Old 14-11-2013, 03:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default condensed milk

I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea
condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my
shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery
shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

Old 14-11-2013, 03:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:12:58 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea

condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my

shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery

shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

..

Let us know how it performs vs. the full fat stuff. What are you planning to use it in? WE WANNA REPORT.
Old 14-11-2013, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 07:38:07 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
wrote:

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:12:58 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea

condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my

shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery

shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

.

Let us know how it performs vs. the full fat stuff. What are you planning to use it in? WE WANNA REPORT.

I think that I read or heard somewhere that sauces will break if not
using full fat milk. Has anyone else heard or experienced this?
Janet US
Old 14-11-2013, 04:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea
condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my
shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery
shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

I don't mean to start a flame war, but what reason is there not to use a
full-fat milk product?

-S-

Old 14-11-2013, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:12:58 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea

condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my

shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery

shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

.

Let us know how it performs vs. the full fat stuff. What are you planning to use it in? WE WANNA REPORT.

Heh. I haven't thought ahead that far yet. If I do find a lower fat
version, I might be persuaded to attempt making a Tres Leches cake...
which is something I've wanted to try - but they are so darned rich!

Old 14-11-2013, 05:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:21:27 -0500, "Steve Freides"
wrote:

sf wrote:

I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea
condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my
shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery
shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

I don't mean to start a flame war, but what reason is there not to use a
full-fat milk product?

I don't want all that fat.

Old 14-11-2013, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:12:58 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:

I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea

condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my

shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery

shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

.

Let us know how it performs vs. the full fat stuff. What are you planning to use it in? WE WANNA REPORT.

I think that I read or heard somewhere that sauces will break if not

using full fat milk. Has anyone else heard or experienced this?

Yes. I used a fat free sour cream in a sauce and it turned to something like splinters.
Old 14-11-2013, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea
condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my
shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery
shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

Is this to make a dessert? Like pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving?
Unless you use something like that often, you should stick to the full
fat version, imo. If it's only an occasional holiday dessert, I'd go
for full flavor. You might get by with the low fat but the non-fat
will definitely leave you with a loss of flavor/quality.

G.
Old 14-11-2013, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2013 1:28 PM, Gary wrote:
sf wrote:

I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea
condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my
shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery
shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

Is this to make a dessert? Like pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving?
Unless you use something like that often, you should stick to the full
fat version, imo. If it's only an occasional holiday dessert, I'd go
for full flavor. You might get by with the low fat but the non-fat
will definitely leave you with a loss of flavor/quality.

I won't argue about condensed milk but, after many years using non-fat
or skim milk on my cereal, I can drink such milk without nausea while
regular full-fat milk tastes unpleasant. However, even non-fat milk is
much improved if I drink it with something sweet.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old 14-11-2013, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-14, James Silverton wrote:

I won't argue about condensed milk but, after many years using non-fat
or skim milk on my cereal, I can drink such milk without nausea while
regular full-fat milk tastes unpleasant. However, even non-fat milk is
much improved if I drink it with something sweet.

I don't even drink milk, anymore. If a want a moo-juice facsimile, I
buy almond milk. Better than soy milk, which is horrible. 8P

nb

Old 14-11-2013, 08:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

sf wrote:

I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea
condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my
shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery
shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

I don't mean to start a flame war, but what reason is there not to use a
full-fat milk product?

I don't want all that fat.

I had never seen anything but plain old sweetened condensed milk. given
the sweetness, I would have thought that the fat would be the least of
things to worry about.

Old 14-11-2013, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:09:52 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
wrote:

I used a fat free sour cream in a sauce and it turned to something like splinters.

I don't have that experience with fat free sour cream, but I use it to
finish a flour based gravy not as the only ingredient.

Old 14-11-2013, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:28:35 -0500, Gary wrote:

sf wrote:

I feel like I've been living under a rock because I had no idea
condensed milk came any way other than full fat! Putting it on my
shopping list to check out the availability when I go grocery
shopping. http://oi43.tinypic.com/wj89le.jpg

Is this to make a dessert? Like pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving?
Unless you use something like that often, you should stick to the full
fat version, imo. If it's only an occasional holiday dessert, I'd go
for full flavor. You might get by with the low fat but the non-fat
will definitely leave you with a loss of flavor/quality.

I sincerely doubt that with a dessert. Sweetened condensed milk adds
sugar, not flavor. I can't think of anything that I would be missing
from coconut macaroons, bar cookies, key lime pie, tres leches cake or
even Thai tea if I used the low or no fat version.

Old 14-11-2013, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

Yes. I used a fat free sour cream in a sauce and it turned to something like splinters.

Not often, but occasionally I enjoy a bowl of fat free splinters.

G.
Old 14-11-2013, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Dave Smith wrote:

I had never seen anything but plain old sweetened condensed milk. given
the sweetness, I would have thought that the fat would be the least of
things to worry about.

Really? You don't have Pet milk in Canada?

Wait, there's a Stan Rogers lyric that talks about a ranch
wife pouring "Carnation from the can", IIRC into her coffee.
I'm pretty sure that means regular evaporated milk.

Plus, lots of people say "condensed" when they mean "evaporated". It's
usually easy to tell from context what the mean.

Cindy Hamilton