Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Pork Belly Pasts (was: Fresh Side Pork)

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
> cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Funny. ;-)

> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
> sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
> "Karubi Ribs"?
> http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No idea, but they look tasty. I presume those come from MT?
I love to purchase their pig legs and let them split them into hocks and
trotters for me. I need to get more, smoke the hocks and make lentils
or split peas with them. Heaven knows they are cheap enough.

> Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.
> http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpg
> http://i39.tinypic.com/103eibc.jpg
> (These were fantastic, so tender and juicy)

They look like it. :-)

> These are skin-off whole slab sections from the Asian market:
> http://i43.tinypic.com/51okgl.jpg

I need to try more of their pork products. I've never
been really big on pork, but it is less expensive than beef
and I can make it tasty now that I've a better stocked spice
cabinet due to my sausage making spree. IMHO pork really
benefits from lots of garlic.

> Hmm, I guess they're not skin off. See that...uh [blushing] thing
> in the very bottom right?
> http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpg
> http://i40.tinypic.com/swvck3.jpg (for Sheldon)

Hope you did something useful with that. <g>

> Smoked:
> http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg
>
> Smoked and sliced:
> http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

Oh wow. What'd you use to smoke it?

> Smoked and plated with mountain gorgonzola mashed potatoes and
> asparagus:
> http://i44.tinypic.com/j8mhq1.jpg

Nice. ;-d Where's mine?

> And the picture you've been waiting for: (with apologies)
> http://i39.tinypic.com/21jby4i.jpg
>
> I just searched for "belly" and didn't notice it was salmon belly
> and not pork belly. It's still some awesome-looking (and tasting)
> salmon.
>
> -sw

Ah sashimi! Where's the rice? :-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine