Old 31-01-2012, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick Bread Exchange Recipe?

For my huge Christmas baking last year I made 40 (or more) mini-loaves
of four different quick breads (without any yeast) Carrot cakes. The
keepers are Spiced Pumpkin, Lemon Pucker, and Cranberry Apricot
breads, and the Carrot Cakes.

I want to replace both the Banana and the Pineapple breads because the
Banana is troublesome in that they don't want to set well in the
center before the sides/ends dry too much, and the Pineapple breads
are a waste of time because they're simply tasteless.

Thanks in advancefor suggestions for complete replacements or for
ingredient/baking method changes for the banana and the pineapple (so
that the pineapple flavor intensifies and the bread is more moist).
....PickyPonders

Old 31-01-2012, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 2:07*pm, JeanineAlyse wrote:

In addition, completely different breads to make instead of the banana
and the pineapple ones are very welcome suggestions.
....Picky
Old 31-01-2012, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:01:03 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
wrote:

On Jan 31, 2:07*pm, JeanineAlyse wrote:

In addition, completely different breads to make instead of the banana
and the pineapple ones are very welcome suggestions.
...Picky

Can't help you with banana bread - it's my nemesis, but I have lots of
quick bread recipes - unfortunately I haven't made any of them. Some
are dead easy, but untried - like these.

Applesauce-Raisin Bread

1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg slightly beaten
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325.

Mix all ingredients and stir each time you add an ingredient. Then
pour into a greased pan (best if it's an 8x4 inch pan).

Cook about 1 hour or until done.

Apple Bread
http://www.griswoldia.com/grrecipes.html

3 eggs
1 c. vegetable oil
2 c. grated unpeeled apples
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 c. raisins

Mix ingredients together.

Makes 2 - 9x13 loaf pans.

Bake at 325F for 1 hour.

This is moist and freezes well.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

I'm curious as to why you would post untested recipes? How would you
know it freezes well?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps the original recipe says it freezes well.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 3:42*pm, sf wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:01:03 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse

Can't help you with banana bread - it's my nemesis, but I have lots of
quick bread recipes - unfortunately I haven't made any of them. *Some
are dead easy, but untried - like these....

The apple one is different from my pasts and usuals. I've printed to
try it out twice, with both a sweet apple and a Granny Smith. Thanks!
....Picky
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 3:42*pm, sf wrote:
Apple Bread http://www.griswoldia.com/grrecipes.html
This is moist and freezes well.

Wait, wait, wait! This reminds me of the Hizzoners' one I have made
and loved. You may have guided me to answer, thanks again!
....Picks
Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 5:06*pm, JeanineAlyse wrote:
Wait, wait, wait! * This reminds me of the Hizzoners' one I have made
and loved. *You may have guided me to answer, thanks again!

This one:
Fresh Apple Cake
Here is an old recipe that never goes out of style. This is a moist,
dense cake that is wonderful served by itself or topped with a glaze
or even drenched in rich vanilla ice cream. It is a big kid pleaser
simply because of it's wonderful apple and spice flavors.

Make this cake for your family. It's wonderful for breakfast or with
a cup of coffee for a coffee break or dessert after diner.

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs (beaten)
2 cups plain cake flour
1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups apples - cored but not peeled and diced small
1/2 cup flour for coating the apples
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup coconut flakes (optional)

1. Sift together the cake four, sugar, soda, baking powder, salt and
cinnamon.

2. In your mixer beat together the vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla.
Add the sifted ingredients and mix well.

3. Stir in the apples and pecans. (and coconut if used)

Butter and flour a bunt pan very well and pour in batter.

Bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes.

Dust the top with powdered sugar or glaze with powdered sugar mixed
with a little milk.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Picky wrote:

Thanks in advancefor suggestions for
complete replacements or for
ingredient/baking method changes for
the banana and the pineapple (so that
the pineapple flavor intensifies and the
bread is more moist).

I've never had any problem baking banana bread (I have two favorite
recipes and they turn out perfect every time) but I've never made
straight pineapple bread. I've made Zucchini-Pineapple Bread, which is
good. Zucchini Bread, even without the pineapple, goes over well at our
house, and so does Date-Orange Bread, and Strawberry Jam Bread (a good
one to use at Christmas time) and I also make a Pistachio Bread, using
pistachio pudding and then has a cinnamon-sugar and nut mixture in the
middle and on top and is a pretty green color, so a good one for
Christmas, and is a light tasty bread. There is one you can make with
chocolate chips and maraschino cherries, etc., that is real good (think
it also has mashed banana in it?) and another good one is Prune Bread
(made with baby food, believe it, or not). There are really endless
possibilities.

Judy

Old 01-02-2012, 02:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 6:01*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
Date-Orange Bread, and Strawberry Jam Bread (a good
one to use at Christmas time) and I also make a Pistachio Bread, using
pistachio pudding and then has a cinnamon-sugar and nut mixture in the
middle and on top and is a pretty green color, so a good one for
Christmas, and is a light tasty bread.

Judy, can you share these recipes, please? All three sound like
winners and the more breads I can make, the less cookies I need bother
with. I love making breads, but cookies I find more tedious to both
make and package than I wish.
....Picky

Old 01-02-2012, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:04:16 -0800 (PST), merryb
wrote:

I'm curious as to why you would post untested recipes? How would you
know it freezes well?

1. I posted them so she'd know the apple option exists and what a
typical recipe might look like. I have lots of quick bread recipes
that aren't banana or pineapple, but I haven't tried them either.
2. Apples make cake moist, so they should make quick bread moist too
and therefore they should freeze well. Picky could figure that part
out all by herself.
3. I thought I was eliminating the step of going to the web to see
what I was talking about and make a decision about if she wants to try
an apple quick bread, search for a different recipe or move on to
something else, because she's a grownup and can decide for herself.

You don't sound like a very adventurous cook. You've never tried a
recipe without someone vouching for it first? People aren't exactly
falling all over each other giving her suggestions and you certainly
didn't contribute either.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

In addition, sf and I have shared recipes before and I trust those
recommendations to also know my capabilities. Perhaps your question
of posting untried recipes was innocent, though have you anything to
offer yourself?
....Picky
Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:02:11 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
wrote:

On Jan 31, 3:42*pm, sf wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:01:03 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse

Can't help you with banana bread - it's my nemesis, but I have lots of
quick bread recipes - unfortunately I haven't made any of them. *Some
are dead easy, but untried - like these....

The apple one is different from my pasts and usuals. I've printed to
try it out twice, with both a sweet apple and a Granny Smith. Thanks!
...Picky

You're welcome! I have lots of other (mainly untried) recipes/ideas
that looked good enough to me to save for the future. You have my
email, just whistle.

I was just looking at my recipes and I have one called Yogurt Banana
Bread that I bet would not be dry. It calls for 1/2 plain yogurt and
1/2 a cup of butter.... you know I'd nix the butter and go for 1cup
full fat yogurt. Are you interested?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:14:15 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I've made enough apple cakes that call for diced or
chunked apple to know that style is not a personal favorite of mine,
which is why I liked the idea of shredding the apple or using
applesauce (which I've used in apple cake and have been pleased with
the result).

Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 8:34*pm, sf wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:02:11 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
I was just looking at my recipes and I have one called Yogurt Banana
Bread that I bet would not be dry. *It calls for 1/2 plain yogurt and
1/2 a cup of butter.... you know I'd nix the butter and go for 1cup
full fat yogurt. *Are you interested?

Thanks, I'll pop into your mail box when I've decided, but for now I'm
thinking to get away from a banana bread entirely. I've never been a
fan and have made it just for others that may be. I'm thinking hard
about a trying out the cherry pie filling bread to replace the crushed
pineapple, with lots of red food coloring in it for "the season" and
because we do not make much else with cherries at all. I've never
heard of a cherry bread before, but I have a can or two in the pantry
to give it a try by next week.

Will post the outcome, whether really good or not so. I am now away
from my USMC "testers" and the neighbor family next door moved, so
there will be just myself and a friend to test, and she's a sweets
freak. Some of my earlier Marines were very faithful, critical
testers, and I do miss them. Those "boys" transferred out even before
I retired, but they were with me for testing prior to the 2011 gift
boxes. Thankful for their service, both to me and to our country!
....Picks