Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dungeness Crab - fresh in season - live vs supermarket cooked

After our spectacular steamed live Dungeness Crabs yesterday, we
decided to make crab newburg today. We needed more crab. I went to our
local Prophylactic Emporium["SAFEWAY"] where crabs were on sale for
$2.99/lb. They were, as usua,l precooked.

The difference between steaming live crab in the home versus the
supermarket precooked crab wasn't like night and day. It was like
summer versus winter.

If you're anywhere near local Dungeness Crab search out your local
Chinese fish market, or 99 Ranch, and get live crabs. You can numb it
in the freezer before it hits the steam or the simmering pot.

About steaming: I bought a large 30 CM fish steamer, a double decker,
at 99 Ranch for less than $25 several years ago. Something similar at
William Sonoma would cost 4X that much. It's worth it for the
occasional seasonal crab, and of course lobster. It's also good for
dim sum.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 6:32*pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *kent > wrote:
> > After our spectacular steamed live Dungeness Crabs yesterday, we
> > decided to make crab newburg today. We needed more crab. I went to our
> > local Prophylactic Emporium["SAFEWAY"] where crabs were on sale for
> > $2.99/lb. They were, as usua,l precooked.

> > The difference between steaming *live crab in the home versus the
> > supermarket precooked crab wasn't like night and day. It was like
> > summer versus winter.

> > If you're anywhere near local Dungeness Crab search out your local
> > Chinese fish market, or 99 Ranch, and get live crabs. You can numb it
> > in the freezer before it hits the steam or the simmering pot.

> > About steaming: I bought a large 30 CM fish steamer, a double decker,
> > at 99 Ranch for less than $25 several years ago. Something similar at
> > William Sonoma would cost 4X that much. It's worth it for the
> > occasional seasonal crab, and of course lobster. It's also good for
> > dim sum.

> > Kent

> I agree. *Central Market here (western WA) sells both live and precooked
> Dungeness crabs. *We keep it in the fridge until just before it goes
> into the pot. *The last one we cooked was particularly feisty.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me- Hide quoted text -

Try steaming. You can get a bamboo steamer for a reasonable price at
most Chinese hardware stores. I bought a good sized metal steamer at
99 Ranch for about $25. The steamed crab is signifcantly better than
crab in the pot.

I didn't think of this until now. Steaming shrimp might make a
substantial difference in the taste compared to boiling.

Kent

Kent
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 5, 6:32*pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *kent > wrote:
> > After our spectacular steamed live Dungeness Crabs yesterday, we
> > decided to make crab newburg today. We needed more crab. I went to our
> > local Prophylactic Emporium["SAFEWAY"] where crabs were on sale for
> > $2.99/lb. They were, as usua,l precooked.

> > The difference between steaming *live crab in the home versus the
> > supermarket precooked crab wasn't like night and day. It was like
> > summer versus winter.

> > If you're anywhere near local Dungeness Crab search out your local
> > Chinese fish market, or 99 Ranch, and get live crabs. You can numb it
> > in the freezer before it hits the steam or the simmering pot.

> > About steaming: I bought a large 30 CM fish steamer, a double decker,
> > at 99 Ranch for less than $25 several years ago. Something similar at
> > William Sonoma would cost 4X that much. It's worth it for the
> > occasional seasonal crab, and of course lobster. It's also good for
> > dim sum.

> > Kent

> I agree. *Central Market here (western WA) sells both live and precooked
> Dungeness crabs. *We keep it in the fridge until just before it goes
> into the pot. *The last one we cooked was particularly feisty.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me- Hide quoted text -

What's the longest you've kept live crab in the frig? How many hours?
I wonder what would happen if you left them overnight, though a slow
death isn't too cool.

As a humane gesture, probably more for me than the crab, I have
placed uniquely feisty crab in the freezer a few minutes before
plunging them into the steam or water.

Have any just freezed the live crab overnight and cooked the next day?

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:59:10 -0800 (PST), kent >
wrote:

> As a humane gesture, probably more for me than the crab, I have
> placed uniquely feisty crab in the freezer a few minutes before
> plunging them into the steam or water.
>
> Have any just freezed the live crab overnight and cooked the next day?

Not me. I just plunge them into the hot tub and slam on the lid.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 6, 12:59 pm, kent > wrote:

> As a humane gesture, probably more for me than the crab, I have
> placed uniquely feisty crab in the freezer a few minutes before
> plunging them into the steam or water.
>
> Have any just freezed the live crab overnight and cooked the next day?

No. As I've posted previously a few years ago, a lot of people in the
PNW and SE AK clean Dungeness before boiling or steaming them. That
entails taking off the top shell and breaking them in half (which
kills them, I assume). Then you pull out the gills and guts, give
them a quick rinse and drop them in the cooking pot. Nothing left to
do but pick 'em when cooked (about 11 minutes later). -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kent" wrote in message

On Dec 5, 6:32 pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> kent > wrote:
> > After our spectacular steamed live Dungeness Crabs yesterday, we
> > decided to make crab newburg today. We needed more crab. I went to our
> > local Prophylactic Emporium["SAFEWAY"] where crabs were on sale for
> > $2.99/lb. They were, as usua,l precooked.

> > The difference between steaming live crab in the home versus the
> > supermarket precooked crab wasn't like night and day. It was like
> > summer versus winter.

> > If you're anywhere near local Dungeness Crab search out your local
> > Chinese fish market, or 99 Ranch, and get live crabs. You can numb it
> > in the freezer before it hits the steam or the simmering pot.

> > About steaming: I bought a large 30 CM fish steamer, a double decker,
> > at 99 Ranch for less than $25 several years ago. Something similar at
> > William Sonoma would cost 4X that much. It's worth it for the
> > occasional seasonal crab, and of course lobster. It's also good for
> > dim sum.

> > Kent

> I agree. Central Market here (western WA) sells both live and precooked
> Dungeness crabs. We keep it in the fridge until just before it goes
> into the pot. The last one we cooked was particularly feisty.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me- Hide quoted text -

Try steaming. You can get a bamboo steamer for a reasonable price at
most Chinese hardware stores. I bought a good sized metal steamer at
99 Ranch for about $25. The steamed crab is signifcantly better than
crab in the pot.

I didn't think of this until now. Steaming shrimp might make a
substantial difference in the taste compared to boiling.

Kent

Kent

At this time of the year, I can indulge my passion for cheap, tasty, fresh
dungeness crab, steamed in beer after I have carefully covered every square
inch of the crabs with Old Bay Seasoning (Costco Business warehouse carries
a very large plastic container of it). Delish! Accompanied by fries
sprinkled with Old Bay, and with a lemon aioli.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 2:07*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Dec 6, 12:59 pm, kent > wrote:
>
> > As a humane gesture, probably more for me than the crab, *I have
> > placed uniquely feisty crab in the freezer a few minutes before
> > plunging them into the steam or water.

> > Have any just freezed the live crab overnight and cooked the next day?

> No. *As I've posted previously a few years ago, a lot of people in the
> PNW and SE AK clean Dungeness before boiling or steaming them. *That
> entails taking off the top shell and breaking them in half (which
> kills them, I assume). *Then you pull out the gills and guts, give
> them a quick rinse and drop them in the cooking pot. *Nothing left to
> do but pick 'em when cooked (about 11 minutes later). * *-aem

If you butcher the crab first you lose the very tasty crab liver. I
haven't tried butchering live crab. I suspect cleaning off all the
body parts would be somewhat more difficult.

Kent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 12:53:22 -0800 (PST), kent wrote:

> On Dec 5, 6:32*pm, Cindy Fuller >
> wrote:
>>
>> I agree. *Central Market here (western WA) sells both live and precooked
>> Dungeness crabs. *We keep it in the fridge until just before it goes
>> into the pot. *The last one we cooked was particularly feisty.
>>
>> Cindy
>>
>> --
>> C.J. Fuller
>>
>> Delete the obvious to email me- Hide quoted text -

> Try steaming. You can get a bamboo steamer for a reasonable price at
> most Chinese hardware stores. I bought a good sized metal steamer at
> 99 Ranch for about $25. The steamed crab is signifcantly better than
> crab in the pot.
>
> I didn't think of this until now. Steaming shrimp might make a
> substantial difference in the taste compared to boiling.
>
> Kent

i think the difference between boiling and steaming shrimp is less
significant than for crabs since shrimp have fewer spaces for the water to
creep in. it's a pretty common method for shrimp, though.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kent > wrote:

>If you butcher the crab first you lose the very tasty crab liver. I
>haven't tried butchering live crab. I suspect cleaning off all the
>body parts would be somewhat more difficult.

The Sunset Seafood Cookbook describes how to do it. You kill it
first with a blow to the neck, using the blunt edge of your cleaver.
You do not remove the top shell from a still-living crab.

It's only really necessary for dishes like stir-fried crab legs.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> So, no mention of the blow-to-the-neck technique.

Where is the neck on a crab?

--
Julian Vrieslander

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:10:01 -0800, Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> In article >,
> (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
>> So, no mention of the blow-to-the-neck technique.

> Where is the neck on a crab?

right below its head.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 06:31:17 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

> Julian Vrieslander > wrote:
>
>> (Steve Pope) wrote:

>>> So, no mention of the blow-to-the-neck technique.

>>Where is the neck on a crab?

> It must have a spinal nerve connecting its head to its body.
> That would be the target, wherever it is...

It's right next to the thorax under the carapace.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:26:34 -0800, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

> As for Dungeness crabs, Cindy and I don't bother with any ritual
> executions - we just rassle them into the pot.

That's the only way to do it.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:26:34 -0800, Julian Vrieslander
> > wrote:
>
> > As for Dungeness crabs, Cindy and I don't bother with any ritual
> > executions - we just rassle them into the pot.

> That's the only way to do it.

The last live one we cooked was quite feisty. I don't take no for an
answer from an invertebrate, and from very few vertebrates. My first
degree was in animal science, after all. (I'll spare the boys on the ng
descriptions of the procedures we performed in reproductive physiology
and endocrinology lab back in the day ;-)

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 6, 12:53*pm, kent > wrote:
> On Dec 5, 6:32*pm, Cindy Fuller >
> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > >,

> > *kent > wrote:
> > > After our spectacular steamed live Dungeness Crabs yesterday, we
> > > decided to make crab newburg today. We needed more crab. I went to our
> > > local Prophylactic Emporium["SAFEWAY"] where crabs were on sale for
> > > $2.99/lb. They were, as usua,l precooked.

> > > The difference between steaming *live crab in the home versus the
> > > supermarket precooked crab wasn't like night and day. It was like
> > > summer versus winter.

> > > If you're anywhere near local Dungeness Crab search out your local
> > > Chinese fish market, or 99 Ranch, and get live crabs. You can numb it
> > > in the freezer before it hits the steam or the simmering pot.

> > > About steaming: I bought a large 30 CM fish steamer, a double decker,
> > > at 99 Ranch for less than $25 several years ago. Something similar at
> > > William Sonoma would cost 4X that much. It's worth it for the
> > > occasional seasonal crab, and of course lobster. It's also good for
> > > dim sum.

> > > Kent

> > I agree. *Central Market here (western WA) sells both live and precooked
> > Dungeness crabs. *We keep it in the fridge until just before it goes
> > into the pot. *The last one we cooked was particularly feisty.

> > Cindy

> > --
> > C.J. Fuller

> > Delete the obvious to email me- Hide quoted text -

> Try steaming. You can get a bamboo steamer for a reasonable price at
> most Chinese hardware stores. I bought a good sized metal steamer at
> 99 Ranch for about $25. The steamed crab is signifcantly better than
> crab in the pot.
>
> I didn't think of this until now. Steaming shrimp might make a
> substantial difference in the taste compared to boiling.
>
> Kent
>
> Kent

I think boiling shrimp pretty much boils out the taste. Steamed is a
great way to go or of course, sauteed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:26:34 -0800, Julian Vrieslander
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > As for Dungeness crabs, Cindy and I don't bother with any ritual
> > > executions - we just rassle them into the pot.

> > That's the only way to do it.

> The last live one we cooked was quite feisty. I don't take no for an
> answer from an invertebrate, and from very few vertebrates.

For those who have not seen it, Cindy's mug shot on the RFC web site
shows her giving last rites to one of these critters:

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/mug/sh...y%20Fuller.jpg

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-12-12, Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> For those who have not seen it, Cindy's mug shot on the RFC web site
> shows her giving last rites to one of these critters:
>
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/mug/sh...y%20Fuller.jpg

......then hit 'em over the head(?) with the bottle of French Champagne
you're going to drink with 'em.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TO BE HONEST WITH ALL OF YOU, IT SEEMS THAT NONE OF YOU KNOW HOW TO COOK
CRAB, ESP DUNGEES...LOL

I catch them all day here in washington state. 1st think you do when
you are clean them is to rid it of its shell, GUTS, and lungs. When you
talk about boiling a crab live, that means you are cooking all the guts
and lungs...lol

Lets see, show of hands who cooks their fish with the guts in it? And
the fish bought store crab is alreaye precook with the guts too and
believe me, I wouldnt touch that ....! lol

Plus, when you pay for c4rab at the store, you're paying for
everything, so you are actually getting ripped off, plus all the water
in a crab. Boy, a pound of crab cost you 7 bucks, but you are only
getting abour 2 dollars worth

here is a suggestion. Buy only legs of a crab, and if you do infact
buy a whole crab that is still alive, crack the midle part of the bottom
of the crab until it splits, then take both legs and fold then. this
will seperate the crab body parts which are good to eat, and todd away
all the guts and stuff. The boil in salt water for 11 minutes. You'll
never buy a store crab again!

--
DS655932
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DS655932 wrote:

> I catch them all day here in washington state. 1st think you do when
> you are clean them is to rid it of its shell, GUTS, and lungs. When you
> talk about boiling a crab live, that means you are cooking all the guts
> and lungs...lol
>
> Lets see, show of hands who cooks their fish with the guts in it? And
> the fish bought store crab is alreaye precook with the guts too and
> believe me, I wouldnt touch that ....! lol

Lobsters are cooked whole. Shrimp are deveined before cooking which is
an abbreviated cleaning of that sort. Soft shell crabs are cooked
whole. So it does depend on which crustacean it is whether it's cooked
whole or cleaned.

My wife was born in Seattle and grew up in Portland so she had fresh
dungeness all the time growing up. She always orders it cleaned first
so that's the way to have that type of crab.

> here is a suggestion. Buy only legs of a crab, and if you do infact
> buy a whole crab that is still alive, crack the midle part of the bottom
> of the crab until it splits, then take both legs and fold then. this
> will seperate the crab body parts which are good to eat, and todd away
> all the guts and stuff.

I like the body meat of duneness better than the leg meat. Probably
because of the amount of work involved in separating it from the shell.

> The boil in salt water for 11 minutes. You'll
> never buy a store crab again!

Unless you live well away from the ocean! I take it any way I can find
it here in Chicago metro.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-02, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> My wife was born in Seattle and grew up in Portland so she had fresh
> dungeness all the time growing up. She always orders it cleaned first
> so that's the way to have that type of crab.

Excuse me!? I've been eating D-crabs fer 60 yrs and have never ever
heard of cooking cleaned fresh D-crab. Ya don't even wash the ocean
water off! Ya cook 'em whole, then clean 'em.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 2, 9:28 am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-06-02, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
> > My wife was born in Seattle and grew up in Portland so she had fresh
> > dungeness all the time growing up. She always orders it cleaned first
> > so that's the way to have that type of crab.

> Excuse me!? I've been eating D-crabs fer 60 yrs and have never ever
> heard of cooking cleaned fresh D-crab. Ya don't even wash the ocean
> water off! Ya cook 'em whole, then clean 'em.

Not so. I've been posting about this since 1998. Here's what I wrote
in 2001:

"the world divides between those who clean them first and those who
clean them after. My half says, don't you take the guts out of other
animals before you cook them? Why would crab be different? So,
here's the
procedure.

"[In the interest of completeness, even though I completely disagree,
there
_are_ folks who think if you cook the beast whole then you may choose
eat some of those disgusting innards and call them "butter" the way
some
people do with lobster.]

"Put a large pot of water on to boil. When it's already boiling,
prepare the
crabs. Grab the legs on the left side of the crab with your left
hand, so
they don't grab you, and pull off the top shell. Grab the legs on the
right
side with your right hand. Break the crab in half. Now pull out the
gills
and the loose innards, rinse each half and throw in the pot. Cook at
least
nine minutes at the full boil, up to eleven if they're huge. Remove,
drain,
eat. This whole procedure is best done on the boat at lunchtime after
you've pulled up your crab pots that morning.

"Drawn/clarified butter, and lemon wedges are all that's needed. "

I was first shown how to do that in 1954 and it's still true in
2011. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-02, aem > wrote:

> I was first shown how to do that in 1954 and it's still true in
> 2011. -aem

Never seen such a thing in CA. Live n' learn. :\

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 2, 9:50 am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-06-02, aem > wrote:
>
> > I was first shown how to do that in 1954 and it's still true in
> > 2011. -aem

> Never seen such a thing in CA. Live n' learn. :\

That was in Southeast Alaska, where many people put out crab pots a
lot. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-02, aem > wrote:

> That was in Southeast Alaska, where many people put out crab pots a
> lot. -aem

If I ever make it back to the coast during crab season, I'll give it a
try. I usually go to the coast and get D-crab live off the boats.
OTOH, I have had good D-crab pre-cooked ....and cleaned!.... from the
mkt. Gotta be a mkt you trust, though.

I haven't tried 'em, here, in CO. I did run across some live D-crab
in Colo Sprngs, in an Asian mrkt with tanks, but I don't trust those.
Tried that once in CA, but thought I was gonna die. If it wasn't full
blown dysentery, it was damn close.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 2, 10:09 am, notbob > wrote:

> If I ever make it back to the coast during crab season, I'll give it a
> try. I usually go to the coast and get D-crab live off the boats.

That's the way to do it, all right. I think it's more a cultural
thing than a taste-changing thing. And they're maybe easier to pick
when you don't have to avoid the guts and gills.
>,,,,
> I haven't tried 'em, here, in CO. I did run across some live D-crab
> in Colo Sprngs, in an Asian mrkt with tanks, but I don't trust those.
> Tried that once in CA, but thought I was gonna die. If it wasn't full
> blown dysentery, it was damn close.

The live fish tanks in many Asian markets can be a crapshoot, I
agree. You're better off finding a real fishmonger you can trust, if
possible. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-06-02, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>

> > My wife was born in Seattle and grew up in Portland so she had fresh
> > dungeness all the time growing up. She always orders it cleaned first
> > so that's the way to have that type of crab.

> Excuse me!? I've been eating D-crabs fer 60 yrs and have never ever
> heard of cooking cleaned fresh D-crab. Ya don't even wash the ocean
> water off! Ya cook 'em whole, then clean 'em.
>
> nb

That's the only way I've ever seen it done here too. Cooked whole then
cleaned.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 10:39:48 -0700, Marcella Peek
> wrote:

>In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2011-06-02, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>

>> > My wife was born in Seattle and grew up in Portland so she had fresh
>> > dungeness all the time growing up. She always orders it cleaned first
>> > so that's the way to have that type of crab.

>> Excuse me!? I've been eating D-crabs fer 60 yrs and have never ever
>> heard of cooking cleaned fresh D-crab. Ya don't even wash the ocean
>> water off! Ya cook 'em whole, then clean 'em.
>>
>> nb

>That's the only way I've ever seen it done here too. Cooked whole then
>cleaned.
>

>marcella

Same in Florida for the past 35 years that I have witnessed. Show me a
restaurant that cleans their lobsters before cooking them. I've never
seen one. They are served intact and whole at the table...everywhere
that I've seen.

Obviously, the guts of the crab do not contaminate the meat. If it
did, it would be forbidden to serve it in that manner.

Try cooking a pig whole and uncleaned. The contamination of the meat
by the guts would more than likely not only make the meat nasty
tasting, but would kill you if you ate it.

Or a cow.

Or a chicken.

We're not discussing pigs, cows or chickens.

We're discussing the cooking of crabs. Only crabs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Jun 2011 16:28:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-06-02, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>

> > My wife was born in Seattle and grew up in Portland so she had fresh
> > dungeness all the time growing up. She always orders it cleaned first
> > so that's the way to have that type of crab.

> Excuse me!? I've been eating D-crabs fer 60 yrs and have never ever
> heard of cooking cleaned fresh D-crab. Ya don't even wash the ocean
> water off! Ya cook 'em whole, then clean 'em.

Yes, and it's not at all like cooking a fish or pig with guts inside
because they are separated from the body meat by cartilage, so it's
*very* easy to clean them after cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 10:56*am, Landon > wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 10:39:48 -0700, Marcella Peek
>

> > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > notbob > wrote:

> >> Excuse me!? *I've been eating D-crabs fer 60 yrs and have never ever
> >> heard of cooking cleaned fresh D-crab. *Ya don't even wash the ocean
> >> water off! *Ya cook 'em whole, then clean 'em.

> >> nb

> >That's the only way I've ever seen it done here too. *Cooked whole then
> >cleaned.

> >marcella

> Same in Florida for the past 35 years that I have witnessed. Show me a
> restaurant that cleans their lobsters before cooking them. I've never
> seen one. They are served intact and whole at the table...everywhere
> that I've seen.
>
> Obviously, the guts of the crab do not contaminate the meat. If it
> did, it would be forbidden to serve it in that manner.
>
> Try cooking a pig whole and uncleaned. The contamination of the meat
> by the guts would more than likely not only make the meat nasty
> tasting, but would kill you if you ate it.
>
> Or a cow.
>
> Or a chicken.
>
> We're not discussing pigs, cows or chickens.
>
> We're discussing the cooking of crabs. Only crabs.

It's called getting off topic...happens all the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> On Jun 2, 9:28 am, notbob > wrote:
>> On 2011-06-02, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>
>> > My wife was born in Seattle and grew up in Portland so she had fresh
>> > dungeness all the time growing up. She always orders it cleaned first
>> > so that's the way to have that type of crab.

>> Excuse me!? I've been eating D-crabs fer 60 yrs and have never ever
>> heard of cooking cleaned fresh D-crab. Ya don't even wash the ocean
>> water off! Ya cook 'em whole, then clean 'em.
>>

> Not so. I've been posting about this since 1998. Here's what I wrote
> in 2001:
>
> "the world divides between those who clean them first and those who
> clean them after. My half says, don't you take the guts out of other
> animals before you cook them? Why would crab be different? So,
> here's the
> procedure.
>
> "[In the interest of completeness, even though I completely disagree,
> there
> _are_ folks who think if you cook the beast whole then you may choose
> eat some of those disgusting innards and call them "butter" the way
> some
> people do with lobster.]
>
> "Put a large pot of water on to boil. When it's already boiling,
> prepare the
> crabs. Grab the legs on the left side of the crab with your left
> hand, so
> they don't grab you, and pull off the top shell. Grab the legs on the
> right
> side with your right hand. Break the crab in half. Now pull out the
> gills
> and the loose innards, rinse each half and throw in the pot. Cook at
> least
> nine minutes at the full boil, up to eleven if they're huge. Remove,
> drain,
> eat. This whole procedure is best done on the boat at lunchtime after
> you've pulled up your crab pots that morning.
>
> "Drawn/clarified butter, and lemon wedges are all that's needed. "
>
> I was first shown how to do that in 1954 and it's still true in
> 2011. -aem

I live on a Island in Puget Sound and either Crab from a boat or off of a
pier . Your method is pretty much how I do it. If you grip both legs at the
same time you can twist them away from the body in 2 sections. usually just
the gills need to be picked off. after this.
Nothing stinks up a house like cooked crab guts