cornmeal--no white flour.

> Here's a photo of the cornbread (baked in my sectioned cast iron pan):
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74365823TtOJGp
>
> Jill

Jill, every time you post about corn bread, I visualize a tiny ladybug
walking on it, while it is cooling. )

The picture you posted looks simply yummy. Thank you. MS

Cornbread etc Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 78 23-01-2014 06:42 AM
Cornbread Pie Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 10-01-2007 10:13 PM
Cornbread Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 5 30-12-2006 07:14 AM
Cornbread kilikini General Cooking 3 28-12-2006 07:35 PM
Cornbread Ken Davey General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 06:01 PM