Old 22-06-2011, 12:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner 2011-06-20

"Southwestern gumbo": Sage-garlic sausage, chicken thighs, onion, red
bell pepper, jalapeño, celery, and cactus. I only used one jalapeño,
but it was surprisingly spicy.

Stuffed broccoli leaves: broccoli leaves stuffed with a mixture of
fresh corn, shallots, cumin, and coriander. I was going for something
akin to stuffed grape leaves but with a Southwestern flavor; it worked
out pretty well.

We drank beer with the meal.

Bob

Old 22-06-2011, 01:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 04:22:07 -0700, Bob Terwilliger
wrote:

"Southwestern gumbo": Sage-garlic sausage, chicken thighs, onion, red
bell pepper, jalapeño, celery, and cactus. I only used one jalapeño,
but it was surprisingly spicy.

Stuffed broccoli leaves: broccoli leaves stuffed with a mixture of
fresh corn, shallots, cumin, and coriander. I was going for something
akin to stuffed grape leaves but with a Southwestern flavor; it worked
out pretty well.

We drank beer with the meal.

That sounds delicious! We had oven fried panko coated chicken thighs
(boneless, skinless and pounded flat), served with sliced tomatoes and
a salad of arugula and microgreens. We drank a Malbec (from Trader
Joe's) with it.

Old 22-06-2011, 06:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2011 6:22 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
"Southwestern gumbo": Sage-garlic sausage, chicken thighs, onion, red
bell pepper, jalapeño, celery, and cactus. I only used one jalapeño,
but it was surprisingly spicy.

Stuffed broccoli leaves: broccoli leaves stuffed with a mixture of
fresh corn, shallots, cumin, and coriander. I was going for something
akin to stuffed grape leaves but with a Southwestern flavor; it worked
out pretty well.

We drank beer with the meal.

Bob

That sounds good, I have never tried cactus in gumbo before. One
stuffing that I like, is poblanos that have been charred, peeled and
chopped, mixed with a little cream cheese and a sprinkle of salt. It
melts, which you might not want stuffed in broccoli leaves.

Becca
Old 22-06-2011, 06:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:54:59 -0500, Andy wrote:

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

"Southwestern gumbo": Sage-garlic sausage, chicken thighs, onion, red
bell pepper, jalapeño, celery, and cactus. I only used one jalapeño,
but it was surprisingly spicy.

Stuffed broccoli leaves: broccoli leaves stuffed with a mixture of
fresh corn, shallots, cumin, and coriander. I was going for something
akin to stuffed grape leaves but with a Southwestern flavor; it worked
out pretty well.

We drank beer with the meal.

I've never seen broccoli leaves. Though they no doubt exist! Something
never seen on the farm.

Beer with breakfast? Will try! Bud Light and something!

haven't you posted about having bud light with your breakfast about eight
million times?

blake
Old 23-06-2011, 01:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

I have never tried cactus in gumbo before.

It works as a "substitute" for okra. Like okra, it gives off a kind of
mucilage which serves to thicken the gumbo. It's got a nice taste of its
own, too, which I compare to green beans with a splash of lemon.

We already had the garlic-sage sausage in the refrigerator; if I were
setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably use homemade
chorizo in its place.

Bob

Old 23-06-2011, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:10:22 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

Becca wrote:

I have never tried cactus in gumbo before.

It works as a "substitute" for okra. Like okra, it gives off a kind of
mucilage which serves to thicken the gumbo. It's got a nice taste of its
own, too, which I compare to green beans with a splash of lemon.

We already had the garlic-sage sausage in the refrigerator; if I were
setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably use homemade
chorizo in its place.

Bob

I bought some fresh nopales tonight. Thanks for the great idea.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Old 23-06-2011, 05:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I were
setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably use homemade
chorizo in its place.

Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

Old 23-06-2011, 05:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I were setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably
use homemade
chorizo in its place.

Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still got
about half a pound of it in the freezer.

Bob

Old 23-06-2011, 06:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:51:22 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

sf wrote:

I were setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably
use homemade
chorizo in its place.

Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still got
about half a pound of it in the freezer.

How did you like the chorizo? Have you used it in other recipes, like
my favorite... chorizo con huevos?

Old 23-06-2011, 07:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I were setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably
use homemade chorizo in its place.

Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still
got
about half a pound of it in the freezer.

How did you like the chorizo? Have you used it in other recipes, like
my favorite... chorizo con huevos?

I liked it well enough, though it's missing the richness which would be
there if I'd made it with more fat. I've used the chorizo in several
applications, including with eggs. I initially made it in February to cook
in so-called "Queso Fundido Burgers," and posted about it in a thread
entitled, "Chorizo!" The recipe I used appears in that thread as well.

Bob

Old 23-06-2011, 08:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:06:41 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

sf wrote:

I were setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably
use homemade chorizo in its place.

Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still
got
about half a pound of it in the freezer.

How did you like the chorizo? Have you used it in other recipes, like
my favorite... chorizo con huevos?

I liked it well enough, though it's missing the richness which would be
there if I'd made it with more fat. I've used the chorizo in several
applications, including with eggs. I initially made it in February to cook
in so-called "Queso Fundido Burgers," and posted about it in a thread
entitled, "Chorizo!" The recipe I used appears in that thread as well.

Oh, okay, thanks for the observation, but I'm not searching any thread
for a recipe... especially with this new google interface, which I
just saw yesterday and didn't like.

In any case, I've seen lots of (Mexican) chorizo recipes that I like
and some that I've even made.

Old 23-06-2011, 08:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 1:06*am, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:
sf wrote:
I were setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably
use homemade chorizo in its place.

Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still
got
about half a pound of it in the freezer.

How did you like the chorizo? *Have you used it in other recipes, like
my favorite... chorizo con huevos?

I liked it well enough, though it's missing the richness which would be
there if I'd made it with more fat. I've used the chorizo in several
applications, including with eggs. I initially made it in February to cook
in so-called "Queso Fundido Burgers," and posted about it in a thread
entitled, "Chorizo!" The recipe I used appears in that thread as well.

I had to read that twice......Mexican slang for "asshole" is
"fundillo".
Old 23-06-2011, 10:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
eb.com...
Becca wrote:

I have never tried cactus in gumbo before.

It works as a "substitute" for okra. Like okra, it gives off a kind of
mucilage which serves to thicken the gumbo. It's got a nice taste of its
own, too, which I compare to green beans with a splash of lemon.

I don't know about different kinds of cactus, but when I lived in Malta, we
used to get 'prickly pears' which came from the cactus tree/bush. The
vendor would slice the skin and turn the fruit out of its spiky case
directly into our bowl. They were lovely cold.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/