Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh pork belly - now what??

OK, on a whim I bought about 0.7 lbs of fresh pork belly ($4.69/lb). My
quandary now is I haven't a clue what to do with it! Any suggestions?
Heheh, this should be fun once I figure out what to do with it.

Sky

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
================================

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2016 3:37 PM, Sky wrote:
> OK, on a whim I bought about 0.7 lbs of fresh pork belly ($4.69/lb). My
> quandary now is I haven't a clue what to do with it! Any suggestions?
> Heheh, this should be fun once I figure out what to do with it.
>
> Sky
>
> ================================
> Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
> Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
> ================================

Season it.

Braise it.

Frig it.

Slice it.

Fry it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2016 3:37 PM, Sky wrote:
> OK, on a whim I bought about 0.7 lbs of fresh pork belly ($4.69/lb). My
> quandary now is I haven't a clue what to do with it! Any suggestions?
> Heheh, this should be fun once I figure out what to do with it.
>
> Sky
>
> ================================
> Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
> Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
> ================================

I had a confit of pork belly in a French restaurant once and it was
superb. They had, I think, slow cooked it submerged in pork fat
(analogous to duck confit) rendering even more fat from the meat, then
sliced it and seared it before serving.
I have tried to emulate this but *all* of the pork belly that I have
found in supermarkets is salted.
You might want to try this:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...n-apples-cider

http://tiny.cc/9jd7gy

Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-23 5:37 PM, Sky wrote:
> OK, on a whim I bought about 0.7 lbs of fresh pork belly ($4.69/lb). My
> quandary now is I haven't a clue what to do with it! Any suggestions?
> Heheh, this should be fun once I figure out what to do with it.

Sorry, but I had a gall bladder issue for much of my life and fat never
seemed to agree with me. I have seen lots of cooking show episodes
featuring pork and it always looks like a huge chunk of fat. I am
puzzled that they rave about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pork belly is great braised in cider (the alcoholic variety). Plenty of good recipes available out there for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pork belly confit... That's a great idea. I will have to try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 23:55:54 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 23-Nov-2016, Sky > wrote:
>
>> OK, on a whim I bought about 0.7 lbs of fresh pork belly ($4.69/lb). My
>> quandary now is I haven't a clue what to do with it! Any suggestions?
>> Heheh, this should be fun once I figure out what to do with it.
>>
>> Sky

>Koko recently posted a Crispy Pork Taco in a Plantain Tortilla recipe that
>sounded pretty darn tasty. I see no reason it wouldn't also be tasty in a
>corn tortilla as well.
>Crispy pork taco:
>http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-tortilla.html
>
>Plantain tortillas:
>http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...tortillas.html

Thanks l not -l
Here's another idea
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...soy-sauce.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/qe4agck

and
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ork-belly.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/hbfa4ug

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.politics

On 11/23/2016 5:22 PM, Jebus Jones wrote:
> Pork belly confit...

Lose some weight then, rabbit-killer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.politics

On 11/23/2016 5:20 PM, Jebus Jones wrote:
> (the alcoholic variety)

= you average Auztard...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2016 5:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I had a gall bladder issue for much of my life

Thanks for sharing ....NOT!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2016 5:58 AM, Janet wrote:
> If I'm cooking belly pork at home I use