Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner 2011-06-20

"Southwestern gumbo": Sage-garlic sausage, chicken thighs, onion, red
bell pepper, jalapeño, celery, and cactus. I only used one jalapeño,
but it was surprisingly spicy.

Stuffed broccoli leaves: broccoli leaves stuffed with a mixture of
fresh corn, shallots, cumin, and coriander. I was going for something
akin to stuffed grape leaves but with a Southwestern flavor; it worked
out pretty well.

We drank beer with the meal.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 04:22:07 -0700, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> "Southwestern gumbo": Sage-garlic sausage, chicken thighs, onion, red
> bell pepper, jalapeño, celery, and cactus. I only used one jalapeño,
> but it was surprisingly spicy.
>
> Stuffed broccoli leaves: broccoli leaves stuffed with a mixture of
> fresh corn, shallots, cumin, and coriander. I was going for something
> akin to stuffed grape leaves but with a Southwestern flavor; it worked
> out pretty well.
>
> We drank beer with the meal.

That sounds delicious! We had oven fried panko coated chicken thighs
(boneless, skinless and pounded flat), served with sliced tomatoes and
a salad of arugula and microgreens. We drank a Malbec (from Trader
Joe's) with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2011 6:22 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> "Southwestern gumbo": Sage-garlic sausage, chicken thighs, onion, red
> bell pepper, jalapeño, celery, and cactus. I only used one jalapeño,
> but it was surprisingly spicy.
>
> Stuffed broccoli leaves: broccoli leaves stuffed with a mixture of
> fresh corn, shallots, cumin, and coriander. I was going for something
> akin to stuffed grape leaves but with a Southwestern flavor; it worked
> out pretty well.
>
> We drank beer with the meal.
>

> Bob

That sounds good, I have never tried cactus in gumbo before. One
stuffing that I like, is poblanos that have been charred, peeled and
chopped, mixed with a little cream cheese and a sprinkle of salt. It
melts, which you might not want stuffed in broccoli leaves.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:54:59 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>
>> "Southwestern gumbo": Sage-garlic sausage, chicken thighs, onion, red
>> bell pepper, jalapeño, celery, and cactus. I only used one jalapeño,
>> but it was surprisingly spicy.
>>
>> Stuffed broccoli leaves: broccoli leaves stuffed with a mixture of
>> fresh corn, shallots, cumin, and coriander. I was going for something
>> akin to stuffed grape leaves but with a Southwestern flavor; it worked
>> out pretty well.
>>
>> We drank beer with the meal.

> I've never seen broccoli leaves. Though they no doubt exist! Something
> never seen on the farm.
>
> Beer with breakfast? Will try! Bud Light and something!

haven't you posted about having bud light with your breakfast about eight
million times?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> I have never tried cactus in gumbo before.

It works as a "substitute" for okra. Like okra, it gives off a kind of
mucilage which serves to thicken the gumbo. It's got a nice taste of its
own, too, which I compare to green beans with a splash of lemon.

We already had the garlic-sage sausage in the refrigerator; if I were
setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably use homemade
chorizo in its place.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:10:22 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Becca wrote:
>
>> I have never tried cactus in gumbo before.

>It works as a "substitute" for okra. Like okra, it gives off a kind of
>mucilage which serves to thicken the gumbo. It's got a nice taste of its
>own, too, which I compare to green beans with a splash of lemon.
>
>We already had the garlic-sage sausage in the refrigerator; if I were
>setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably use homemade
>chorizo in its place.
>
>Bob

I bought some fresh nopales tonight. Thanks for the great idea.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:10:22 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> I were
> setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably use homemade
> chorizo in its place.

Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> I were setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably
>> use homemade
>> chorizo in its place.

> Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still got
about half a pound of it in the freezer.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:51:22 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> I were setting about to make a "Southwestern gumbo" again I'd probably
> >> use homemade
> >> chorizo in its place.

> > Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

> Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
> chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still got
> about half a pound of it in the freezer.

How did you like the chorizo? Have you used it in other recipes, like
my favorite... chorizo con huevos?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> > Would that be Mexican or Spanish style chorizo?

>> Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
>> chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still
>> got
>> about half a pound of it in the freezer.
>>

> How did you like the chorizo? Have you used it in other recipes, like
> my favorite... chorizo con huevos?

I liked it well enough, though it's missing the richness which would be
there if I'd made it with more fat. I've used the chorizo in several
applications, including with eggs. I initially made it in February to cook
in so-called "Queso Fundido Burgers," and posted about it in a thread
entitled, "Chorizo!" The recipe I used appears in that thread as well.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:06:41 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> >> Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
> >> chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still
> >> got
> >> about half a pound of it in the freezer.
> >>

> > How did you like the chorizo? Have you used it in other recipes, like
> > my favorite... chorizo con huevos?

> I liked it well enough, though it's missing the richness which would be
> there if I'd made it with more fat. I've used the chorizo in several
> applications, including with eggs. I initially made it in February to cook
> in so-called "Queso Fundido Burgers," and posted about it in a thread
> entitled, "Chorizo!" The recipe I used appears in that thread as well.

Oh, okay, thanks for the observation, but I'm not searching any thread
for a recipe... especially with this new google interface, which I
just saw yesterday and didn't like.

In any case, I've seen lots of (Mexican) chorizo recipes that I like
and some that I've even made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 1:06*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:

> >> Mexican. Arri posted what was supposed to be Rick Bayless's recipe for
> >> chorizo some time ago, and I made a batch earlier this year. I've still
> >> got
> >> about half a pound of it in the freezer.

> > How did you like the chorizo? *Have you used it in other recipes, like
> > my favorite... chorizo con huevos?

> I liked it well enough, though it's missing the richness which would be
> there if I'd made it with more fat. I've used the chorizo in several
> applications, including with eggs. I initially made it in February to cook
> in so-called "Queso Fundido Burgers," and posted about it in a thread
> entitled, "Chorizo!" The recipe I used appears in that thread as well.

I had to read that twice......Mexican slang for "asshole" is
"fundillo".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Becca wrote:
>
>> I have never tried cactus in gumbo before.

> It works as a "substitute" for okra. Like okra, it gives off a kind of
> mucilage which serves to thicken the gumbo. It's got a nice taste of its
> own, too, which I compare to green beans with a splash of lemon.

I don't know about different kinds of cactus, but when I lived in Malta, we
used to get 'prickly pears' which came from the cactus tree/bush. The
vendor would slice the skin and turn the fruit out of its spiky case
directly into our bowl. They were lovely cold.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/