Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default Dinner 2011-06-20

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Becca wrote:
>
>> I have never tried cactus in gumbo before.

> It works as a "substitute" for okra. Like okra, it gives off a kind of
> mucilage which serves to thicken the gumbo. It's got a nice taste of its
> own, too, which I compare to green beans with a splash of lemon.

I don't know about different kinds of cactus, but when I lived in Malta, we
used to get 'prickly pears' which came from the cactus tree/bush. The
vendor would slice the skin and turn the fruit out of its spiky case
directly into our bowl. They were lovely cold.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/