Frode Tennebø

Default can't cook ... condensed milk

I'm trying to make my first bannoffe pie.

The recipe I found on the net claimed 2 hours cooking for the condensed
milk. This resulted in a caramel milk, but no toffee spread. Another
recipe I found after more research claimed cooking for five hours. As
said as done. This did not thicken either (not judging from the glunk
sound I hear when I shake the can - I didn't open it yet).

What is wrong? I'm using Rainbow "condensed full cream evaporated milk"
by Friesland Dairy Foods (Holland) (the one brand I managed to get hold
of). Wrong milk? Too short cooking?

Is there another way of doing this? Can I salvage the can I have?

Regards,
-Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø | email: | Frode@IRC ^
| with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer; |
zxcvbob

Frode Tennebø wrote:

> I'm trying to make my first bannoffe pie.
>
> The recipe I found on the net claimed 2 hours cooking for the condensed
> milk. This resulted in a caramel milk, but no toffee spread. Another
> recipe I found after more research claimed cooking for five hours. As
> said as done. This did not thicken either (not judging from the glunk
> sound I hear when I shake the can - I didn't open it yet).
>
> What is wrong? I'm using Rainbow "condensed full cream evaporated milk"
> by Friesland Dairy Foods (Holland) (the one brand I managed to get hold
> of). Wrong milk? Too short cooking?
>
> Is there another way of doing this? Can I salvage the can I have?
>
> Regards,
> -Frode

Are you using *sweetened* condensed milk? The description doesn't sound
like it.

Bob
Frode Tennebø

On Monday 01 August 2005 23:52 zxcvbob wrote:

> Are you using *sweetened* condensed milk? The description doesn't
> sound like it.

It doens't say. "Ingredients: pure cow's milk, vitamin D3, stabilizer
(E339). Milkfat: 8%, Milksolids, not fat: 18%, Total milksolids: 26%."

However, at least one recipe doesn't say sweetened, actually it says
skimmed (which is only true for the fat, but anyway):

http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm/...D/514121.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/awhof

Does it matter?

-Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø | email: | Frode@IRC ^
| with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer; |
zxcvbob

Frode Tennebø wrote:

> On Monday 01 August 2005 23:52 zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>Are you using *sweetened* condensed milk? The description doesn't
>>sound like it.

> It doens't say. "Ingredients: pure cow's milk, vitamin D3, stabilizer
> (E339). Milkfat: 8%, Milksolids, not fat: 18%, Total milksolids: 26%."
>
> However, at least one recipe doesn't say sweetened, actually it says
> skimmed (which is only true for the fat, but anyway):
>
> http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm/...D/514121.shtml
> http://tinyurl.com/awhof
>
> Does it matter?
>
> -Frode

Yes it matters. The recipe is not written very well (or maybe the
terminology is just different in the UK), but I think it wants sweetened
condensed milk. Or if you have a Mexican supermarket nearby, you might
can buy a can of Dulce de Leche and skip the boiling.

In the US, the most common name for sweetened condensed milk is Eagle
Brand (I usually buy cheaper stuff). HTH :-)

Best regards,
Bob
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 01 Aug 2005 03:01:17p, Frode Tennebø wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Monday 01 August 2005 23:52 zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Are you using *sweetened* condensed milk? The description doesn't
>> sound like it.

> It doens't say. "Ingredients: pure cow's milk, vitamin D3, stabilizer
> (E339). Milkfat: 8%, Milksolids, not fat: 18%, Total milksolids: 26%."
>
> However, at least one recipe doesn't say sweetened, actually it says
> skimmed (which is only true for the fat, but anyway):
>
> http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm/....newrecipe/ID/
> 514121.shtml http://tinyurl.com/awhof
>
> Does it matter?
>
> -Frode

Yes, it matter greatly. It is the sugar in sweetened condensed milk that
is most responsible for it caramelizing.

What you're using seems to be nothing more than evaporated milk. It will
never caramelize.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

sf

http://www.rainbowmilk.com/rainbowregular.htm

> Wrong milk?

Yes. Try Eagle or Carnation (brand) sweetened condensed milk
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind...ensed_Milk.htm
http://www.verybestbaking.com/produc...t/default.aspx

I don't know if Pet makes it or not.

> Too short cooking?
>
> Is there another way of doing this? Can I salvage the can I have?

You need to use SWEETENED condensed milk. Evaporated milk is
different.
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/ConMilk.htm
http://www.ochef.com/7.htm
http://tinyurl.com/8rhfv

(I see it's called banana toffee pie in the US)
Is this your recipe?
http://www.take-that.co.uk/forum
Banoffi (bannoffie) pie
·
one packet of biscuit - crushed
·
tin of condendsed milk
·
couple of bananas chopped
·
tub of whipped cream
·
chocolate crumbs or pieces

Firstly you have to crush one packet of biscuits. Then smear butter in
a cake tin and put the biscuit crumbs into the bottom of the cake tin,
pressing down firmly. Then cook the tin of condensed milk for 2 hours,
make sure the tin is closed though!!!

Once it is cooked open the tin and pour the milk over the biscuit
crumbs. Then put whipped cream over the top of it and then the banana
pieces. Lastly add the chocolate crumbs over the top.

Let it sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours.

sf

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:01:17 GMT, Frode Tennebø wrote:

> On Monday 01 August 2005 23:52 zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > Are you using *sweetened* condensed milk? The description doesn't
> > sound like it.

> It doens't say. "Ingredients: pure cow's milk, vitamin D3, stabilizer
> (E339). Milkfat: 8%, Milksolids, not fat: 18%, Total milksolids: 26%."
>
> However, at least one recipe doesn't say sweetened, actually it says
> skimmed (which is only true for the fat, but anyway):
>
> http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm/...D/514121.shtml
> http://tinyurl.com/awhof
>
> Does it matter?

You've already proven that it matters! If it helps any - a lot of us
here learned the hard way that there is a big difference between
evaporated and condensed milk.

http://www.pechsiam.com/data%20sweet...sed%20milk.htm
Various uses:
Sweet and condensed milks are used by the confectionery industry
typically in caramel, toffee and fudge manufacture as well as in
various desserts, ice cream, sauces, cake icings and bakery.

You are making a banana toffee pie, so sweetened condensed milk is
what's needed for the recipe. Now, chuck the evaporated milk - get
yourself what you need and report back with your new results.

Good Luck!

Frode Tennebø

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 01:32 sf wrote:

> You've already proven that it matters! If it helps any - a lot of us
> here learned the hard way that there is a big difference between
> evaporated and condensed milk.

It's confusing when they mix the terminology, especially since I used
"condensed .. evaporated milk". :/

> You are making a banana toffee pie, so sweetened condensed milk is
> what's needed for the recipe. Now, chuck the evaporated milk - get
> yourself what you need and report back with your new results.

I had a hard time finding the one I did here in Norway. But I'll turn
some more stones...

Thanks for the help, folks!

-Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø | email: | Frode@IRC ^
| with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer; |
sf

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:36:04 GMT, Frode Tennebø wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 August 2005 01:32 sf wrote:
>
> > You've already proven that it matters! If it helps any - a lot of us
> > here learned the hard way that there is a big difference between
> > evaporated and condensed milk.

> It's confusing when they mix the terminology, especially since I used
> "condensed .. evaporated milk". :/

I read that recipe and the terminology was confusing to say the very
least.

> > You are making a banana toffee pie, so sweetened condensed milk is
> > what's needed for the recipe. Now, chuck the evaporated milk - get
> > yourself what you need and report back with your new results.

> I had a hard time finding the one I did here in Norway. But I'll turn
> some more stones...

I can't help you with store names, but you can make a facsimile of
sweetened condensed milk at home...
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf416253.tip.html
http://southernfood.about.com/cs/can..._condensed.htm
http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...0/rec0004.html

> Thanks for the help, folks!

You're very welcome.
Jean B.

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:36:04 GMT, Frode Tennebø wrote:
>

>> On Tuesday 02 August 2005 01:32 sf wrote:
>>
>> > You've already proven that it matters! If it helps any - a lot of us
>> > here learned the hard way that there is a big difference between
>> > evaporated and condensed milk.

>> It's confusing when they mix the terminology, especially since I used
>> "condensed .. evaporated milk". :/

> I read that recipe and the terminology was confusing to say the very
> least.
>

>> > You are making a banana toffee pie, so sweetened condensed milk is
>> > what's needed for the recipe. Now, chuck the evaporated milk - get
>> > yourself what you need and report back with your new results.

>> I had a hard time finding the one I did here in Norway. But I'll turn
>> some more stones...
>>

> I can't help you with store names, but you can make a facsimile of
> sweetened condensed milk at home...
> http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf416253.tip.html
> http://southernfood.about.com/cs/can..._condensed.htm
> http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...0/rec0004.html
>

>> Thanks for the help, folks!

> You're very welcome.

I wonder whether those clones would caramelize properly?????
Can one send canned products to Norway?

--
Jean B.

sf

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 09:57:55 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> sf wrote:

<snip>

> >> I had a hard time finding the one I did here in Norway. But I'll turn
> >> some more stones...
> >>

> > I can't help you with store names, but you can make a facsimile of
> > sweetened condensed milk at home...
> > http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf416253.tip.html
> > http://southernfood.about.com/cs/can..._condensed.htm
> > http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...0/rec0004.html
> >

> >> Thanks for the help, folks!

> > You're very welcome.

> I wonder whether those clones would caramelize properly?????

I think they would because they have the necessary sugar. Just do it
the regular way <don't enclose the mixture in anything while you're
doing it>.

http://www.freerecipe.org/Dessert/Candy/Caramels/
http://www.cuisinedumonde.com/creme_caramel.html
http://www.carrieschocolates.com/Rec...ee__recipe.htm

> Can one send canned products to Norway?

I don't see why not.

Frode Tennebø

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 17:44 sf wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 09:57:55 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> > I can't help you with store names, but you can make a facsimile of
>> > sweetened condensed milk at home...
>> > http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf416253.tip.html

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/can..._condensed.htm

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...0/rec0004.html

Thanks!

Now I'll only need to find dry milk....I guess it's as difficult. :/

>> I wonder whether those clones would caramelize properly?????

> I think they would because they have the necessary sugar. Just do it
> the regular way <don't enclose the mixture in anything while you're
> doing it>.

What's the regular way? There is another way?

> http://www.freerecipe.org/Dessert/Candy/Caramels/
> http://www.cuisinedumonde.com/creme_caramel.html
> http://www.carrieschocolates.com/Rec...ee__recipe.htm

I only know of the boil-the-can way, and according to the recipes it's
supposed to become a creamy, toffee-ish goo. The recipes above are for
jaw-breaking caramels, right?

>> Can one send canned products to Norway?

> I don't see why not.

I suppose. But I'm not giving up. When I get the opportunity I'll
look into the "exotic food" stores.

-Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø | email: | Frode@IRC ^
| with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer; |
sf

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:19:01 GMT, Frode Tennebø wrote:

> What's the regular way? There is another way?

They boil the (unopened) can for xx minutes. That isn't what you
tried the first time?
http://theezine.net/recipes/Beverage...nsed-Milk.html
or http://tinyurl.com/96tsq For some reason, I thought that's what
you did. It was probably because you said you cooked it for 2 hours.
Bart D. Hull

Boiling for 3 - 4 hours? for a single can. I don't understand the worry
about a can explosion unless the entire pot is boiled dry otherwise your
working with 212 degrees.

Maybe use a pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time? Would reduce the
amount of evaporation from the boiling as well.Anybody want to try this?

I've made caramel from scratch and it took less than an hour. Also
get to choose real cane sugar and fresh milk instead of whatever
they decided to put in the can.

Hmmm, maybe time for some more carmel apples.....and the leftover
carmel I pour onto sheets to make into cubes. YUM!!

Off to the Guadalupe produce market for some decent apples.....

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:19:01 GMT, Frode Tennebø wrote:
>

>> What's the regular way? There is another way?

> They boil the (unopened) can for xx minutes. That isn't what you
> tried the first time?
> http://theezine.net/recipes/Beverage...nsed-Milk.html
> or http://tinyurl.com/96tsq For some reason, I thought that's what
> you did. It was probably because you said you cooked it for 2 hours.

Frode Tennebø

On Friday 05 August 2005 03:57 sf wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:19:01 GMT, Frode Tennebø wrote:
>
>> What's the regular way? There is another way?

> They boil the (unopened) can for xx minutes. That isn't what you
> tried the first time?

It is. I was just confused with your original reply:

> I think they would because they have the necessary sugar. Just do it
> the regular way <don't enclose the mixture in anything while you're
> doing it>.

...and the links. Now I wonder what the irregular way is.

-Frode