Old 17-12-2009, 01:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do I warm cooked dungeness crab?

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 04:56:52 -0800, Kent wrote:

At this point, you can wrap exposed body meat with foil, and warm gently
serving temp. We do it on a low temp gas grill.

I would ask what the point is in using a grill if it's wrapped in
foil, but some of us know better than to ask Kent logical
questions.

-sw

You wrap foil at the body end of the leg only where body meat is sticking
out. The leg and claw go onto the grate to directly to heat what's inside
and to stiffen the remaining shell a bit.

Kent

Old 17-12-2009, 02:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 3:16*am, Sqwertz wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:55:44 -0800, sf wrote:
Oh, stop yer killing me. *What's a good price for dungeness now?

Here in Austin it's a mere $10/lb.

Which is why I haven't had it for close to a decade.

-sw

Ya know, even at that price I'd have it once a year. Even knowing that
it's been frozen too.

Okay, I'd get it once a year hoping the batch I got didn't suck from
the freezing process.

Two years ago we made the mistake (false advertising) of buying thawed
dungeness crab for company and it was, not so good.
It can be decent, but where we live we can be picky about that.

Fresh dungeness, second to fresh wild Pacific salmon for my favorites
from the ocean.

Ever grilled a freshly caught salmon? Mmmmmm.

Old 17-12-2009, 02:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 16, 8:20*am, notbob wrote:

great buys on produce. *Strawberries at San Gregorio,

The same old guy is still there. I assume you're talking about the
farm about a mile inland from Hwy1 up 82.

Ollalie berries
a few miles south of there, artichokes everywhere.... * Damn, I need to
take a trip this Summer! *

Yes, yes you do! Gimme a shout, you bring the produce and I'll grill
or bbq us up something.

Old 18-12-2009, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message
..

Rinse off the cooked crab. Twist and pull off each claw.
With the tip of the knife, remove/discard the small triangular plate
from the body, and pull off and discard the entire back shell
(the carapace). Remove/discard any gills, spongey parts, bladders,
and small paddles. Rinse and/or pull the guts out of the
crab and discard.

This description is exactly why I don't like whole crabs. I will sit and
pick them at crab feasts (I live in Maryland, so they're going on most of
the summer) but I won't eat them. I only like claws.

Old 18-12-2009, 04:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

"Steve Pope" wrote in message

Rinse off the cooked crab. Twist and pull off each claw.
With the tip of the knife, remove/discard the small triangular plate
from the body, and pull off and discard the entire back shell
(the carapace). Remove/discard any gills, spongey parts, bladders,
and small paddles. Rinse and/or pull the guts out of the
crab and discard.

This description is exactly why I don't like whole crabs. I will sit and
pick them at crab feasts (I live in Maryland, so they're going on most of
the summer) but I won't eat them. I only like claws.

The above was with respect to Dungeness. They are different
from Maryland crabs, and actually the Dungeness body meat
is better (I think) than the claw meat.

Steve

Old 18-12-2009, 07:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 7:24*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
Cheryl wrote:

The above was with respect to Dungeness. *They are different
from Maryland crabs,

Just a tad. Kinda like the difference between pot roast and a good
ribeye.

Both are good, but to different degrees.
Old 21-12-2009, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

When we bother reheating the Dungeness my husband cooks, we use a
large pot with a vegetable steamer and steam the crab pieces until
they're warm enough to eat. Lately, though, he's been happy with
refrigerated crab. When I first met him over 20 years ago he couldn't
eat crab without dipping it in butter.

We've been picking up live crab from 99 Ranch Market on Willow Pass in
Concord. My husband cooks it outdoors in a giant canning kettle using
Penzey's Shrimp and Crab Boil. We do NOT salt the water. The last
batch of crab we picked up (20 in all) was purchased for $2.99 a pound
at 99 Ranch Market.

Hmmm...that sounds like it would be a terrific Christmas Eve dinner. I
need to send him out for fresh crab on Thursday. Friday's dinner will
be pheasant on the smoker, "marinated" overnight in Texas Wild BBQ rub
and then covered in bacon and smoked. According to one of my
husband's friends, it's the best pheasant he's ever had.

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:21:21 -0800 (PST), Manda Ruby

I just bought some cooked dungeness crab. How do I warm/heat them?

Old 21-12-2009, 01:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 15:59:34 -0800, Linda
wrote:

The last
batch of crab we picked up (20 in all) was purchased for $2.99 a pound
at 99 Ranch Market.

YAY! That's my price point. I'll take a look at Ranch 99 over here
in Daly City.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 23-12-2009, 12:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Manda Ruby wrote:

I just bought some cooked dungeness crab. How do I warm/heat them?

Cold crab is great with a mustard-cream sauce. I grew up in South
Florida, and this was the preferred way to eat Stone Crabs. It works
for Dungeness, too. Here's the recipe:

http://www.post-gazette.com/food/200...tonecraba4.asp

Alton Brown recommends steaming as the preferred way to reheat
pre-cooked crab, and claims that baking is likely to dry out the meat.
I've done it both ways, with good results.

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season7/Crab/Crabs.htm

--
Julian Vrieslander