Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz Sqwertz is offline

Default Pork Belly Pasts (was: Fresh Side Pork)

On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:48:44 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote
>
>> I've got 16 pictures of belly, but not time to post them properly.
>> Some cured, some smoked, some both. And some sashimi (?). Remind
>> me tomorrow if you're still interested. I'm going to bed after a
>> chocolate covered cherry (or three).

> Heheh Interested in the sashimi! I had a dish oin Pohang Korea at a Russian
> restraunt. Utterly simple yet divine.

Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.
http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/103eibc.jpg
(These were fantastic, so tender and juicy)

These are skin-off whole slab sections from the Asian market:
http://i43.tinypic.com/51okgl.jpg

Hmm, I guess they're not skin off. See that...uh [blushing] thing
in the very bottom right?
http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/swvck3.jpg (for Sheldon)

Smoked:
http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

Smoked and sliced:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

Smoked and plated with mountain gorgonzola mashed potatoes and
asparagus:
http://i44.tinypic.com/j8mhq1.jpg

And the picture you've been waiting for: (with apologies)
http://i39.tinypic.com/21jby4i.jpg

I just searched for "belly" and didn't notice it was salmon belly
and not pork belly. It's still some awesome-looking (and tasting)
salmon.

-sw