Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz Sqwertz is offline

Default Pork Belly Pasts

On Sun, 9 May 2010 14:12:47 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote
>
>> Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
>> cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

> Preaching to the choir this time! Am passing recipes in 'The Cesspool'
> thread (Portabelos, Japanese other things, how to teach cooking).

That wasn't aimed at you. That was for all my detractors that say I
never post anything food-related when that's far from the truth.
Just one of my posts top a whole month's worth of posts from some of
them.

"Cesspool thread"? I probably skipped it with a subject like that.

>> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
>> sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
>> "Karubi Ribs"?
>> http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

> No clue unless Google tells us. They do remind me of a dish I had once long
> ago in Sint Thomas (dutch side).

It's on Wiki as: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakiniku
But refers to beef short ribs (Galbi/Kalbi) in Japan. These are the
almost the equivalent of pork short ribs, but not from the "chuck"
of the pig.

"The word karubi (Japanese pronunciation of galbi), when used in
Japan, solely refers to beef short rib, and is not used to refer to
similar meat in other animals as they are in Korea, such as Dwaeji
galbi (돼지갈비 pork galbi) or Dakk galbi (*갈비 chicken galbi)."

(Note for Cathy: requires Korean and Japanese character sets to be
installed on your computer otherwise you see garbage)

>> Smoked:
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

> AWESOME! Any special rub you used? I have several ideas there. Last time
> we did a hunk of pork, we went asiatic fusion with a touch of Caribbean
> curry mix added.

I don't remember exactly what I used on these, but here is a picture
of them rubbed. It was probably my generic BBQ rub (garlic, onion,
slight sugar, salt, pepper:

http://i39.tinypic.com/op7pzp.jpg
(Pictured on top of the trash can in my driveway, for Andy)

> I'll have to fix my ability to post pics eventually and show some of my
> dishes.

If you need a binary server to post to ABF and such, just let me
know. I have a few to share.

-sw